Official 24 thread for 2006...

One thing that bugs me. They can download/upload everything to Jack's PDA wherever he is. HE even gets perfect cellphone reception up in the air (while my signal breaks up in my house). How com they can't make a duplicate of the recording first??? Or even just have listen to the tape so they know Jack isn't making it up.

It seems like writers are making some of this stuff on the fly...Still exciting and fun to watch though :)

vj9999 said:
One thing that bugs me. They can download/upload everything to Jack's PDA wherever he is. HE even gets perfect cellphone reception up in the air (while my signal breaks up in my house). How com they can't make a duplicate of the recording first??? Or even just have listen to the tape so they know Jack isn't making it up.

It seems like writers are making some of this stuff on the fly...Still exciting and fun to watch though :)
I think there's a website out there that deals with the laws of the Jack Bauer universe, especially about cell phones which get perfect reception anywhere on or above the planet, and with batteries that never need recharging in that 24 hour period despite constant use.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PixelPusher said:
I think there's a website out there that deals with the laws of the Jack Bauer universe, especially about cell phones which get perfect reception anywhere on or above the planet, and with batteries that never need recharging in that 24 hour period despite constant use.
Why yes... yes there is. And it's called, oddly enough, The "24 Rules of the '24' Universe"...

http://www.robservatory.com/archives/2006/01/19/the-24-rules-of-the-24-universe/

The 24 Rules of the ‘24’ Universe:
1. Given the chance to kill Jack Bauer, an evil-doer will not do so.
2. Given the chance to kill another major ‘good’ character, there’s a 50/50 chance an evil-doer will do so.
3. Given the chance to kill any other ‘good’ character, an evil-doer will do so.
4. When guarding an exit door, police officers will always stand looking out said door, instead of back at the hallway, making it easy for any evil-doer to slide up behind them and take them out.
5. When guarding an area, CTU and the police will leave one blatantly obvious exit path unguarded.
6. The CTU motor pool issues only large American-made SUVs, typically silver.
7. All evil-doers also drive large American-made SUVs, typically black.
8. Most any problem can be solved by opening a port.
9. If opening a port doesn’t solve the problem, then you must create a protocol.
10. Protocols must be followed, unless you’re Jack Bauer.
11. If you work for “Division,” you only care about protocols and covering your butt in case things go wrong.
12. CTU’s systems can increase image resolution while zooming in to see fine details.
13. CTU’s annual budget request for cubicle walls is always rejected, leading to the inability of anyone on the floor to do anything in secret.
14. All areas of CTU’s workspace are public and visible, except Tech1, where the most-important and often most sinister work occurs.
15. CTU can block all employees’ conversations and emails during times of crisis, but personal cell phone use is allowed without restriction.
16. CTU’s business jets are capable of travel at greater than the speed of sound. (Time the flight from Los Angeles to Visalia in season #2 for proof.)
17. CTU system passwords change seemingly randomly, causing employees to verbally give passwords to one another, thereby severely limiting effectiveness of said passwords.
18. Those on the ‘good’ side get Macs. Evil-doers get PCs.
19. Evil-doers will overlook at least one extremely obvious problem in their plans. As a generic example, Chief Bad Dude won’t remember to move his relatives to a safe location before implementing his extremely evil plan.
20. Cell phones will say “No Service” only at the most inopportune times.
21. Cell phone batteries never die, except at the most inopportune times.
22. Tracing a call will always take at least n+1 seconds, where n is the duration of the call.
23. If Kim Bauer is involved, her life will be endangered in some way.
24. You may think you know what’s going on. You’re wrong. You won’t know until at least hour 23, minute 45 or so.

VF21 said:
12. CTU’s systems can increase image resolution while zooming in to see fine details.
Ah, yes. I love those super-duper imaging programs they have at CTU and all the CSI labs that can get a crisp, clear 50x zoom off of a crappy convenience store camera. :rolleyes:

It would be like zooming into my 80x80 avatar and being able to read the brand name off the cigarette in Vlade's mouth. Sorry, not happening.

I thought Jack could've given Miles a couple of black eyes before letting him go on his merry way to the White House, but otherwise...great episode.

up next: 2 hours season finale.:D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm liking Mrs. Logan more and more. This is really shaping up to have one fantastic finish...

Thank goodness I didn't believe the "time adjustment" and turned in at the regular time. I would have been rather ... upset ... had I missed the first 20 minutes.

:D

VF21 said:
I'm liking Mrs. Logan more and more. This is really shaping up to have one fantastic finish...

Thank goodness I didn't believe the "time adjustment" and turned in at the regular time. I would have been rather ... upset ... had I missed the first 20 minutes.

Yeah, there will probably be a lot of unhappy Tivo viewers on the east coast.

vj9999 said:
My guide was upated on time an it was showing Prison Break starting at 7:20 and 24 starting at 8:20.
Cool.:D

...now if they could only stop cutting off the last couple of minute of sporting events that run longer than the alotted time...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
vj9999 said:
My guide was upated on time an it was showing Prison Break starting at 7:20 and 24 starting at 8:20.
What happened here was the exact reverse. The listings finally got changed to reflect the revised start time BUT the show started at the normal time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Did anyone see the teaser for the season finale during American Idol? Looks like President Logan is gonna have to deal with Jack Bauer up close ... and personal.

Don't laugh guys, but I'm currently watching the movie Hard To Hold with Rick Springfield ( which I haven't seen in a while) and guess who plays Rick's manager? I cracked up when I realized it was no other than our favorite, President Logan!! Just had to share it. Looks very different as a younger man 21 years ago! Almost didn't recognize him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's 24-DAY!!!

Here's what the Bee has to say about tonight's episode:

http://www.sacticket.com/tv_radio/story/14258802p-15073142c.html

Rick Kushman: Rush to the finish
Don't try to make sense of '24' - just go with the lunacy of the Fox hit's two-hour season finale
By Rick Kushman -- Bee TV Columnist

No thinking. That's the great thing about "24." No thinking allowed. It's all adrenaline rush. All energy and instinct. Total flight or fight -- and you know Jack Bauer isn't doing flight.

If you're gonna watch Fox's "24" -- and if you're not, why not? -- you need to turn off your brain. Not as in the watching-a-political-convention-and-my-head-hurts kind of turn-off. This is more like a theme-park ride. Sit back, throw your hands up and start shouting.

The hit "24" ends its latest, very long day for Jack (Kiefer Sutherland) and his fun-loving gang tonight with a two-hour finale (at 8 on Channel 40) -- technically 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. in Jackworld.

I could try to catch you up to speed, but it's not going to happen. Too much went on in the past 22 hours, I can't remember most of it, though I'm pretty sure it started with an assassination, then some terrorists hijacked an airport. Is it just me, or don't they usually wait till they get on the plane?

That's another theme-park quality here; "24" is so spectacularly disconnected from reality, you can't even try to make sense of it. I'm telling you, no thinking.

Once you get that down, there have been so many great moments this season. It's been a smorgasbord of comic-ironic-stylishly-cool moments. My current favorite was last week, when Jack choked the smirk off of Miles the Weasel. Then, current Counter Terrorist Unit leader Karen slapped him.

This was at roughly 4:10 a.m., but they couldn't touch Miles -- well, beyond slapping the sense out of him -- because he was getting transferred to the White House. At 4:10 a.m. After he finked to President Logan the Weasel at about 3:45 a.m. This is a very efficient administration. They must have a guy handling paper work 24/7.

But there is so much more. Here's some of the great stuff from "24" this year. Most of it's just from the last few hours, and this kind of thing has been going on all day:

• Jack stowed away on a diplomatic flight despite the tightest security ever at the airport and a citywide curfew, called the pilot from the cargo hold after knocking out an air marshal, then got patched through by Chloe, who was, basically, telecommuting with her laptop from a hotel bar. (You know, when I say that out loud, it does sound kinda far-fetched. Wait, NO THINKING.)

• Chloe (Mary Lynn Rajskub) -- and, seriously, how much do you love Chloe? -- scowling and rolling her eyes and snapping wise. Then she ran national security for a while from that hotel bar.

• Chloe tasering the drunk businessman -- twice -- while running national security and patching Jack through to the cockpit of a diplomatic flight.

• Jack getting the jetliner pilot to land on a freeway. I have nightmares just like that.

• Stand-up secret service agent Aaron (Glenn Morshower), after a beating and what sounded like a job offer, insulting President Logan by calling him Charles. "Will there be anything else, Charles?" So cool. Plus, Logan's name is Robert. Kidding. I kid.

• Does Jack have the best PDA in the world or what?

• Three different people have run CTU in one day. In my office, it takes weeks before we mutiny. And one changeover happened near midnight. There's that 24/7 paperwork guy again.

• One CTU boss, Lynn McGill (Sean Astin), got mugged. By his sister. Heck of a secret agent, that guy.

• At least six people, that I can remember, have been arrested or detained inside CTU in a day, and they all work there!

• Sentox nerve gas. And the canisters. So, so comic book.

• I think I saw a commercial on a fake TV for the movie "The Sentinel," a real film starring Michael Douglas, Eva Longoria and some guy named Kiefer Sutherland playing a Secret Service agent.

• Anytime someone uses the wacky tech talk. It always involves subchannels and matrixes or microprocessors and VPN side routes. There's got to be a whole writers' room at the studio just for making these things up.

• Anytime Jack says, "This doesn't make any sense." Dude, nothing makes sense. Just go with it.

Anytime someone says, "We've got Bauer cornered." Do these people not know who they're dealing with?
• Anytime someone says, "You do not know who you're dealing with."

• Kim (Elisha Cuthbert) has been in mercifully few episodes. Maybe that's why this is the best season ever.

• All the villains. Love that bunch. Evil, evil Bierko. Beresch, the first evil terrorist (who should know terrorist No. 1 never survives the whole day). Yellow-tie guy, terrorist No. 2 (see terrorist No. 1). Miles the Weasel. The hot computer-code chick. Former CTU boss Henderson (who looks at Jack with such disdain before he says, "You don't know who you're dealing with"). The guy with the Bluetooth who used to be Dr. Romano on "ER," and this is what happens to a man when you drop a helicopter on him.

President Logan the Weasel (Gregory Itzin). Any likeness to Richard Nixon is accidental. This man has been responsible for gassing a mall, assassinating an ex-president, letting his own wife and the Russian president get ambushed by terrorists, almost shooting down an airliner, and having Aaron beaten up. No wonder Mrs. Logan doesn't like him.

• Mrs. Logan (Jean Smart). She took a fistful of pills and drank a bottle of wine, and could still shoot the bad Secret Service agent. Maybe, before it's over, she'll get to slap Miles, too. Everyone else has.

Even with all that, you have to wonder about a few things. I'm not thinking here, I'm just asking a few questions, including:

Is there anyone who can't escape from CTU?

Don't they worry about giving themselves away when they park outside a bad guy's lair in giant black SUVs?

Is CTU headquarters eight minutes from everywhere in Southern California?

Where do you transfer a guy from CTU if CTU is the heart of America's counter-terrorist operation?

Is there anyone who can't break into CTU?

How did a Russian sub get to the Los Angeles harbor by 4 a.m.? Didn't they just sign the treaty at, like, noon? Can the sub fly?

Why didn't Jack play The Evidence over the phone? Or, you know, tape it? Or send a dub to the local Fox affiliate? It was on a digital recorder. How hard could that be?

How could they kill Edgar (Louis Lombardi)? I'll say it again: Nooooooo.

Anyway. With two more hours left, you know there will be a bunch more insanely illogical things to love about this ride. Think of it as a vacation for your brain. And Fox promises there will be a showdown between Logan and Jack. I'm not predicting how it's going to end, but I'm hoping someone gets slapped.

About the writer: Rick Kushman's column appears Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in Scene. Reach him at (916) 321-1187 or rkushman@sacbee.com

This just bites!! I get a 1 hour dinner break at 10pm to watch a 2 hr show......even fast forwarding through the "previously on 24" stuff and the ads, at 11pm I'm gonna be about 20 minutes short!! grrrrrrr!! Then I have to wait until I get home at 6am to finish the show GRRRRRRR!!!:mad:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"Mr. Logan. I'm not going to torture you. But before I leave here, you are going to tell me what I want to know or, so help me God, I will kill you."

whoa...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh.... my.... Gawd.

The one loose string I kept worrying about.

What a fantastic end to season 5. And a great way to keep us in suspense for 7 months until season 6 starts!!!

TD24H - "The dreaded 24 hiatus" begins.

I can't believe we have to wait 8 months for more of Jack!!!!!!!!!! This was a great finale...If I were the First Lady, there wouldn't be enough listerine, disinfectant, deodorizer and sanitizer to make me feel clean again. I would need a labotomy to get through the rest of the day...How about that first lady by the way!! Yippeeee!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I actually said "EWWWW!" out loud. Talk about giving it all for your country.

So, do you think Morris and Chloe are going to be the stars next year, trying to rescue Jack? I really like Chloe and I think Morris might just grow on me.

Poor tubiscus. I feel very sorry for him having to wait until 6 a.m. to see this episode. At least it's well worth it!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's the TD24H theory Kingsgurl and I developed this morning:

Miles, seeing the end was inevitable, once again shifted sides and contacted the Chinese. This explains the phone call that got Jack to go inside where he could be grabbed. Because, other than something like that, how would the Chinese know where Jack was and how to isolate him? Miles, with his knowledge of CTU and National Security, could easily have obtained the necessary information.

We KNEW Jack should have killed Miles when he had the chance.

I hope we get to see Martha and Aaron next season. The look on her face as Logan walked by in handcuffs was PRICELESS.