What is our PG worth? SI takes a stab at it.

i would happily part with $5-7 million per for isaiah thomas to return in a sixth man's role, and not a penny more. above that, i pass, no questions asked. with a powerhouse duo of cousins/gay who are capable of dropping 50 a night a la shaq/kobe, the kings are not in desperate need of scoring. they are in desperate need of defensive help, though, and isaiah thomas simply doesn't fit that bill. personally, i'd package him in a trade before the deadline while his value remains so high. the kings could very well net a piece or two that better balances their roster...

offer him 4yr/12m or 4yr/16m (last year unguaranteed or team option) if he balks ship him out before the trade deadline. if this team is serious about contending for a championship, 5-10m a year for a undersized 2 guard is insanity. if gay is part of the future, he will command around 10m a year. we need to balance out the rest of the roster with some solid vets and injection of talented youth. IT's value is at an all time high, time to cash in on it.

i would happily part with $5-7 million per for isaiah thomas to return in a sixth man's role, and not a penny more. above that, i pass, no questions asked. with a powerhouse duo of cousins/gay who are capable of dropping 50 a night a la shaq/kobe, the kings are not in desperate need of scoring. they are in desperate need of defensive help, though, and isaiah thomas simply doesn't fit that bill. personally, i'd package him in a trade before the deadline while his value remains so high. the kings could very well net a piece or two that better balances their roster...
they should try to package him w/ an undesirable contract for a ender or youth + pick(s). IT is playing for a new contract. you know damn well when his agent comes to the negotiating table, he will pull out all those me-first stats and demand something ridiculous. gerbil needs to man up and move him while he has a bunch of value.

they should try to package him w/ an undesirable contract for a ender or youth + pick(s). IT is playing for a new contract. you know damn well when his agent comes to the negotiating table, he will pull out all those me-first stats and demand something ridiculous. gerbil needs to man up and move him while he has a bunch of value.
Does he have a bunch of value though? Sure his play is at an all time high but he's a few months away from free agency. No team is going to give up picks or good players for a possible 3-4 month rental of IT.

i'd much rather see the kings attempt to move thomas for some veteran talent, if at all possible. if cousins and gay are the kings' dynamic duo going forward, then they just need to properly fill in the gaps. they already have the raw and developing ben mclemore on the roster, as well as ray mccallum and an upcoming 2014 lottery pick to add to the puzzle. in my mind, adding more youth is no longer the goal. rudy gay has quite emphatically and quite stubbornly proven me wrong; he's made this team considerably better, and cousins has rather definitely arrived amongst the nba elite. the time to make a playoff push is next season. this team needs veterans who can adequately defend and help shoulder the leadership role when things get tough...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
If they didn't pay Tyreke the 10-11 mill contract, there is no way they pay 8-10 for IT....nor is IT worth it. Defense counts and for all the good things he does on offense, because being able to score counts as well, his overall game as a starting PG is not worth that. Next time our backcourt gets lit up for a career night by a PG again, which happens often, ask yourself if he's worth that 10 mill range.
If $8-10 mil is OK for IT and $11 mil is too much for Tyreke, the NBA world has gone mad.

I think it's a relevant question. I thought Lawson's was a few million too high but as the best player on their team, I understand why they did it. Personally I don't like overpaying for one way players unless there is a clear reason to do so.
Long-term, I think Lawson is a good projection for what IT would be as a long-term starter. They're essentially mirror images of each other with how they play and the production they've put up

Does he have a bunch of value though? Sure his play is at an all time high but he's a few months away from free agency. No team is going to give up picks or good players for a possible 3-4 month rental of IT.
Except that it's not a rental. IT is a RFA which means that the trade partner will at least get to match offers on him. There are a dozen teams out there who desperately need backcourt scoring and/or a major weapon on the bench. Heck, Memphis only has one point guard on the roster right now.

i'd much rather see the kings attempt to move thomas for some veteran talent, if at all possible. if cousins and gay are the kings' dynamic duo going forward, then they just need to properly fill in the gaps. they already have the raw and developing ben mclemore on the roster, as well as ray mccallum and an upcoming 2014 lottery pick to add to the puzzle. in my mind, adding more youth is no longer the goal. rudy gay has quite emphatically and quite stubbornly proven me wrong; he's made this team considerably better, and cousins has rather definitely arrived amongst the nba elite. the time to make a playoff push is next season. this team needs veterans who can adequately defend and help shoulder the leadership role when things get tough...
we'll be looking at the end of the lottery if the vet is good. imo, we need to be dumping some contracts and getting some capspace to pick a vet considering how good this draft is expected to be.

scenario 1 pair IT with MT for ender + pick or youth. use that capspace in the offseason to sign a vet or trade the capspace for vet. yeah, we suck for another season but we might get a game changer in what is touted to be best draft since 2003.
scenario 2 trade for vet. if he is any good, we'll be looking at more wins in the column and losing out in the draft process. cousins, gay, maccallum, m16, vet, lower draft pick (might miss out on the game changer at top of draft)

i agree that we need to be looking at the playoffs next year. this team has 2 solid pieces in cousins & gay. we need to put some more supporting players around them.

hes a restricted free agent. not really a rental imo. if he was going to be UFA then there would be cause for concern. whoever is taking him on is serious about retaining his services.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Long-term, I think Lawson is a good projection for what IT would be as a long-term starter. They're essentially mirror images of each other with how they play and the production they've put up
Except Lawson is at least capable of reaching the top shelf in the pantry AND puts forth much better effort on defense. He's also much more efficient in those unquantifiable point guard skills like clock management.

Don't worry, you're not the only one who saw that
sneer all you want, but in the last ten games, cousins and gay have combined to average 49 ppg on 55% shooting (191-346), and a 6-4 record. i wasn't claiming that cousins/gay would be as dominant as shaq/kobe, but simply that, as a duo, cousins and gay are capable of shouldering a similar scoring load...

sneer all you want, but in the last ten games, cousins and gay have combined to average 49 ppg on 55% shooting (191-346), and a 6-4 record. i wasn't claiming that cousins/gay would be as dominant as shaq/kobe, but simply that, as a duo, cousins and gay are capable of shouldering a similar scoring load...
Come on man. Cousins and Gay not being as dominant as Shaq/Kobe is exactly the reason why they aren't capable of shouldering a similar scoring load.

In theory, if a team looked at him as a starting PG, thought he's worth more than MLE, but didn't have cap space, this team would have an incentive to trade for him and give up some kind of asset.

Except Lawson is at least capable of reaching the top shelf in the pantry AND puts forth much better effort on defense. He's also much more efficient in those unquantifiable point guard skills like clock management.
One thing is for sure, and that's that PDA has had a front seat to compare both. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I would re-sign IT at about 4 years 30mil if I was Pete D'Alessandro. IT is worth it and at the same time we can still look for a starting PG. Until then we do have a serviceable player in IT. IT was scoring something like 19ppg off the bench at about 28mpg which is pretty good for a bench guy. We need that kick off the bench because since IT moved to the starting lineup we have had issues with bench scoring.

My only worries was is we get a PG like Rondo then I can see Malone playing him and IT together. That would be bad to have a 6'1 and 5'9 backcourt.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
This is a TOUGH conundrum! We can be sure teams will make offers over 5 mill per, and we also know that IT can CONSISTENTLY score big so the Kings will have to decide first, do they want him to continue as a starter? (Hope not) Second what is he worth to US as a TOP 6th man? OKC thought 10 mill per was too much for Harden to come off the bench, so Houston got him, but now have a 10 mill a year PG who has some of the worst defense in the league, this might indicate that we will have to let him walk if we do not want him to start, I am ok with that but I will say that i would LOVE to see IT playing off the bench behind a good steady PG.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

The FO needs to ask IT what his ball park number is so that we can decide whether to trade him or not come deadline. I think we can get a quality player in return for him just have to do it soon while IT is hot. His stars are obviously through the roof for a pg but they are highly inflated numbers due to our system. He would never play in a team like Greg Popovich for example cause he's too short and can't play defense worth squat.

The FO needs to ask IT what his ball park number is so that we can decide whether to trade him or not come deadline. I think we can get a quality player in return for him just have to do it soon while IT is hot. His stars are obviously through the roof for a pg but they are highly inflated numbers due to our system. He would never play in a team like Greg Popovich for example cause he's too short and can't play defense worth squat.
Being the only guard on the roster worth a poo is a nice spot to be in. Kinda hard to get benched.

I went there with the spurs and how they'd never draft him and got soundly rebuked.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Agreed...Cousins and Gay are absolutely 2 guys we can build around going forward. Need to surround them with the pieces now and I think we have some of those pieces unless they price themselves out. IT at a reasonable contract is a keeper......IT at an inflated contract puts a great deal of pressure and need for Ben to develop to be the player the FO thinks he can be. We still need a few pieces....I'd be afraid if IT is signed for too much, we are stuck at .500

Well, I don't remember his defense but the 5-10 Avery Johnson played some major minutes for the early Popovich Spurs. And Nate Robinson was drafted by Larry Brown, and was 6th man for the offense-only Thibs in Chicago last year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Thornton is getting $8 mill. JT $6 mill. You bet I think IT is worth at least $8 mill. Whether the Kings can or will pay it is another matter.
Do you think the current management would have offered those same contracts to JT and Thornton? I understand where your coming from, but I wouldn't use either of them as a measuring stick.

If $8-10 mil is OK for IT and $11 mil is too much for Tyreke, the NBA world has gone mad.
$11 million/year is too much for Tyreke. I loved watching him play on the Kings, but I'm glad we didn't give him a big contract like the Pelicans did.

For one thing, bad ankles frequently keep him off the court.

Come on man. Cousins and Gay not being as dominant as Shaq/Kobe is exactly the reason why they aren't capable of shouldering a similar scoring load.
Shaq and Kobe were both two-way players. Shaq was a beast on the boards, a mobile shot-blocker, and a huge scoring threat. Kobe, in his heyday, was a lockdown perimeter defender.

Gay plays pretty good defense on a regular basis. Cousins less so. That is the major difference that I see between the shaq-kobe comparison.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't see anybody paying over $10 million for Isaiah. There's never been a sub-6' player who's ever earned that much except for Allen Iverson. That being said, a team like Orlando scares me. They could throw a huge chunk of cash at Isaiah if they see Oladipo as a SG moving forward. IT/Oladipo is a good looking backcourt moving forward. Then again, they might not want to shortcircuit their rebuild so quickly, so it remains to be seen.

I'd hazard a guess at IT getting a $7-$8 million type of deal, which works for me. When you consider the production he's giving you, that's a bargain. There's more than enough offense between the IT/Gay/Cousins trio to the point where you can spend the savings on higher-priced defenders, like a rim protector, without worrying too much about offense.

The Kings are stuck in luxury tax territory next year regardless because of Gay's max salary and Cousins getting his pay raise. But with Gay either opting out this year or expiring next year, we will have breathing room eventually since there's no way he's getting that kind of max deal again. Thornton and Outlaw expire in 2015, but Derrick will need his extension that year. Landry and Thompson are locked in long-term (for better or for worse). McLemore has four years before a non-rookie salary will kick in.

So, if we resign IT at say $8 million per year this offseason, we’re probably looking at this in 2014-2015:

Cousins – 13.7m
Thomas – 8m (estimated)
Thompson – 6m
Landry- 6.5m
McLemore – 3m
McCallam - .8m

Gay – 19.3m (needing an extension)
DWill – 4m (needing an extension

Thornton – 8.6m (expiring)
Outlaw – 3m (expiring)
Acy -0.9m (expiring)

Needs:
1. Rim protector
2. Starting SG? (if McLemore doesn’t pan out)
3. Backup PG (Maybe we can retain Jimmer on a reasonable deal, but he needs to be someone Malone trusts)
4. Backup C (Less important than Backup PG since we can go small for periods of time, perhaps Aaron Gray will be up to the task)

There’s a lot of flexibility and buffer for luxury tax purposes. The luxury tax is really harsh on repeat offenders, so a one year dip into the tax won’t kill us, especially with our shiny new ownership group. Meanwhile, we have 12 million in expirings to play with and some nice young prospects if anyone wants to give up a defensive anchor type player. Lots of different ways PDA can go with this. We don't know who will be on the roster when our main needs are addressed.

What jumps out to me is Thompson and Landry’s salaries, both of whom are really third bigs. Need to shed one or the other. Thompson’s been important to our mini-surge, but he’s likely going to be the one to go. JT’s been building trade value quite nicely so its possible we could swap him for an expiring to a team needing a big (I’m looking at the Clippers in particular). Eventually we are going to need a rim protector next to Cousins so it’s a short-term loss for a long-term gain salary-wise.
After Cousins extension, and if Gay decides not to opt out, a likely scenario, then the Kings, barring any future moves between now and then, will be hock for $68,026,204.00 in salaries, and that's without resigning Thomas. Sign Thomas for 8 mil, and you now owe $76 million in salaries. Throw in a first round and your up another 3 to 4 mil, depending on where we pick, and not were up to $80 mil in salaries and well into the luxury tax. That is a ton of money for a non playoff team, and a team so in hock, its impossible to make any other significant moves. Yeah, in the following year we'll have some salary relief in losing Thornton and Outlaw, and maybe resigning Gay to a lesser contract in the 14 mil range, but we would still be over the regular salary cap when its all said and done.

This isn't a matter of what Thomas is worth around the league, but what he's worth to us, and what were willing to pay for what he brings. So the question is, do you think Thomas is a starting PG that can lead you to a championship? Not just the playoffs, but a championship? If not, then you don't pay that much money for him. If you box yourself into a corner financially, you'd better be sure you have all your ducks in a row, because your flexibility is gone. Yes, you can always figure out a way to shed salary eventually, but why would you put yourself in that position to begin with. You never want to take steps that you'll have to undo if you can avoid it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
offer him 4yr/12m or 4yr/16m (last year unguaranteed or team option) if he balks ship him out before the trade deadline. if this team is serious about contending for a championship, 5-10m a year for a undersized 2 guard is insanity. if gay is part of the future, he will command around 10m a year. we need to balance out the rest of the roster with some solid vets and injection of talented youth. IT's value is at an all time high, time to cash in on it.
Gay is going to want more than 10 mil a year. He's due 19 mil next year. And if he continues to play like he has been, I think the best we can expect is a contract starting at somewhere around 14/15 mil. If we kiss him on the cheek and treat him nice and he really likes us, maybe 13/14 mil.