Breaking news...Adelman era over (merged)

Troy said:
I hope the Maloofs have a plan and didn't pee off Petrie too much, they sure seem to be going over his head and are getting impatient with a championship not coming to Sacramento as we all are, but they are making a lot of huge moves lately, hopefully that will continue with a good quality coach (followed by the new coach assigning good assistant coaches) and a new downtown Sac area to enjoy our team in. Bring it home Sac town, bring it home.
Good point. If Petrie left than I would panic. I hope the Maloofs' didn't pee him off. They have to remember that only one team can win it each year, and it takes a special player on a team with players around him to be a true contender every year. Teams that juggle lineups like we have in the last 4 years are fodder for the true contenders.

no matter who we get as coach, I will always be a Kings fan. I lived through Phil Johnson, Jerry Reynolds(twice), Bill Russell, Dick Motta, Rex Hughes, Garry St. Jean, Eddie Jordan, Rick Adelman...and whoever's next, for however long it will be.

shaka zulu said:
K- mart wasn't producing early in the season, He was missing shots,Turning the ball over, He wasn't playing well
Yea and people seem to somehow think that just becuz K-Mart ended up playing effectively, that he should somehow have gotten more time at the beginning of the season. The truth is that unless one is an outstanding young player, he will be relegated to the bench until the need arises.

What people should look more at is the fact that after Martin received playing time, Adelman stuck with him....even going so far as to keep him in big playoff games (leading to big plays like the end of game 3 layup that we all know and love). It is more telling that he chose to stick with his second year player when it counted than it would be if he just played him in the regular season and just left him on the bench in crunch time. Yet people seem to overlook this fact and point the accusing finger needlessly.

This is probably the thread where I can vent my frustration. I cannot believe that this decision has been made. Rick has been a huge part of this franchise and was a very major ingridient in the success we have has over the last 7 years. He is a great coach who known how to handle those people that were considred to be trouble makers.

I think this is a wrong decision that will come back to haunt us. For the life of me I can't understand how a team like the Kings can afford to let a coach with a .700 winning record walk especially considering the make up of this team.

I am a very disappointed fan

I'm very very VERY disappointed in the decision as well.

Couldn't the Maloofs make sure they have a plan that would work and a coach in mind to replace him before they came up with this decision? Well, I sure hope they do cause there are not a lot of good coaches out there that would be available to us.

I just hope this doesn't begin a domino effect with pete carril leaving, geoff petrie, etc.

What will this do to Bibby? I think he has been very comfortable with Rick's system. I'm sure he'll adjust but I don't think he likes this; not that he's gonna do something stupid or anything.

And Artest? Whoever the next coach will be better be a proven coach because Artest is a tough player to handle.

I'm just not happy with this move AT ALL!

LMM said:
Couldn't the Maloofs make sure they have a plan that would work and a coach in mind to replace him before they came up with this decision?
I think the Maloofs probably already do have a coach in mind because it seem like they never wanted Adelman. It seem like they want a whole new system/direction.

just hope this doesn't begin a domino effect with pete carril leaving, geoff petrie, etc.
Pete Carril will also not be coming back most likely. As well the rest of the assistants because it was reported by Petrie that their contract will not be renew (guess it expires like Adelman's).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KingsChick said:
All i can say is, POOR MOVE by Geoff Petrie. I'm absolutely speechless. say it ain't so.
Oh, make no mistake about this, this came from above Geoff's head. In fact I rather suspect most of these big moves of the last year and a half came from over Geoff's head.

Bricklayer said:
Oh, make no mistake about this, this came from above Geoff's head. In fact I rather suspect most of these big moves of the last year and a half came from over Geoff's head.
I agree.

I think Geoff is only someone that has to front the media on the issue. Make no mistake this reeks of Maloofs doing.

Twix said:
I think the Maloofs probably already do have a coach in mind because it seem like they never wanted Adelman. It seem like they want a whole new system/direction.

Pete Carril will also not be coming back most likely. As well the rest of the assistants because it was reported by Petrie that their contract will not be renew (guess it expires like Adelman's).
yeah, they've been talking about change and all that. who they have in mind better be GOOD! seriously, if you're not gonna get anyone better than Rick, why replace him at all? :( That's just what I don't like about this. He's done a hell of a job in our "rebuilding years" and has made it to the playoffs 8 straight times. if he they'd only give him a chance with this group, who has a lot of upside, i'm sure he'll do an awesome job as usual.

really dumb move. hopefully the maloofs have a GREAT plan and a GREAT guy in mind cause it's gonna be tough to fill Adelman's shoes!

?arolija said:
I agree.

I think Geoff is only someone that has to front the media on the issue. Make no mistake this reeks of Maloofs doing.
Indeed. Geoff has had the same shellshocked look at each of the press conferences for Webb, Peja, and now Adelman.

LPKingsFan said:
Indeed. Geoff has had the same shellshocked look at each of the press conferences for Webb, Peja, and now Adelman.
Gut reaction: F*** the Maloofs. I don't know if this is accurate, maybe they know what they're doing, but that's just my gut reaction.

Bricklayer said:
You mean the moves that could quite possibly have us back in contention? If so, I don't care where they come from, I trust the Maloofs! They care about their franchise.

Think about it. Rick would have had to have been signed on for probably 5-6 years and what if the Maloofs decided to can him after that? They'd be on the hook for the remainer of his deal.

At least they had the class to let him finish off his deal, you know we were all surprised he even made it past last summer. Rick did great, but as the team did, the powers that be figure its time to move forward. I'll put my trust in the ownership of this team, and don't make any mistakes Geoff Petrie is still the "mastermind" behind this team.

Time for change. I am OK with that. I wouldn't have minded Rick back, but it's time to move on. I'll miss Rick, we all (even the haters) will, but just because he is gone I am not going to pass judgement on the decision to let him go. Or pass judgement the decisions to come, because I honestly believe in the Maloofs, Petrie, or whoever else has a say so in this team. They haven't done us wrong yet.

Wow... Just when I was starting to get over the low note we ended the season on...

I mean, I was really optimistic having actually scared the world champions...

I honestly can't get my head around this. Rick was an awesome coach.

Happy trails, old friend.

EDIT: I hope the Adelman haters are happy... but I do hope we at least get a guy half as good a coach as Rick was. I want them to see what talent Rick had, but I don't want the Kings hindered in the process.

Yes, I realize this may be...impossible.

Last edited:
BibityBobtyBoom said:
ill miss adelmen, but just think if it was RA who was holding us back all this time, lol.

Rick did his job. He got us to the playoffs every year! It was the players who didn't step up, or were plagued by injuries...

I am absolutely disgusted by this move, im dreading who will be our next coach and if he will drive Ron Artest outta here...

well i just finished reading all 28 pages, i just gto home from work adn saw this, i cannot believe it. adelman was a good coach for this team, the way he was with the players and the way he conducted himself on the court, he will be missed!

as i started to reas this thread i was reallly upset about this, and now that im typing this post i guess ive accepted that maloofs arent goin tot ake back what they did, so im holding my breath until the next move (not literally) lol

ugh, i agree with you bad boy bo, following the kings is like a soap opera!

I don't think you can fully put the blame on the Maloofs. Has Adelman stated he wanted to return as for next season? Perhaps he had his reasons not to continue to as coach of the Kings. :confused:

I for one will miss Rick greatly. I was one who always supported his style. With that said, I will not jump to any conclusions about what is to come. I feel the uncertainty that some of you feel. But we have felt that all year long, hence the drama. We have put our faith in Geoff and the Maloofs and we would be wise to keep it there. I don't think there is a better coach out there but I could be very wrong, which is why I will not criticize. And maybe there isn't a better coach available based on records or numbers, but there might be a great coach available that works with the peices we have. Our team is in transition and we have the potential to go many different directions. If we had kept Rick then we know which direction we would be going, and we could sleep better. But the uncertainty is not necessarily bad. We were very uncertain how the Ron Artest situation would pan out, but it seemed to work just fine. So lets just sit back and enjoy the ride.

The one thing that concerns me is the team leaving Sacramento. The firing of our beloved Adelman could be the first step to moving the team. As long as we don't become the Los Angeles Kings of Aneheim I will be cool.

piksi

Hall of Famer
RyanWiggum said:
I don't think you can fully put the blame on the Maloofs. Has Adelman stated he wanted to return as for next season? Perhaps he had his reasons not to continue to as coach of the Kings. :confused:
You have got to be kidding. After what they did to him last summer the whole blame is on them either way.

RyanWiggum said:
Exactly, who's to say he even wanted to come back?

I think we should wait and see who the replacement is before we jump to conclusions.

Petrie's decision or not- he's still on our staff and he's going to come up with something. I think the Maloofs will listen because I believe they WANT to win.

The fact is the Maloof's are treating this like the business it is. Say what you want about Adelman, they have not had the success that was expected of them. Were people shooting too high? Maybe, but everyone keeps shouting about the fact they won't find anyone "better". Maybe they are just tired of mediocrity, of never winning the big games, and just want to try something different. The Maloofs are smart enough business people to know that sometimes you need to make a change to shake things up, even if its uncomfortable, unpopular and risky. I for one am ready for the change and excited that they were gutsy enough to make it.