Our Team and Defense/Effort/ BB IQ

All your need now is a couple of mirrors...
I was trying to let people get into my head and see the world through my eyes!

Seemed like a good idea back when I made that post, but Mods hit me with an infraction for it :(

I took it for the team! If this isn't picking up the check for the whole table, I dunno what is! :)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Err ... Not to put down DMC but IMO Shaq was on a entirely different level athletically.
Shaq was a freak of nature when he came into the league. 7'1", 300 pounds and a 38" vertical. However, it wasn't too long before that 300 pounds was 380 pounds and the vertical was probably closer to 30 inches. But even then, he was still more athletic and dominate than just about every other center in the league.

All of this however has nothing to do with whether Cousins can play on a running type team. Once in a little better shape, I think he will be fine. I don't necessarily think that its using Cousins skills to best of his ability. I see him as a very good half court center in the future, and that is his strength. I will admit to not being a fan of small ball. Its never won anything once the playoffs start. Its sort of like Shock and Awe. Its spectacular and gets you some quick and easy victorys, but once over, you have to send in the troops to win the whole thing. If you don't have them, you lose!

The way the Kings have been sucking lately, It has made me a glass half empty kinda person when it comes to this team. I don't see many positives about our current squad, but the biggest positive to me is Cousins. This guy is a hard worker and has LOTS of dimensions to his game. Possible attitude issues aside - this man learns the game so fast.. Every once in a while I'll see him do something that he hasn't done before and he impresses me a lot. Big Cuzz has the talent and the drive to be not just an all-star in this league, but possibly a superstar. I don't know which direction our FO will head in the near future, but whatever the case, we should consider him our future and build the team around him. I believe that if they surround him with the right role players, he will take us deep in the playoffs within a couple seasons.

Cousins has superstar written all over him..If he can handle his emotions and strive to improve his game, there won't be no stopping him

Shaq was a freak of nature when he came into the league. 7'1", 300 pounds and a 38" vertical. However, it wasn't too long before that 300 pounds was 380 pounds and the vertical was probably closer to 30 inches. But even then, he was still more athletic and dominate than just about every other center in the league.

All of this however has nothing to do with whether Cousins can play on a running type team. Once in a little better shape, I think he will be fine. I don't necessarily think that its using Cousins skills to best of his ability. I see him as a very good half court center in the future, and that is his strength. I will admit to not being a fan of small ball. Its never won anything once the playoffs start. Its sort of like Shock and Awe. Its spectacular and gets you some quick and easy victorys, but once over, you have to send in the troops to win the whole thing. If you don't have them, you lose!
DMC has to be a top 5 center in the half court. He's just too good. But i dont think we're playing to his strengths right now. Maybe once Cousins can show how good he can be to Smart, they'll run the offense through him a bit more, and gameplan for our other guys to help him out.

I dont know if he's ever going to be a monster in the open court, but he can make great outlet passes, which correlates to his BBIQ. Besides, we don't need, and certainly dont want, to limit his abilities by making our team a running team.

That's where Reke comes in. He's virtually unstoppable in the open court. But he has to learn to make better decisions. Pull back when he has nothing going for him and don't force a tough shot. That's an entire possession wasted if he goes 1 on 3 and turns it over.

Pull back, and let Cousins go to work would be my preference :)

DMC has to be a top 5 center in the half court. He's just too good. But i dont think we're playing to his strengths right now. Maybe once Cousins can show how good he can be to Smart, they'll run the offense through him a bit more, and gameplan for our other guys to help him out.

I dont know if he's ever going to be a monster in the open court, but he can make great outlet passes, which correlates to his BBIQ. Besides, we don't need, and certainly dont want, to limit his abilities by making our team a running team.

That's where Reke comes in. He's virtually unstoppable in the open court. But he has to learn to make better decisions. Pull back when he has nothing going for him and don't force a tough shot. That's an entire possession wasted if he goes 1 on 3 and turns it over.

Pull back, and let Cousins go to work would be my preference :)
All of which requires patience, which comes from experience. Tyreke has improved from game to game in his willingness to share the ball on the break. His decisionmaking there has really impressed me. Next step, stop taking lazy 15-foot contested jumpers with 12 left on the shot clock.