What´s your expectation for the upcoming season?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Since when is 6'3" big for a point guard?
Here is a list of the 61 point guards who played at least 1000 minutes last season, ordered by height. I have used in-shoe, pre-draft official measurements when available, and have used list height when not (if a player is given "unofficial" listed height, he is marked by **). Note that Beno's height is official. Note also that he is tied for 7th tallest out of 61.

**Earl Boykins (5'5)
Nate Robinson (5'9)
D.J. Augustin (5'11.5)
Will Bynum (5'11.5)
Aaron Brooks (5'11.75)
**Kyle Lowry (6'0)
**J.J. Barea (6'0)
Raymond Felton (6'0.25)
T.J. Ford (6'0.25)
Jameer Nelson (6'0.25)
Ty Lawson (6'0.5)
Mike Conley (6'0.75)
Jonny Flynn (6'0.75)
**Mike Bibby (6'1)
**Mario Chalmers (6'1)
**Derek Fisher (6'1)
**Eddie House (6'1)
**Brandon Jennings (6'1)
Chris Paul (6'1)
**Rajon Rondo (6'1)
**Jason Williams (6'1)
Chris Duhon (6'1.25)
Earl Watson (6'1.25)
Darren Collison (6'1.5)
C.J. Watson (6'1.75)
**Rafer Alston (6'2)
**Carlos Arroyo (6'2)
Jordan Farmar (6'2)
**Daniel Gibson (6'2)
**Andre Miller (6'2)
**Tony Parker (6'2)
Luke Ridnour (6'2)
**Louis Williams (6'2)
Mo Williams (6'2)
George Hill (6'2.5)
Derrick Rose (6'2.5)
Deron Williams (6'2.75)
**Gilbert Arenas (6'3)
Jerryd Bayless (6'3)
**Chauncey Billups (6'3)
**Steve Blake (6'3)
**Jose Calderon (6'3)
**Baron Davis (6'3)
**Monta Ellis (6'3)
Devin Harris (6'3)
**Steve Nash (6'3)
**Sergio Rodriguez (6'3)
Stephen Curry (6'3.25)
Randy Foye (6'3.25)
Eric Maynor (6'3.25)
Jarrett Jack (6'3.5)
Russell Westbrook (6'3.5)
Kirk Hinrich (6'3.75)
Ramon Sessions (6'3.75)
Beno Udrih (6'3.75)
**Goran Dragic (6'4)
**Jason Kidd (6'4)
**Delonte West (6'4)
Jrue Holiday (6'4.25)
Rodney Stuckey (6'4.5)
Tyreke Evans (6'5.25)

Boy, sometimes these threads can really get off topic!! If none of the SG's coming to camp appear ready to back up Garcia, then I think that Petrie will make some kind of trade to get one (hopefully with some size to make the Reke matchup even scarier than with Beno). Getting back to the thread, with a much better defensive team a real possibility, I think, like others here, that we'll win our share of the close games, and put ourselves in a better position to win more road games. Offensively, we're going to be better also. So..... looking into my crystal ball, I see "sweat running down his chiseled body" (no Ailene)....I see over 40 wins!!!

Go Kings!!

Wins: 41
Tyreke: 24/5/7...and show off that new, sleek jump shot.
Donte: Make a run at Most Improved Player
DMC: To impose his will/skill upon opposing big men...and make a run at ROY, of course.
Mandry: Get on board, it's gonna be a fun season!(and we KNOW that's how you like to play!)
Beno: Same as last season.
Sammy D: Hey, if all you give us is 10/10, and throw in a couple blocks and elbows every game with hustle, that's all we ask.
JT: We know you've been putting in hard work this offseason...if it translates onto the court, you'll be starting.
Hassan: Do what you know how to do, defend...block shots...rebound...and learn EVERYTHING you can about the NBA game!
Francisco: Mentor, mentor, mentor...we know you'll bring the heart/hustle and your 3 pt shot.
Maloofs: Thanks for sticking with our dysfunctional city gov't/'leaders'(or lack thereof). PLEASE, PLEASE stick it out here a bit longer, you know we love you, and know that the best situation for your Kings is right here and nowhere else!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
DMC: To impose his will/skill upon opposing big men...and make a run at ROY, of course.
Mandry: Get on board, it's gonna be a fun season!(and we KNOW that's how you like to play!)
Sammy D: Hey, if all you give us is 10/10, and throw in a couple blocks and elbows every game with hustle, that's all we ask.
JT: We know you've been putting in hard work this offseason...if it translates onto the court, you'll be starting.
Hassan: Do what you know how to do, defend...block shots...rebound...and learn EVERYTHING you can about the NBA game!
Francisco: Mentor, mentor, mentor...we know you'll bring the heart/hustle and your 3 pt shot.
Maloofs: Thanks for sticking with our dysfunctional city gov't/'leaders'(or lack thereof). PLEASE, PLEASE stick it out here a bit longer, you know we love you, and know that the best situation for your Kings is right here and nowhere else!
Well said! Especially the last sentence. I came from St. Louis originally. A city that puts up arena's and football stadiums whenever they're needed. I continue to be befuddled by Sacramento and the group of clowns they call a city council. Anyway, all I can do is hope for the best. Miracles do happen, and it appears one is going to be necessary.

I feel like the Kings got tougher inside with the subtraction of Hawes and the addition of Dalembert. Then they drafted two 7 footers, Cousins and Whiteside, who look to be in good shape and may contribute to the team. I am hopeful that Evans in his second season will have improved his outside shot a bit and picks up where he left off. I think other players like Greene and Casspi will have improved their games and will be able to contribute more to the team than last season. I guess there will be some improvement over last season's win total, but it will still be a rebuilding learning season. I suspect that while the team is still improving.so .500 will be possible but the team will still be looking at ping pong balls next draft. One more lottery pick, perhaps a good shooting 2 guard to pair up with Evans would be awesome. I cant wait to see the young bigs in action. It's gotta be better than watching Hawes get worked in the middle over and over again. I also predict that Hawes will be a flop in Philly and those fans will eat him ALIVE!

Good post! 41 wins would be great. Hope we can pull that off.

Not sure if I want to see Tyreke with that many points though . DMC should get more points to help his case for ROY :p

Honestly, I think a 30-35 win season will be a disappointment because last year's 25 wins did not represent what the team was worth. Last year's team should have been worth around 35 wins, but it just fell apart in the last few months, for several reasons. First, there was the KMart issue, then PW decided to start experimenting with a different lineup every night, which got a lot of players to lose their confidence (mainly Spencer, JT, and Casspi), and then it was just playing for Tyreke's numbers and ROY run without even trying to win games (and maybe some intentional tanking).

Bottom line, if the team was focused on winning games and not on various other things, I am sure it would've ended up with quite a few more wins. Then again, we probably wouldn't have had Cousins and Whiteside for this season if that were the case, so maybe it all worked out for the best.

With Tyreke, Donte, JT, and Casspi all coming back with one more year of experience, and the addressing of the team's biggest weakness last year, the interior defense, I think a playoff run shouldn't be out of the question. For that to happen, I think that PW needs to close in on a starting lineup and stick with it (more or less. there can be some room for flexibility, but hopefully he won't go nuts like he did last year). Also, as tempting as it is to run for back-to-back ROY awards, the major focus should be winning and not that award. It's important for a team to develop a winning culture, even if it's not contending for a title just yet. The players need to get into the mindset that you have to fight to win every single game. That's the only way they will be ready for the playoffs when the time comes. And lastly, PW needs to realize that it's nice to have a superstar in the making, but "give the ball to Tyreke and get the hell out of the way" is not a basketball strategy. If the team adopts the style of play from the 2009 part of the 2009-10 season, it's going to be a fun season for all of us. If we go back to the 2010 part, well, it might still be pretty painful.

I feel like the Kings got tougher inside with the subtraction of Hawes and the addition of Dalembert. Then they drafted two 7 footers, Cousins and Whiteside, who look to be in good shape and may contribute to the team. I am hopeful that Evans in his second season will have improved his outside shot a bit and picks up where he left off. I think other players like Greene and Casspi will have improved their games and will be able to contribute more to the team than last season. I guess there will be some improvement over last season's win total, but it will still be a rebuilding learning season. I suspect that while the team is still improving.so .500 will be possible but the team will still be looking at ping pong balls next draft. One more lottery pick, perhaps a good shooting 2 guard to pair up with Evans would be awesome. I cant wait to see the young bigs in action. It's gotta be better than watching Hawes get worked in the middle over and over again. I also predict that Hawes will be a flop in Philly and those fans will eat him ALIVE!
Someone's been thinking bout ol' Spence a lot ...

? 6'3" has always been good sized for a PG. Especially with a decent build like Beno has. Not huge or overwhelming, but its good size.

Not big enough to be anything else though. 6'3" isn't small for a SG, its TOO small for a SG. Outside of the Iverson aberration, can't off the top of my head think of any major SG in the last 30 years at that size except for Ellis, who splits time and was running the PG until Curry showed up. Cutoff is an inch or two taller when you begin to run into John Starks, Cat Mobley and Dwayne Wade.
Jeff Horacek was 6"3 and a pretty good SG.

Players who stayed in Sacramento are now more experienced, because of pretty solid last season. In addition to that, we got decent center - Dalembert and a player with a potential to become a ROY - Cousins. Based on that, I would like to see this team in the playoffs. Is it realistic? Probably not, but if they play every game like that one @Chicago when they showed great hustle, I won't be disappointed with any result.

I am hoping to see some improvement in Tyreke's shooting ability this season. Also, I think we're gonna watch much more consistent Omri. He was a leader of his national team this summer and played really good. Also, I expect to see much better team defense this season. We gotta take it to the higher lever.

Jeff Horacek was 6"3 and a pretty good SG.
And if you don't cut it off at 30 years, 31 years ago Earl Monroe (.75" shorter than Beno) wasn't half bad. A little before him, Jerry West (1.75" shorter than Beno) was one of the best combo guards to play the game. Of course, in those days they didn't officially have PGs and SGs, they were just "guards." But we seem to have revived that old tradition last year. As Brick correctly points out, this usually results in Evans being guarded by SGs, but as Brick also correctly points out, most of our forecourt starters are black holes. We can try replacing combo-Beno with combo-Cisco, but Garcia was looking like the worse overall player last year. Will he be much better this year, and take the starting job from Beno? I kind of doubt it, but we'll see. If we did do that, wouldn't the opposing team's PG just end up guarding Garcia? Again, we'll see...

On topic, I expect dramatically different play this year, if only because we went from a turrible front court to what looks to be the best since Chris and Vlade. I expect that, for the first time in a minor eternity, the games will be more interesting than the draft discussions. I see us heading back towards a late lottery spot, but won't prognosticate beyond that until I've seen a few games played.

Dumars too -- should not have forgotten about him. Not surprisingly BTW all of those guys split time as PGs in their youth.
That is true about them spending some time at the point. I can't believe I didn't think of Dumars. I always thought he was overlooked on those great Piston teams back in the day, but felt like he had a lot to do with them functioning well as a team.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That is true about them spending some time at the point. I can't believe I didn't think of Dumars. I always thought he was overlooked on those great Piston teams back in the day, but felt like he had a lot to do with them functioning well as a team.
Not sure what you would call Eric Gordon at 6'3" or Ben Gordon at 6'2", but point guard doesn't spring to mind.

Not sure what you would call Eric Gordon at 6'3" or Ben Gordon at 6'2", but point guard doesn't spring to mind.
6'2" Jason Terry has gone combo guard in recent years. Other current NBA players labeled SGs who haven't been mentioned yet, who are within -.75" to +.25" of Beno's height include OJ Mayo, JJ Redick, Wayne Ellington, Willie Green and Marcus Thornton. Most of those guys aren't very good, but Terry's had a decent career, and I believe that Mayo will, too.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Expectations for this season? I have a couple...starting off with seeing atleast a 15 win increase in our W/L column. I really feel we can hover around .500 throughout the year. Next, I hope to see a improvement on the defensive end as well as rebounding. Obviously, we have plenty of length and height this season, so we should be able to produce on that side of the ball. Overall, I just want to see this team play together, be a cohesive unit and communicate on the court! That was one big problem last year, there was not too much talking going on outside of Reke/Donte/JT sometimes. Also, I hope to see either Reke or JT take that leadership role for this young team and guide them through the ups & downs of a 82 game season.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone. I also expect us to get more media attention. I think with Omri, Tyreke, and Cousins, we will become a favorite underdog and an emerging force that flirts with respect; I want to see the refs ease up on JT and maybe give Reke the star treatment :)

-tyreke's numbers will be very similar to this year, if slightly lower in some areas. he will be a very good player but a lot of fans will be upset at him because he didn't turn into ray allen in one off season. he will progress a lot in playing smart team basketball, spark a lot more runs, etc., but some lower numbers will lead people to say he regressed.

-omri will break out in a major way, and become our clear-cut starting 3 for the future. he will be good enough to be seriously talked about as an all-star for the following season (especially with the increased media attention that will follow him, bolstering any accomplishments)

-demarcus will have a slow start, have some decent games, but never really be in contention for ROY. he will show a lot of flashes but being so young (especially as a big) he won't be able to have a huge impact on the court just yet.

-dalembert/landry will be a vicious combo on the offensive and defensive end, helping to complement each other's weaknesses. with jt and cousins pitching in as well, our front court will be as good as at least half the league, probably just outside the top 10.

-kings will have both a winning streak and a losing streak of 8 games, and win between 35 and 38 games total.

-tyreke's numbers will be very similar to this year, if slightly lower in some areas. he will be a very good player but a lot of fans will be upset at him because he didn't turn into ray allen in one off season. he will progress a lot in playing smart team basketball, spark a lot more runs, etc., but some lower numbers will lead people to say he regressed.

-omri will break out in a major way, and become our clear-cut starting 3 for the future. he will be good enough to be seriously talked about as an all-star for the following season (especially with the increased media attention that will follow him, bolstering any accomplishments)

-demarcus will have a slow start, have some decent games, but never really be in contention for ROY. he will show a lot of flashes but being so young (especially as a big) he won't be able to have a huge impact on the court just yet.

-dalembert/landry will be a vicious combo on the offensive and defensive end, helping to complement each other's weaknesses. with jt and cousins pitching in as well, our front court will be as good as at least half the league, probably just outside the top 10.

-kings will have both a winning streak and a losing streak of 8 games, and win between 35 and 38 games total.
I agree about Omri, he seems destined to making believers out of everyone that Petrie jobbed Houston in that trade. I believe that if Tyreke does what you say, which is totally possible, his assist totals will go up ALOT. I also think that with the work he's done on his jumper, that will force teams to double team him, leading to more assists as well with weak side passes. Oh, and I also think that DMC is too dynamic of a player to not have a major role in whatever success we have as a team.

I expect to see our centers get the ball down in the low post this year. Not at the top of the key or even beyond the three-point line like it was last year with Hawes. That will be a welcome change.

I agree about Omri, he seems destined to making believers out of everyone that Petrie jobbed Houston in that trade. I believe that if Tyreke does what you say, which is totally possible, his assist totals will go up ALOT. I also think that with the work he's done on his jumper, that will force teams to double team him, leading to more assists as well with weak side passes. Oh, and I also think that DMC is too dynamic of a player to not have a major role in whatever success we have as a team.
I would be ecstatic with 18 pts 7-8 asts 4 reb and fewer TO out of Reke (2 or lower would be great). I get the feeling that there may be a vocal contingent of fans (Kings and of other teams) laying into him for not averaging Lebron-like number closer to 25-7-7 and shooting 40% from 3.

DMC should have a major role, he's just facing the perfect storm of being a young big, who are always slower to develop, and being behind a very solid 3 man rotation of more seasoned players. He'll probably grab a month of 15/8 or something better at some point but I fear he'll struggle with getting consistent minutes on the floor, although I would love to be wrong about that and see him break out and be in the running for ROY. I just don't think our situation is favorable to that right now

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I would be ecstatic with 18 pts 7-8 asts 4 reb and fewer TO out of Reke (2 or lower would be great).
That's actually asking a lot. In NBA history, only 20 times has a player logged at least 1000 minutes, had 7+ assists and 2- TOs. Oddly enough, 7 times was Muggsy Bogues. John Stockton did it once. Since 2000, only four players have done it: Calderon, Billups, Terrell Brandon and Mark Jackson, each once. 7+ assists and about 4 TOs would be super in my book.

That's actually asking a lot. In NBA history, only 20 times has a player logged at least 1000 minutes, had 7+ assists and 2- TOs. Oddly enough, 7 times was Muggsy Bogues. John Stockton did it once. Since 2000, only four players have done it: Calderon, Billups, Terrell Brandon and Mark Jackson, each once. 7+ assists and about 4 TOs would be super in my book.

youre right...i was just thinking to increase assists and/or manage turnovers better. either 7/4 or 5/2.5 would be great. 7/2 would be asking a little much. i think his efficiency should improve naturally this year with more time together on the team

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't think there's much chance of reke's scoring going backward this year.

We have gotten contraindicative statements out of Reke and his camp, with him at one point early in the offseason saying he wanted to not have to focus so much on his scoring, and then later in the talking about how his increasing confidence in the juumper was going to open up his game and its not selfish to pull up for a j if it goes down and frees the penetration. But overall, whatever his plans, the fact remains that you are talking about a kid with an immense amount on theline, who's camp openly talks about him as a future MVP candidate, and who is going to really, desperately want to get us to the playoffs. And basically if whatever we are doing looks like it could fall short of that, and it very likely will, the completely natural reaction of your best offensive player, especially when he's a kid, is going to be to try to take over and carry the team to the promised land. I suspect there may be a period of adjustemnt in the early season as he sorts out his role and what the improved jumper may mean, but when push comes to shove and we are off the pace, you have to believe that Reke is going to start trying to take matters in his own hands. I think we've got too much overall offensive talent for that to result in a LeBron offense, but barring things going so well that we are set to meet all of our team goals with Reke hiding back there as a secondary 18ppg type scorer, you can almost bet on him stepping forward to try to save the season as those somewhat unrealistic goals start to slip away.

That's a different issue than the assists, which I think are also going to go up just on the evidence of what he did down the stretch of the season. He was beginnign to figure out how to use all the attention he draws to draw and kick, you have to imagine his pick and roll work will improve, and he's got more talented and experienced teammates as a whole (not to mention a host of alley oop options), so 7apg would not shock me at all no matter what the scoring numbers end up as.

I don't think there's much chance of reke's scoring going backward this year.

That's a different issue than the assists, which I think are also going to go up just on the evidence of what he did down the stretch of the season. He was beginnign to figure out how to use all the attention he draws to draw and kick, you have to imagine his pick and roll work will improve, and he's got more talented and experienced teammates as a whole (not to mention a host of alley oop options), so 7apg would not shock me at all no matter what the scoring numbers end up as.
I tend to agree that Tyreke will see better numbers with both points and assists this season. I also think his steals will go up. It is his rebounding where I think he will see his totals drop some. But that will have more to do with the additions of Cousins and Dalembert than with Tyreke.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Seems like a healthy dose of realism in this here thread.

I'm seeing Reke averaging about 22/7/4. No way his jumper is going to be there this season, that takes time, but hopefully it will look a little better and maybe we'll get a hot shooting night out of him a couple times a month. As has been mentioned, frontcourt additions should have us seeing an increase in assists and a decrease in rebounding.

Cousins, I feel is going to be good right out of the gates. He is just so skilled, and plays with a fire. Hopefully Westphal can get on him about his crappy shot selection though, I want Boogie in the post. If we needed a long jumper shootin wuss, we could have just kept Hawesome. 15/8.5 from the rook to start. Maybe a stretch of 7-10 beastly games where he averages around 18/11... BUT, I think Cuz is going to fall off worse than Om did last season. Conditioning will be a problem, at least in his rookie year.

Donte Greene Show vs Omri "The Manic Mensch" Casspi. Should be a fun little sidestory to our season. Both these guys have huge potential, and I wouldnt be surprised if one begins to look like a member of our future "big three". I think Casspi is going to be more consistant, but if Greene can keep improving his D/3pt fg% it is going to be a tight race. They're both young, but I like our future rotation at the 3.

Cisco should be back to his old frustrating/awesome self, our improved frontcourt is going to have our Kings be one of the better rebounding squads in the league. And I think we're going to have a major midseason trade with one of JT,Dally,Landry,Greene or Omri getting shipped out, but netting us a legit vet to balance the roster.

We're young, but I think we're going to be very competitive. The west is just so tough! 35-40 wins.

I suspect there may be a period of adjustemnt in the early season as he sorts out his role and what the improved jumper may mean, but when push comes to shove and we are off the pace, you have to believe that Reke is going to start trying to take matters in his own hands.
We're all assuming the jumper is improved. I know he's put in a ton of work and I believe that this is a major point of emphasis for Tyreke, but I'll believe that his jumper is improved when I see it factoring into games. It's the key to him achieving his offensive potential, so I sincerely hope that it's improved, but I'll reserve judgment. Should also be noted that it takes awhile in most cases for that jumpshot to really take hold and become an effective weapon, more than just an offseason. Might be a couple years before it really shows on the court.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We're all assuming the jumper is improved. I know he's put in a ton of work and I believe that this is a major point of emphasis for Tyreke, but I'll believe that his jumper is improved when I see it factoring into games. It's the key to him achieving his offensive potential, so I sincerely hope that it's improved, but I'll reserve judgment. Should also be noted that it takes awhile in most cases for that jumpshot to really take hold and become an effective weapon, more than just an offseason. Might be a couple years before it really shows on the court.
If you shoot 500 jumpshots a day, your just going to get better. How much better is the question. It took Kidd about 4 years to get to the point where other teams started to respect his outside shot. Michael Jordan arrived much quicker. To be honest, the only jumpshot I really care about is his mid-range shot. If he can hit that shot consistently, thats all he needs to keep the other team honest. Wade is a perfect example of a player that seldom if ever takes a three point shot, but he's deadly with his mid-range shot, so you can't play off of him. We'll know soon. Only 6 more days to training camp..

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm sure we will see a slight improvement in Reke's jumper this season, by how much, well nobody knows just yet. He will have his good months and bad ones, so as long as he stays confident and keeps taking good shots I won't mind. Hopefully we see a little bit of a drive and pull up on a dime shot, but with balance and going straight up. Easier said than done of course.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Consider these sort of season 2 jumps amongst players sometimes compared to Reke, and Reke is younger (and thus has more room to jump) than any of them except Lebron were at the time:

Wade rookie: 16.2pts 4.0reb 4.5ast
Wade year 2: 24.1pts 5.2reb 6.8ast

Roy rookie: 16.8pts 4.4reb 4.0ast
Roy year 2: 19.1pts 4.7reb 5.8ast

Pierce rookie: 16.5pts 6.4reb 2.4ast
Pierce year 2: 19.5pts 5.4reb 3.0ast

Rose rookie: 16.8pts 3.9reb 6.3ast
Rose year 2: 20.8pts 3.8reb 6.0ast

LeBron rookie: 20.9pts 5.5reb 5.9ast
LeBron year 2: 27.2pts 7.3reb 7.2ast

Evans rookie: 20.1pts 5.3reb 5.8ast
Evans year 2: ?

When singular talents get a chance to go home after their rookie season, work on a few things, get stronger, and come back the next season understanding the league nad their place in it and setting lofty goals, you don't often see them take steps back or even sideways.