Tyrese Watch 2023-2024

He and Fox were holding each other back. Two superstar level players but neither could succeed while the other one was taking his touches
Yup, very much like when Westbrook and Harden was trying to share the backcourt in their young NBA careers in OKC. They both couldn't flourish trying to share the ball. They had to be given the reigns to their own team to really breakout into superstars. The same thing is happening with Fox and Haliburton.

Hali is an offensive savant, but uhh.. They might need to figure out this side of the ball too. Doesn't help the Kings basically had the worst D-Rating of all time with Hali on the squad also. So might just be something that follows him.
Are you aware that we were bottom 3 on defense last year and bottom 3rd this year? We might want to stop and consider that before we call out another team’s defense. With that said, I see parallels with how Pacers are managing their team to ours. Make for an exciting team that will get ppl to buy tickets, try and make the playoffs, then you invest in defense

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

or they could literally just try playing Jarice Walker who was one of the best defensive players to come into the draft in a few years and who they picked in the lottery only to bury on their bench behind Obi Toppin and like forty 6’4”-6’6” guards who are incapable of staying in front of their man (Brown got his bag and immediately stopped trying on defense)

or they could literally just try playing Jarice Walker who was one of the best defensive players to come into the draft in a few years and who they picked in the lottery only to bury on their bench behind Obi Toppin and like forty 6’4”-6’6” guards who are incapable of staying in front of their man (Brown got his bag and immediately stopped trying on defense)
Careful Tetsu, don't call out their defense if you haven't written a 200 page essay about how bad our defense is.

Are you aware that we were bottom 3 on defense last year and bottom 3rd this year? We might want to stop and consider that before we call out another team’s defense. With that said, I see parallels with how Pacers are managing their team to ours. Make for an exciting team that will get ppl to buy tickets, try and make the playoffs, then you invest in defense
Kings:
Last year: 24th DRtg
This year: 17th DRtg

Pacers:
Last year: 26th DRtg
This year: 29th DRtg

We weren't bottom 3 last year and we're not bottom third this year. Very much trending up in the right direction with real encouraging defensive leaps from Keegs/Huerter/Domas especially. It's been very noticeable watching the games.

Meanwhile, the Pacers have employed the "We're going to score 130 and hold you to 129" strategy. That trend seems to be constant on every Hali he's been on thus far. So.. as I said...

Offensive genius. But you have to put a very specific set of defensive gurus around him for them to be any sort of playoff threat.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kings:
Last year: 24th DRtg
This year: 17th DRtg

Pacers:
Last year: 26th DRtg
This year: 29th DRtg

We weren't bottom 3 last year and we're not bottom third this year. Very much trending up in the right direction with real encouraging defensive leaps from Keegs/Huerter/Domas especially. It's been very noticeable watching the games.

Meanwhile, the Pacers have employed the "We're going to score 130 and hold you to 129" strategy. That trend seems to be constant on every Hali he's been on thus far. So.. as I said...

Offensive genius. But you have to put a very specific set of defensive gurus around him for them to be any sort of playoff threat.
The, err, interesting thing about the Pacers is that they kept Myles Turner because they believed in his potential as a defensive centerpiece over Domas on for him to end up on worse defenses than Sabonis.

The, err, interesting thing about the Pacers is that they kept Myles Turner because they believed in his potential as a defensive centerpiece over Domas on for him to end up on worse defenses than Sabonis.
I would love to see an alternate universe of what the discourse around Domas/Hali would be as a duo. My inkling is he'd be talked about like baby Jokic and not baby Papagiannis as he is now.

I don't see the point in ragging on the Pacers. Hali is playing well. They're in 6th place at 9-7. Things are looking up for them.

Don't forget, we had a similar start under Malone that one year and talked about it for years afterward as if it was the greatest thing that happened to us since 2004.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't see the point in ragging on the Pacers. Hali is playing well. They're in 6th place at 9-7. Things are looking up for them.

Don't forget, we had a similar start under Malone that one year and talked about it for years afterward as if it was the greatest thing that happened to us since 2004.
I don't think I'm ragging on the Pacers so much as I am just trying to figure out what they're trying to do as a franchise.

They do have a lot of picks to work with and Buddy's expiring to help work out a trade for a big/max level player but we haven't really seen Tyrese's style work with another player that demands touches (the ultimate irony remains that the perfect compliment for a Tyrese/Luka style ball dominator hub guard is Domas Sabonis) and a lot of the younger prospect level players they have aren't exactly world beaters unless you're of the belief that Jarice is being horribly misused by Carlisle (he is) or Benn is being holdback by the system and role he's being asked to fit into (maybe?). I am also the world's number one Rick Carlisle hater so that's probably clouding my judgement a bit.

I don't think I'm ragging on the Pacers so much as I am just trying to figure out what they're trying to do as a franchise.

They do have a lot of picks to work with and Buddy's expiring to help work out a trade for a big/max level player but we haven't really seen Tyrese's style work with another player that demands touches (the ultimate irony remains that the perfect compliment for a Tyrese/Luka style ball dominator hub guard is Domas Sabonis) and a lot of the younger prospect level players they have aren't exactly world beaters unless you're of the belief that Jarice is being horribly misused by Carlisle (he is) or Benn is being holdback by the system and role he's being asked to fit into (maybe?). I am also the world's number one Rick Carlisle hater so that's probably clouding my judgement a bit.
I'm surprised they even have the record they have with all the issues they have going on. Just goes to show how well Hali has been playing. He's really been carrying them.

Unfortunately Hali seems to be poison next to other guards, except for Hield, who you really can't win with anyway. Nembhard played well in Hali's place last year and has fallen off a cliff this year. Mathurin is having a sophomore slump. Hali really needs a Tony Allen type player next to him. A guy who is a tenacious defender and doesn't need to score unless absolute necessary.

I agree that he really needs to be paired with an offensive minded big man but they're kind of in a pickle because they have a good offense, horrid defense and one of the better defenders at the 5 in Turner. It would probably just exacerbate their issues by swapping him out for a different type of center. I bet they're kicking themselves for selecting Duarte over Sengun in the draft.

Agreed on Walker and I would throw Jalen Smith in there as well. The guy seems to always produce, yet doesn't get rewarded with minutes.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Pacers wasting a monster performance by Tyrese in the first half as they get torched by Jimmy Butler and JJJ. Just a complete and total meltdown by the Pacers, who are somehow both too small and too slow to guard the Heat. A 24 point swing.

(Also Buddy is 1-9 from three haha)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Tyrese just tried to intentionally miss a free throw with 27 seconds left, came into the lane too fast and is yelling at Buddy for some reason. This might be the Kingsiest game I've seen in a while.

I can see the parallels between last years Kings and them, but last years Kings had the issue of no notable defenders in their starting lineup, before Keegan's defensive breakout. Myles Turner is a 2 time leader in blocks who has anchored multiple Top 10 defenses in the past. I don't see how you come up from that.

Hali, Buddy, Mathurin, and Toppin are all bottom 20 defenders in the league. Replace Buddy and Toppin for defensive talent, sure, but I feel for the Pacers replacing Mathurin would be a much more bitter pill to swallow.