Vlade says DMC untradeable (on SiriusXmradio)

Why are George Karl and Grant Napear even talking about the tradeability of Cousins? Where's the loyalty? It probably hurts his feelings when he hears that we are willing to trade him. I'm so sick of Grant talking about it... he really doesn't like Cousins. I just hope he realizes his fans are what matters most.

I wouldn't say they play nothing like them.

Under Kerr they've done a lot of things that the glory day Kings did - big man (Bogut in this case) operating from the high post for handoffs and backdoor passes, lots of quick screens and especially pin down screens to free shooters, lots of two man game, using their PG more off the ball, lots more ball movement, and above all lots of guys looping as action is initiated from the elbow. Kerr undoubtedly picked that up from Pop but Pop took it from Adelman.

Obviously things are different because the rosters are different, but the offensive principles are largely the same. The Kings best player was Webber and the Warriors is Curry. The Kings had an elite defender at SG while the Warriors have one at PF. Etc, etc. But in terms of playing style I really see a lot of similarities.

The biggest difference is that the Warriors are going to win a title this year - mostly because there's nothing close to the Kobe/Shaq Lakers left for them to go through.
Very smart post and spot on observation. I agree, especially that it would be stupid to contradict Vlade's statement, a basketball icon who himself played and experienced how it was during their time.

And I hope the new roster coming this next season will really emulate that old glorious Kings style of play and hopefully stay away from relying too much on post-plays/heavy iso-plays (as in the Malone era). We need a little bit of versatility in offense with a better ball movement and faster pace to augment whatever adavntage we have in having a player in DMC. This would not be hard to come into fruition, since we have a willing and a complete player in DMC (our new and a bigger version of Webber) as our best player to lead this team. We need to replace some of our low basketball IQ players and those lazy on defense though.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You're a lawyer, right? This is a classic negotiation move....I'm not disagreeing that it very well could be to settle Cuz but I'm just saying there is no downside to saying it. Unless you're LBJ or MJ I really don't think anybody is untradeable.
You ALWAYS equivocate. Unless you're dead serious. Subtlety is key. But a blanket statement in public? Nah.

"We have no plans to trade him" = slight equivocation.
"You always listen to offers, but we want Boogie here" = slight equivocation

You don't come out and say that a guy's untradeable, slap your coach's hand a bit, unless you mean it. Not publicly. You could do it on the phone with somebody. But publicly you've put your name behind it. You turn around and trade him nobody has any reason to believe anything that comes out of your mouth afterwards.

I think you are substituting in your own feelings for what's on paper now. You wouldn't consider him untradeable, so no matter how clearly somebody says he is, you can always just say, well they didn't mean it. But if you're Vlade, newly minted basketball kingpin, you can't do that. It would just be another in the long line of egg on the face front office debacles to turn around and in fact trade the guy you just called untradeable, in public, during an interview.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
It's nice to see The Vladfather waste no time in putting Karl and his ego in check while immediately putting an end to the nonsense. Also notice, things have been very quiet lately, a welcome turn of events. It was leak after leak after f'ing leak until Vlade arrived. Now......silencio.

That's leadership.

You ALWAYS equivocate. Unless you're dead serious. Subtlety is key. But a blanket statement in public? Nah.

You don't come out and say that a guy's untradeable, slap your coach's hand a bit, unless you mean it. Not publicly. You could do it on the phone with somebody. But publicly you've put your name behind it. You turn around and trade him nobody has any reason to believe anything that comes out of your mouth afterwards.

I think you are substituting in your own feelings for what's on paper now. You wouldn't consider him untradeable, so no matter how clearly somebody says he is, you can always just say, well they didn't mean it. But if you're Vlade, newly minted basketball kingpin, you can't do that. It would just be another in the long line of egg on the face front office debacles to turn around and in fact trade the guy you just called untradeable, in public, during an interview.
Things can always change. What if he starts going nuts again? What if we continue to suck with him as our anchor? If Vlade traded him at the break next season when we are playing .300 ball, would anybody really care, including DMC? He's probably give Vlade a hug for getting him out of there. I don't think Vlade made that statement with the intention of shopping him right now. If fact, I think for sure he wants to go into next season and see how it plays out. I'm just saying don't be shocked if he did get traded in the next 2 years if we keep losing.

Things can always change. What if he starts going nuts again? What if we continue to suck with him as our anchor? If Vlade traded him at the break next season when we are playing .300 ball, would anybody really care, including DMC? He's probably give Vlade a hug for getting him out of there. I don't think Vlade made that statement with the intention of shopping him right now. If fact, I think for sure he wants to go into next season and see how it plays out. I'm just saying don't be shocked if he did get traded in the next 2 years if we keep losing.
If things change and he is no longer untradeable... then things have changed and he's no longer untradeable.

If the scenarios you suggest, God forbid, actually happen, then no one would care what Vlade had said before.

If things change and he is no longer untradeable... then things have changed and he's no longer untradeable.

If the scenarios you suggest, God forbid, actually happen, then no one would care what Vlade had said before.
I agree on all points! Let's hope we make some good moves this summer and we can fight for a playoff spot next year and not even think about trading Cuz.

So, basically you are saying that Vlade was wrong in making that pronouncement.

But what if that was the real truth as Vivek had always implied in the past?

Can people not say the real truth straightforward anymore in our world?

Glad to hear Vlade putting the end to this bullcrap and just quietly slapping coach's hand out of the cookie jar along the way.

Karl's job is to coach the team that he is given by the front office. It is not his job to proclaim who is tradeable and who isn't. He can put his opinion forward on team needs in terms of types of players, positions etc. but not on whether someone is tradeable or not. Just coach the damn team will you!

The only only person that can rebuild the trust between DMC and this team is Vlade and that is only that matters. Hopefully Karl puts his gigantic ego aside and coach DMC without any reservations or agendas.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
1. In no way do I even want to entertain the thought of trading Cousins. At all.
2. I firmly believe that Vlade means what he says, and says what he means, buuuuuuut:

[tinfoil hat]
  • When you say, "everyone's available", you don't get anyone's best offer. You'll get a ton of crap offers for players.
  • When you say, "he's untouchable", well, then you get GMs thinking either "hey, he's untouchable", or "hmm...what can we offer that is so good that they'll have to say yes?" They'll have to up their game in order to get Vlade to listen. Then, we're not looking at flexible pieces. At the very least, it's a bit of gamesmanship that PDA couldn't comprehend.
[/tinfoil hat]

I don't think what Vlade said really means that much, even if its a good gesture for Cuz. What it does shine a light on once again is just how stupid Karl was for making the comment in the first place. He deserved a public hand slap. We don't need a repeat of Westphal.

I'm not saying he didn't mean it, but let's be honest, he has everything to gain and nothing to lose by saying that.
That simply isn't true. Your view is awfully shortsighted.

Making a statement like Vlade did and have it play out as posturing for the sake of driving up the price of a potential trade would speak heavily to the integrity of the entire business.

Going forward, who would take the Kings front office seriously in any type of negotiation? It would become much more difficult to attract free agents than it already is and it could hinder their ability to re-sign their own going forward. The potential ramifications of doing business like that goes well beyond DeMarcus Cousins.

Vlade stating the obvious. DMC wouldn't be traded regardless of the GM or Coach, who is in charge. It was never more than an overreaction to some mindless comments of Karl and the usual stupid speculations from the media.

K

KingMilz

So if the Thunder offered KD and Westbrook for DMC and Miller would Vlade turn that down?
Take Miller out of the deal and yes you would otherwise we are giving up way to much

For all the statements he's un-tradeable and blah blah blah things change so quickly in life/basketball all it means for now is he won't be traded before season starts. DMC could become unhappy with more losing or things could turn out great under coach Karl and DMC could lead us to a 30+ win season.

There is no such thing as untouchable unless your speaking of guys like LeBron/MJ these level type players.

So Vlade doesn't want to trade him, good news. But what if he doesn't want to be here anymore? Considering the way this FO has screwed him around, and how much he hates to lose, it wouldn't be shocking. So where would we go from there?

Denver Carmelo trade all over again?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So Vlade doesn't want to trade him, good news. But what if he doesn't want to be here anymore? Considering the way this FO has screwed him around, and how much he hates to lose, it wouldn't be shocking. So where would we go from there?

Denver Carmelo trade all over again?
And this is exactly why I HATE "what if" questions. This board was crazy before Chris Webber signed his huge contract with us back in the day. So many people were convinced their "what if" was right and that Webber was headed to Detroit.

DMC has done NOTHING but proclaim his desire to stay a Sacramento King, to win games, to get to the playoffs, etc. Instead of worrying about "what if" that's no longer true, why not at least show a bit of faith in Vlade to put some players around him who will make it easier for DMC to do all those things?