Summer League Roster

I dont think trading Moreland now would be a good idea. Whats wrong with stocking up on long defensive players? Moreland's upside is such that its in the Kings best interest to further develop him before trading him. Right now he is worth little. He will probably end up being worth more.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't have a lot of hope with Moreland, mainly because I didn't see a lot of his game. I cheer for the big man, though. If someone can convince me about his game, please do so!
Moreland was very impressive in summer league last year. He surprised a lot of people with his shotblocking and rebounding. However, if you had followed his career at Oregon St, it might not have been as big a surprise. He was a four year player, and his last two years there he averaged 2.2 and 2.3 blocked shots per game along with 10 plus rebounds per game. Oregon St. wasn't exactly a powerhouse then, so he didn't get the press he might have gotten at UCLA etc. But we did get a hint of what could be. It's a shame he got injured, but we have him under contract for two more years.

Bill Herenda ‏@billherenda
#Kings adding Corey Hawkins of #UCDavis to #NBA summer league roster according to league sources
Bill Herenda ‏@billherenda
Stauskas, Stockton, Moreland, Sim Bhullar, McKissic, David Wear also expected to be on #Kings #NBA summer league roster
CollegetoProSports ‏@collegetopros
WVU’s Juwan Staten to join the Sacramento Kings
Wisconsin Basketball ‏@BadgerMBB
#SO to @DDukan13 who will be playing on the @SacramentoKings in the #NBA Summer League in Vegas.
Stockton/Staten
Stauskas/Hawkins
McKissic/Wear
Moreland/Dukan
WCS/Bhullar

So I was wrong, Ben is not going to play.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Stockton/Staten
Stauskas/Hawkins
McKissic/Wear
Moreland/Dukan
WCS/Bhullar

So I was wrong, Ben is not going to play.
I've always looked at Dukan as more of a SF than a PF. Not much of a rebounder or shotblocker per say. I guess you look at him as a stretch four of sorts, but his three point shot is still a work in progress.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'm interested in these things off that roster:

Stauskas- not so much in skills but more in how he looks physically...want to see him aggressive in taking open shots and driving

Stockton- in that last regular season game....the little guy pushed the ball and was all over the place as a pest. A tremendous opportunity for him

Hawkins- curious to see how he translates to better competition....good player

Moreland/WCS - defense...interested to see these guys play together....interested to see WCS period

Bullard- is he in shape or rather better shape

Should be fun.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I still want Moreland to succeed with us.

Better rebounder and shot blocker than WCS. OTOH, Trill is a much more versatile defender, and if his shot is as good as he claims, not the liability on O that you get with Moreland.

If WCS needs his minutes limited, I'm rooting for Moreland to succeed. Best case we have a defensive two headed monster playing alongside Cuz.

Two young shot blockers is a good problem to have.

I like Moreland, but he looks undersized imo. It's very hard to tell him apart from a wing during the games. I think he was listed at 6'10 220lbs.

Id like to see him improve. A lot of talent there with his crap blocking. I Think he's more of a shot blocker than a rim protector.

I really want to see Bhullar's new and improved conditioning.

I want to see more confidence with Nik. I hope to see him light up the summer league.

Moreland was very impressive in summer league last year. He surprised a lot of people with his shotblocking and rebounding. However, if you had followed his career at Oregon St, it might not have been as big a surprise. He was a four year player, and his last two years there he averaged 2.2 and 2.3 blocked shots per game along with 10 plus rebounds per game. Oregon St. wasn't exactly a powerhouse then, so he didn't get the press he might have gotten at UCLA etc. But we did get a hint of what could be. It's a shame he got injured, but we have him under contract for two more years.
Good to hear!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I like Moreland, but he looks undersized imo. It's very hard to tell him apart from a wing during the games. I think he was listed at 6'10 220lbs.

Id like to see him improve. A lot of talent there with his poopoo blocking. I Think he's more of a shot blocker than a rim protector.

I really want to see Bhullar's new and improved conditioning.

I want to see more confidence with Nik. I hope to see him light up the summer league.
I remember two guys by the name of Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman that were both undersized and they found themselves a nice niche in the league by pure hustle, determination and strictly focusing on defense only.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Sim is also pretty skilled.

It's a shame the dude looks like he probably gets gassed from simply getting out of bed in the morning. If he can get into shape he could be a pretty good bench big.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Love that we're bringing in Hawkins. A small school scorer with a fantastic shooting stroke (considering who his dad and who's been coaching him for the past three years this isn't the least bit surprising). He's undersized at the two guard but not really enough of a creator or athletic enough to play the one. But he can shoot and isn't entirely a waste of space defensively. If he pans out, he could be a less Marcus Thornton-ey Marcus Thornton (meaning he's capable of catching and shooting and generally not being Marcus Thornton), which would go a long way to helping the bench not crap away games while Boogie's sipping Gatorade. Plus his dad played for George Karl, which could mean a lot or absolutely nothing.

If u told someone who had no idea where players were drafted and just had them watch Summer League to evaluate the rookies, they would have thought Moreland was a top 5 pick. He was that impressive in SL last year. A statistician did some number-crunching and found that Moreland was one of the top 3 most important players to step on the floor in SL. It should also be noted that its not often a guy who's played 3 NBA minutes and went undrafted has trade rumors that other teams want him.

As a side-note, I see a lot of marketing potential with bringing the super long/athletic/ high energy/defensive minded WCS and Moreland off the bench. Being the "block brothers" or whatever nickname you want. That could be a cult following thing among Kings fans get behind real quick.

Last edited:
This is Nik's time to shine. No scorer down low for this roster. But anybody on this front court could give him a more than decent screen.
He should come out shooting from all cylinders.

K

KingMilz

Deandre Liggins is also on the roster. Former teammate of Boogie's at Kentucky and former defensive player of the year in the D-league.
From the few times I saw him in the Thunder he actually played good D in the NBA as well, didn't he get derailed by injury/alleged assault charges or some other sort of charges.

Also why is Ben not playing the guy should be taking every chance to work on his game in a live environment which is what the SL is built for , for players like him.

SL roster usually carries 12-13 guys, and so far we have 11 names, which means Ben may still get on the court. Thing is trying out Mclemore as a lead guard would be much more helpful than playing off the ball and catching a few oops, which he is destined for given the composition of the roster.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Deandre Liggins is also on the roster. Former teammate of Boogie's at Kentucky and former defensive player of the year in the D-league.
Liggins is a good player to take a SL flyer on. Karl wants a wing defender who he can set loose on opposing star players and being a versatile defender is really Liggins' calling card. And I think that's really taking a page from the Spurs in terms of grabbing a guy with 3&D potential who has bounced around a bit, played overseas and who is now hungry and willing to buy into a program to earn his spot.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Liggins is a good player to take a SL flyer on. Karl wants a wing defender who he can set loose on opposing star players and being a versatile defender is really Liggins' calling card. And I think that's really taking a page from the Spurs in terms of grabbing a guy with 3&D potential who has bounced around a bit, played overseas and who is now hungry and willing to buy into a program to earn his spot.
Unfortunately, when he was last in the league, Liggins displayed the rough shooting prowess of a rookie Deandre Jordan.