Rudy Gay to Sacramento!!!

One little nugget in the Yahoo piece, Kings want to use Gay at the 4.

Thomas - McLemore - Williams - Gay - Cousins is very jumpy if that is what we see.

I'm inclined to hate it because Gay is undersized, but with Williams being oversized .. it might work. We haven't seen a lot of Gay at the 4. Keeping him inside COULD be good for him.

So much for our new FO being big on analytics.

Anyway this has the potential to be a huge win for us if Gay has an Ellis-like turnaround and doesn't end up fighting for shots with IT and Cuz.

Wow. I don't know how to feel about this trade, but we unloaded a lot of bad contracts for a good player. I hope we remain "bad" and get a high pick, because then this team will be terrifying next year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One little nugget in the Yahoo piece, Kings want to use Gay at the 4.

Thomas - McLemore - Williams - Gay - Cousins is very jumpy if that is what we see.

I'm inclined to hate it because Gay is undersized, but with Williams being oversized .. it might work. We haven't seen a lot of Gay at the 4. Keeping him inside COULD be good for him.
Ohhhhhhh. I kinda like that. Of course, coming off the bench we'll have ... erm ... Jimmer and RayMac?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Wow. I don't know how to feel about this trade, but we unloaded a lot of bad contracts for a good player. I hope we remain "bad" and get a high pick, because then this team will be terrifying next year.
We just got the guy who replaces a top draft pick and still have the draft pick for someone later in the round and there are a couple big guys later in the draft. Gotta shift gears, my man/girl/woman/whatever you are. :)

K

KingMilz

Based on a zillion different tweets from a zillion different NBA guys, it sounds like both Williams and Gay will start. One of them at PF depending on the other team.
Williams will be the PF imo he's stronger and built for it more than Gay and we can literally switch so much on defense with these line ups.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Dude, this isn't a random trade thread. It's a rumor about Rudy Gay. I'd like to see what others think about HIM.

I'm very curious as to what the Kings would offer.
Good defender and decent rebounder for a the SF positon. He's not having a very good overall shooting year, although he's not shooting that badly from the three. He makes a lot of money. He's due 17.8 mil this year, and is due to make over 19 mil next season. He has an ETO clause for next season, but ETO's are player options, and I'd be shocked if he opted out. So if it comes to pass, we probably have him for the rest of this season and all of next season.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Just a couple of numbers here. The total contract value coming to us is $40.7M (Gay 2 years, Gray 1 year, Acy unguaranteed next year). The total contract value going out is $25.5M (considering Salmons WILL get bought out). That means we're eating about $15M total, about $12.5M of that is next year.

A quick scan makes it look like our guaranteed salary will be a bit over $70M NEXT year for nine players (IT/Ben/DWill/Gay/Cuz/RayMc/Thornton/Outlaw/JT)

I was a Rudy Gay fan when he was in Memphis, but "advanced stats" hate him and I really didn't want him this year. So not a lot of positive energy over this trade, but it does shake things up. I imagine the FO figured their capspace is useless for attracting free agents, so they're going to use it on Gay's bad contract for a year or two to see how it plays out.

This will result in a rather interesting staring five, but as I mentioned in some other thread, the team is being built to run and Cousins is not built to run.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Good defender and decent rebounder for a the SF positon. He's not having a very good overall shooting year, although he's not shooting that badly from the three. He makes a lot of money. He's due 17.8 mil this year, and is due to make over 19 mil next season. He has an ETO clause for next season, but ETO's are player options, and I'd be shocked if he opted out. So if it comes to pass, we probably have him for the rest of this season and all of next season.
If he does well, can't we offer him an extension and thereby negate the ETO?

couple question:

Who starts now? does JT go to the bench? or does D-Will go to the bench?
who comes off the bench at PG, Ray Mac or Jimmer?

and, with a starting lineup including Isaiah Thomas and Rudy Gay on the floor, will DeMarcus Cousins ever get the ball again?

New depth Chart:

PG: IT/McCallum or Jimmer
SG: Benny Mac/Thornton/Jimmer
SF: Rudy Gay/Trout
PF: Derrick Williams/Thompson/Landry/Acy
C: Cousins/Thompson/Aaron Gray

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
couple question:

Who starts now? does JT go to the bench? or does D-Will go to the bench?
who comes off the bench at PG, Ray Mac or Jimmer?

and, with a starting lineup including Isaiah Thomas and Rudy Gay on the floor, will DeMarcus Cousins ever get the ball again?
I'm gonna have faith in Malone on this one. It might actually make it a bit easier on Cousins in the paint, since both IT and Gay will demand coverage on the perimeter.