"Spectacular" Kings announcers

I am somewhat new to nba league pass, so I have only heard the Kings announcers on a couple of occasions...and I just have to say that I think they rank near the bottom of the leauge. Now I live in the town with the most homerific announcers in the NBA (Dallas), but Sac has to rank right up (or down) there. I have heard other "homer" announcers on league pass that manage to be informative and entertaining without obnoxiously rooting for their team, so it is possible.

And boy do they seem to hate Webber or what? Every other comment last night seemed like a subtle (or not so subtle) jab at #4.

I really prefer announcers that at least try to convey some objectivity. Last night (as well as the other times I have heard them), they were wearing the purple-colored glasses far too often for my tastes. I realize they are the Kings announcers and they should be tilted slightly towards the home team, but it seems a bit too blatant for my tastes (still not quite on the level of those Mav announcers...those idiots often force me to hit the mute button).

Oh, and can we buy them a new adjective to use in place of spectacular? I think I heard that word about 50 times during the game last night.

B

buddahead_916

LOL, they are on the comcast sports network that is broadcast to the entire city of sacramento, that's why they root for sacramento.

I have no idea what your talking about either. I live in Killeen texas (awful), and also have the league pass so I don't have the priveledge of seeing grant and jerry very often. Ninety percent of the time I'm listening to whoever the kings are playing that night's announcers, and they root for their teams TOO. So it goes both ways.

everyone was saying what big homers they were last night...but i honestly didn't see any difference last night then on any other night...::shrugs::

Every teams annoncers are homers...personally i think the worse are the LA Clippers announcers...and those Denver announcers the other night were pretty rude if ya ask me...i was watching an Orlando game last night against the Hawks..and those Hawk announcers were pretty cool...i also like Portland and the Bobcats announcers...but then again maybe they were easy to like cuz their teams aren't exactly the toast of the league and they are pretty much expecting their team to lose

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I only get to hear Grant and Jerry sporadically, but I have to agree that they have really sunk in my eyes over the last few years. I used to actually think they were among some of the less biased of the local announcers -- there are a LOT of homer hacks around the league. But in the last year especially, its become almost embarrassing to listen to them at times -- they seem to have a lot of agendas (from pimping Bibby as a surefire All Star before the break, to pimping the new guys now), and they can make me squirm with their homerism, and I'm a Kings fan! I'm always thinking what other League Pass viewers must be thinking when they hear them, and like I say, its kind of embarrasing.

I did hear a Philly fan say last night how they hated how whenever Brian or Kenny did anything Grant exaggerated their names and gave their names extra emphasis..haha...and the Dallas game was pretty obvious...they hated on the officials everytime they missed a call for the Kings or made the wrong call against the Kings and then when the same thing happened to Dallas Jerry specifically would say "Well its impossible to get everything correct you can only hope that it evens out"

now that i actually look back and think about it...i actually find it kinda funny

Bricklayer

kingsfan52miller said:
whats wrong with being a homer? do we really wanna hear how great the other team is?
I want to hear a LITTLE objectivity, yes. There are times when I'm not even sure we are watching the same game and I am stuck saying "oh B.S." to our own announcers. And the thing is, like I said I'm not even entirely convinced its all just them being overzealous fans - at times there is a definite conscious agenda, and that especially I really want left out. Announce the damn game, don't give me a bleeping advertisement for your cause of the month. Its like they have talking points handed out before the game, and anything that goes on during the game will be interpreted according to how it fits in with their preconceived agenda. That's just sucky. I find it more than a little offensive that there may be a conscious attempt to manipulate me through their bully pulpit. Don't recall it really being that way 3 or 4 years ago.

Last edited:
I don't have League Pass so I don't really know what other team announcers said/act. But I do agree that a lot of time, Jerry and especially Grant get too homer on the Kings. Sometimes I just laugh at what they say cause it's so biased. If you're not a Kings fan, you'll probably not enjoy them as much. Even though I think they're Kings homers, I do like the excitment they bring. It's not boring, at least to me. The Warriors announcers are BORING. Even when JRich does an amazing dunk, they just say "Wow, what a great dunk." But nothing exciting in their voice. LOL. It actually makes me want to listen to Grant & Jerry.

I think, at least in regards to the post trade Kings, there was a circle the wagons mentality amongst Kings employees. The national media was pretty quick to pan the trade with many saying the Kings got "nothing" in return. So, I think Grant and Jerry who are both emplyed by the Kings took in personally and go out of their way to pump up the new guys.

I think Grant is still one of the better play by play guys in the league.

Last edited:
Napier has been HORRIBLE the last couple of seasons, and I think last night may have been his absolute nadir as an announcer. He just seemed to be half-coherently screaming into the mic after routine plays, and his constant attacks on Iverson were unfounded (Memo to Grant: 13-30 is a GOOD shooting performance - when you try to use it as a negative example, you look like even more of an idiot!). His cliches are annoying and often show a fundamental lack of understanding - I HATE how he constantly parades the Kings' winning percentage when winning/losing after 3 quarters as if it has some bearing on a close game. Grant needs to take an introductory statistics course - that stat is invalid for close games because it is skewed by the inclusion of blowouts on one side or the other.

Napier has devolved into another shrill schill - too bad because I actually liked him as an announcer a few years ago. Jerry, on the other hand, I can take - his schtick is annoying, but at least he really knows basketball - he's average for an NBA color man, IMO. Too bad his P-b-P man is about of the same quality of House Party Live and those horrid Kings Store commercials.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
RangerC said:
Napier has been HORRIBLE the last couple of seasons, and I think last night may have been his absolute nadir as an announcer. He just seemed to be half-coherently screaming into the mic after routine plays, and his constant attacks on Iverson were unfounded (Memo to Grant: 13-30 is a GOOD shooting performance - when you try to use it as a negative example, you look like even more of an idiot!). His cliches are annoying and often show a fundamental lack of understanding - I HATE how he constantly parades the Kings' winning percentage when winning/losing after 3 quarters as if it has some bearing on a close game. Grant needs to take an introductory statistics course - that stat is invalid for close games because it is skewed by the inclusion of blowouts on one side or the other.

Napier has devolved into another shrill schill - too bad because I actually liked him as an announcer a few years ago. Jerry, on the other hand, I can take - his schtick is annoying, but at least he really knows basketball - he's average for an NBA color man, IMO. Too bad his P-b-P man is about of the same quality of House Party Live and those horrid Kings Store commercials.
In general I have to agree... Grant Napear has become extremely annoying to me, at least in part because he's trying to be too different people at the same time. On his radio show, he is biting and sarcastic and rude and "cutting edge" although he doesn't do it very well. With the game broadcasts, he is so homer he makes ME look like an anti-fan. ;) I think the time has come to find a new PBP guy for Reynolds, someone who doesn't have two different masters.

As far as House Party goes, I admit it's a lot better when Tank is on the show. I really like his perspectives.

About those commercials? Thank God. I thought I was the only one in danger of hurling my spleen every time they come on...

;)

Gerry Gerald is one of the best.

Grant (and Jerry- though Jerry Renolds is absolutely horrible) is on par with most announcers, not very good.
Those who are worse: Celtics, Rockets, Lakers, Pheonix, Blazer radio, Seattle
THose who are better: Chicago (I really enjoy listening to them), Phillly, Indiana, New York (minus their color guy), New Jersy

AW, Com'n VF ...

VF21 said:
About those commercials? Thank God. I thought I was the only one in danger of hurling my spleen every time they come on...

;)
LOL ..... I can't help but crack-up when that one with THE STONER (well, that's what he reminds me of) watching the game and gets smacked right in the face with that HD-BASKETBALL ...

"Compliments of The Maloof's" ...

Think the Maloof's are writing their own commercials (heh-heh) ???

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Heuge said:
Gerry Gerald is one of the best.

Grant (and Jerry- though Jerry Renolds is absolutely horrible) is on par with most announcers, not very good.
Those who are worse: Celtics, Rockets, Lakers, Pheonix, Blazer radio, Seattle
THose who are better: Chicago (I really enjoy listening to them), Phillly, Indiana, New York (minus their color guy), New Jersy
I like Jerry Reynolds because he has been with the team since the beginning and often brings up great anecdotes of times gone by.

If I had to pick the absolute worst team, it would be Boston...

VF21 said:
I like Jerry Reynolds because he has been with the team since the beginning and often brings up great anecdotes of times gone by.
I appreciate Jerry's tenure and incites as well. I love how he brings up details about the good-ol-days (or not so good-ol-days). But communication isn't his strong suit and he tends to fumble around as a broadcaster.

Yeah, I totally agree the announcers for Sac aren't that great. Honestly I could do without Jerry, he seems like a really nice guy and has deep ties with the organization but he is just way too biased sometimes, it's good to be a little but cmon, you gotta have some objectiveness.

I'm in SoCal so I mostly get Laker games and back in 2002 they would say "World Champion Los Angeles Lakers" like every 2 minutes. annoying as hell =P

i have no problem with Jerry...he's corny as all hell....and i do think that sometimes he's forced to say certain things just because of something that Grant says...but he knows basketball...and at least once a game he makes me laugh...everytime he says "spectackalar" i laugh out loud

I agree with Heuge in that the Chicago announcers are some of the best...they don't really get all that enthusiastic...meaning they won't get so excited that they want to jump out of their seats...but for them its okay...and they both know the game of Basketball real well...i must say though i can't stand NYs announcers...Mr. Frasier's choice of adjectives bug the hell out of me....i mean does anybody actually talk like that in real life?

I don't mind the bias. Makes me feel like I'm watching the game with a couple other Kings fans. :) I usually agree with their "biased" commentary anyways ;)

I will say this, if you think the kings announcers are biased, they are actually the some of the least biased announcers in basketball.

If you have watched as many games on league pass as I have (I have had league pass for 8 years) you would understand how overly biased some of these announcers are.

I will say this grant and jerry give props to other teams players like no other announcers do! I cannot begin to count the amount of times these announcers on other teams act when bibby has a good game against them.

look at the annonucers in boston or even charlotte and the list goes on and on!

heck most of these guys cannot even say another teams name right let alone get stats right!

as far as the kings announcers getting excited about one of the great plays by THE TEAM THEY ARE ANNOUNCING FOR! what do you expect they are Kings announcers! They DO NOT have to be un-biased.

I would have to say the best announcer ever has passed away (in Los Angeles), but believe me the kings announcers are not even close to the bottom of worst announcers.

I will say this much I hate watching games broadcast on league pass with other announcers, because they are way more biased than grant and jerry. There are a few who are not so bad, but most of them act as though the Kings are the bottom of the barrel and there team is the best.

Bostons announcer is absolutely the worst and calvin murphy was 2nd behind him.

Bricklayer

Diehard Jim said:
If you have watched as many games on league pass as I have (I have had league pass for 8 years) you would understand how overly biased some of these announcers are.
I've been watching LP for years too, and like I say, Grant & Jerry have sunk considerably vis-a-vis the rest of the league in the last few years. From near the top of the barrel, to corporate shills as bad as any team (outside of Boston).

Its gotten bad enough that on those rare occasions when I have a choice, I will actually intentionally turn on the national broadcasters rather than Grant & Jerry. That's not a good sign. (I do, of course, draw the line at Walton ;) ).

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
VF21 agree whole heartedly. Tommie Heinshon is the worst homer in the NBA and biased and blind. I watch-listen to all Kings games on satellite and pop in to a number of other games every night go get a chance to hear most of the other announcing teams several times in a few weeks.

On whole Grant and Jerry are in the top 1/3 and much of that is Jerry, if you like his midwestern twang-view on things. He has more fun doing the telecasts than anyone. Grant, yeah he's hard to take at times and does carry his burning crosses, does a generally good job but I think he is just auditioning for the announcing job for the NY Rangers or any pro team announcing in NYC.

You want a really good and maybe in time great announcer? Listen to Brian Wheeler up in Portland: hmmm, tough as he only does radio, but he is good, objective and has a great calm style on the air. He also is a stats geek of grand proportions and smart about it and the rules.

I guess I am a homer!;)

Like a lot of people I have league pass and I just don't see the Kings crew as being anymore homers than the majority of team announcers.

Man, does anyone remember Calvin Murphy's Houston broadcast?

PRICELESSS!!!!

I think Jim Barnett does a good job on the Warriors broadcast.

I am glad I am not alone. From about the 2002-2003 I have noticed a steady decline in their production and now, I often watch a game with the TV on mute and the radio on. Gary Gerould remains the same, a true professional. Can't say the same about the big red head. I hardly even listen to his show anymore. If I do its no more than 8-10 min at a time, any more and I'd have to pour iodine down my ear canals. Oh and don't even get me started on his echo...

Grant gets a little too heated when things aren't going our way. I understand bad refs ect, but he continues to bring this stuff up weeks later. Get over it :) I'm just guessing it gives fan of others teams tuning into nba tv a bad impression. I really don't like ABCs stone announcers.

As far as House Party goes, I admit it's a lot better when Tank is on the show. I really like his perspectives.

Are you being serious here?

I think having that guy on an already bad show is a rotten combination.

And while both Grant and Jerry are complete homers, 99% of the other announcers I listen to in other markets are awful... just plain awful.

No House Party for me. That stuff has killed more men than bullets...

a couple things i want to interject:

Grant/Jerry have started to bug me by saying "The cat is on the prowl tonight!" WAY too much...its EVERY gosh darn game...

I think Grant/Jerry have diminished slightly over the past 2-3 years, altho i don't get much of a chance to listen to non-ESPN/ABC announcers when it comes to NBA games

lastly, I HATE Walton, so I'm with Brickie here.....a)he sucks at announcing b)he sounds like an idiot c)he's a lakers homer even tho he played most of his career w/their then rival Celts and d)he sucks at announcing

ok, just my two cents, for now...

I have to join in on the Walton bashing. During the 2002 playoffs I was surprised the censors allowed his schtick on the air. All that blatant Laker butt kissing had to violate all sorts of decency laws.

Grant and Jerry have gone downhill over the past two years. Especially this past year there has been a sense of lowered expectations about the team. Fans also seem less zealous. It's hard to come by a Kings fan who is truly enthusiastic about the post season. I think the Maloofs have noticed this and set Grant and Jerry the task of dumping sugar on the mess to sweeten things up. When things get too bitter that sugar won't help (all the injuries - again, and the trades) they create some distraction by screaming at the refs. Not that screaming at the refs is unwarranted. Goal tending anyone?

Just my $0.02

I think I disagree with almost all of you.

I cannot stand Jerry and he is from the state I was born. I don't need to hear that Diaper Dandy, Peja VU stuff.

Grant on the other hand, he is calling a game to a KINGS fan base. Lets keep that in mind. He is supposed to get hyped up on great plays, bad calls and so on.

He has pretty good catch phrases, I don't watch others except for national ones and I like him the most. I am watching my team and yes I want a Homer announcer feeling what I do. I know about the other teams I don't need analysis about it. I bet a lot of people that complained here in this forum also complained about Hubie giving to much info a few weeks ago.

The national games should be un-biased. The local broadcast IMO should show bias and I like it.

Radio talk show Grant VS play by play Grant are 2 different people and everyone has to remember that. I cannot stand Radio Grant. I love play by play Grant.

I actually would like to see Koze next to Grant.

Last edited:
Folsom Al said:
LOL ..... I can't help but crack-up when that one with THE STONER (well, that's what he reminds me of) watching the game and gets smacked right in the face with that HD-BASKETBALL ...

"Compliments of The Maloof's" ...

Think the Maloof's are writing their own commercials (heh-heh) ???
when i first saw that commercial, i thought, is that steve nash.