The Kevin Durant "Hot Take" Omnibus thread

Wow so much hate. I thought was in the "why does everyone hate the Warriors thread" I would have preferred him to join Boston to give more competition in the east who is still a 1 team race desire what Boston and atl did, but all everyone cares about is rings. If this is what it takes then it's his choice. Haters will always find a way to belittle how you won the championship but if you win it, you are still a champion. I just hate that it will be gs/sa vs clev for the next few years. Cuts into boogies prime with us if he stays.

Wow so much hate. I thought was in the "why does everyone hate the Warriors thread" I would have preferred him to join Boston to give more competition in the east who is still a 1 team race desire what Boston and atl did, but all everyone cares about is rings. If this is what it takes then it's his choice. Haters will always find a way to belittle how you won the championship but if you win it, you are still a champion. I just hate that it will be gs/sa vs clev for the next few years. Cuts into boogies prime with us if he stays.
Needs a dislike button.

How you win makes a difference....hire thugs to take the knees out of all your competition so you sail into your championship ring. You still be saying "haters going to hate your still a champ!"

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Wow so much hate. I thought was in the "why does everyone hate the Warriors thread" I would have preferred him to join Boston to give more competition in the east who is still a 1 team race desire what Boston and atl did, but all everyone cares about is rings. If this is what it takes then it's his choice. Haters will always find a way to belittle how you won the championship but if you win it, you are still a champion.
Don't strain yourself patting yourself on the back, over how "enlightened" and "above it all" you are.

People may not like this, but is this the best time to trade Boogie and rebuild? We have no chance of competing in this league for the next few years, why not get ready for the future now?
Nope, now is as good a time as any. As explosive as the Warriors will be (offensively anyway), they now have 2 major weaknesses and as constructed, we can exploit one weakness pretty easily. They have no big man and they have no depth. Like none. With less than 3 million to use, the only big men they can get are very cheap and not good ones. Teams with good men can and will take advantage in the post and on rebounding. Cousins against Green and KD in the post?? HA! Neither stand a chance unless Green kicks Cuz in the nuts, which is certainly entirely possible. Even with 1 nut left, Cuz still has more than KD!

Warriors bench:
-Livingston
-no one else (Iggy moves to starting lineup)

KD has made a pretty bad choice here, OKC was better suited for him in every single way. But he has a player option for year #2, so I suppose anything is possible.

Needs a dislike button.

How you win makes a difference....hire thugs to take the knees out of all your competition so you sail into your championship ring. You still be saying "haters going to hate your still a champ!"
So mj couldn't have done it without pippen, Kobe without shaq or pau, Boston needed the big 3 and so did Miami, Warriors won cuz Irving and love hurt, lebron couldn't do it in Cleveland without the refs...everyone will have their reasons to belittle a championship whether it's valid or not.

Ps there's a big difference between joining stars which has been done before vs straight violently cheating But if you categorize them as the same that's you

for the record, it's really unfortunate that our typical cultural discourse views any criticism as "hate," as if there is no way to exercise one's critical faculties without falling into some kind of binary category...

yes, it's near impossible to win in the nba without talent, and yes, talent tends to attract talent, but it was just over a month ago that kevin durant's thunder lost in the playoffs to the very warriors that he just signed with. it's plenty reasonable to criticize an attitude that says, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." we call that the bandwagon effect, do we not? we criticize kings fans for leaving the purple behind in order to root for the warriors, do we not?

i can't believe i'm saying this, but at least lebron teamed up with dwyane wade and chris bosh in order to accomplish something new in miami. the heat weren't a perennial title contender when james and bosh arrived. the warriors lost in the finals this year, but let's not pretend like they weren't a favorite to win the title for the next few years before durant was signed. personally, i thought durant was more of a competitor than that...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
So mj couldn't have done it without pippen, Kobe without shaq or pau, Boston needed the big 3 and so did Miami...
Jordan didn't go to Chicago to play with Pippen, or vice versa. Bryant was drafted to the lakers, and O'Neal didn't go to LA to play with him; Gasol was traded. Neither the 80s nor the 00s Boston trio was an assembly of guys going to play with a team that had already won it all. Miami's trio was composed of one guy who, after winning a ring with a first-ballot HOFer, had spent three years trying and failing to do it by himself, and two other guys who had never won anything.

None of those situations are remotely analogous or comparable to what's happening here.

for the record, it's really unfortunate that our typical cultural discourse views any criticism as "hate," as if there is no way to exercise one's critical faculties without falling into some kind of binary category...

yes, it's near impossible to win in the nba without talent, and yes, talent tends to attract talent, but it was just over a month ago that kevin durant's thunder lost in the playoffs to the very warriors that he just signed with. it's plenty reasonable to criticize an attitude that says, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em." we call that the bandwagon effect, do we not? we criticize kings fans for leaving the purple behind in order to root for the warriors, do we not?

i can't believe i'm saying this, but at least lebron teamed up with dwyane wade and chris bosh in order to accomplish something new in miami. the heat weren't a perennial title contender when james and bosh arrived. the warriors lost in the finals this year, but let's not pretend like they weren't a favorite to win the title for the next few years before durant was signed. personally, i thought durant was more of a competitor than that...
This is a mouthful, but: Current discourse is filled with binary absolute POVs backed up by vague arguments of relativism that, at the same time, view critical nuances as sin. Reading news and social media is nothing but a headache for anyone with a critical thinking background.

I really like this. My only "Hate" is that I hate that I rooted for Golden State against Lebron. My dislike for Lebron was greater than my dislike for Golden State. Not anymore and I still dislike Lebron (almost as much as my dislike of the Lakers).

Jordan didn't go to Chicago to play with Pippen, or vice versa. Bryant was drafted to the lakers, and O'Neal didn't go to LA to play with him; Gasol was traded. Neither the 80s nor the 00s Boston trio was an assembly of guys going to play with a team that had already won it all. Miami's trio was composed of one guy who, after winning a ring with a first-ballot HOFer, had spent three years trying and failing to do it by himself, and two other guys who had never won anything.

None of those situations are remotely analogous or comparable to what's happening here.
Not comparing but those are examples of what a "hater" might say. My argument is someone who hates a team bad enough will find a way to say they weren't worthy of the title or put down the championship. Whether that reason is valid or not, or compares to what the Warriors did recently is not the argument. I'm not saying you can't hate or dislike what the Warriors did, that's your prerogative. As a Kings fan I preferred him to go east but I won't hate the Warriors for doing something to increase the chances of winning a title even if they already had a good chance to win in the first place.

This is a mouthful, but: Current discourse is filled with binary absolute POVs backed up by vague arguments of relativism that, at the same time, view critical nuances as sin. Reading news and social media is nothing but a headache for anyone with a critical thinking background.
indeed. i no longer participate in social media for that very reason. i was just commenting on the unfortunate reality of a cultural discourse that values the suppression of critical thought and the marginalization of detail and nuance. not to get political, but it's how someone like donald trump becomes a serious candidate for the presidency. binaries can be occasionally useful, but absolutism is often destructive to the democratic project of exercising free thought, especially in the context of "us v them" dynamics. one is not necessarily a "hater" for striking a critical pose, etc.

So mj couldn't have done it without pippen, Kobe without shaq or pau, Boston needed the big 3 and so did Miami, Warriors won cuz Irving and love hurt, lebron couldn't do it in Cleveland without the refs...everyone will have their reasons to belittle a championship whether it's valid or not.

Ps there's a big difference between joining stars which has been done before vs straight violently cheating But if you categorize them as the same that's you
Violent cheating is hyperbole....my point is how you win makes a difference in the convo of "greatness"..its why the story of an underdog winning it is inspirational while how LBJ got his first and surant doing is uninspiri g

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Not comparing but those are examples of what a "hater" might say. My argument is someone who hates a team bad enough will find a way to say they weren't worthy of the title or put down the championship.
If you're going to go by that criteria, anyone who doesn't cosign every personnel move is a "hater."

Went to a team that's been in the Finals two years in a row, and beat him in the playoffs this season. Pathetic.
Pathetic, no doubt. I really didn't expect this to happen. It just doesn't make sense to me. The guy really just put himself into a 'no win' situation and will lose a lot of respect from peers, fans and media in the process. He went to a 'ready made' team whose roster already has a recent title under their belt. They won 73 games last season and came within some bumps, bruises, and sprains from repeating as champs. The Warriors don't need KD to win. They've done it without him.

If they do win a title with him on the roster, he may be happy to have a ring but he'll never get the respect he wants or believes he deserves. Never. He won't even be considered the #1 player on his team anymore. In fact, good luck averaging anything close to 29 anymore. At best, he's an elite roleplayer now, nothing more. The Warriors are still Steph and Klay's team. Anybody wanna bet on who consistently takes the last shot of a close game?

Hey, anybody remember this tweet, some time around The Decision:
****ing hypocrite.
Great find. And yet another reason he's quickly going to lose respect from peers, fans, and media. He's not only a deserter over to the enemy, he's a hypocrite no less.

KD is a ****y. i'm shocked that he'd punk out like that. have some damn dignity! the team your on is on the cusp on doing some good things.
I surely hope all the LeBron haters that chastised him for teaming up with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh react even more harshly toward KD. This is far different.

While most felt the teaming up of the big 3 would result in a title (or more) at some point, it wasn't a ready made team. Furthermore, LeBron didn't join a rival team and roster that he couldn't beat beforehand and that just won an NBA record 73 regular games and proved that they don't need him in the mix to win.

I just lost all respect for him
You're not the only one. I'm still rather perplexed why he'd do this. I get wanting a title really, really bad. But there's a huge difference between winning a title as the clear cut #1 star on a team that had to climb the ladder and winning one by joining a ready made team that happens to have the back-to-back MVP on the roster. He'll never be validated. And imagine if they don't win?

Imagine what Michael Jordan's legacy might look like today had he defected to the Pistons around 1990/91 and won some titles with them. It wouldn't at all look the same. And he wouldn't widely be considered the GOAT.

Just look at how the narrative surrounding LeBron James has changed since winning the title with the Cavs. His 2 titles with Miami weren't nearly as respected, even though he didn't join a ready made team or join the enemy.

It looks as if Durant is going to get a ring and then team up with Westbrook somewhere after the "monkey (never won a title) is off his back"
After everything I said above, I'll also state that I'm not convinced the Warriors are better or that they'll win anything next season. They've got 3 elite scorers on the roster, no doubt. But there's still only 1 ball to go around. Curry nor Durant are used to playing 2nd or 3rd fiddle. One or both of their production will drop --- likely significantly. Both are rhythm players. Will they be as good when they aren't getting as many shots and are having to defer in order to move and share the ball even more?

Not only that, KD isn't known as a great all-around player. When the ball isn't in his hands and when he's on defense, will the Warriors truly be better? I'm not so sure. We'll see.

Last edited:
Violent cheating is hyperbole....my point is how you win makes a difference in the convo of "greatness"..its why the story of an underdog winning it is inspirational while how LBJ got his first and surant doing is uninspiri g
Lol. So when you say "hire thugs to take out the knees of your competition so you sail to your championship ring", what's specifically makes my description of "violently cheating" hyperbole. The fact I called the act violent or cheating?

at least cleveland was able to bounce back and get several 1st rd 1st picks after bronny skipped town. don't see okc being able to do the same. think presti is calling russ right now trying to feel him out whether he's gonna bolt too. can't lose him for nothing

I don't have an issue with Durant leaving OKC. Players come and go from teams all the time. Granted you expect your franchise cornerstones to stay, but in this instance I think Durant realised he might need to leave OKC and go elsewhere to win a ring (or rings). Now I don't blame him for doing that because every player wants to win a ring. I am sure guys like Reggie Miller or Chris Webber who sit on the sidelines wish they had won that elusive NBA championship during their career. But this move from Durant just seems like he has sold out to a greater degree than LeBron ever did when he left Cleveland...

When LeBron left Cleveland he was abandoning his hometown team and had never delivered that NBA championship. But when he went to Miami he didn't play second fiddle to anyone, he went to Miami and became their alpha dog. Sure, Wade had been in Miami for years and he was the face of that team, he was their go to player. But when LeBron walked through those doors it became his team, not Wade's team. LeBron became the go to player, the guy that carried them on his back when it was needed, not Wade. So while LeBron leaving in the way that he did left a bad taste in the mouth of a lot of people, at least he went to Miami and became the alpha dog that got them to four finals appearances. I think if you take LeBron out of Miami, I don't think Miami would have made a single final appearance in those years with a Wade and Bosh duo.

So that brings me to Durant. He is joining Golden State who in 2014-15 won an NBA championship, and this season, broke the Chicago Bulls' best regular season record and lost narrowly in the NBA finals to Cleveland. That team already has its go to guy in Steph Curry, it has his running mates Klay Thompson and Draymond Green. When Kevin Durant walks through those doors it is unlikely he is going to be the alpha dog on that team, he is going to become one of Steph Curry's running mates. It is never going to be his team, it is Curry's team. Heck, it is Thompson and Green's team before him. He's the fourth guy on that team, now he probably won't be the fourth guy on that team in offensive looks, but I would see him as the fourth guy on that team because Curry, Thompson and Green have all gone out there and proved they can not only beat the best together, but be the best together. Durant has never done that in his NBA career, so perhaps he thought if you can't beat them, join them.

If you're going to go by that criteria, anyone who doesn't cosign every personnel move is a "hater."
Nah. There are moves made around the league you can care less about. You don't have to love every move or hate every move. But if you hate a team enough, you will hate on every move they make.

I'm sorry that last statement is incorrect. I hate the Lakers and love the mozgov move they made. But for my own reasons. :p

at least cleveland was able to bounce back and get several 1st rd 1st picks after bronny skipped town. don't see okc being able to do the same. think presti is calling russ right now trying to feel him out whether he's gonna bolt too. can't lose him for nothing
You just brought up a point I didn't even think about. Not only did he desert OKC and their fans, he did so in a manner that hurt them as badly as was possible. They received no compensation at all. That's the worst.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Great players never are considered truly great unless they have a ring. Durant took the easy way out but who can blame him? After years pass, no one will remember how he got his ring but simply that he has one.

How often is Boogie criticized for not being on a team that wins as if he can control all that? KD is now on a team that may win and he will get some credit, rightly or wrongly, for winning a ring. Those who judge players have decided that a ring is important in recounting the legacy of a great player.

I wonder how many people who are crapping on KD are also those who judge players by how many rings they have.

KD did nothing illegal or immoral. It was his choice.

However, having said that, I am so disappointed in him. The dude is considered a super star and a TOP-3 or at least TOP-5 player in the world and I am sure he thinks highly of himself and then you act like a role player joining a team was already a favorite to win it all next year?! Not only that, they embarrassed you last time by coming back from 1-3. You were supposed to hate them, you were supposed to wanna beat them next time, not to join them. Do you have any Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant in you? If you are a superstar, you should be the man, you earn the ring. OKC was already a good team with another super star. Do not you wanna finish the business, to see whether you are truly the man and can deliver a ring and beat Cleveland and Golden State, not to join them for a free ride?!?!?? At least, when LeBron joined the Heat, he joined them as a super star, without him that team would have won nothing. KD was in LeBron's league for me, now he is Chris Bosh.

Again, it is not my business. KD did nothing immoral. Obviously great for GSW fans and management but as NBA fan and a guy who previously had a ton of respect for KD, I am disappointed., deeply disappointed in KD. Simply speaking, mistaken KD for another man.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Is anyone feeling better about Boogie's loyalty? I don't know what will happen in a year or so but so far he has publicly stated that he will stay with the Kings because he sees it as his responsibility to make them a winner. Perhaps I am reading too much into what he has said but I think not.