"Really Aggressive Defense"

Do you guys think it will take a little while to get the defense solidified? I remember under Malone it took about a year to start seeing results. On the other hand this team is more experienced so it might not take as long.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Do you guys think it will take a little while to get the defense solidified? I remember under Malone it took about a year to start seeing results. On the other hand this team is more experienced so it might not take as long.
Won't happen overnight, but yes, more experienced team, more experienced coach, and MUCH more settled environment. People forget just how completely chaotic that first year of the new regime was. We passed 24 players through town, had something like 17 different starters, completed 3 major trades during the season, all for a rookie coach.

This year the rookies we have are mostly for decoration. Lot of established vets, established coach with connections to a number of those vets (Barnes, Koufos, Gay), and Vlade has shown he can hold the line rosterwise.

Won't happen overnight, but yes, more experienced team, more experienced coach, and MUCH more settled environment. People forget just how completely chaotic that first year of the new regime was. We passed 24 players through town, had something like 17 different starters, completed 3 major trades during the season, all for a rookie coach.

This year the rookies we have are mostly for decoration. Lot of established vets, established coach with connections to a number of those vets (Barnes, Koufos, Gay), and Vlade has shown he can hold the line rosterwise.
Totally forgot about that. That's right, we started Vasquez that year and had the Rudy Gay trade. I think we traded for D-will that year too early in the season

This isn't a rookie coach. This is an experienced head coach coming over from one of the premiere defensive teams in the league year in and year out. Its a bit like expecting Thibodeau to fail to make the Wolves a defensive team. Of course he will. Strongly offensive or defensive minded head coaches have a huge effect on playstyle. There are a lot of coaches out in the mushy middle, but Joerger is not one of them, and Vlade has been piling on guys with good defensive reps to give him some weapons. Too early to expect league leading defense, but almost inconceivable it doesn't take a significant bump.
Yes, I have no doubt that Joerger will do a better job than Smart. But that belief that the defense will improve is based on his track record, not just him and players talking about defense during training camp. In other words I don't get excited when I hear player X say we're playing aggressive defense, or when coach Y says that either. It's about the product. Talk is cheap.

Yes, I have no doubt that Joerger will do a better job than Smart. But that belief that the defense will improve is based on his track record, not just him and players talking about defense during training camp. In other words I don't get excited when I hear player X say we're playing aggressive defense, or when coach Y says that either. It's about the product. Talk is cheap.
Well I am excited because Coach Joerger is a known quantity. As is Elston Turner. The veteran players brought in are better defenders than the outgoing players. WCS is a year stronger. Boogie is coming off the Gold Medal winning Olympic performance. Overall all the indicators look like we will see an improved defense on the Kings.

So when I see these things I understand it is not just talk.

Lots to learn in the new defense but this team will surprise some people with how good we are defensively. Maybe not immediately but it won't take them to long if Cousins stays bought in