[Game] Sacramento Kings @ Los Angeles Clippers, 12/12/2023, 7:30pm PST/10:30pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what's disappointing is that when the Kings play a team they previously loss to they normally come out very competitive, but that was last year.There have been so many times this season where they came out flat against such teams like the pelicans, rockets, and clippers.
We have to stay positive … 7 out of 9 loses this season are by the hands of 3 teams only :)

The good news is Keegan looked awesome and he maybe just maybe is figuring out how to score when the 3 point shot isn’t falling. I wonder if he has ever had 17 points with no made 3 pointers? My guess is no. That, friends is huge. His defense was fantastic. The only player that could make it difficult on the Clips.

the bad news is we are a one trick pony offensively, especially when Domas doesn’t have it going in the post. Brown has never called an audible when we are brickin it up. Change the offense at half!
Something about his shot just looks off this year. Maybe the thumb is still bothering him, but he's had a lot of rough shooting nights where he doesn't make anything. Including tonight, he's had games of: 0-5, 1-7, 2-7, 0-4, 2-7, 1-6, 1-8, and 0-7.

I know i've been really critical of him this year, but the shooting has been rough.

Something about his shot just looks off this year. Maybe the thumb is still bothering him, but he's had a lot of rough shooting nights where he doesn't make anything. Including tonight, he's had games of: 0-5, 1-7, 2-7, 0-4, 2-7, 1-6, 1-8, and 0-7.

I know i've been really critical of him this year, but the shooting has been rough.
he definitely hasn’t shot well from 3 but I think those shooting nights are more common than you think among shooters outside of a few guys like Curry. Having said that, what he did tonight was cut, leak out, get to the line and use the midrange. That’s the kind of adjustment I’ve been waiting for. You can live with a bad 3 point night if the player is efficient inside the arc. I feel the same way about the kings has a whole. If we are tired and front rimming shots, move in and take mid range or put pressure on the rim. These empty possessions on offense make it that much harder to play defense.

Well, not much to analyze. I’m seriously considering skipping the next Kings game that falls on the second night of a back to back. All three times they didn’t compete from the opening tip.

Since the Kings didn’t put together a game and nobody played especially well, you just give a shout-out to the guys that atleast looked like they came to play. That would be Keegan and Sabonis.

At the quarter point of the season, Huerter is officially not having nearly as good a season as he had last season. Averaging under 12 points. He averaged 15 last season. These type of games are piling up and unlike last season, he’s not putting together good offensive games when the three isn’t falling. Last season even when his three point fell off a cliff if he was still finding ways to score his 14-16. Not this season. His shooting and Keegan’s shooting woes are basically the reason for the drop from last seasons team in offensive consistency. Keegan has atleast become more impactful overall while we wait for his shot to return. Huerter not so much.

Barnes didn’t show up at all.

Bench was terrible.

Brown needs to move away from Javale. He should be used for certain matchups. He’s not an every game player at this point in his career.

Trey needs to be the backup 5 and Sasha the 4. Give Kessler a run…but Javale is mostly performing poorly now and it’s the deeper it gets in the season the less likely it’s going to get better.

It's probably indeed the change in role to being more of a defensive player. I really like Brown adding more mid range game for him lately. That's the thing that will get that production up to a nightly 18-20.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I can't argue with the numbers but this feels like a different team than last season with James Harden running point.

My impression with the Pelicans is that they keep beating us because Zion can literally only dunk on offense and yet we have no defender who can meet him at the rim and stop him. With the Clippers it's just a steady stream of pick and rolls springing their stars for iso baskets or kick outs to open shooters. We all know what the plays are yet we can't stop them. Which is probably what it feels like to play against these Kings when the threes are dropping. Mostly it just seems like we can't hit the broad side of a barn from outside tonight and yet we're determined to fire away anyway because that's just who we are.
Zion tore up the Wolves who have two 7 footers at the rim. That said, he's an out-of-shape immature phenom who is prone to both injury and inconsistency. Barring a lightning strike and a born-again type of experience that catalyzes him growing up and getting in shape I'm not concerned about him or New Orleans. He's a heart breaker who will be both a weight around their neck and a "if only" type of player for years to come.

It's probably indeed the change in role to being more of a defensive player. I really like Brown adding more mid range game for him lately. That's the thing that will get that production up to a nightly 18-20.
It's good to see Keegan try to expand more of his offensive game (SL Keegan). Next step for him is to combine all of the scoring opportunities and do it consistently with the defense. I don't see it coming together for him this year, but it'll be a bench mark for next year and beyond. Right now, I think we're really missing his 41.1% 3pt shooting because our other shooters can't hit anything either.

Well, not much to analyze. I’m seriously considering skipping the next Kings game that falls on the second night of a back to back. All three times they didn’t compete from the opening tip.

Since the Kings didn’t put together a game and nobody played especially well, you just give a shout-out to the guys that atleast looked like they came to play. That would be Keegan and Sabonis.

At the quarter point of the season, Huerter is officially not having nearly as good a season as he had last season. Averaging under 12 points. He averaged 15 last season. These type of games are piling up and unlike last season, he’s not putting together good offensive games when the three isn’t falling. Last season even when his three point fell off a cliff if he was still finding ways to score his 14-16. Not this season. His shooting and Keegan’s shooting woes are basically the reason for the drop from last seasons team in offensive consistency. Keegan has atleast become more impactful overall while we wait for his shot to return. Huerter not so much.

Barnes didn’t show up at all.

Bench was terrible.

Brown needs to move away from Javale. He should be used for certain matchups. He’s not an every game player at this point in his career.

Trey needs to be the backup 5 and Sasha the 4. Give Kessler a run…but Javale is mostly performing poorly now and it’s the deeper it gets in the season the less likely it’s going to get better.
I'm kind of done with Huerter. It looked like he took a defensive step this season only for it to last all about 10 games. Replacing him with Buddy probably makes us a better team....... same traffic cone defense with less effort, but a more lethal shooter.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't know how much of this is serious and how much is tongue in cheek, but is it fair to criticize the team for lacking pride and rolling over when things get difficult if you're then going write off all future back to backs as losses and skip them and/or turn the game off in the second quarter if the team is playing poorly?

just checked the schedule to see the next opponent on a back to back and it's the Wolves, make sure you skip this one Kings fans or at least have an alternative after halftime
i am in run for perosnal record - not to miss a signle game in the season , but this is a very good idea :)

Clippers are 10-3 over the last 13. They are currently the team all the analysts have been saying they could be. Let’s see if they hold up, the track record says no.

Clippers are 10-3 over the last 13. They are currently the team all the analysts have been saying they could be. Let’s see if they hold up, the track record says no.
If they stay healthy they MUST be one of the huge favorites this year ...
When you ''weakest'' player is sucj as Zubacc ....

No, just no. What Green does out there is not even basketball. We need more defensive heart we don't need a thug
Kings doesn't need a thug, but they definitely need someone who put fear on any opponent, ANY SUPERSTAR in the league and Draymond's presence alone will certainly do that. I wouldn't mind trading Barnes+Mitchell for Green. Warriors are in trouble and Green is probably getting suspend again. Time to shop for free agents while they're on sale for cheap. Green anyone? Klay? Kuminga? I wouldn't mind either of them.

As I said before, this Kings team does not play great individual defense and because of that...it puts a lot of pressure on team defense. Team help defense and communication can take a toll on the team. But if you have players that play great individual defense, then it help alleviate that gap. Keegan and Fox are the only ones that seem to play great D. Other players are just weak...Huerter, Barnes, Sabonis, Monk, Vezenkov....that's five heavily rotational players.

Why is Duarte not getting any minutes all of sudden? I thought this game against the Clippers is a perfect time for him to get minutes especially it's a back to back game where guys may be tired.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't know how much of this is serious and how much is tongue in cheek, but is it fair to criticize the team for lacking pride and rolling over when things get difficult if you're then going write off all future back to backs as losses and skip them and/or turn the game off in the second quarter if the team is playing poorly?
very fair to criticize. Brown wants physicality but this team isn't built for that. They are a small and fast team compared to the teams that have beaten up on them. Until they show capable of handling the rigors of back to backs, watching with a fall back plan is a wise move.

Kings doesn't need a thug, but they definitely need someone who put fear on any opponent, ANY SUPERSTAR in the league and Draymond's presence alone will certainly do that. I wouldn't mind trading Barnes+Mitchell for Green. Warriors are in trouble and Green is probably getting suspend again. Time to shop for free agents while they're on sale for cheap. Green anyone? Klay? Kuminga? I wouldn't mind either of them.

As I said before, this Kings team does not play great individual defense and because of that...it puts a lot of pressure on team defense. Team help defense and communication can take a toll on the team. But if you have players that play great individual defense, then it help alleviate that gap. Keegan and Fox are the only ones that seem to play great D. Other players are just weak...Huerter, Barnes, Sabonis, Monk, Vezenkov....that's five heavily rotational players.

Why is Duarte not getting any minutes all of sudden? I thought this game against the Clippers is a perfect time for him to get minutes especially it's a back to back game where guys may be tired.
No thanks to draymond, he's 33 years, doesn't fit the timeline of the Kings and his best days are over, also not to mention the baggage he comes with. One guy though that I wish monte did go after was Dillion Brooks and Kings could have had a realistic shot of signing him from last off season. He is doing wonders in Houston. What a big missed opportunity

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Kings doesn't need a thug, but they definitely need someone who put fear on any opponent, ANY SUPERSTAR in the league and Draymond's presence alone will certainly do that. I wouldn't mind trading Barnes+Mitchell for Green. Warriors are in trouble and Green is probably getting suspend again. Time to shop for free agents while they're on sale for cheap. Green anyone?
Never
ever
ever
ever
ever
ever
ever.

Dude has no business being in the league at this point. We are talking about three incredibly violent attacks on other players (chest stomp, choke hold, roundhouse shiver) in his last 26 games on the floor. The second - the INSTANT - that human piece of debris hypothetically were to become a player on my team, I would renounce my fandom at least until he were off the team. Out. Gone. See ya.

Never.

Well that wasn’t an enjoyable game to watch although Keegan is looking more the star.
Time to bring back that acknowledgement of how bad Huerter has been thread.

And the Draymond situation, out of control thug yeah but once again Kerr says he didn’t see the play. Well wtf is he doing on the side lines. No respect for Kerr.

We have to stay positive … 7 out of 9 loses this season are by the hands of 3 teams only :)
yep and the Clips, Pels and Houston all have the same model. A thick strong center who can’t be bullied and multiple long and athletic wings. It’s pretty clear we have a match-up problem

yep and the Clips, Pels and Houston all have the same model. A thick strong center who can’t be bullied and multiple long and athletic wings. It’s pretty clear we have a match-up problem
I hope that maximum one of the 3 will be in the real playoffs, so we have chances not to meet any of them :)

They are all likely to be there. I would worry about the Kings as much as any of those 3
well as Kings fans we must stay positive that we are going to be in the first 6….
If we accept this will happen I can’t see all 4 being in top 6… in best scenario Rockets won’t be in first 10 , pelicans will drop out at play in phase :)
Clippers … well we hope LA can beat them and we La :)

We weren’t shooting well but after the 1st quarter it still seemed winnable.

Then it felt like the 2nd unit took us out of the game in the 2nd quarter and we responded by trying to catch up with 3s that weren’t falling.

I can’t wait for Len to get back. Maybe I overvalue him but I think he is so good and really would help in games like this.

There have been some hints in the posts for this game that Coach Brown may have some responsibility for these type of losses.

Yes, he was COY last year but seems to be stuck in "last year". Maybe some of his techniques and decisions are based on what was rather than what is. He puts the same lineup on the court every game and sticks to it through thick and thin.

With the "thin" he persists with the same group of players. Adapting to the reality and needs of the game doesn't seem to influence his decisions. As evidence, look at the kudos he gave Fernandez and Christie for their logical suggestions a few games ago.

His perception and needs of the game may just be becoming a bit stale. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. When a shift is needed, he needs to act. The players can see that. Adaptation often refreshes enthusiasm and attention. Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole just causes frustration and negativity.

Now, Coach Brown doesn't shoot 3's or play defense. That is on the players. But there needs to be a bit more flexibility and creativity when needed to generate a chance to win.

We weren’t shooting well but after the 1st quarter it still seemed winnable.

Then it felt like the 2nd unit took us out of the game in the 2nd quarter and we responded by trying to catch up with 3s that weren’t falling.

I can’t wait for Len to get back. Maybe I overvalue him but I think he is so good and really would help in games like this.
Len is similar to Keon Ellis, in the aspect that he almost always makes the right play. Rarely will he hurt the team.

Maybe they can package McGee in a trade deal

Status
Not open for further replies.