"Really Aggressive Defense"

aggressive and defense are two words I can't believe I'm hearing in terms of Sacramento basketball, I'll believe it when I see it.
Lack of defense isn't something inherent in Sacramento. It's not like it's part of the city or something. Our defense was fantastic under Adelman. Bad defense is number ONE: a reflection of the coach, and number TWO: due to lack of defensive talent. We've had not only the worst coaches in the league (except for Malone who was fired for coaching defense) since Adelman, but the worst DEFENSIVE coaches. A sea change is now possible because of Vlade and a completely cleaned out and replaced front office. Apparently Vivek is getting desperate and has eaten enough crow to have ceded power to an actual basketball professional. Lo and behold, we have a slew of scrappy vets, a second year shot blocker... and a head hunted defensive coach.

Casspi is perhaps our most loyal, honest, and gritty player, and now a seasoned vet. Those words coming from say, Isaiah Cousins wouldn't mean so much. Coming from Casspi... let's just say I'm getting a little verklempt over here.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Lack of defense isn't something inherent in Sacramento. It's not like it's part of the city or something. Our defense was fantastic under Adelman. Bad defense is number ONE: a reflection of the coach, and number TWO: due to lack of defensive talent. We've had not only the worst coaches in the league (except for Malone who was fired for coaching defense) since Adelman, but the worst DEFENSIVE coaches. A sea change is now possible because of Vlade and a completely cleaned out and replaced front office. Apparently Vivek is getting desperate and has eaten enough crow to have ceded power to an actual basketball professional. Lo and behold, we have a slew of scrappy vets, a second year shot blocker... and a head hunted defensive coach.

Casspi is perhaps our most loyal, honest, and gritty player, and now a seasoned vet. Those words coming from say, Isaiah Cousins wouldn't mean so much. Coming from Casspi... let's just say I'm getting a little verklempt over here.
You really think he is our most loyal?

Well, I hate to crap on the celebration, but I'm curious as to what this actually means. Just because a coach calls the defense "aggressive" doesn't mean that its automatically a good idea. Sometimes, depending on your personnel, a conservative defense is preferable.

It just depends on what "aggressive" means. In pick-and-roll coverage, I would think being aggressive means blitzes and traps. Sounds great until you realize that it means Boogie is getting drawn away from the hoop to double team perimeter players, which sounds like a great way to get him in foul trouble and screw up rotations once the ball is swung. Under Malone's defensive scheme, Cousins defended the pick-and-roll conservatively, dropping back against the pick-and-roll and relying on perimeter rotations to help the guard getting screened off. This helped keep Boogie closer to the basket where he's much more effective as opposed to running around rotating in space. Aggressive pick-and-roll coverage favors someone like Cauley-Stein who has the athleticism to guard in space and recover.

Aggressive could also mean jumping the passing lanes, which could generate steals but at the same time leave your back line hanging out to dry if they don't get the deflection.

I'm pretty sure Joerger knows what he's doing so I'm not going to get caught up in coachspeak. But an "aggressive" defense may not be such a great thing

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, I hate to crap on the celebration, but I'm curious as to what this actually means. Just because a coach calls the defense "aggressive" doesn't mean that its automatically a good idea. Sometimes, depending on your personnel, a conservative defense is preferable.

It just depends on what "aggressive" means. In pick-and-roll coverage, I would think being aggressive means blitzes and traps. Sounds great until you realize that it means Boogie is getting drawn away from the hoop to double team perimeter players, which sounds like a great way to get him in foul trouble and screw up rotations once the ball is swung. Under Malone's defensive scheme, Cousins defended the pick-and-roll conservatively, dropping back against the pick-and-roll and relying on perimeter rotations to help the guard getting screened off. This helped keep Boogie closer to the basket where he's much more effective as opposed to running around rotating in space. Aggressive pick-and-roll coverage favors someone like Cauley-Stein who has the athleticism to guard in space and recover.

Aggressive could also mean jumping the passing lanes, which could generate steals but at the same time leave your back line hanging out to dry if they don't get the deflection.

I'm pretty sure Joerger knows what he's doing so I'm not going to get caught up in coachspeak. But an "aggressive" defense may not be such a great thing
Your second last sentence was the most accurate. However, one could argue that aggressive defense is much better than no defense, which is what we had last season. We were last in the league in defense last season. If we can get our point differential to zero, I'll be happy and we'll win 10 more games.

Your second last sentence was the most accurate. However, one could argue that aggressive defense is much better than no defense, which is what we had last season. We were last in the league in defense last season. If we can get our point differential to zero, I'll be happy and we'll win 10 more games.
George Karl's brain-dead defensive scheme is a pathetically low standard to clear. I have much higher expectations of an NBA-level coach like Dave Joerger.

Well Casspi was the one to call the Defense "Aggressive":) And he went on to say, "Obviously we protect the basket first and the ball,” So I think there is little to fret about. Coach Joerger did not win all those games in the minor leagues having his guys play patty cake:)

Last edited:
With all the depth I think a little foul trouble would be OK. As long as Boogie can play 30+ minutes and be available at crunch time to finish the games.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I do, well, he and Cuz together.

Casspi is not only loyal to the team, he's loyal (and partial) to our community. One of my oldest friends in Sac has become friends with him, and can't speak highly enough of the man.
From what I remember, Tyreke was very loyal to the Kings. We saw how that story was written.

good lord is it nice to hear that the kings will be locked into much more conservative defensive schemes under joerger. i had many reservations about george karl's brief tenure in sacramento, but his game plan on defense drove me the craziest of them all. of course, the irony is that the personnel that the kings have acquired since karl was fired could probably execute an aggressive, hyperactive switching defense much more effectively than last year's team.

There is a difference between lip service and reality, between plan and execution. Guys like Rudy and Ben need to fight through screens instead of getting hung up out to dry and taken out of play. Guys like Koufos and Boogie need to show on the PG or SG then rotate back instead of offering token resistance. Phrases like "really aggressive defense" sound great, but I cannot get too excited until I see cohesive and consistent effort with tangible effect.

There is a difference between lip service and reality, between plan and execution. Guys like Rudy and Ben need to fight through screens instead of getting hung up out to dry and taken out of play. Guys like Koufos and Boogie need to show on the PG or SG then rotate back instead of offering token resistance. Phrases like "really aggressive defense" sound great, but I cannot get too excited until I see cohesive and consistent effort with tangible effect.
The last glimmer of hope this Kings Fan saw was when Malone had the Fellas playing good defense at the beginning of the 2015-16 season. Then that little spark of defensive hope was stamped out by the Gerbil and the Flattop. Prior to that it was when Adelman was Coach and Man that was a long dry spell:eek:

When I see some faint sparkle of hope on the court I will recognize it:)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
What is your point? Other than demonstrating your addiction to negative thinking...
Negative thinking? why do you have to go there? I'm an optimistic fan as any...Just because you don't like the way I see things doesn't mean I'm a negative poster. That's a bit too premature on your part, no?

Great, but he's not the first coach to be preaching defense. I'll believe it when I see it over the course of the season. Hey, remember that year under Keith Smart when we had James Johnson and came out in preseason playing really swarming aggressive defense and we were all amazed?

Great, but he's not the first coach to be preaching defense. I'll believe it when I see it over the course of the season. Hey, remember that year under Keith Smart when we had James Johnson and came out in preseason playing really swarming aggressive defense and we were all amazed?
No. No I dont remember that. And yes, I was watching.

Noooooo...... I don't remember that, you kidding? :)

Noooooo...... I don't remember that, you kidding? :)
Well my memory's not all that great so forgive mixing some things up. Don't remember exactly but ...

On defensive accountability: http://cowbellkingdom.com/sacramento-kings-keith-smart-defense-report-card/
A game we played great D (early in the season): http://www.kingsfans.com/threads/grades-v-pacers-11-3-2012.48243/

My memory is hazy at best, but I remember James Johnson exclusively being a waste of space for us, then being surprised later every time we saw him even have a mediocre game playing against us. :p
In season, yes. But I was talking about preseason (and as it is we are pre-preseason right now). Going into the season many were relieved to finally have a solution at SF.
http://www.kingsfans.com/threads/preseason-grades-v-blazers-10-15-12.48058/
http://www.kingsfans.com/threads/preseason-grades-v-suns-10-10-12.48043/
http://www.kingsfans.com/threads/kings-vs-blazers-pre-season-game-2.48055/

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This isn't a rookie coach. This is an experienced head coach coming over from one of the premiere defensive teams in the league year in and year out. Its a bit like expecting Thibodeau to fail to make the Wolves a defensive team. Of course he will. Strongly offensive or defensive minded head coaches have a huge effect on playstyle. There are a lot of coaches out in the mushy middle, but Joerger is not one of them, and Vlade has been piling on guys with good defensive reps to give him some weapons. Too early to expect league leading defense, but almost inconceivable it doesn't take a significant bump.