Voisin: George Karl reflective after firing by Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Karl is a great interview and after 30 years he has learned what to say, I wish this 30 years of experience would have translated to the court. How, after all those years is he unable to handle his best player who under another coach with much less experience (30 years) handled Cuz very well? Did he call Malone for advice? Why couldn't he adjust his offense to match his players? Why all the whining about the team's defense when he didn't seem to have a clue as to how to coach it?

The musings of why the management made him coach the last 30 games is a joke. He is also the guy who refused to resign. Er, maybe it had something to do with money.

Let's move on. Please.

Bill Russell and Don Nelson were also Hall of Famers. Both dudes also sucked as head coaches down the stretch of their coaching careers.
Your preaching to the wrong crowd. As true a statement as that is, they'll never admit that it might apply to Karl too.

Like an aging player, coaches aren't immune to father time making them obsolete as well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I disagree that Rudy and Cousins can't work together. I believe that either Rudy or Cousins should be on the floor at all times, though. We need a default post-up option for every possession. That means that Rudy should play the 3. He's terrible when he tries to use his speed advantage against 4s. But I agree with Karl's assessment of our guard situation. To be honest I would rather let Rondo go because his skills aren't a good fit... but I'm conflicted, DeMarcus' recent interview heavily implied that he is good pals with Rondo. I believe culture is incredibly important. And keep Caron.
If your looking for ball movement, then having Rondo, Cousins, and Gay all on the floor together, is not a recipe for that. All three players tend to dominate the ball. Now if your into a post up game every time down the floor, then you'll be in post up heaven. I'm not a fan of a total post up game. I'm more of a ball movement guy. I think Karl's remarks are about having only one ball to go around. It doesn't mean that Cousins and Gay can't play together, but that it's not a match made in heaven.

If your looking for ball movement, then having Rondo, Cousins, and Gay all on the floor together, is not a recipe for that. All three players tend to dominate the ball. Now if your into a post up game every time down the floor, then you'll be in post up heaven. I'm not a fan of a total post up game. I'm more of a ball movement guy. I think Karl's remarks are about having only one ball to go around. It doesn't mean that Cousins and Gay can't play together, but that it's not a match made in heaven.
To clarify I am not a total post up person. I do believe that it should be a default option if set plays don't work out. When a play fails without a post option I see hot potato, rushed shots, and chucking. At the very least, a post up results in a better chuck than most chucks.

Well, ideally Boogie should be camped inside, so in a perfect world to complement that you need someone like Korver/Redick to move around and be a constant perimeter threat off the C&S at SG, while Paul George, who can pull-up from beyond the arc or drive into a mid-range pull-up, mans SF slot. That means opponents can't just shrink defense/close-out like against simple spacers, but have to worry about being torched by two perimeter threats.
Kings are not getting that lucky for a few years at least, until they can establish winning culture, so Rudy will have to do. I'm sure, if rookie HC without any rep for offensive prowess can get Gay to play the right way, Vlade's pick should be able as well.

I think the point he was trying to make about the guards was that the three he mentioned were valued for their shooting, and none of the guards mentioned, including Rondo, were good defenders. That's what I got from it, and I don't disagree. The only reason that Anderson got any minutes at all was because Karl was looking for some that could play defense, and match up size wise. I grant you that I think he could have handled the rotations differently, and better, but I think he was spot on about the problem.
Even outside of basketball, he was doing crap that NO NBA player would go for or wanna play hard for. He didn't care for them and likely wanted a lot of them OUT before his first press conference. Who would go balls to the wall for someone being shady behind the scenes? Trust is a big big deal.

It may be immature, and there was selfishness going around for certain, but Karl needs to take a bulk of the blame for bringing in that tired, defeated, and all around negative energy in from the gate. HE created that culture pretty much

Look, you can like or dislike Karl, and I appreciate good solid criticism, but to think that a coach that coached in the NBA for 30 years doesn't know how to draw up plays, or design an offensive scheme, is just ridiculous. Personally, I'm glad that Karl is gone, but I respect him as a person and a coach. He just wasn't the right fit for this team, and he was doomed from the beginning because of all the drama that preceded his arrival.
Respect him as a person? lol

Even outside of basketball, he was doing crap that NO NBA player would go for or wanna play hard for. He didn't care for them and likely wanted a lot of them OUT before his first press conference. Who would go balls to the wall for someone being shady behind the scenes? Trust is a big big deal.

It may be immature, and there was selfishness going around for certain, but Karl needs to take a bulk of the blame for bringing in that tired, defeated, and all around negative energy in from the gate. HE created that culture pretty much
Lol. A coach who wants a change in the roster of a sub 30 win team. Such a bad guy... Unheard of!

Lol. A coach who wants a change in the roster of a sub 30 win team. Such a bad guy... Unheard of!
Vlade changed the roster. Vlade didnt need Georgie to stir s up before letting him do his job.

George was hired to coach. Why is that so hard for people to understand. He wasnt hired to make personnel decisions.

If you are hired to wait tables and then decide to start meddling with the hostess and telling them where to seat people, there are going to be issues. Trying to draw a parallel here and I hope it helps some of you understand why Georgie fell out of favor so quickly.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Vlade changed the roster. Vlade didnt need Georgie to stir s up before letting him do his job.

George was hired to coach. Why is that so hard for people to understand. He wasnt hired to make personnel decisions.

If you are hired to wait tables and then decide to start meddling with the hostess and telling them where to seat people, there are going to be issues. Trying to draw a parallel here and I hope it helps some of you understand why Georgie fell out of favor so quickly.
There are certain people who are going to dig in and no matter what parallels you draw, they will side with George and bash Cuz.....people like Ailene, Andy Furillo, mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.