The window has officially closed...

D

Double E

BigWaxer said:
What?

I assume Piksi was refering to the '03 version of WEBB. He did have superstar numbers that year. I don't refer to him as a legit superstar though.

When I think of superstars I think of the obvious names and Webb is not a name that comes to mind.

As far as the 03/05... Again I am assuming your talking about Webb... So your saying the Webb we had this year was of superstar quality? Just trying to clear things up so I can set up my reply...
Webb as a King was an elite player, whether you liked him or not. This season he hit a number of game winners, and finished with 3 of his last 4 as a triple double. We have been a .500 team without him, and our playoff hopes are dim. Webb is elite as a King. You can save your reply though, it is old and tired. I have heard it and read it enough.

Why are you telling me to save my reply?

I cried - 32 years old- when Webb was traded. I loved CWEBB and you will find no posts of mine hating on him. This is also one that is not intended to.

I am a huge Webb fan... You obviosly read what you wanted to in my post. I never considered him elite or superstar status. He is a superstar when it comes to KINGS players I will buy that. Of course if you say Webb was elite would you say Mich was elite also?

My definition of ELITE is Magic, Jordan, Bird... Webb cannot be put in that same catagory. That is my thoughts only though. I never said my opinion on it was the final word.

Go ahead and read into it what you want. Hang around a while and get to know people before you start to bash and make assumptions about them.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
BigWaxer said:
What?

I assume Piksi was refering to the '03 version of WEBB. He did have superstar numbers that year. I don't refer to him as a legit superstar though.

When I think of superstars I think of the obvious names and Webb is not a name that comes to mind.

As far as the 03/05... Again I am assuming your talking about Webb... So your saying the Webb we had this year was of superstar quality? Just trying to clear things up so I can set up my reply...
Superstar is semantics. Here is what we had, that we do not now: An identity. A leader. Somebody who had confidence (even when we did not) and who the team looked to. Somebody to build your attack around. Somebody smarter than the other team. A guy who the rest of the team would look to when things got tough. Somebody who took the pressure off of his teammates with his presence. Somebody to take the blame. Somebody who knew he was responsible for the team and had accepted that. In short somebody who the team would have turned to and rallied around in this situation.

We no longer have that, and we are suffering as all teams who lack that player do. When the going gets tough, our guys don't know where to turn or what to do, and there is nobody on the floor to rally them, nobody to give them that confidence. It was utterly predictable.

Bricklayer said:
Superstar is semantics. Here is what we had, that we do not now: An identity. A leader. Somebody who had confidence (even when we did not) and who the team looked to. Somebody to build your attack around. Somebody smarter than the other team. A guy who the rest of the team would look to when things got tough. Somebody who took the pressure off of his teammates with his presence. Somebody to take the blame. Somebody who knew he was responsible for the team and had accepted that. In short somebody who the team would have turned to and rallied around in this situation.

We no longer have that, and we are suffering as all teams who lack that player do. When the going gets tough, our guys don't know where to turn or what to do, and there is nobody on the floor to rally them, nobody to give them that confidence. It was utterly predictable.
Superstars are semantics as you say or a label. Everyone gets held to a certain standard and thats just sports. I was just responding to what people want to call a superstar and what a superstar is usually considered in todays standards.

I think Vlade was more of an off and on the court leader then Chris. Well I would go further to say I think it was all of them. Chris, Vlade, Mike, Peja, Doug. They worked so well together, it wasn't like they needed a Jordan on the floor trying to direct them. They were perfect pieces in the puzzle that all fit together.

Man the good ole days...Honestly there hasn't been a more likeable bunch of players on any team.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:

GD this is a good post^. I just wish the situation was different, but it's rapidly becoming all too clear.

Bricklayer said:

Thanks. That is it, in a nutshell. What we are missing without Webb cannot be put down on paper in terms of statistics, but you did a great job of putting it into words. With Webb the potential for greatness was there, because he believed, and made the rest of the team believe.

So you guys believe if we had Webb right now this series would be different?

Serious question I am trying to understand what you are saying.

BigWaxer said:

Yes, I believe this series would be different, I think the whole team would be different.The team changed dramatically when Webb left, and right now it seems like we have no real team identity. No one to lead the team, and tell them that nothing but a championship will do, no one to remind them of who they are, and that they can do this.

Would we be up in the series? Would it be 2-0, instead of 0-2? Who knows? Who knows if we even would have played the Sonics? Impossible to tell, right? What I do know is that even IF we were in the same situation, Webb believed in this team, and he made the team believe in themselves. And if we can't believe in ourselves, then we will not be able to salvage this series. Can the Kings find it in themselves to win? I sure hope so, but it's going to take each player finding the strength within themselves because there's no one to take the lead.

We'll never know what would have happened without this trade, or how the season would have played out, but yeah, I believe it would have been different with Webb.

I know we are getting off topic but good post LTK.. I agree with all that.

I think/hope that trade was for the better of the Kings future and think it will be.

I don't think Webb would have made a big difference in this series. Of course like you said nobody will know.

I admit I was one that wanted the Sonics, man bad thoughts by me...

DAMNIT I have nats on my pc screen, I think I smashed 10 of them already!

BigWaxer said:

I think had Webb never got injured we would already have our rings. But having him this year... it would make a difference and probably would help us win the series but I dont know how far it would get us after the defensive beating the nuggets took last night.

D

Double E

BigWaxer said:
Why are you telling me to save my reply?

I cried - 32 years old- when Webb was traded. I loved CWEBB and you will find no posts of mine hating on him. This is also one that is not intended to.

I am a huge Webb fan... You obviosly read what you wanted to in my post. I never considered him elite or superstar status. He is a superstar when it comes to KINGS players I will buy that. Of course if you say Webb was elite would you say Mich was elite also?

My definition of ELITE is Magic, Jordan, Bird... Webb cannot be put in that same catagory. That is my thoughts only though. I never said my opinion on it was the final word.

Go ahead and read into it what you want. Hang around a while and get to know people before you start to bash and make assumptions about them.
The save the reply was not based on your history, rather it simply meant I thought you were going to start another round of Webb bashing. I have heard enough of that. Your post that I responded to gave every impression that you were about to lay into me for finding Webb an elite player as a King this season.

BigWaxer said:

If that trade never happened, I think this years playoffs would be a lot like last years. I absolutely believe the Kings would have won at least a game in Seattle and would have ended up winning the series. After that, who knows, but like last year, they would have had a good shot to win in the conference semifinals.

Now, the team is not set up to do well in the playoffs. They don't have that leader. The current situation should not be a surprise. I am somewhat surprised that so many people are surprised that the Kings aren't playing well. This is what we have been expecting since that trade went down. That doesn't mean the Kings can't still pull out this series, I definitely think they can, but it should not be a surprise if they don't.

And besides, the trade was not meant for this year anyway. If we are right that the Kings would have performed better had Webber still been around, that doesn't mean the trade was a failure. Petrie had to expect that this would be the result. If the commentators are saying that the Kings are no longer contenders without Webber, they are right, but it is ok. Over this summer, next season, and next summer, the Kings will reload and attempt to build another elite team that is a contender. That was the idea behind the trade, and that is what I'll be looking forward to as a Kingsfan.

Until then, I'll enjoy the small successes and not sweat the anticipated "failures".

Some of this makes no sense to me. First people say we're not winning b/c the team is not used to each other and haven't played together then they're talking about getting rid of more of the team and even the coach. That's really going to help the consistency!!! I definitely agree we need more height, hobbit ball just isn't getting it done but is trading half the team and firing the coach the answer? I think we did damn good to get as far as we did. Of course I want us to win and we definitely miss Chris (I cried too) but we got 50 wins and under the circumstances I think we should be thankful for that and the fact that we even made even the play offs. Cleveland has a "superstar" and they didn't make it. There was so much negativity in the last game thread it was really making me sick. Yes the game was ugly for 3 quarters but I never gave up and we almost came back. I hope a lot of people ate crow that night. We're supposed to be the best fans in the NBA, let's act like it!!

Now im going to have to agree with the Maloofs... the window IS VERY MUCH OPEN!!!

Weeeerrreeee baaaaaaaccckkk!!! If we play like this the rest of the series... watch out Seattle.