Otag will be big + in the middle

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
There have been many opinions about Ostertag and most only based on what we saw twice a year in Sactown. On one of those last year he single handedly destroyed the Kings. Granted a rare occasion but he did perform. At 7'2" he is a good shot blocker and he can move some. If he can just keep the other teams from easy drives to the bucket I'm happy. :D

Earlier this summer David Aldridge of ESPN was right on about Otag:
"..........But the Maloof Brothers are adamant about not being a tax payer, so Vlade had to go. Ostertag has never been as bad as people say. As a player, he was overpaid. But he is what he is. And as a backup for Brad Miller, he'll be fine."

I agree. Compared to what else was out there we did great. So lets wait and see. ;)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I agree, CD. I think many non Jazz fans loved to make fun of OTag. However, he may be just the help that we need. If the Sac fans give him a chance, I think they will be pleasantly surprised....(and that includes me).

Actually, Jazz fans like to make fun of him too:) He's pretty much a whipping boy. That being said, I think he is going to be a perfect fit here, off the bench.

I think Ostertag will be a great addition off of the bench. Jazz fans used to give him a hard time and talk about his inconsistancy, but that was when he was a starter. Hopefully coming off the bench will work for him (and the Kings) nicely.

tag is going to help us improve our interior defense which is currently slim to none. having help in the middle can help the perimeter defenders do their job so we should have a better defense *team* when tag is playing.

CruzDude said:
Earlier this summer David Aldridge of ESPN was right on about Otag:
"..........But the Maloof Brothers are adamant about not being a tax payer, so Vlade had to go. Ostertag has never been as bad as people say. As a player, he was overpaid. But he is what he is. And as a backup for Brad Miller, he'll be fine."
I want to ask a stupid question........because i was on vacation and didn't notice this.........is he still overpaid? I mean.........how much did we sign him?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Double-K said:
I want to ask a stupid question........because i was on vacation and didn't notice this.........is he still overpaid? I mean.........how much did we sign him?
Well, the jury is still out on that because the Kings don't usually reveal terms of a contract. I will tell you what the 2 sides believe. It is supposed to be around $4million.

Now, the fans who are upset that the Kings only offered Vlade $2.5 million (and want to be mad at the Maloofs that Vlade left for the Lakers) believe that OTag is getting approx $4 million per year...2 yr contract.

NME uses a source that says OTag is getting $4 million for 2 years (meaning about $2 million per year...2 yr contract).

Because NME has an impeccable reputation here about his knowledge of contracts (we call him the Contract Killer) I personally believe OTag is getting a TOTAL of approx $4 million over his 2 yr contract. You choose what you want to believe.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Kingsgurl said:
Actually, Jazz fans like to make fun of him too:) He's pretty much a whipping boy. That being said, I think he is going to be a perfect fit here, off the bench.
Kingsgurl, I read your ost and suddenly Petrie's masterplan became clear to me. You are absoultly right that no player in the NBA has had as much experience at being the wipping boy than our good pal Otag. This guy has endured the verbal abuse of the nastiest, most foulmouthed coach in the NBA (Jerry Sloan) and never even came clsoe to going Spreewell! But that's not all. Every local and national sports writerand cometater had taken shots at Otag, frequently blaming him for everything from loosing a single game to rueinging Malone and Stocktons careers. Fans across the country including ones in SLC bag on the fat boy and blame him as well. Even his teamates called him out on a regular basies (Ok I doubt Stockton ever called anyone ou) Malone practicaly had an anual "Criticize Otag" press confrence. With all this experience the big guy is perfect for one very important mission... TAKE THE BLAME OFF WEBBER" With Otag on the team now Webber might be allowed to "just paly ball" and concentrate on his game rather than having to deal with the accusations and criticims of the media. As Voisin, Krieder, Barkely, Tolbert and Walton slam Ostertag, Webber might be free from his long held responsablity to take the heat. If ther is any player in the NBA capible of geting the press off of Webber's back it is Otag. Heck even the players can get in on this one. When Pedja pulls his disapearing act in the playoffs... blame Otag for not being Vlade. When Bibby misses a last second shot, blame Otag for not setting a good screen. When Miller goes to the hoop slow with a sad litle lay up that either misses or is blocked, blame Otag for not being able to take enough min. When Webber gets injured blame Otag for... well you get the picture. The man has found a new home. Lets just hope that either Adelman can be nasty enough or that battered wifes syndrome has not set in deeply enough, for Tag to be happy wiht his role with the Kings.

To tell you the truth I think Ostertag is better than Vlade. Kings weaknesses are defense and rebounding. Ostertag can just do that. He can block and he can rebound. Hes going to be a good addition to the team.

6th said:
NME uses a source that says OTag is getting $4 million for 2 years (meaning about $2 million per year...2 yr contract).

Because NME has an impeccable reputation here about his knowledge of contracts (we call him the Contract Killer) I personally believe OTag is getting a TOTAL of approx $4 million over his 2 yr contract. You choose what you want to believe.
I of course have no direct knowledge one way or the other. ;) That's just what the source that I've found to be most trustworthy says.

HndsmCelt said:
This guy has endured the verbal abuse of the nastiest, most foulmouthed coach in the NBA (Jerry Sloan) and never even came clsoe to going Spreewell! But that's not all.
Nah, he just throws Herman Munster tantrums.

Brad Miller's assist totals jumped up from his career 1.56 apg, way up to 4.3 apg playing in his first year in Adelman's offense...

Vlade Divac's assist totals jumped up from his career average of 2.68 apt, improving to 4.3 apg in his first year with the Kings...

Greg Ostertag only averaged 1.3 apg last year, and has averaged 0.5 apg over his career, but considering the past track record of the Kings in bringing out the passing abilities of big men, might we see a similar jump in Big Greg Ostertag's assist totals this year?

Maybe Sloan never gave Tag a chance to shine in that old Utah offense, whereas the Adelman motion-offense system might put Greg in a position to really show what a playmaker he can be when given the chance. In that case, not only will Greg bring his old dominant shot-blocking and rebounding efforts to bear in support of y'alls cause, but he might just surprise you with his playmaking skills...

I for one, will be quite excited to see just how well Ostertag will do if Adelman puts the ball in his hands up in the high post, letting him look to pass, shoot, or drive as a consistent contributer to y'alls offense. If this happens, I can't help but imagine that the Big Tag will reach impressive new career highs in assists, while serving as an importantly productive engine of y'alls half-court attack...

I guess they can try it, but that's not why he was brought in. I think it's more accurate to look at him as a bigger Scott Pollard. The things Pollard was asked to do is probably what Tag will be asked to do.

Yeah, and we were just fine w/ Vlade and Pollard. Of course we made it to the WCF, and almost the Championship. Brad and Ostertag are basically a flat-out upgrade of that duo or basically even.

Packt said:
I guess they can try it, but that's not why he was brought in. I think it's more accurate to look at him as a bigger Scott Pollard. The things Pollard was asked to do is probably what Tag will be asked to do.
That means setting screens, boxing out, grabbing rebounds on both ends of the floor,and occasionally going to the floor right? I'm good with that.

Evilmav2 said:
Maybe Sloan never gave Tag a chance to shine in that old Utah offense, whereas the Adelman motion-offense system might put Greg in a position to really show what a playmaker he can be when given the chance. In that case, not only will Greg bring his old dominant shot-blocking and rebounding efforts to bear in support of y'alls cause, but he might just surprise you with his playmaking skills...

I for one, will be quite excited to see just how well Ostertag will do if Adelman puts the ball in his hands up in the high post, letting him look to pass, shoot, or drive as a consistent contributer to y'alls offense. If this happens, I can't help but imagine that the Big Tag will reach impressive new career highs in assists, while serving as an importantly productive engine of y'alls half-court attack...

I absolutely, seriously, positively don't want to see the Great Oyster-tag using his "outstanding" passing skills...........consider his "superb" ball controling skill we saw through out his career.............

I would be SO GLAD if he can grab 10+ rebounds and a couple of pts per game.........

Evilmav2 said:
Greg Ostertag only averaged 1.3 apg last year, and has averaged 0.5 apg over his career, but considering the past track record of the Kings in bringing out the passing abilities of big men, might we see a similar jump in Big Greg Ostertag's assist totals this year?
If it rises to 4.3, things will be really creepy. In the Kings offense, that total HAS to rise. I'd be willing to bet he gets 3+. Can't wait to (sparingly) see him play.

I really think y'all might be underestimating the potential impact of Big Tag on your offense next year. Just because Jerry Sloan hasn't utilized the offensive and passing skills of Greg Ostertag in the high post, doesn't mean y'alls new pivot doesn't possess them.

Before Brad Miller played in an Adelman motion offense, I can't imagine that any of y'all would have predicted that the man would have been able to post 4.3 apg that he produced in his all-star 03-04 season, and I suspect that same Adelman offense might reveal the strong passing, locker-room leadership abilities, and offensive decision-making skills that Big Greg Ostertag has never been allowed to display before...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I for one am looking forward to what Tag will bring to the Kings. Although I am old and resistent to change ;) this coming year is going to be a transitional year for the Kings. With the mix of veterans, seasoned players new to the Kings and new rookies that will actually see some playing time, we just might be watching the pieces to the puzzle finally put down in the right places.

GO KINGS!!!

Tag passing? HA that will be the day!

Not that its bad, but I would be suprised to see Tag make nifty passes. I hope he can pass well, and smartly, but lets just hope he doesn't try to go behind the back too often. :eek:

This will be the year the Kings win the whole enchalada, the whole kilbasa. This will be the mysterious "blind date" that actually turns out great. (not that I would know) This will be the year that the Sacramento Kings send three players to the NBA Allstar game. Ostertag will achieve basketball greatness.

Well, do you think he can match this sort of production??
Game 2, loss, Vlade, 26 minutes, 4 points. He DID have 6 assists and no turnovers, which was a turn around for the latter part of the season. Of the Kings that played, he DID outscore Peeler, no one else.
Game 7, 21 minutes, 7 points, 0 assists, 1 turnover. 6 boards
Against Dalles, Game 1, he did score 12 points, unfortunately, he has 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 turnovers
Game 2, 20 minutes, 4 points, 0 assists and 3 turnovers
Game 3, 18 minutes, 4 points, 1 assist, 5 boards, 1 turnover. The Kings score more then 100 points, and LOSE.
Game 4, 11 minutes, 4 points (sensing a pattern here?) 0 assists, 6 boards, 1 turn.
Game 5, 4 minutes, 2 points, 1 board, 0 turns, 0 assists.

I'm thinking he probably can.

Evilmav2 said:
I really think y'all might be underestimating the potential impact of Big Tag on your offense next year. Just because Jerry Sloan hasn't utilized the offensive and passing skills of Greg Ostertag in the high post, doesn't mean y'alls new pivot doesn't possess them.

Before Brad Miller played in an Adelman motion offense, I can't imagine that any of y'all would have predicted that the man would have been able to post 4.3 apg that he produced in his all-star 03-04 season, and I suspect that same Adelman offense might reveal the strong passing, locker-room leadership abilities, and offensive decision-making skills that Big Greg Ostertag has never been allowed to display before...
I was aware of Brad Miller's ability to pass fromt he high post. He never really used it the way he was able to last season, but I knew he had it. I didn't predict 4+ assists, either, but I wasn't surprised.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for Ostertag to show the touch that Miller showed from the high post; he can forget about reaching Vlade status. I think his assist numbers will go up, though. They have to, I think, if for no other reason than by virtue of the offense we run.

Regardless of all that, I just want to see Ostertag block some shots, grab some rebounds, hustle and play hard. That's all we need out of him. We don't need Vlade, Jr.

Superman said:
I was aware of Brad Miller's ability to pass fromt he high post. He never really used it the way he was able to last season, but I knew he had it. I didn't predict 4+ assists, either, but I wasn't surprised.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for Ostertag to show the touch that Miller showed from the high post; he can forget about reaching Vlade status. I think his assist numbers will go up, though. They have to, I think, if for no other reason than by virtue of the offense we run.

Regardless of all that, I just want to see Ostertag block some shots, grab some rebounds, hustle and play hard. That's all we need out of him. We don't need Vlade, Jr.
Precisely. I don't see Tag as being the big left out there to run the offense. He is far more effective down low. That's where we need him most, and where I hope he will stay. Wonder what Darius' assist numbers will look like?