2021 NBA Draft Superthread

Who do you think the Kings end up drafting in tonight?

• Wagner

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • Sengun

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Moody

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Johnson

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Kuminga

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • They’ll end up trading the pick.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Queta can run, block, get into passing lanes, and is a surprisingly good passer. He can't shoot worth a damn and he's a little older than some guys but he is very much the sort of value pick you go for in the 2nd round.
This was a very, very win now defensive draft. I think he's a Whiteside/Jones replacement in their eyes.

No clue they'd pick Mitchell -- only saw him in the final - didn't even watch 'tape'.....just watched his highlights now....he likes to yell. -- kidding aside he looks like an NFL RB playing basketball....there's a bit of Baron Davis reminiscent (though no where near the hops) - he looks ready to mix it up physically.....he exudes intensity. No problem with the left either.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Not that I put a lot of stock on Perk's analysis but if that's all we get from the ESPN guys is "he will be their starting center by the end of the season" I can f with that. I have said in the Bags fallout that I'd like to just try to steal bigs in the second round or Euro stash guys as long as NBA is guard/wing league.

And again, taking the best D guy look, it may not be sexy but I like it and its a lot better than super team but young as a team identity.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not that I put a lot of stock on Perk's analysis but if that's all we get from the ESPN guys is "he will be their starting center by the end of the season" I can f with that. I have said in the Bags fallout that I'd like to just try to steal bigs in the second round or Euro stash guys as long as NBA is guard/wing league.

And again, taking the best D guy look, it may not be sexy but I like it and its a lot better than super team but young as a team identity.
Right, we had the worst defense in NBA history so maybe it's okay to just grab guys who don't suck at defense and go from there.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

It's not sexy but I sure like this plan a heck of a lot better than what OKC is doing with their all upside team of prospects who might not even be in the NBA in 5 years.

Defensive team, but bad?

I'm fine with the pick. I hope Luka Garza gets drafted. That guy was an absolute beast in college and while I understand the game has shifted away from his play style, I can't imagine he'd be any worse than a really solid backup C in the NBA.

the problem with Mitchell isn’t whether he is a good or bad player. Players need time to progress and he isn’t going to get it behind Fox, Hali and Wright. Neither he or Terrance Davis are likely to progress.
I dont know about likeliness to progress.....the Kings liked what they saw.....and just happy they didn't pick Segun. I if they stand pat, you're gonna see alot of guard pairings to see what works best and why.

I guess if you like Mitchell and saw him as BPA this is easier to rationalize. I didn't have him top 20 in this draft so the terrible positional fit just makes me more disappointed in the pick. He had one fluke year of outside shooting but his FT% is a bigger hint that he'll be a poor shooter in the NBA.

I think his ceiling is a smaller Marcus Smart and I don't know how valuable that player is.
To be clear, I’m not saying Mitchell was or wasn’t BPA. I said this before, but will say again that I knew less about this year’s prospects than I have in a long while. Just didn’t follow or watch as much as I typically do.

If McNair had Mitchell at the top of his board when #9 was on the clock, I applaud him for taking BPA and not reaching for need. Although the KINGS clearly do have defensive needs, so it worked out well in that respect. But they didn’t have a strong need for another guard.

Regardless, I’m ok with the selection for those reasons. That, and Mitchell’s biggest strength is different than that of Fox and Hali.

But if you didn’t have Mitchell as BPA I can understand the disappointment. I felt the exact same way when Bagley was selected #2. I didn’t have him among my top 6.

I think the player we wanted was Franz. The real culprit tonight is Toronto. Orlando was expecting to get Barnes but had to take Suggs. If they had taken Barnes than they woulda grabbed Mitchell at 8 but instead of taking two guards they grabbed Wagner. Anyway, I think Mitchell ends up being a difference maker and solid player but we really need help in the front court. I don’t think bringing back Holmes and drafting Davion moves the needle that much so I understand why some are frustrated with the pick.