Breaking news...Adelman era over (merged)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Gary said:
I would LOVE to see a former player with no coaching exp apply for the job.

Seriously, I would. Someone not that far out of the league, that has court smarts. Someone mentioned Stockton. I would love to see him coaching.
Isn't Richmond some kind of assistant with Golden State. Him and Elie who is rumored to be almost ready as a head coach. I wouldn't mind either of those guys coming here.

Venom said:
There is a big name player who has quietly spent his time since retirement as an assistant, and that man is Patrick Ewing. It wouldn't shock me to see him come in. Or Magic Johnson. I really think the Maloofs are going to go with a HUGE name. PJ Carlesimo just isn't glamorous enough for those guys.
I thought the same thing about Pat Ewing. I don't know. Apparently he is making a big name for himself.

Depends on what they want. Do they want a coach that will bring in a new system, or a stiff in a suit and let Ron/Bibby/Bonzi basically run the team. Time will tell.

I just hope we have a tough defensive team next year.

KingCookie said:
Interesting...maybe he was just saying who he thought he'd see...

If it's an existing Asst. Coach they're going after, such as P.J., we won't know until after that team's season is over. That...would SUCK.
yeah, you would think...but thats only a couple weeks away. so it will happen after the season, and before the draft. stay tuned, obviously...

VF21 said:
Oh please. Kevin Martin had the talent and he worked very hard over this past summer to hone his skills and be ready.

Your comment about Adelman not playing Kevin is WRONG. Kevin was already starting to be a legitimate off-the-bench performer when he stepped up because of Bonzi's injuries. That wasn't in spite of Adelman.
in response to this persons opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka zulu
Rick adleman was instrumental in the Developemet of Kevin martin by telling kevin martin to think like Richard hamilton, Very innovative move by rick's part in observing the facts that kevin martin had a similar style of game as Rip. This lead to kevin being consistent at the free throw line and coming off of curls shooting the basketball the right way with high percentage. Wher is this Great coach that will develope the young player at.

ADELMAN wasn't instrumental in Kevin's development. When does Adelman really play his young players? He usually plays them out of necessity and lets their talent rot away on the bench. Kevin, wasn't getting any significant playing time before Bonzi went down. How could he really develop watching from the bench?
VF21, i already knew KMart had the talent. I didn't question his talent. The point i'm trying to get across is that adelman wasn't instrumental in his development. Players don't get good sitting on the bench. They need to be on the floor getting experience.

Venom said:
There is a big name player who has quietly spent his time since retirement as an assistant, and that man is Patrick Ewing. It wouldn't shock me to see him come in. Or Magic Johnson. I really think the Maloofs are going to go with a HUGE name. PJ Carlesimo just isn't glamorous enough for those guys.
Magic or Pat WILL NOT coach this team next season...let me repeat...WILL NOT coach this team...the decision will be more stabalizing than anything else, and neither one of those guys brings that, IMO.

SacTownKid said:
So am I the only one that wouldn't jump off a bridge in Don Nelson becomes the new head coach?
I wouldnt jump off the bridge if he comes here, only because I know he can coach defense and he's a players coach, but how much more can he do that he hasnt already, at his age?

I have always looked up to Stockton. He is a guy that probally was in the league as long as he was because of his court awareness, and his overall basketball IQ.

He wasn't athletic, he wasn't big, he wasn't tall, he didn't rely on outside shooting. The guy does not look like a basketball player. He is 6' 175, and lasted in the league for 19 years. At 40 years old he was still one of the best at leading his team. This man knows a lot about the game.

John Stockton is probally the best fundemental basketball player in the last 20 years to play the game. I would love a guy like this to lead our team.

I've already adapted myself to the idea of Nellie, and I have really hated watching his gargantuan belly strolling out on the court like a roly poly Mick Jagger wannabe.

Hey, if be becomes our coach - then he's my coach, and it is cool.

Francisco d'Anconia said:
I've already adapted myself to the idea of Nellie, and I have really hated watching his gargantuan belly strolling out on the court like a roly poly Mick Jagger wannabe.

Hmmm. I actually kind of liked that. :D

Still it's way premature to be discussing this, just because he and the Maloofs have a pre-existing relationship doesn't mean he is frontrunner #1. But I still believe they know exactly who they want and are just waiting for the right to announce it.

shaka zulu said:
He didn't do this, bonzi wanted those minutes dude, you crazy if you think bonzi wanted to sacrfice minutes in his Contract money year. He needed those minutes, He just knew he was hurting the team because they were winning a Doing good with his butt on the bench, He knew he wasn't healthy and he needed time to rest that groin injury because he knew he would risk missing the Season. Adleman was being the players coach that he is and giving bonzi seniority and knowing as a players coach that bonzi needed the playing time for his contract year.
OK....... So Bonzi is coaching the team? does Bonzi tell Adelman when to sub him in and out of the game? Thats basically what your telling me here. Coaches typically tell players when to get inthe game.

That is true, Adelman gives preference to "VETS". He chooses these guys over the young and talented players. That is one of his faults. We had a sorry *** record for the first half. He still wasn't developing his young guns! First half of the season, he allowed the serbian slacker to get minutes when he was giving a half hearted attempt night in and night out. If Adelman was about developing players, he woulda yanked the serbian slacker and put kmart in. As I recall, Kmart was getting less minutes than Garcia the first half of the season.

Gary said:
I have always looked up to Stockton. He is a guy that probally was in the league as long as he was because of his court awareness, and his overall basketball IQ.

He wasn't athletic, he wasn't big, he wasn't tall, he didn't rely on outside shooting. The guy does not look like a basketball player. He is 6' 175, and lasted in the league for 19 years. At 40 years old he was still one of the best at leading his team. This man knows a lot about the game.

John Stockton is probally the best fundemental basketball player in the last 20 years to play the game. I would love a guy like this to lead our team.
I've always like the underdog and for a guy like Stockton to be as influential, dominant, and make the others around him better...is awesome. I'd like a guy like him. It's hard though when you have a guy as successful as Rick was with the Kings, it's going to have to be over the top by the Maloofs, that's how they do it and they are big show offs. They go big or go home...so be prepared for a whopper. They are scounting Phil Jackson which would have been great seeing how he coached the Bulls, but he did have a truely remarkable player in Michael Jordan. The Maloofs really had things backfire with Rick, if they did actually intent to keep him in their back pocket, when he found out about them scouting Phil. Kind of like the situation when the deal didn't go through right away with Peja-Ron, it was like...oh crap now our guy's going to be pissed....we have to do it now and try again. :D

Francisco d'Anconia said:

I think that when Nellie is just asked to coach and not be GM/coach, you get alot more from him. He was both in Golden State and Dallas, but not in Milwaukee, where he coached a defensive minded Bucks team to 6 straight division titles and were contenders pretty much every year he was there.

KMart23 said:
in response to this persons opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka zulu
Rick adleman was instrumental in the Developemet of Kevin martin by telling kevin martin to think like Richard hamilton, Very innovative move by rick's part in observing the facts that kevin martin had a similar style of game as Rip. This lead to kevin being consistent at the free throw line and coming off of curls shooting the basketball the right way with high percentage. Wher is this Great coach that will develope the young player at.

ADELMAN wasn't instrumental in Kevin's development. When does Adelman really play his young players? He usually plays them out of necessity and lets their talent rot away on the bench. Kevin, wasn't getting any significant playing time before Bonzi went down. How could he really develop watching from the bench?
VF21, i already knew KMart had the talent. I didn't question his talent. The point i'm trying to get across is that adelman wasn't instrumental in his development. Players don't get good sitting on the bench. They need to be on the floor getting experience.
Developement doesn't always come with playing time, Majority of your Developement as player happens in practice with instruction, Kevin got playing time early in the year and he didn't take advantage of it, and maybe by peja being around hurt kevin martin, But when the season went along, Kevin stepped up with his outside shooting,which some of it had to do with him being Developed as a player and his perimeter shooting was needed,some of this was adleman and some of it was his playing time, but he had to take advantage of the chance to play. It's up for the player to take advantage of the playing time when they get it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Reminder to KMart23 and anyone else if it's appropriate - You can analyze this until there's no stone left unturned but calling our present or past players by derogatory names stops now. It just isn't germane to the discussion.

Thanks for understanding.

shaka zulu said:
Developement doesn't always come with playing time, Majority of your Developement as player happens in practice with instruction, Kevin got playing time early in the year and he didn't take advantage of it, and maybe by peja being around hurt kevin martin, But when the season went along, Kevin stepped up with his outside shooting,which some of it had to do with him being Developed as a player and his perimeter shooting was needed,some of this was adleman and some of it was his playing time, but he had to take advantage of the chance to play. It's up for the player to take advantage of the playing time when they get it.
Then again, I have heard players themselves say without playing time they will never truly develop.

PFFFT!! said:
Problem is...hard*** coaches take you to championships...Phil Jackson, Popovich, Coach K, Pat Riley, even king hard*** Bobby Knight took players to championships....you take your pick.
True with the exception of Phil Jackson who is famous for being a player's coach. Now, he coaches a tough, defensiver mentality but he does it in a laid back manner. It is very rare to see him get on his players much less even get up of the bench. How else would he be able to control such dominant personalities as Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, and the one player that makes Artest look normal... :eek: :eek: Dennis Rodman?

B

beemerr23

Sac.Kings said:
I can't believe they fired him (I actually can). Still, its a sad day for King's Fans...
Speak for yourself, I'm as happy as I've ever been as a Kings fan. Here's to a new beginning and a championship :)

Sac.Kings said:
Anybody know who is taking over as coach?
Anyone's guess at this point??? Do you have any suggestions??? Even some people here said that they make good coach coaches, we are all ears. Post your resume here and you could be in the running, seriously. :D

I hope the Maloofs have a plan and didn't pee off Petrie too much, they sure seem to be going over his head and are getting impatient with a championship not coming to Sacramento as we all are, but they are making a lot of huge moves lately, hopefully that will continue with a good quality coach (followed by the new coach assigning good assistant coaches) and a new downtown Sac area to enjoy our team in. Bring it home Sac town, bring it home.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Basically what they did was announce that they will NOT be renewing the contract that is set to expire.

And, for you late comers, there are lots of speculations already about a replacement in this thread AND in a thread in the Personnel Moves forum.

;)

i just read all 24 pages. wow!! this sucks. i know i've been down on adelman before and have thought that it was time for a change but only if there was someone else out there that was better. i don't see myself being a fan if nelly comes here.

thanks rick for a great run!! you should have a ring. we know the nba took one from you and an injury took one as well. good luck to you in whatever you do next!!! thanks again for 8 great years!!

It was nice always having that safety net of Adelman, because you knew what to expect. Sometimes that was good, sometimes it was bad. I'll leave it at sometimes change is a good thing. 8 years is a loooong time for a head coach to be with a team. Good or bad the future is uncertain, and that's kind of exciting.

KMart23 said:
OK....... So Bonzi is coaching the team? does Bonzi tell Adelman when to sub him in and out of the game? Thats basically what your telling me here. Coaches typically tell players when to get inthe game.

That is true, Adelman gives preference to "VETS". He chooses these guys over the young and talented players. That is one of his faults. We had a sorry *** record for the first half. He still wasn't developing his young guns! First half of the season, he allowed the serbian slacker to get minutes when he was giving a half hearted attempt night in and night out. If Adelman was about developing players, he woulda yanked the serbian slacker and put kmart in. As I recall, Kmart was getting less minutes than Garcia the first half of the season.
K- mart wasn't producing early in the season, He was missing shots,Turning the ball over, He wasn't playing well