Breaking news...Adelman era over (merged)

KevinMartinsGirl23 said:
Exactly, who's to say he even wanted to come back?

I think we should wait and see who the replacement is before we jump to conclusions.

Petrie's decision or not- he's still on our staff and he's going to come up with something. I think the Maloofs will listen because I believe they WANT to win.
If Adelman didn't want to come back it's because of the way the Maloofs have treated him over the past year.

Honestly, after the way the Maloofs have handled this situation Rick would have really had to swallow his pride to stay here, and I wouldn't be surprised if the decision is truly mutual. Either way, the blame in this situation is on the Maloofs. Whether you like Rick or hate him, he deserves our respect. He took over this team after a year where the team had won like 27 games....in a year. He took the team to the playoffs 8 times. Obviously he had some help in that he got great talent, but still, you don't take a coach that has given so much to your team & treat him without any respect.

I just hope this situation isn't one of those "don't know what you've got till it's gone" type of things....

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
sdballer said:
Maybe they are just tired of mediocrity, of never winning the big games, and just want to try something different.
Making the playoffs 8 years in a row is not "mediocrity". Handling big egos and getting them to play together as a team is not "mediocrity". Incorporating Ron-Ron into the offense and turning the season around is not "mediocrity".

He was a d*** good coach, and I hope they pick someone good to replace him.

He's going to get to hear the ARCO THUNDER reserved for beloved former players when he comes back, you can bet on it. How often do coaches hear something like that? :)

sdballer said:
The fact is the Maloof's are treating this like the business it is. Say what you want about Adelman, they have not had the success that was expected of them. Were people shooting too high? Maybe, but everyone keeps shouting about the fact they won't find anyone "better". Maybe they are just tired of mediocrity, of never winning the big games, and just want to try something different. The Maloofs are smart enough business people to know that sometimes you need to make a change to shake things up, even if its uncomfortable, unpopular and risky. I for one am ready for the change and excited that they were gutsy enough to make it.
Wow...8 straight years in the playoffs, 5 years of 50+ wins is mediocre?:eek:

I'm sad about this, but what's done is done. It is also good for RA that it happened right away, because now he is totally available on the market and any team looking knows it. That is likely to give him more options.

I hope we get a coach that turns out to be great for us, but it will not be easy to even match what Coach Adelman did here for 8 seasons.

kennadog said:
Wow...8 straight years in the playoffs, 5 years of 50+ wins is mediocre?:eek:

I'm sad about this, but what's done is done. It is also good for RA that it happened right away, because now he is totally available on the market and any team looking knows it. That is likely to give him more options.

I hope we get a coach that turns out to be great for us, but it will not be easy to even match what Coach Adelman did here for 8 seasons.
That's just the problem. As fans during the Randy Breur/Tisdale/L-Train era, we got so used to losing that even making the playoffs became a huge success. No denying that Adelman helped this team reach the playoffs, but simply making the playoffs every year is not enough for people that want to win more. Is Adelman to blame? Not alone, but if this team is going to change its image and give itself a shot to do more than just make the playoffs, they Maloofs (and some of us fans) think that they are making the right call. I want a coach that leads their team with the same sense of urgency and determination of the true winners in this league.

A

AriesMar27

if miller and thomas are still here next year we are screwed..... i cant think of another coach that could make them productive.... miller might be asked more than he can do, like play in the post, defend and block shots....

sdballer said:
That's just the problem. As fans during the Randy Breur/Tisdale/L-Train era, we got so used to losing that even making the playoffs became a huge success. No denying that Adelman helped this team reach the playoffs, but simply making the playoffs every year is not enough for people that want to win more. Is Adelman to blame? Not alone, but if this team is going to change its image and give itself a shot to do more than just make the playoffs, they Maloofs (and some of us fans) think that they are making the right call. I want a coach that leads their team with the same sense of urgency and determination of the true winners in this league.
Careful what you wish for........

Does this guy look familiar??

All I know is teams are licking their chops now that Adelman is a free agent. And whoever gets the Kings coaching job must be licking his chops too.

Sad to Adelman go, but I'm still excited for the future.

KingKong said:
All I know is teams are licking their chops now that Adelman is a free agent. And whoever gets the Kings coaching job must be licking his chops too.

Sad to Adelman go, but I'm still excited for the future.
Ditto...and I think that it probably will come down to 3 guys: Don Nelson, Michael Cooper, and PJ Carlesimo. And as I've been saying for awhile now, Don Nelson CAN coach defense...his Bucks were one of the top defensive team in the 80's, if not the best. He won 7 straight division titles, and had a team that boasted 2-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year Sidney Moncrief, Paul Pressey, Alvin Robertson, Craig Hodges and Terry Cummings. I remember watching them play back in the day, they were lights out on defense.(and I'm not saying that thats who I want as coach, either, I was just pointing that fact out)

Last edited:
good riddance, i say. i will be very, very, very surprised if adelman ever coaches a team to championship. he is way conservative to win it big. tight rotation during the season, short leash on younger players, obstinacy to bench his "proven" players, etc.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Circa_1985_Fan said:
Ditto...and I think that it probably will come down to 3 guys: Don Nelson, Michael Cooper, and PJ Carlesimo. And as I've been saying for awhile now, Don Nelson CAN coach defense...his Bucks were one of the top defensive team in the 80's, if not the best. He won 7 straight division titles, and had a team that boasted 2-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year Sidney Moncrief, Paul Pressey, Alvin Robertson, Craig Hodges and Terry Cummings. I remember watching them play back in the day, they were lights out on defense.(and I'm not saying that thats who I want as coach, either, I was just pointing that fact out)
That was close to a quarter-century ago. He...and the NBA...have changed.

This is the right decision. The team needs to go in another direction. We need to get better defensively and need have a different culture. The Rick era is over. He did this franchise proud but we as a team need to move on. Look at what Dallas did got rid of Nelson and hire Avery a more defensive coach this what we need to do. We need to become a better defensive team and it starts with the coach.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I posted a question in the ESPN chat this morning but BJ didn't really answer it....

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=11664

Ron (Sacramento, CA): What do you think of the Rick Adelman situation? Where do you think he'll end up coaching next and who do you see manning the bench for the Kings next year? Thanks.

SportsNation B.J. Armstrong: (11:16 AM ET ) It's always sad when a coach is fired, especially a true gentleman like Rick Adelman. It's discouraging to see bad things happen to good people. But the only people who can turn things around there are the players. I hope Rick lands on his feet because he's a good coach and his record speaks for itself, as does his makeup. He is a great guy to be around and hopefully things work out for him.