What is our PG worth? SI takes a stab at it.

That's because, contrary to your opinion, the "blathering about the rest of the roster" is not, in fact, constant. If the ratio of praise for Thomas, versus the rest of the roster, were closer to one-to-one, or even three-to-one, there wouldn't be any "backlash."

There's nothing vexing about it. Many of us consider the praise for Thomas, valid or not, to be grossly disproportionate to the criticism of Thomas, valid or not. There isn't nearly as much "backlash" towards other players because many of us do not consider their praise to be out of proportion to their criticisms. Your mileage may, and obviously does, vary.
Without devolving into a "yes-it-is, no-it-isn't" we'll just have to agree to disagree.

We tried a PG with Demarcus who was offensively zero besides passing (Vasquez). We tried Jimmer, who can shoot but not set up. Demarcus was better off with Isaiah than both.
sure, if you want to characterize a scant 18 games at 26 mpg as having "tried" such a PG in vasquez, or if you really want to stretch the limits of characterization and call jimmer fredette a PG, but this strikes me as no argument at all. if for no other reason, demarcus was "better off with isaiah" because he'd already had an established chemistry with isaiah, and that was the only chemistry given the time to flourish...

now, that doesn't mean that i was a fan of greivis vasquez (i wasn't), nor does it mean i ever had any faith in jimmer fredette (i didn't), but we simply won't know how demarcus cousins will perform in the long term with a different kind of starting PG until it happens. it's up to the new regime to determine if they want to go that route, or if they're much more sold on isaiah thomas as a starter than i've given them credit for...

i think you're looking for conspiracy theory in others' expressions of annoyance that simply isn't there. the game threads at kf.com are ordinarily rife with groans over jerry reynolds' wholesome indiana farmboy-isms. but if you fail to see the distinction between jerry's goofy pet names for various kings players and the incessant, overbearing, hyperbolic blather that grant and jerry commit to isaiah thomas every single game, then i simply cannot help you. there is a grand canyon of difference between jerry's dunderheaded proclamations of "the great rudini" and the verbal diarrhea of grant and jerry tag-teaming shovelfuls of sugar-coated, vomit-inducing praise onto the pizza guy...
I personally don't see a difference in the "shovelfuls of sugar-coated, vomit-inducing praise" on the Pizza Guy, or Great Rudini, or the "McRookies" or whoever. But to each his own.

i fully understand that he's a blogger, and i even enjoy this kind of writing, but that doesn't mean i can't take him to task for what i consider to be a poorly-framed argument...
What argument? All he did was post some interesting statistical comparisons between Isaiah and some other really good PGs. If you're going to object to an interesting factoid because they could possibly be misused by someone reading the article you're left with very few interesting bits to read at all.

i did not point out how hard life has been for demarcus without a playmaker at PG. i pointed out that there are precious few playmakers on the kings' roster. personally, i don't believe demarcus cousins needs a PG with tremendous creativity to get him the ball. i believe cousins needs a PG [who is tall enough] to make a simple entry pass into the post, and i also believe that the kings need a staring SG who can assume ballhandling duties occasionally...

that said, my ideal PG for this roster would be mike conley, if you'd like to hear it from me rather than putting words in my mouth. but in the absence of such a talent, i'd like a roleplayer at PG who can move the ball effectively, defend reasonably well, and hit the occasional spot-up jumper. those guys aren't as rare as you seem to think, and a guy like mario chalmers can certainly accomplish those, ya know, incredible feats of roleplayerdom. why you mention that chalmers' "next set-up for a big will be his first," i have no idea. you seem to enjoy stripping context from your player evaluations. the miami heat aren't exactly a team known for their imposing big man play. lebron usually functions as their major post presence, and chalmers doesn't have much trouble getting him the ball where he wants it...
Well you're right about one thing: offensively, Mario Chalmers types aren't too rare. n the absence of a Mike Conley, you're left with the same kind of PG we've been stuck with this year sans Isaiah. Getting the ball to Demarcus isn't really a problem without Isaiah. Its what happens afterwards that causes problems.

sure, if you want to characterize a scant 18 games at 26 mpg as having "tried" such a PG in vasquez, or if you really want to stretch the limits of characterization and call jimmer fredette a PG, but this strikes me as no argument at all. if for no other reason, demarcus was "better off with isaiah" because he'd already had an established chemistry with isaiah, and that was the only chemistry given the time to flourish...

now, that doesn't mean that i was a fan of greivis vasquez (i wasn't), nor does it mean i ever had any faith in jimmer fredette (i didn't), but we simply won't know how demarcus cousins will perform in the long term with a different kind of starting PG until it happens. it's up to the new regime to determine if they want to go that route, or if they're much more sold on isaiah thomas as a starter than i've given them credit for...
So now chemistry with the PG is important? Well, I thought you just had to give the ball to Demarcus and get out of his way. Sounds like you don't need much chemistry to do that :p

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You’re seeking an explanation for the stats that fit preconceived notions. The premise here is that Isaiah “monopolizes” the game when he’s in; if that were true, then Demarcus’ usage rate wouldn’t *increase* when Isaiah is on the floor.
Not to be snarky, but... cite? B-R.com is the only source I'm aware of that even offers Usage Rate, and there doesn't appear to be a way of indicating what a player's usage is when a specific player is not on the court.

Its true Isaiah is on the floor a lot. It is also true that he has been off the floor for enough minutes to give us a reasonable enough sample size (over the course of the season) to analyze whats happening on the court when he’s off. And if that’s the case, looking at his +/- across the board, its much more preferable to have him in than out.
I make no concession regarding the "truth" of this statement.

I personally don't see a difference in the "shovelfuls of sugar-coated, vomit-inducing praise" on the Pizza Guy, or Great Rudini, or the "McRookies" or whoever. But to each his own.
well then i legitimately question your powers of observation..

What argument? All he did was post some interesting statistical comparisons between Isaiah and some other really good PGs. If you're going to object to an interesting factoid because they could possibly be misused by someone reading the article you're left with very few interesting bits to read at all.
however clumsily, Aykis is clearly crafting an argument in favor of isaiah thomas' as a starting point guard:

"When discussing Isaiah Thomas' merits and demerits, his size is always at the forefront. It's the primary reason he fell all the way to the 60th pick. It's one of the primary reasons given by people who say he shouldn't be a starting Point Guard in this league (an assertion that has become laughable). It might be a primary reason as to why he won't receive a contract offer this summer that is commensurate with the numbers he puts up."

the statistical analysis that follows in the article does not occur in a vacuum. Aykis is casting himself as opposite those who believe isaiah thomas is not a starting-caliber PG. he isn't asking us to look at a bunch of numbers so that we might say, "hey, that's neat." the analysis exists to prop up the claim that "not only can [isaiah thomas] be a starter in this league, but that he can be a damn good one." and while i won't refute the notion that isaiah thomas can be a starter in the nba, i maintain considerable doubts that he should be the starting PG of the sacramento kings, and i find Aykis' framing techniques wanting in his article...

Well you're right about one thing: offensively, Mario Chalmers types aren't too rare. n the absence of a Mike Conley, you're left with the same kind of PG we've been stuck with this year sans Isaiah. Getting the ball to Demarcus isn't really a problem without Isaiah. Its what happens afterwards that causes problems.
i'm not nearly as interested in offensive production at the PG position as you are, but i absolutely dispute the notion that, absent a player like mike conley, the kings would be "left with the same kind of PG we've been stuck with this year sans Isaiah," as if there would be no opportunity available for the kings to acquire a PG with skills that differ from the likes of greivis vasquez or jimmer fredette (who i do not consider to be a PG)...

that's quite a ludicrous claim, really, that it's either the unlikely acquisition of someone like conley, a disappointing acquisition like vasquez, or the incumbent IT. it's a convenient way of championing "your guy" by eliminating other options as valid. chalmers himself is a refutation of that claim, because he would hypothetically bring precisely the kind of tangible defensive talent and veteran presence that has been sorely lacking from the kings' backcourt rotation this season...

So now chemistry with the PG is important? Well, I thought you just had to give the ball to Demarcus and get out of his way. Sounds like you don't need much chemistry to do that :p
that's tremendously reductive for a number of reasons, and i'm just going to assume the :p is a bit of self-awareness on your part...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
What DeMarcus Cousins has never played with is a guard who either (a) executed the pick and roll - or any sort of two man game - well or (2) made solid post entry passes that put him in good position to score from the low blocks.

Not Tyreke, not IT, not Jimmer, not Thornton, not Beno, and not Vasquez though the last two probably did the best job of getting him the ball down low, they just weren't great at it.

The heydey Kings did all of those things with their bigs. Bibby was pretty decent at the pick and roll/pick and pop. Doug Christie fed the post as consistently well as any guard I can think of. And Peja and Webber had a fantastic two man game. I would have loved to see DMC and Tyreke develop that sort of thing but it is predicated on the wing player being a thread from outside which Evans wasn't and isn't.

To me this isn't about IT vs Cousins or IT vs Tyreke or even Tyreke vs Cousins.. It's about building a winning team going forward. And the Kings FO has made Cousins the franchise cornerstone so yes, it DOES matter what type of chemistry guys have with him and how well they play together. IT is not a point guard that makes Cousins better. He certainly could be with a different offensive scheme and a commitment to feeding his big man the ball in good spots but Malone is a very vanilla offensive coach who focuses on defense and fundamentals and IT has a scoring mindset.

Again, none of that makes IT a bad player. He's a terrific scorer and I think he's become somewhat undervalued around here. I simply think his best value would be picking up the scoring slack as the first reserve off the bench.

What DeMarcus Cousins has never played with is a guard who either (a) executed the pick and roll - or any sort of two man game - well or (2) made solid post entry passes that put him in good position to score from the low blocks.
Thing is, that's exactly what Reke is doing with Davis down in NO. It wasn't that Reke couldn't do it here, it's that he wasn't allowed to do it here. NO fans are quite excited about the chemistry Reke/Davis are showing and I refuse to believe that couldn't have happened between Boogie/Reke as I see zero evidence of it beyond poor use of the two. Talent to do so was there, the coach/system prevented it.

KF.com... Where any statistic that doesn't fit a precon

Not Tyreke, not IT, not Jimmer, not Thornton, not Beno, and not Vasquez though the last two probably did the best job of getting him the ball down low, they just weren't great at it.

The heydey Kings did all of those things with their bigs. Bibby was pretty decent at the pick and roll/pick and pop. Doug Christie fed the post as consistently well as any guard I can think of. And Peja and Webber had a fantastic two man game. I would have loved to see DMC and Tyreke develop that sort of thing but it is predicated on the wing player being a thread from outside which Evans wasn't and isn't.

To me this isn't about IT vs Cousins or IT vs Tyreke or even Tyreke vs Cousins.. It's about building a winning team going forward. And the Kings FO has made Cousins the franchise cornerstone so yes, it DOES matter what type of chemistry guys have with him and how well they play together. IT is not a point guard that makes Cousins better. He certainly could be with a different offensive scheme and a commitment to feeding his big man the ball in good spots but Malone is a very vanilla offensive coach who focuses on defense and fundamentals and IT has a scoring mindset.

Again, none of that makes IT a bad player. He's a terrific scorer and I think he's become somewhat undervalued around here. I simply think his best value would be picking up the scoring slack as the first reserve off the bench.
Simply not true. Monkey has already shown evidence of this. I could pile more evidence of this.

But what's the point? You see what you want to see. Any evidence that shows IT and Cuz work is "Out of context." Anything showing IT's weakness is accepted.

Isaiah has almost caught john wall in time of possession per game, 7.9 mins to 7.7 mins. In two fewer mins per game. Rondo is up there too. Rondo leads the league in passes per game though.

Wall is top 3 in passes per game. Isaiah is 22 (around 12 passes per game fewer). Behind guys like Noah, Josh McRoberts and Kevin love.

Points created by assist? Isaiah is 18. Wall 2. Around 7 points a game less.

I welcome anyone to spin these numbers to show Isaiah isn't the biggest ball hog in the entire nba. By that I mean, no one holds the ball more and passes less. It's not particularly close either. He dominates the ball like the elite passing pgs. But that's not what he is, is he? He gets assists and creates points more like an elite sg, one that can't guard opposing sgs in any way.

He needs to be an elite passer and scorer to make up for his defense. He only has 1 of those. The great ones of course do all 3 well. He'll never be even an average defender cause of his size.

He's a bench player that will demand to start. They allowed him to get huge empty stats, and, well, we will see if the rest of the league believes the mirage.

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingTouches.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&sortField=TOP&sortOrder=DES

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Isaiah has almost caught john wall in time of possession per game, 7.9 mins to 7.7 mins. In two fewer mins per game. Rondo is up there too. Rondo leads the league in passes per game though.

Wall is top 3 in passes per game. Isaiah is 22 (around 12 passes per game fewer). Behind guys like Noah, Josh McRoberts and Kevin love.

I welcome anyone to spin these numbers to show Isaiah isn't the biggest ball hog in the entire nba. By that I mean, no one holds the ball more and passes less. It's not particularly close either. He dominates the ball like the elite passing pgs. But that's not what he is, is he? He gets assists and creates points more like an elite sg, one that can't guard opposing sgs in any way.

He needs to be an elite passer and scorer to make up for his defense. He only has 1 of those. The great ones of course do all 3 well. He'll never be even an average defender cause of his size.

He's a bench player that will demand to start. They allowed him to get huge empty stats, and, well, we will see if the rest of the league believes the mirage.

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingTouches.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&sortField=TOP&sortOrder=DES
So what you're saying is that we should make McRoberts our PG.

Not to be snarky, but... cite? B-R.com is the only source I'm aware of that even offers Usage Rate, and there doesn't appear to be a way of indicating what a player's usage is when a specific player is not on the court.
You can look up this kind of stuff on http://nbawowy.com/.

Thomas and Cousins both on the floor:
Thomas: 23.4% USG
Cousins: 34.2% USG

Cousins on the floor, Thomas out:
Cousins: 32.6% USG

It's actually pretty easy to explain why. He's currently 7th in the NBA at 37.6 MPG as a starter. Factor how utterly useless our other back-court ball-handlers are, and you got your high time of possession for IT.

He plays a ton of minutes. There are no other ball-handlers on the team. Of course, it might be more fun to spin it into IT being the evil mini-Ball hog.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
It's actually pretty easy to explain why. He's currently 7th in the NBA at 37.6 MPG as a starter. Factor how utterly useless our other back-court ball-handlers are, and you got your high time of possession for IT.

He plays a ton of minutes. There are no other ball-handlers on the team. Of course, it might be more fun to spin it into IT being the evil mini-Ball hog.
Well he IS the evil mini-Ball hog. :)

Or rather: Isaiah Thomas completely dominates the ball for us, and that absolutely is his comfort zone. Its not like he's running around searching for someone else to share duties with. Its his ball, and he's taking it home with him. the difficulty is that he simply is not a distributor at the level that you can afford that. If prime Steve Nash is running around with the ball that much, you get double the assists out of it and everybody stays involved. But if Isaiah runs around with it that much, he can't generate the assists/create the shots himself, and since he has the ball all the time neither can anybody else.

Now, that has to be corrected at an organizational level. every single alternate ballhandler has been stripped off this roster since the newbies took over. There are almost no options left. But the thing is that Isaiah wants and needs that ball in his hands to be Isaiah. He NEEDS to be as ball dominant as he is, but in so doing everything else locks up. He only has so much PG in him. Just enough to give the ball to Cuz, and that's about it. So like all ball dominant guys, if we introduce competing ballhandlers back into the mix next year, in the end what that is going to do is take away from what It does. Which is, one more time, why I remain the eternal advocate for IT as 6th man, where he come in with his ball dominance, do his thing for a bit, then go sit when we bring back the alternate ballhandlers.

Well he IS the evil mini-Ball hog. :)

Or rather: Isaiah Thomas completely dominates the ball for us, and that absolutely is his comfort zone. Its not like he's running around searching for someone else to share duties with. Its his ball, and he's taking it home with him. the difficulty is that he simply is not a distributor at the level that you can afford that. If prime Steve Nash is running around with the ball that much, you get double the assists out of it and everybody stays involved. But if Isaiah runs around with it that much, he can't generate the assists/create the shots himself, and since he has the ball all the time neither can anybody else.

Now, that has to be corrected at an organizational level. every single alternate ballhandler has been stripped off this roster since the newbies took over. There are almost no options left. But the thing is that Isaiah wants and needs that ball in his hands to be Isaiah. He NEEDS to be as ball dominant as he is, but in so doing everything else locks up. He only has so much PG in him. Just enough to give the ball to Cuz, and that's about it. So like all ball dominant guys, if we introduce competing ballhandlers back into the mix next year, in the end what that is going to do is take away from what It does. Which is, one more time, why I remain the eternal advocate for IT as 6th man, where he come in with his ball dominance, do his thing for a bit, then go sit when we bring back the alternate ballhandlers.
Well, Nash also didn't have the alternate creators that we have. Cuz is one of the top APG big men. Rudy is one of the top APG SF. Those PHX rosters were chalk full of finishers and 3pt shooters for Nash to find. Don't really have that here.

I don't disagree with who IT is as a player. His USG is where you roughly want your 2nd option to be. But I also don't really care about where is Time of Possession is right now. It's just the volume of how much he's on the floor and how little help he has with ball-handling right now

Yes, except when compared to the other ball dominant pgs, Isaiah just passes less. And gets fewer assists. By a healthy margin. I've watched enough john wall to know he is a willing passer. The ball may end up with wall, but he passes 12 times more a game than Isaiah and gets almost 3 more assists, creates more points off those assists, more opportunities for teammates, etc. The wizards are a playoff team.

I don't deny the current makeup of this team influences time of possession. It just shows statistically that our pg has basically the longest leash in the nba. He does whatever he wants whenever he wants with no repercussions. Thus the conclusion his stats are soft. This is a team problem. But it's not a problem for Isaiah. This is a dream come true. He's best in this role. It's not best for the team.

Already beaten to it, but its all on www.nbawowy.com. You can even customize a date range for on/off splits. The data I gave you is from December 9th, the date of the Rudy Gay trade.

well then i legitimately question your powers of observation..
Neener neener to you too :p

however clumsily, Aykis is clearly crafting an argument in favor of isaiah thomas' as a starting point guard:

"When discussing Isaiah Thomas' merits and demerits, his size is always at the forefront. It's the primary reason he fell all the way to the 60th pick. It's one of the primary reasons given by people who say he shouldn't be a starting Point Guard in this league (an assertion that has become laughable). It might be a primary reason as to why he won't receive a contract offer this summer that is commensurate with the numbers he puts up."

the statistical analysis that follows in the article does not occur in a vacuum. Aykis is casting himself as opposite those who believe isaiah thomas is not a starting-caliber PG. he isn't asking us to look at a bunch of numbers so that we might say, "hey, that's neat." the analysis exists to prop up the claim that "not only can [isaiah thomas] be a starter in this league, but that he can be a damn good one." and while i won't refute the notion that isaiah thomas can be a starter in the nba, i maintain considerable doubts that he should be the starting PG of the sacramento kings, and i find Aykis' framing techniques wanting in his article...
There is a massive gulf between the argument that "Isaiah should be compared to these PGs" and "Isaiah is a good starter in the NBA"; The former is an argument never presented yet is attacked as if it was while the latter is a solid argument, to which the evidence presented is solid. Whether or not you believe Isaiah SHOULD be the starting PG of the Kings is a matter of opinion, and one which I believe lacks solid evidence beyond hypotheticals.

i'm not nearly as interested in offensive production at the PG position as you are, but i absolutely dispute the notion that, absent a player like mike conley, the kings would be "left with the same kind of PG we've been stuck with this year sans Isaiah," as if there would be no opportunity available for the kings to acquire a PG with skills that differ from the likes of greivis vasquez or jimmer fredette (who i do not consider to be a PG)...

that's quite a ludicrous claim, really, that it's either the unlikely acquisition of someone like conley, a disappointing acquisition like vasquez, or the incumbent IT. it's a convenient way of championing "your guy" by eliminating other options as valid. chalmers himself is a refutation of that claim, because he would hypothetically bring precisely the kind of tangible defensive talent and veteran presence that has been sorely lacking from the kings' backcourt rotation this season...
Sure, you can be snarky and say "well, the exact skillset of Mario Chalmers has not seen the floor with Demarcus Cousins" to which I call shifting the burden fallacy. Whatever difference between a Chalmers type and a Jimmer type on offense are inconsequential. Their job is to bring the ball up the court, pass the ball off and get out of the way. Any difference beyond this skillset is just a convenient way for you to disguise the fact you have no evidence that a Chalmers would be better than an Isaiah. No, I may not be able to prove that the exact player known as Mario Chalmers with his exact skillset is not a good match for Demarcus' game, however thats a standard I'm not interested in meeting. My argument is centered on the relevant skillset of a potential PG partner to Cousins, and the relevant skillset Mario Chalmers brings would be "dribble up the court, pass the ball to Cousins, go spot up".

In effect, you are not actually contributing to the discussion with your passive attempts to raise a burden of proof to such an impossible standard, and your attempt to do so only benefits in allowing you to sidestep providing any evidence for your own claims.

that's tremendously reductive for a number of reasons, and i'm just going to assume the :p is a bit of self-awareness on your part...
It was rather reductive but it was a silly argument to respond to so the :p stands

You can look up this kind of stuff on http://nbawowy.com/.

Thomas and Cousins both on the floor:
Thomas: 23.4% USG
Cousins: 34.2% USG

Cousins on the floor, Thomas out:
Cousins: 32.6% USG
Those are the statistics for the entire year. I'd recommend looking at the data since the Rudy Gay trade (December 9th)

Cousins' Usage rate with Thomas and Cousins both on the floor: 33.6
Cousins with Thomas off the floor: 28.9

Yes, except when compared to the other ball dominant pgs, Isaiah just passes less. And gets fewer assists. By a healthy margin. I've watched enough john wall to know he is a willing passer. The ball may end up with wall, but he passes 12 times more a game than Isaiah and gets almost 3 more assists, creates more points off those assists, more opportunities for teammates, etc. The wizards are a playoff team.

I don't deny the current makeup of this team influences time of possession. It just shows statistically that our pg has basically the longest leash in the nba. He does whatever he wants whenever he wants with no repercussions. Thus the conclusion his stats are soft. This is a team problem. But it's not a problem for Isaiah. This is a dream come true. He's best in this role. It's not best for the team.
Out of curiosity, does it show where we rank on total team passes/game?

Interesting site, that takes at least some of your time, once you discovered it, so here's some tinkering.
3 current leaders in ball domination look this way in different combinations:
all are samples from 12/13/14 to 03/24/14
http://nbawowy.com/query/zyd7924n99 - IT and Cuz monopolize the ball, when Rudy is on the bench, with IT taking care of himself and Boogie, Ben gets over 14% for a distant 3rd and no one gets over 50TS% among players with more than 2 shots.
http://nbawowy.com/query/3cynrceog4p - Rudy and Boogie without IT function differently with Rudy capitalizing on all the attention DFC gets to reach amazing efficiency, while Cuz himself posts rather pedestrian numbers. Sample size is becoming really small, but you clearly see much better involvement and efficiency of other players.

http://nbawowy.com/query/94l7298cg1 - when all 3 are on the floor IT still takes care of Boogie, while limiting Rudy and especially himself. Limited role leads to his best efficiency. Interestingly opponents PPP drops to 1,04 compared to 1,09/1,10 in previous two samples.
http://nbawowy.com/query/b7r7ckh5y7t - finally Boogie without two sidekicks with only 84 possessions on record. Almost all guys enjoyed this type of play with none dropping below 50 TS%, Cousins dropped the ball on 7.2% of possessions, while Kings managed ridiculous .943 opponent's PPP.
P.S. Looking at these stats one might understand, why Boogie likes little man: DFC touch the ball much more, when IT is on the floor. At the same time it can't be denied, that the rest of the guys become pretty useless on offense. so if you go forward with this offensive setup, you better pile up defenders/scrappers, who are content to part with the ball half a second after they got it.