[Game] Timberwolves @ Kings 11/27/15 - 7 pm PST, 10 pm EST

Yeah, the TWolves announcing team is pretty sharp. I switched over to the Kings broadcast once I knew Doug was on the team today, but I was really impressed with their knowledge of both teams in the first quarter. And our offense is really limited. It's side pick and rolls, dribble hand-off jumpers, or lobs into the post. That's pretty much it. And yet it was working to perfection in the first half because the spacing was great and Rondo knew where the ball needed to go and how to get it there. I don't think Darren Collison is as bad of a player as he's looked this year, he was great last year running Mike Malone's offense. But the offense we're running now does not play to his strengths and having Rondo out there as the "shooter" alongside him is a considerable handicap too.
If we'd play Curry with Collison, as our only "smaller guard" lineup, Collison's efficiency would go up. He needs another shooter to play with him, like he had with Chris Paul.

If I'm not mistaken, the one game where Curry got a chance and got hot,....he was playing with Collison. Before they both got injured

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Your starting SG and SF are combined 4-22 FGs which included a garbage basket by Ben. I am not blaming Karl for that or the offense going through Darren on a few possessions in the 4th. The Kings held the Wolves to zero fast break points. Omri was balling. Rondo was balling. Willie and 2K had their moments. Marco was fire. Darren was decent. It is not hard to see the who the weak links were. I give credit to Wiggins for D-ing up on Rudy. I don't know who give credit for guarding Ben because no one was really guarding him and he still couldn't convert.
A few possessions?! Try the whole damn 4th quarter. I saw one time Rondo got the ball on a broken play with the clock winding down and he fired it into Kosta in the post resulting in free throws. Other than that, it was all Darren Collison running the offense. He was out of gas 4 minutes into the quarter but we kept riding him anyway. If Rudy makes a few of those easy ones it's a closer game but that still doesn't explain choking away the last 5 minutes because we couldn't hit a basket. Between the 6:26 mark of the fourth and the 0:31 mark we made exactly one basket. Sure if you look at the boxscore we needed more points from Rudy Gay, but it's hard to score when you're sitting on the bench.

I was at this game and Rudy really stunk up the arena.

If Rudy had any game tonight, i.e. at least 12 points, the Kings win.

His defense was even worse than his offense tonight and he made Wiggins and Shabazz look like all stars.

What was even worse was the PGs defense on the 90 year old Andre Miller. Miller just took the Kings apart tonight.

The KINGS are TERRIBLE without DMC.

A few possessions?! Try the whole damn 4th quarter. I saw one time Rondo got the ball on a broken play with the clock winding down and he fired it into Kosta in the post resulting in free throws. Other than that, it was all Darren Collison running the offense. He was out of gas 4 minutes into the quarter but we kept riding him anyway. If Rudy makes a few of those easy ones it's a closer game but that still doesn't explain choking away the last 5 minutes because we couldn't hit a basket. Between the 6:26 mark of the fourth and the 0:31 mark we made exactly one basket. Sure if you look at the boxscore we needed more points from Rudy Gay, but it's hard to score when you're sitting on the bench.
I thought Collision played better in the second half, but in the first half he literally refused to take a step inside the 3 point line on offense for a good 4 minutes. I get that he wants to move the ball but moving it side to side/ not trying to get penetration first and not moving after passing the ball is just ridiculous. If all it takes to be a backup PG is to stand at the 3 point line and make one or two passes sign me up! Whatever happened to him trying to drive the ball inside or go for midrange pullups? With him in the game the offense is just Marco running around trying to get a shot or playing a 2 man game with Omri.

Why do I get the feeling that DMC was held out of the game by the FO tonight to make sure he is ready for the GSW game tomorrow?

A much higher profile team and if the Kings could break the GSW streak, the Kings would be all over ESPN. o_O

Sacrifice this game tonight for the chance at the flashy WIN tomorrow. :eek:

If we'd play Curry with Collison, as our only "smaller guard" lineup, Collison's efficiency would go up. He needs another shooter to play with him, like he had with Chris Paul.

If I'm not mistaken, the one game where Curry got a chance and got hot,....he was playing with Collison. Before they both got injured
I'd be curious to see Marco as starter and Curry and Collison as back-ups. See how that guard rotation looks over 5 game stretch with Ben benched. DC may benefit with Seth on the floor with him like you say. Ben is allowing 50% FGs against 44% FG average. SGs shoot 6% better against him. He's not scoring playing with w/ best assist man in league who is playing brilliant basketball. Seriously WTF? His lack of progression as a player is depressing. Its always 1 step forward 1 step back with him. And this has nothing to do with Karl who has given him every chance to succeed.

You're blaming this loss on Darren sharing PG duties in the 4th? Sorry that's not why we lost this game.

If
It helps when almost every team in the league played directly into their hands in the offseason. You aren't going to outtrun the Warriors. but you might, just might, be able to outexecute them in a halfcourt battle. Instead every single GM in the league said hey! We should run too! Without stopping to consider if that really worked for their franchise and players.

Tonight it was Phoenix. Brilliant. Its like trying to outslug Tyson or outbox Mayweather. No you morons.
Everyone except Pop. He is posting up and playing half court defensive ball this year more than he has in the past 5. He sees the warriors and knows running with them will not work. Wish our organization had the forsight to see that!

I'd be curious to see Marco as starter and Curry and Collison as back-ups. See how that guard rotation looks over 5 game stretch with Ben benched. DC may benefit with Seth on the floor with him like you say. Ben is allowing 50% FGs against 44% FG average. SGs shoot 6% better against him. He's not scoring playing with w/ best assist man in league who is playing brilliant basketball. Seriously WTF? His lack of progression as a player is depressing. Its always 1 step forward 1 step back with him. And this has nothing to do with Karl who has given him every chance to succeed.
Are we really doing the Ben thing again? The Kings are 5-2 in games he has played 25+ minutes this season which means they are 1-9 in games he isn't playing many minutes. Hardly suggests he's the big problem.

Smaller guards playing together, generally only works if both players are good shooters. When Collison has the ball and Rondo is off the ball,...it's like playing 4 on 5 for the defense, because Rondo is not a consistent shooter...and never gets hot from outside, where he can really hurt a team out there.

That's why Collison and Chris Paul worked. Both can shoot consistently and both can get hot at any time

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Are we really doing the Ben thing again? The Kings are 5-2 in games he has played 25+ minutes this season which means they are 1-9 in games he isn't playing many minutes. Hardly suggests he's the big problem.
It does if it means he's sucked more often than he's been good, and the minutes are following his game, not the other way around.

Ben's looked better of late, but he's still as unreliable a starter as there is in the NBA. At least now when he's good he's pretty good. But you have no idea when that will be.

He's playing 25+ minutes because he's playing well on the floor in those games. When he struggles, he hardly plays the rest of the game, and we lose. We need a consistent SG to start who can give us 12-14 ppg and we can't rely on him to do that. Not to mention, his PER is horrible.

Tell me what Ben does well again? Because the basic and advanced stats say "nothing". His scoring production sucks playing with the best assist man in the league and his defense is porous borderline atrocious. His shot looks pretty and he jumps high but don't be fooled by aesthetics. He is having a bad year when you expect a player of his age and experience to show legitimate growth to his game. Good grief he lost his job to James Friggin Anderson! If his current play keeps up he might lose all his minutes to Seth Curry.

Tell me what Ben does well again? Because the basic and advanced stats say "nothing". His scoring production sucks playing with the best assist man in the league and his defense is porous borderline atrocious. His shot looks pretty and he jumps high but don't be fooled by aesthetics. He is having a bad year when you expect a player of his age and experience to show legitimate growth to his game. Good grief he lost his job to James Friggin Anderson! If his current play keeps up he might lose all his minutes to Seth Curry.
I really don't want to get into the whole Ben thing again but what he does is defend and shoot the 3 better than his current competition for his job, which isn't a good thing but it is the reality.

Ben came into the game shooting 42% from three, which is pretty darn good.

A bunch of those have come in garbage time when wide-open, no pressure. Ben is already garbage man all star for sure.
Not really. He made of bunch of 3 pointers in games against Brooklyn, Toronto, Miami and Atlanta that helped the team come back. Ben still struggles with consistency and is extremely a hot and cold player.

I really don't want to get into the whole Ben thing again but what he does is defend and shoot the 3 better than his current competition for his job, which isn't a good thing but it is the reality.
Except SGs are +2% FGs against Marco and +6% FGs against Ben. Ben doesn't close out on 3 point shooter. He fouls jump shooters. And he doesn't have much success playing passing lanes. And he's not a physical defender. There is nothing you can point to and say "I can count on that defensively". And if your shooting guard is only scoring 7.7 PPG his 3 point percentage is mostly irrelevant because there's not enough raw production to impact a game.

Its amazing to me how much more of a natural scorer Seth looks when he is on the floor for garbage minutes compared to the mechanical approach of Ben. It would be awesome if just clicked for Ben and playing like 2,000,000 minutes over the last 2+ years that has been the hope. But he's not a natural or intuitive scorer or an aggressive defender so we get games like tonight. I will say as an objective observer he does a better job of throwing the interior pass when he can't finish at the rim. So that is something I guess.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
one bad game does not entirely undo Ben's improved play the last week or two -- he's often been better than this of late.

It does however underscore that even better he's not great, and when the bottom falls out, we don't have a SG at all. You can hardly claim he was being oppressed by Cuz and Rudy in this one.

one bad game does not entirely undo Ben's improved play the last week or two -- he's often been better than this of late.

It does however underscore that even better he's not great, and when the bottom falls out, we don't have a SG at all. You can hardly claim he was being oppressed by Cuz and Rudy in this one.
He has had 4 bad games in a row by my count after 4 good games in a row. And I would say even better he's not even average. His PER is 8.79 and his defensive stats are the worst on the team (with Darren).

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
You're blaming this loss on Darren sharing PG duties in the 4th? Sorry that's not why we lost this game.
Sharing would imply both PGs splitting time handling the ball. That's not what happened at all. I'm not blaming the loss on any one thing other than I'm at my wit's end with George Karl's smallball nonsense. He's earned his spot in the hall of fame as a coach, but what he's doing to this team right now is inexcusable. How can you take a PG who is leading the league in assists and freeze him out of the offense for the entire 4th quarter? How come we still have guards routinely switching onto the other team's post players on defense 17 games into the season? How come we close out every quarter with three guard lineups and let the other team pour in layups and dunks? We have a size advantage inside that George Karl refuses to use and we have a depth advantage that he's managed to turn into a weakness. It's been the same thing all season long.

There were people on this message board that absolutely hated Mike Malone's bully ball system. They complained every game about how iso-heavy the offense was, how too many guys were just standing around watching the ball, how poor our three point shooting was, and how we kept jumping out to leads only to fall apart in the second half. At the time I thought those people were crazy. Pounding the ball inside and getting to the line is about as fool proof an offense as you can have in the NBA. It's impossible to stop and provided you have decent free throw shooters, it's consistent from game to game. Now I understand how those people felt because watching George Karl manage the game is infuriating to me. His reaction to every run by the other team is always to go even smaller, push the pace more, shoot more threes. It's turned into the Stan Van Gundy system and structuring your offense around the lowest percentage shot on the court is begging for inconsistency.

People are going to tear into Rudy Gay for this one, but as well as he shot in the last two games we should have expected a game like this was going to come along eventually. I don't even think it had much to do with Andrew Wiggins. He was taking tougher shots against Milwaukee, he missed some real gimmes in this game before he started forcing things in the fourth quarter trying to be the hero. I'm not even going to say anything about Ben tonight. He's playing for his third coach in just over 2 years. Today was not a good performance from him but I want him to keep attacking anyway. His mistakes almost always come when he has a shot and tries to make a play for someone else instead. Just like we need DeMarcus and Rudy to succeed this season, we need Ben so I don't see the point of belittling him. I grew tired of Jason Thompson's inability to think the game at the same speed as everyone else. I may eventually get there with Ben too but I'm not there yet. The effort we're getting from the entire team is obvious. Every single one of them is playing their hearts out. The role of the coach is to put his players in a position to succeed and I really think he's letting this team down right now.

K

KingMilz

I was at this game and Rudy really stunk up the arena.

If Rudy had any game tonight, i.e. at least 12 points, the Kings win.

His defense was even worse than his offense tonight and he made Wiggins and Shabazz look like all stars.

What was even worse was the PGs defense on the 90 year old Andre Miller. Miller just took the Kings apart tonight.

The KINGS are TERRIBLE without DMC.
His body is fresh he's not playing much this season and he has the size and smarts to do that to virtually any team that does not put a elite defender on him so that's really not surprising what he did, every time this year he's got extended minutes he's produced excellent play/numbers.

A problem, and it's not a defense of Ben or Rudy, they were poor tonight, but seeing this team in person, our ability to set screens has to be up there with the worst in the league. That however is a byproduct of the continued dumbass small ball lineups.
Disagree. It's been a trademark of our team for the last many seasons, small ball or not. Even under Malone our screen setting was terrible. Setting lousy screens is practically a prerequisite to get playing time on the Kings. Golden State sets excellent screens despite playing small with their bigs.

I liked our defense at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. We came out of the halftime very aggressively, our rotations were quick and we closed out to the 3point line very well.
Why can't we keep this up for the whole game?
But the Wolves made quite a few tough shots and we couldn't buy a basket at times.
crap happens!
But why we play Rondo off the ball with DC orchestrating the offense is beyond me.

K

KingMilz

I liked our defense at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. We came out of the halftime very aggressively, our rotations were quick and we closed out to the 3point line very well.
Why can't we keep this up for the whole game?
But the Wolves made quite a few tough shots and we couldn't buy a basket at times.
poopoo happens!
But why we play Rondo off the ball with DC orchestrating the offense is beyond me.
That's was largely due to Acy and his ability to contain Wiggins whenever he switched onto him, we should have played Acy on Wiggins for more of that game cause anyone else who was on him get torn to pieces. Yet people are complaining about Acy playing and blaming that as part of the reason why we lost.