What WE Can Do - The Official Brainstorming Thread

Ryan

I like turtles
To my people:

It's time for KingsFans.com members to step up and be heard.

Through all the uncertainty, there is one thing we can do: support this team and go to games. Seattle didn't sell out games amid the relocation drama - but what if we did?

I want to open up this thread to brainstorming. What can we do to get butts in seats?

What if we set out to get as many people to go to the Spurs/Kings game, Sunday February 10th.

I will personally contact every friend I have in Sacramento and ask them to go to the game. I'll offer free video services in trade. I'll buy tickets if I have to (well, maybe a few). I might even put some things up on craigslist and use the money to buy tickets. Who's with me on this one? It's not much, but it's better than sitting on my *** speculating. Thoughts? Ideas?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I like this idea. We need as many different ways as possible for Kings fans to show their support for the Sacramento Kings. Crown Downtown is doing its part. I'd like to see some additional ideas by people on more ways we can show our community and team pride. After all, if not now - when?

GO KINGS!

There is a big push to sell-out the Feb 9th game by multiple grassroots movements. Its been labeled the Here We Buy night. Unfortunately, we are a long way from selling out that game and its a Saturday night. I've bought 5 tickets for that one, so Feb 10th is not doable for me.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I think instead of so many fractured groups trying to do things, find a group you can help and join in. That is why kennadog, Captain Factorial, and myself (to name a few) are helping Mike with the Crown Downtown effort.

Please consider following what we are trying to do and showing up at the CD events, etc. KJ has been very thankful for our support and we can use all the bodies we can get for the last push over the next few months.

Thanks!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think instead of so many fractured groups trying to do things, find a group you can help and join in. That is why kennadog, Captain Factorial, and myself (to name a few) are helping Mike with the Crown Downtown effort.

Please consider following what we are trying to do and showing up at the CD events, etc. KJ has been very thankful for our support and we can use all the bodies we can get for the last push over the next few months.
"Crown Downtown" is on Facebook - like us and you'll get to see all the updates on what we're doing!

We are also on Twitter.

We do as much as we can but we pick our spots too. We have attended many city council meetings and have fun events like playing basketball at the arena, going to LA to cheer on our Kings, have a viewing party along with a pub crawl and so much more.

Our group has earned the respect and support of so many from within our community along with business leaders, the city council and its staff and of course Mayor Johnson, who has said he fully supports Crown Downtown (it's on video). As a matter of fact he showed up to our viewing party.

If anyone would like to join us for the Kings vs Jazz on Feb 9, we are having a group meet up for it. We already have 37 and should break the 40 mark by tomorrow.

We also have some ideas in the works for the game but I won't go into detail on it right now due to the sensitivity of...OK, now I sound like a media guy. But yeah we have some good ideas on how to show our support. It is going to be a fun night.

If you are interested in joining the #BestInTheWorld please call the Kings at 916-928-3634 and mention Crown Downtown for $49 lower level tickets to sit with us.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Ryan is talking about trying to encourage people to attend as many games as possible, not just featured ones. Sunday games are often better for people with families, for example, as they start earlier. If we can raise the attendance at all the games, it would seem to me that everybody wins.

Crown Downtown has done a lot and is, of course, the leader in the field. I just think the idea of individual members thinking of ways to supplement what CD is doing might be worth pursuing.

Warhawk

Staff member
VF, you are, of course, correct. Helping to organize folks going to game is a good way to get some attendance increases.

A new owner and better team would also do wonders! ;)

I think the question is that for who want to help (like Ryan!) - where can my efforts do the most good?

Organizing folks to go to games is great. The more the merrier! I would NEVER discourage folks from getting a group of friends together to head to STA. I took my father-in-law to the Suns game. I would go to the games on the 9th or 10th but am going to be out of town.

But the public support of the City Council and KJ is what will help get an arena deal done, and, in turn, possibly help keep the Kings. Getting 20 people to show up at a designated City Council meeting (or to an event like the viewing party, etc.) will do a lot more for the effort of keeping the Kings and getting a new arena than 20 people showing up to a random Kings game. It is where the TV cameras are, it is where the newscasters show what is being done, and it is where the war of public perception is taking place. And we could use the "show of force" over the next couple months in this battle to save the team. An extra 20 folks at a CC meeting in white shirts has a HUGE visual impact on everyone there CC members, news media, etc.) due to the smaller venue.

I would also encourage folks to sell out the "publicized" games first, as those are the ones that the news agencies will comment on. Bumping attendance at a random game from 12,500 to 12,750 doesn't "register" to the news. Publicized sellouts do! They still bring up the organized sellouts and other activities from when we thought the team was moving to Anaheim.

And Ryan, your filmmaking skills may be of larger use than any push to sell tickets to a game. Had you considered that?

This is in no way meant to discourage anyone from trying to get folks to go to games - please do! We have been encouraging that for a couple years now. This is to also encourage people to get involved at a deeper level that has a huge impact outside the arena walls, where the battle for keeping the Kings in Sacramento is also taking place.

This isn't an "either/or" situation. This is a request for an "and" result. ;)

Ryan, thanks for coming here and trying to figure out how to get folks to go to games. If I was home that weekend I would join you at the game on the 10th. This will be my last comment here about CD. I wasn't trying to hijack the thread or discourage new ideas. I apologize if that is the way it came across.

Last edited:

Ryan

I like turtles
Just a thought, for those fans from out of the Sac area (and of course the locals as well) A great symbolic showing of support for the Sacramento kings might be to send cowbells painted with the words Sacramento Kings to Sterns office. A pile of say 10,000 cowbells might be hard to ignore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyV2cPLuFuA
Just a thought, for those fans from out of the Sac area (and of course the locals as well) A great symbolic showing of support for the Sacramento kings might be to send cowbells painted with the words Sacramento Kings to Sterns office. A pile of say 10,000 cowbells might be hard to ignore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyV2cPLuFuA
That's amazing! Why aren't we doing this?

And my apologies if this came out the wrong way. I want to help out in any way I can. I'm very open to any outside the box ideas, like the cowbells. That was the main point of creating this thread.

Warhawk

Staff member
That's amazing! Why aren't we doing this?
That is actually a pretty decent idea. Where can you get some at a low cost? And instead of sending them to Stern, we should send them to the arenas around the league so they get to team owners/management with a nice little note attached. They are the ones voting, not Stern.

Ryan

I like turtles
That is actually a pretty decent idea. Where can you get some at a low cost? And instead of sending them to Stern, we should send them to the arenas around the league so they get to team owners/management with a nice little note attached. They are the ones voting, not Stern.
Agreed. I wonder if we could put together a little "Kings Package" for all the owners. I can edit a quick 3 minute video on why they should keep the kings, then put it on a flash drive with the cowbell. You can buy flash drives in bulk for very cheep.

What are the chances we can get an actual cow to make the delivery?

...that part was a joke.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Agreed. I wonder if we could put together a little "Kings Package" for all the owners. I can edit a quick 3 minute video on why they should keep the kings, then put it on a flash drive with the cowbell. You can buy flash drives in bulk for very cheep.

...that part was a joke.
It is difficult to find a cow athletic enough to make the tour of 30 offices but wouldn't that be a hoot if it could be done? cow.gif Anyway, this is a great idea. I don't even think I need to explain the impact this might have especially on members sitting on the fence. It also is so easy to be pulled off assuming making a 3 minute video is easy. I presume you have enough data to create a new video from old stuff.

We would need to take up a collection for what seems to me a minimal expense to pull this off. Heck, the hardest part might be to find 30 cowbells. I haven't shopped recently so don't have a clue. If you need money and someone to put together packages, contact me.

This is brilliant, BTW. Minimum expense so great bang for the buck. If the package is sent to people who have already made up their mind, it is very little wasted money. It's that little touch that makes this community stand out from others.

Did I say this is brilliant? :)

Warhawk

Staff member

...that part was a joke.
Does the Chick-fil-a cow moonlight? ;)

There are cowbells at Amazon.com for $5-10 each. The ones that are purple seem pretty cheaply made. But these are just for effect, so we may not need expensive ones. Then just put the Kings logo on it?

http://www.amazon.com/Cowbells-purp...=UTF8&qid=1359151590&sr=8-10&keywords=cowbell

CleanFunPromo.com apparently made some for a promotion (not sure how much they would cost, but I have emailed them to ask):

http://www.cleanfunpromo.com/sacramento-kings-cowbell/

So, a couple places to start....

Last edited:
Wonder if the bell could be attached to a purple spotted cow wearing a collar with Sacramento on it (cardboard piece?)

Just off hand I checked and could find colored cowbells at $0.87 each. That looked liked the cheapest and that's wholesale. An order of 10,000 would cost at least $8,700. I think we need a cheaper idea.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We have support on other fan boards. How cool would it be if say 25 Indiana Pacer fans had cowbells at one of their games and used them to show solidarity with our cause?

Ryan

I like turtles
I presume you have enough data to create a new video from old stuff.

Also, in your opinion, what are the key selling points for the owners? Should we just stick to showing the love affair we have with the Kings? My biggest question all along is how to show that we're doing things differently than Seattle.

Last edited:

Ryan

I like turtles
We have support on other fan boards. How cool would it be if say 25 Indiana Pacer fans had cowbells at one of their games and used them to show solidarity with our cause?
I love it. Though I'm concerned Seattle fans might start doing the same thing. Should we make this a private discussion?? :confused:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Glad folks like the idea. Locally you should be able to get cowbells at Michal's art supply and Wolco or other feed stores. You might also check pet supply stores.

They are not cheap in stores. I think it would have more impact to send as many as possible directly to the BoG. Although obviously one could be sent to each owner. Except the Maloofs, I assume. I'd rather send them a steaming pile of cow manure.

cowboxer.jpg

We should throw in a pile of fan pictures.
You know, if people sent the BoG one personal, Kings-related picture, with a note saying why we want to keep the Kings, that wouldn't be too expensive for each person, but could have a big impact. It would have to be well-publicized, though. Maybe Carmichael Dave could help with that. People could post somewhere that they've done it so everybody could see numbers.

Nothing would be worse than having a big campaign with little response, though, IMHO. So we need to beware.

Even if people weren't willing on an individual basis, maybe they could send a picture to somewhere here, even digitally (to be printed out), and we could bulk mail them.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Also, in your opinion, what are the key selling points for the owners? Should we just stick to showing the love affair we have with the Kings? My biggest question all along is how to show that we're doing things differently than Seattle.
I don't have an answer. Showing our love affair is a safe way to go because, who knows, some of the BOG may not be aware. I suspect doing anything would be more than what the fans of Seattle are doing. I've lived in a few cities with pro sports and the fans kind of sit back and think the rich people will take care of the problems. Hmm, maybe pointing out that we see a role for the fans in making sure the team is a success could be worked in somehow except it might seem like a huge slap in the face to some owners. Perhaps putting in that our fervor helps the team with no comment that might seem demeaning to other cities would be a way to go. That would be part of the video.

The key selling point would be to follow the KJ approach and that is to show that the team is supported from the rich to the poor. I presume that is part of the reason he has 21 local people as mini owners of at least a million dollars.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I really do NOT think it is a good idea make this a private thread. The very idea is to get as many fans involved as possible. Worrying about what the folks in Seattle are doing is really not productive. Once I get the first bells out I think it would be a good idea to start a separate thread for "operation cowbell" Try to keep track of how many went out and to who. FYI I am not sure about sending them to individual members of the BOG as he whole point is to amass a huge number in one place. But if people want to send 2 bells out one to Stern and one to the owner of another team that is not a bad idea.