Why Isn't Sasha Playing?

Sasha's less minutes are a part of a bigger problem. I don't remember watching anywhere players in a starting line-up struggling so obviously as HB and Huerter and still keeping their spots constantly. It's new to me to see a coach not willing to try switching the minutes of a sub in a good form with one of the starters. Yes, I am a fan of Vezenkov, but I see a bigger pottential to the whole team not being exploit. Keon is young and it was obvious at some point in the end of 2023 that him receiving more time would bring about the same numbers and even better role in def. than Huerter. Also you're developing a new young player. And having Trey fill his minutes with so much makes you wonder what if he became a starter.
It's odd to me that this psychological instrument called "benching" isn't applied here. If you're HB or Kevin and you are benched and reduced to 12 minutes playtime, your motivation grows by the second. Not to mention their subs who suddenly realize that it's time to impress everyone.
But with two starters having so many ups and downs, still keeping their spots on the field, the subs don't truly believe they will get more playtime, except for injury issues amongst the starting 5. This leads to what a coach once told me "the lazy bench" - meaning a player coming in targets his usual numbers and is afterwards just trying not to make a mistake. His hunger is taken away because no matter what he does, he will always be a sub.
I really felt that it would be nice to try and see (for at least a couple of games) Trey as a starting PF and Sasha as his backup, Keegan at the 3 and HB with the second unit; and Keon keeping his time for a while. It would've triggered so much new things that some of them surely would've become upgrades to the team, which would help get more wins. But not even trying something different looks like as an "It's fine where we at" attitude. And the Kings could've been 2-3 spots up, I really believe that.
At last, throughout the season I read some interviews with european coaches and players who also noticed the natural chemistry between Sasha and Sabonis. This is a whole another puzzle to me - why don't they play together more often?
Barnes was being actively hunted last night and his -18 plus minus was indicative of his performance. Why Mike put him back in the game I truly don’t understand.

Sasha was going to have an uphill battle getting PT this year and I was pleasantly surprised when he got some decent action early on.
But if he's healthy, and with Monk and Heurter out, there is no way he isn't one of the top 9 guys on the team.

Unfortunately, I think yesterday we saw the last from Sasha for this season. I doubt that Mike Brown will use him in the play-in tournament and will stick to his 8-man rotation with Lyles, Len and Mitchell.

A worrying sign is that Sasha seems increasingly disengaged and disappointed that he has not been given many chances to prove himself.

I am calling it right now - Sasha will get traded at some point and will have his career high against the Kings xD

Both the former Euroleague MVPs the last two seasons had terrible rookie seasons in the NBA, would not be shocked if both or one of them just came to a mutual ending of their contracts with their clubs and went back to Europe. I didn't really see the fit for Micic in OKC and that turned out true and for Sasha, Keegan is basically a better version of what he does (in the NBA) plus defense/athletic ability. It general coming to the NBA after you have turned 25+ rarely turns out well. Sasha could eventually be a less athletic/smarter Bertans type player but even Bertans is buried/was buried the last 2-3 seasons in the NBA.

Sasha was playing well before his injury. After his return, he is out of sorts especially in defense. He is not hitting wide open threes either. He can be a good reserve/bench player but it is too late for him this year.

Unfortunately, I think yesterday we saw the last from Sasha for this season. I doubt that Mike Brown will use him in the play-in tournament and will stick to his 8-man rotation with Lyles, Len and Mitchell.

A worrying sign is that Sasha seems increasingly disengaged and disappointed that he has not been given many chances to prove himself.

I am calling it right now - Sasha will get traded at some point and will have his career high against the Kings xD
Sasha came over with a fantastic attitude and showed toughness on defense and performed well when given the chance. This positive attitude has been squashed by our personnel genius Coach of the Year who gave him inconsistent opportunities even when he performed well early/mid season. But I'm glad this approach paid off for the team in us nabbing the tenth seed.

For the reading impaired, no, I'm not suggesting playing Sasha more would have been the difference between the tenth seed and something higher. I'm suggesting that Brown's coaching abilities, including his vaunted personnel skills, have a very clear ceiling, and that is what held us back this year, and that one such example is how Sasha was treated.

Last edited:
Sasha came over with a fantastic attitude and showed toughness on defense and performed will when given the chance. This positive attitude has been squashed by our personnel genius Coach of the Year who gave him inconsistent opportunities even when he performed well early/mid season. But I'm glad this approach paid off for the team in us nabbing the tenth seed.

For the reading impaired, no, I'm not suggesting playing Sasha more would have been the difference between the tenth seed and something higher. I'm suggesting that Brown's coaching abilities, including his vaunted personnel skills, have a very clear ceiling, and that is what held us back this year, and that one such example is how Sasha was treated.
Amen bro ,
If I write this I will be told that I am here only because of Vezenkov and not fair to Brown ….
But coach might by great coach , but is very very poor psychological… and he just can’t use the max of the other 8/10 players in the team besides Murray and maybe Monk …
Sabonis and Fox a different bread ….
As far for Vezenkov he will come back to Oly , I can’t see him under MB for one more year , hi might commit suicide …

Amen bro ,
If I write this I will be told that I am here only because of Vezenkov and not fair to Brown ….
But coach might by great coach , but is very very poor psychological… and he just can’t use the max of the other 8/10 players in the team besides Murray and maybe Monk …
Sabonis and Fox a different bread ….
As far for Vezenkov he will come back to Oly , I can’t see him under MB for one more year , hi might commit suicide …
It would be insane for Sasha to stay another year under these conditions. If we get a new coach, maybe he stays. I don't see him staying under Brown. He's either traded, goes back to Greece, or Brown is fired.

Brown's antics also played out in the Davion/Keon situation. Maybe that works for young players. But getting jerked around like that for apparently reasons not connected to your productivity is a predictable way to sour a mid-career high performing international player. He wasn't asking for special treatment. Just not the whackadoodle rotation pattern he was given.

MB won’t be fired , everybody in Sacramento loves him , and there is reason for that of course ….
As far as have heard/read from Sasha he will most probably for back to Oly and try to bring their Eurolegue story to a happy end ….
( here I truly don’t know if there is suitable team in NBA for him with European coach haha )
Then maybe he can try one more year

He’s on a 2 year deal with a club option for a 3rd. He can’t just go back. He’s here at least one more season without getting traded.
I don’t think the Kings would hold him hostage if he wants to return to Europe. He’s out of the rotation, costs money, and takes up a roster spot. If he wants out, I think the Kings easily grant him a buyout that makes sense for both sides

What will be a buy out in that case ?
it’s not happening, but if it were it would be something like we will give you 4mm to go away instead of the 6 we owe you.

he’s not dead weight on the roster, zero chance they eat up cap space paying a player with essentially 2 years left. One that is also very tradeable per contract size.

Ok I admit I am very week in the the trading rules there…
But is clear he can’t afford one more lost year … after all he is pretty old for professional level sports

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I don't see it as a lost year. Unless you're "THE GUY", there's always going to be a learning curve heading into the NBA. Not all rookies get a lot of burn their first year, unless you're a top 5(ish) pick, and even that's not guaranteed. So much is dependent upon circumstance.
This year, the Kings are scratching and clawing into the playoff picture. If they were out of it a few weeks ago, or resting players for an upcoming first round, you would probably see more of Vezenkov.

What happens next year is going to be a product of a few things:
1. Does Barnes come back?
2. Does Murray take another leap?
3. What changes will Sasha make?

And more.
My point is that none of these things have to do with coach Brown. Anyone who has played knows that if you can find a way to positively impact the game, you'll see minutes. Duarte is an example of someone who lost minutes because he wasn't producing, and the resurgence of Mitchell (and emergence of Ellis) show that whatever helps the team win is rewarded with more time.

We can wonder what Sasha is or isn't doing in practice, but he's also having to adjust to the NBA, and I'm sure witnessing it first-hand will give him some insight into what he needs to work on this off-season to be ready when called upon.
I would love to have him be in the game during clutch situations since he has proven capable big moments, but he's not currently integrated into that part of the rotation. Just his presence as a sharpshooter would open up lanes again.

Barnes and Murray are in front of him for starting minutes, and he doesn't seem to be able to contribute at the 3 or 5, so it's going to be a tough row to hoe for big minutes, especially with Colby and Trey making the most of their time on the court count.

I don't see it as a lost year. Unless you're "THE GUY", there's always going to be a learning curve heading into the NBA. Not all rookies get a lot of burn their first year, unless you're a top 5(ish) pick, and even that's not guaranteed. So much is dependent upon circumstance.
This year, the Kings are scratching and clawing into the playoff picture. If they were out of it a few weeks ago, or resting players for an upcoming first round, you would probably see more of Vezenkov.

What happens next year is going to be a product of a few things:
1. Does Barnes come back?
2. Does Murray take another leap?
3. What changes will Sasha make?

And more.
My point is that none of these things have to do with coach Brown. Anyone who has played knows that if you can find a way to positively impact the game, you'll see minutes. Duarte is an example of someone who lost minutes because he wasn't producing, and the resurgence of Mitchell (and emergence of Ellis) show that whatever helps the team win is rewarded with more time.

We can wonder what Sasha is or isn't doing in practice, but he's also having to adjust to the NBA, and I'm sure witnessing it first-hand will give him some insight into what he needs to work on this off-season to be ready when called upon.
I would love to have him be in the game during clutch situations since he has proven capable big moments, but he's not currently integrated into that part of the rotation. Just his presence as a sharpshooter would open up lanes again.

Barnes and Murray are in front of him for starting minutes, and he doesn't seem to be able to contribute at the 3 or 5, so it's going to be a tough row to hoe for big minutes, especially with Colby and Trey making the most of their time on the court count.
When you have a coach who obviously doesn’t count on you , and you have lost the momentum (comming after two very strong seasons in Europe ) and is very questionable if you can keep your motivation high the season is totally lost …
The way Brown treated Vezenkov (for me ) is total absurd ….
They brought him with big contract and expectations to be part of the rotation at least , while he is actually the guy who brings water to the rest …
The fact that in last 20/30 games where he played he has less then 1 minute all together with sabonis is something I can’t understand at all …
I think even the scouts of the other teams can see that they both fit very well , but we can’t ….
And the great explanation from the summer - he is poor in defence sounds funny when he is nothing worst then Barnes , and actually we lost most of the game because of bad attack not bad defence
All in all I can’t see Brown and Vezenkov at one place and while one is with status of god and the other of servant , result sounds logical - the servant goes out

P.S. here is the big question mark what was left unseen for us and whew the connection between them broke ….
Cause in first 15/20 games Vezenkov was give stable 15/18 minutes with episodes of 20/22 min when he “has a day”

I hate criticizing our guys, but I don't see why fans are so high on Vezenkov. His footwork looks much too deficient to guard anybody, and I don't see him doing anything useful with the ball if he can't immediately get a shot up. What am I missing?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
which isn’t happening.
Even accounting for the possibility that the worst case is true and the relationship between Sasha and Brown is irreparably damaged - something I am not ready to concede - he's here and under contract and I am sure there are teams that would love him in a trade package.

This is a Monte problem, always was. Monte has a lot of salary tied up in players that might have a future with the team but are taking up decent chunks of his cap space. Sasha and Duarte are two prime examples. Monk and Huerter being out is the only reason the Kings haven't been running 4 guard units most likely which has mostly been a disaster this season as opposing teams have gotten bigger and tougher. Now Monte's problem is if he can't land something to help push his team in terms of talent in a consolidation type of move, are there teams out there willing to help him cut some salary? This is a 50/50 chance of run it right back again and pay big money to do it kind of thing. Every year the question of "work the minutes out" is posed, and every year the answer is the same thing when reality hits. It can't be done.

Do you think the thought hasn't crossed his mind? Are you saying he hasn't had a conversation with his agent about this? Anything can happen. Might even be doing the Kings a favor by freeing up a roster spot. Who knows what Oly is prepared to offer now.
what happened in the past few months? You were this fun loving poster spoofing Italian food jokes and memes. This was before we became good. For a while I thought you were an active poster using a second account to be funny. But now you are just angry and upset.

I don’t mean this to be condescending, but I’m sure it will come off that way, are you ok?

Guess who is not at the picture of the team with the Defence crown ... For first time this season .. (just noticed but decided not to spoil the other tread :) )
@macadocious
There ara uncofirmed roumours that such meetings (for termination of his contract) already happened even before the injuries ...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
When you have a coach who obviously doesn’t count on you , and you have lost the momentum (comming after two very strong seasons in Europe ) and is very questionable if you can keep your motivation high the season is totally lost …
The way Brown treated Vezenkov (for me ) is total absurd ….
They brought him with big contract and expectations to be part of the rotation at least , while he is actually the guy who brings water to the rest …
The fact that in last 20/30 games where he played he has less then 1 minute all together with sabonis is something I can’t understand at all …
I think even the scouts of the other teams can see that they both fit very well , but we can’t ….
And the great explanation from the summer - he is poor in defence sounds funny when he is nothing worst then Barnes , and actually we lost most of the game because of bad attack not bad defence
All in all I can’t see Brown and Vezenkov at one place and while one is with status of god and the other of servant , result sounds logical - the servant goes out
Sasha isn't the first player by far to come over from Europe and not get lots of playing time his first year. And??? You want it just given to him despite his injury, working on adapting to the NBA game, etc.?

He'll work hard in practice to earn it like everyone else. There were never any guarantees about playing time or role coming over to the NBA. He knew that. But that's up to him to change, not the coach. We have development staff working with each player to improve their games.

I like him and sincerely hope he can work his way into the rotation - I was excited to hear he was coming over. Hopefully he can!