The Sacramento A's Are Happening 2025-2027 (at least)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
i suppose I would go if in Sac but at the same time, eff that owner.
Ya, between my general apathy towards that franchise and the owner they can still kick rocks. But I hope Sac shows that we’re at least a feasible expansion location to be added to the short list.

Whatever is happening with the A's, Fisher wants no part of that Oakland and it appears personal.

The A's are leaving no matter what and if Fisher would rather have business dealings with Ranadive, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Sacramento didn't create the situation, nor did it give Fisher his only "out". If it isn't Sacramento, it will be another temporary site.

I can understand where A's fans may be upset, but Sacramento residents can't fix it or feel responsible for it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So as a lifelong A’s fan, I feel like I know how I’m going to handle the temporary (for now) Sacramento A’s but I’m curious how all you Sacramento-based Giants fans are going to handle it. A’s fans while they’re in Sacramento while also rooting for the Giants? Pretending they don’t exist? Laker fan-style antagonism?

So as a lifelong A’s fan, I feel like I know how I’m going to handle the temporary (for now) Sacramento A’s but I’m curious how all you Sacramento-based Giants fans are going to handle it. A’s fans while they’re in Sacramento while also rooting for the Giants? Pretending they don’t exist? Laker fan-style antagonism?
I plan to visit the ballpark a lot as it’s very close to me…I’ll go as just a baseball fan except for when the Giants are in town. They’re an AL team so it wouldn’t hurt to clap for them when they do well. I’ve always preferred the A’s to their regular American League rivals so there’s that. I went to a lot of RiverCats games when they were the A’s farm team and supported their players…but can’t see myself being invested in whether they win or lose.

I don’t see myself watching a lot of Sacramento A’s games on TV.

Probably not merch outside of a shirt to mark the occasion of a MLB team in Sacramento.

It won’t be difficult as a life long Giants fan though. Maybe if they were coming to Sacramento to stay and they were building a whole new park then that would be conflicting, but I know they aren’t Sacramento’s team.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I plan to visit the ballpark a lot as it’s very close to me…I’ll go as just a baseball fan except for when the Giants are in town. They’re an AL team so it wouldn’t hurt to clap for them when they do well. I’ve always preferred the A’s to their regular American League rivals so there’s that. I went to a lot of RiverCats games when they were the A’s farm team and supported their players…but can’t see myself being invested in whether they win or lose.

Probably not merch outside of a shirt to mark the occasion of a MLB team in Sacramento.

It won’t be difficult as a life long Giants fan though. Maybe if they were coming to Sacramento to stay and they were building a whole new park then that would be conflicting, but I know they aren’t Sacramento’s team.

Yeah, I think the thing for me as an A’s fan whose experienced Wolff/John Fisher’s cheapskate incompetence for the last 20 plus seasons, I’m not sure this doesn’t somehow end up permanent if the A’s do come to Sacramento. The Vegas plan is hitting speed bump after speed bump and Fisher still hasn’t really told anyone how he’s going to pay for his cut of the Vegas Sydney Opera House and his shares of GAP stock aren’t getting much more valuable.

I know that Sacramento doesn’t quite have the corporate base that most MLB cities do but it also is California’s fastest/only growing region with pretty much the biggest media market in the country to only have one major league sports team. Also, Sacramento has a looooong history as a baseball town which is probably going to lead to strong local support if the A’s even manage to be semi-not-embarrassing upon coming to Sutter Health Park (that’s a long shot, I know).

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Pretend they don’t exist. If it actually happens full time, I’ll still pretend they don’t exist. I’ve been orange and black for 36 years and nothing is changing that.

dude12

Hall of Famer
To be fair, I am a Giants fan first. But I want to like the A’s too. It’s just a bad product now. There is no reason for me to go watch them and includes the terrible stadium. If they built a waterfront stadium that was cool to go to like the Giants park, then that could draw me in here and there but that isn’t happening.

Yeah, I think the thing for me as an A’s fan whose experienced Wolff/John Fisher’s cheapskate incompetence for the last 20 plus seasons, I’m not sure this doesn’t somehow end up permanent if the A’s do come to Sacramento. The Vegas plan is hitting speed bump after speed bump and Fisher still hasn’t really told anyone how he’s going to pay for his cut of the Vegas Sydney Opera House and his shares of GAP stock aren’t getting much more valuable.

I know that Sacramento doesn’t quite have the corporate base that most MLB cities do but it also is California’s fastest/only growing region with pretty much the biggest media market in the country to only have one major league sports team. Also, Sacramento has a looooong history as a baseball town which is probably going to lead to strong local support if the A’s even manage to be semi-not-embarrassing upon coming to Sutter Health Park (that’s a long shot, I know).
Pretend they don’t exist. If it actually happens full time, I’ll still pretend they don’t exist. I’ve been orange and black for 36 years and nothing is changing that.
IF I were still in Sacramento (which I should be, by the way, but that's a whole different story that I really don't want to get into right now), I don't think I would really convert over to the A's since I've been a Giants fan pretty much my entire life. I'd still bleed orange and black. All day. Every day.

However, I'd visit the park and watch games, even if the Giants were not playing. I'd attend primarily as a baseball fan, but would mildly cheer on the team to do well.

If the other team is either the Dodgies or the Red Sux, then I'd go all out and cheer hard for the team.

Oh, and the Flubbies as well.

Will never be able to root for any of those three teams.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I’ll go as just a baseball fan except for when the Giants are in town. They’re an AL team so it wouldn’t hurt to clap for them when they do well. I’ve always preferred the A’s to their regular American League rivals so there’s that. I went to a lot of RiverCats games when they were the A’s farm team and supported their players…but can’t see myself being invested in whether they win or lose.

Pretty much something like this for me. I'm a lifelong Giants fan. But the A's are also a team I've always wanted to do well as long as it didn't conflict with the Giants. It will be the same thing if they temporarily come here. I'll go to some games for kicks (and the ones vs. the Giants would be instant sell-outs). I have friends who are A's fans I'd be happy to go with. But I wouldn't change any allegiance just for a temporary relocation here.

I'd definitely get a shirt or two just because of the Sacramento connection.

If they moved here permanently, then we'll have a serious conversation about which team might end up #1 (if they changed ownership group and actually, you know, tried to win). I always support the hometown team.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It was barely even a decade ago that Sacramento nearly lost the Kings for basically the exact same reasons -- they played in an aging nearly obsolete facility and their born-into-money owners got hosed by a recent recession / poor investments and had zero capability of managing local politics (not to mention a lack of financial resources) to get a new facility built and started begging for handouts elsewhere.

This move loses money for the A's over just signing the lease extesion in Oakland so it's really just a way to sidestep the PR fiasco of another 4 years of SELL chants and boycott games. As far as I'm concerned, Sacramento fans showing up to root for the relocated Oakland A's is no better than other NBA fans shrugging at the Kings re-locating to Seattle in 2013. It's a turncoat move and basically outs Sacramento fans as the same level of willfully self-serving as any other fanbase.

But that's just my opinion. Any notion of "honor" associated with professional sports is long since over anyway so why shouldn't they stoop to the same level of debased greedy corporatism as everyone else?

Warhawk

Staff member
It was barely even a decade ago that Sacramento nearly lost the Kings for basically the exact same reasons -- they played in an aging nearly obsolete facility and their born-into-money owners got hosed by a recent recession / poor investments and had zero capability of managing local politics (not to mention a lack of financial resources) to get a new facility built and started begging for handouts elsewhere.

This move loses money for the A's over just signing the lease extesion in Oakland so it's really just a way to sidestep the PR fiasco of another 4 years of SELL chants and boycott games. As far as I'm concerned, Sacramento fans showing up to root for the relocated Oakland A's is no better than other NBA fans shrugging at the Kings re-locating to Seattle in 2013. It's a turncoat move and basically outs Sacramento fans as the same level of willfully self-serving as any other fanbase.

But that's just my opinion. Any notion of "honor" associated with professional sports is long since over anyway so why shouldn't they stoop to the same level of debased greedy corporatism as everyone else?
I think the difference is that the team ownership has been intentionally alienating the city and fans by putting out a generally awful/cheap product (the Maloofs generally spent on the team and at least tried to be competitive on the floor) and they now seem bound and determined to leave Oakland no matter the cost. Obviously, they should sell the team to new owners who will work to keep the team there within the framework of the (apparently) good deal the city has been working on for years. But I don't think ANYTHING will save the team in Oakland at this point - and that's on the owner more than anything else. I wish the MLB could force a sale and would work to keep the team there. But I think at this point leaving Oakland is inevitable, and if so, I'd rather see the team in Sacramento than LV or anywhere else, even temporarily. At least the local fans can still see them for a while.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think the difference is that the team ownership has been intentionally alienating the city and fans by putting out a generally awful/cheap product (the Maloofs generally spent on the team and at least tried to be competitive on the floor) and they now seem bound and determined to leave Oakland no matter the cost. Obviously, they should sell the team to new owners who will work to keep the team there within the framework of the (apparently) good deal the city has been working on for years. But I don't think ANYTHING will save the team in Oakland at this point - and that's on the owner more than anything else. I wish the MLB could force a sale and would work to keep the team there. But I think at this point leaving Oakland is inevitable, and if so, I'd rather see the team in Sacramento than LV or anywhere else, even temporarily. At least the local fans can still see them for a while.
I can understand that point of view. But the part of this I disagree about is that the A's leaving Oakland is inevitable. The city has a stadium site in place, they have public funding in place, they've lined up potential new owners, and tens of thousands of fans are actively campaigning for Fisher to sell the team to a local ownership group. John Fisher is the problem and because MLB has an anti-trust exemption, the 30 owners collectively can do whatever they want to. But Kansas City has an MLB team right now because somebody was willing to fight for them and threaten MLB with the loss of their anti-trust exemption. The same could be done today for Oakland if there was enough popular support for it.

I wonder what becomes of the River Cats
They'll most likely remain in Sacramento, although, logistically speaking, scheduling will be a living nightmare for both sides, as I am not sure how feasible it is to always have one team play at home while the other is on the road. My guess is that Sacramento will be seeing a lot of 1:00p baseball action followed by 7:00p baseball action, and I assume that both teams will share the wealth when it comes to start times.

Warhawk

Staff member
I can understand that point of view. But the part of this I disagree about is that the A's leaving Oakland is inevitable. The city has a stadium site in place, they have public funding in place, they've lined up potential new owners, and tens of thousands of fans are actively campaigning for Fisher to sell the team to a local ownership group. John Fisher is the problem and because MLB has an anti-trust exemption, the 30 owners collectively can do whatever they want to. But Kansas City has an MLB team right now because somebody was willing to fight for them and threaten MLB with the loss of their anti-trust exemption. The same could be done today for Oakland if there was enough popular support for it.
100% agreed, but I just don’t see the support by the league to keep the team there for whatever reason, which was also crucial for keeping the Kings.

I will tell you all this much, and that is the simple fact that a lot of people are gonna lose their ish out here in Vegas if the A's strike a deal to remain in Oakland. And this city (Vegas) will look like absolute fools if that happens, considering the fact that they just, this week, shut down the hotel that currently sits on the site on which the baseball stadium is expected to be built. If that falls through, one must start to wonder how the heck Vegas is gonna recover, and just exactly what will be built on that site.

Maloofs notoriously spent the bare minimum on team salary required by the league for the last several years here. I think they were so in the red that it was really all the other NBA teams paying the Kings salary. They were great owners when they could afford to be owners but at the end it was impossible for the Kings to be competitive with them.

That said, there is differences. Sacramento isn’t stealing the A’s and at this point I don’t believe remaining in Oakland beyond this current season was something that was seriously considered by Fisher.

Vivek and Sacramento aren’t competing with Oakland to house the A’s for the next few years. They were competing with Salt Lake City. Sacramento vs Oakland is no contest. Staying in Oakland would’ve been financially the smarter decision just for the TV alone but as mentioned, Fisher would rather make less/lose more now than agree to a few more years of boycotts, chants, and the optics of 60,000 seat stadium being at 10 percent capacity on a good day. Thats not something that was going to get better.