[NBA Playoffs] Conference Finals open thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KingMilz

Man, the Hawks are pathetic.

And they show you two important things: Smallball sucks, and you need a bonafide star in the Playoffs

Oh and the regular season means nothing
There's a number of teams that don't play small ball and have a bonafide star that didn't even make the playofffs.........for the last 5 years......I personally think the Hawks peaked way to early in the season sort of like Indiana last year. They were never really that same team in terms of performance. Nothing pathetic about winning 60 games and making the ECF finals.

There's a number of teams that don't play small ball and have a bonafide star that didn't even make the playofffs.........for the last 5 years......I personally think the Hawks peaked way to early in the season sort of like Indiana last year. They were never really that same team in terms of performance. Nothing pathetic about winning 60 games and making the ECF finals.
Good post. "So pathetic" and "regular season means nothing" is kinda funny coming from fans of a perpetual bottom dwelling-team that has only won 60 games once and made the conference finals once. A year ago nobody would have even expected the Hawks to be a second round playoff team. Kudos to them, will be interesting to see their personnel changes (they clearly need some) and perhaps coach Bud learning that he can't rely on a read and react 3 point offense in the postseason.

their performance in the Playoffs was pathetic. Just because they beat up on a bunch of Eastern Conference garbage teams on their way to 60 wins means nothing.

And they wouldn't have made the ECF if John Wall hadn't gotten hurt

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
There are fourteen other teams in the eastern conference, that all got to 'beat up' on the same 'garbage' teams in the eastern conference, but they were the only team that won 55+ games.

their performance in the Playoffs was pathetic. Just because they beat up on a bunch of Eastern Conference garbage teams on their way to 60 wins means nothing.

And they wouldn't have made the ECF if John Wall hadn't gotten hurt
NBA history is littered with what ifs. SA would have advanced in the playoffs if they didn't get a first round matchup against the Clippers. Cleveland wouldn't be in ECF if lebron hadn't gone back. OKC would have made the playoffs if Durant wasn't injured. LA doesn't win if Horry doesn't make that shot, but I don't see any legitimate person shortchanging Shaq and Kobe of a ring.

Here's all the proof you need that the East is a CAKE WALK.

and two of those 50+ win teams were in the West (OKC and SA in theFinals)

so he's been to the Finals six times now, and only had to beat five 50+ win teams total to get there......

Here's all the proof you need that the East is a CAKE WALK.

and two of those 50+ win teams were in the West (OKC and SA in theFinals)

so he's been to the Finals six times now, and only had to beat five 50+ win teams total to get there......
Explains why when he meets real competition from the West he is 2-3. Really should be 1-4 (San Antonio should have beat them both times while he was on Miami - I still blame Pop for not leaving Timmy in the game, 1 rebound away). Lost to Spurs 2X, Dallas 1X, beat Spurs 1X, OKC 1X.

However, as easy as the East is, you still have to make it there, so props to him for making it 5X in a row.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I have nothing to gain from disabusing you of your belief that the eastern conference is a "cake walk," so have fun. But, the fact remains that, cake walk or not, he's still the only guy ever to have done what he's done, who didn't play with six other Hall of Famers. And it's not like he's the only guy to play his whole career in the eastern conference: Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh have played their whole careers in the eastern conference, they haven't been to the Finals five straight times. Neither has Paul Pierce. Rip Hamilton is a multiple-time All-Star, with a ring. He played his whole career in the eastern conference: how many years in a row did he get to the Finals? Al Horford been to the Finals lately? How about Joakim Noah? What about the Humble Mumbler? I see a lot of multiple-time All-Star-or-better caliber players who have played their whole careers in the east, and they still haven't done that.

The eastern conference might be weak, but to try and dismiss an accomplishment that's never been done before by any non-Celtic, because east, is asinine.

Man, Harden with 8 TOs and Josh Smith shooting bricks everywhere is killing Houston. Klay Thompson, as gifted as he is shooting the rock, takes some really dumb shots, along with some really dumb fouls.

K

KingMilz

Good post. "So pathetic" and "regular season means nothing" is kinda funny coming from fans of a perpetual bottom dwelling-team that has only won 60 games once and made the conference finals once. A year ago nobody would have even expected the Hawks to be a second round playoff team. Kudos to them, will be interesting to see their personnel changes (they clearly need some) and perhaps coach Bud learning that he can't rely on a read and react 3 point offense in the postseason.
If the Hawks are indeed ''pathetic"' than I hope the Kings can be as ''pathetic'' for the rest of their history. I think Atlanta's biggest problem was they peaked during that 20 something game win streak and had the exact same playoffs run Indiana (who almost played there best ball to soon) had last year where they. Struggled in the first round against a way inferior team (against the Hawks minus Al) than beat a more healthy Wizards team 4-2 and got stomped out by LeBron it's almost a mirrior image of two completely different styles.

Peaking in the playoffs is very key both Indy and Atl peaked way to soon into the season.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
If the Hawks are indeed ''pathetic"' than I hope the Kings can be as ''pathetic'' for the rest of their history. I think Atlanta's biggest problem was they peaked during that 20 something game win streak and had the exact same playoffs run Indiana (who almost played there best ball to soon) had last year where they. Struggled in the first round against a way inferior team (against the Hawks minus Al) than beat a more healthy Wizards team 4-2 and got stomped out by LeBron it's almost a mirrior image of two completely different styles.

Peaking in the playoffs is very key both Indy and Atl peaked way to soon into the season.
as long as LeBron is playing....the east goes through whatever team he is on. You can talk all about ATL and Indy peaking too soon but the truth of the matter is Indiana pushed Miami to 7 games and they just didn't have enough to get over the hump because of the team they were going up against. That's why as far as I'm concerned, I don't care to watch any Eastern playoff match ups that include going up against LeBron because we know the end result is all the same.

While what Lebron has done is impressive, the NBA should re-seed. Go with the top 16 teams period.

Yes with the unbalanced schedule that's not completely fair, but it's more fair than these garbage EC teams getting into the playoffs each year and it being a much easier road to the Finals. There were no Spurs or Clippers or Warriors or Memphis level teams he had to go through this year. Not even a Houston level team. Then there's OKC which will be back. NO which will grow. Hopefully us with the top center in the game.He had a tough Boston team earlier in his career, then Det on its last legs but there's generally like two good teams in the East, in a good year, while out West it's stacked.

Even years ago with us we had Shaq/Kobe to deal with, and KG, and Dirk, and Stockton/Malone, and we didn't even face Duncan and the Spurs or Nash and Pho. The West has been far better for too long. Right now it's a built in advantage for the EC looking at the last 15 years. Even back in 01-02, the East had two 50 win teams while the West had five and in 02-03 the East had one 50 win team while the West had six.

There were no Spurs or Clippers or Warriors or Memphis level teams he had to go through this year. Not even a Houston level team. Then there's OKC which will be back. NO which will grow.
and don't forget, the top two picks in this years draft are going to the West too (Min & LAL).

and i totally agree top 16 teams making the Playoffs would be the best move for the league

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The funny thing about people who advocate for converting the playoffs to a Top 16 is that they all seem to have something in common: they pretty much all seem to be fans of west coast teams.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I think a hybrid may be possible. I haven't thought this through, but say guaranteeing 6 spots from each conference and the last 4 by record only? Or something similar? You can play with the qualifications or with the numbers to get to a desired middle ground, perhaps. Not sure if I really endorse such a change, but there are other options.

Yes with the unbalanced schedule that's not completely fair, but it's more fair than these garbage EC teams getting into the playoffs each year and it being a much easier road to the Finals.
Your post made me realize that if the playoffs are changed to Top 16 team records, the Eastern Conference actually has a huge advantage, since they go up against such crappy teams so often.

All it would take is a halfway decent team in the East to eclipse the # of wins of a much better Western Conference team (say, the Kings).
What if the Kings won 45 games in a season, making 8th in the WC, and the EC woke up from their deep slumber and beat up the sucky teams to produce 9 teams that win >45 games?

We all view this as a good thing for the WC if they change to Top 16, but there is a way it could backfire.

Your post made me realize that if the playoffs are changed to Top 16 team records, the Eastern Conference actually has a huge advantage, since they go up against such crappy teams so often.
That would be an initial thought, but the EC is just so s****y that it's not the case.

50 Win Teams:

2000-01 EC-3 WC-7
2001-02 EC-2 WC-5
2002-03 EC-1 WC-6
2003-04 EC-2 WC-6
2004-05 EC-2 WC-6
2005-06 EC-3 WC-3
2006-07 EC-2 WC-5
2007-08 EC-3 WC-8
2008-09 EC-3 WC-6
2009-10 EC-4 WC-8
2010-11 EC-4 WC-5
Lockout year
2012-13 EC-2 WC-5
2013-14 EC-2 WC-7
2014-15 EC-3 WC-7

Last 14 seasons excluding the lockout year:

EC-36
WC-84

The East is just that bad, year in, year out. Two times in the those 14 seasons were they able to produce four 50 win teams and in seven of 14 seasons they only produced two 50 win teams, in a considerably weaker conference. Meanwhile during that span, in nine of fourteen seasons the West produced at least six 50 win teams.

Last time the EC produced more 50 win teams was 96-97. I don't see it suddenly changing in the next year or two so we'll likely go above 20 consecutive years of WC dominance. To me that says this isn't something which swings back and forth every few years but rather in the modern era, one conference is far superior to another. And changes should be made. I'd argue it would boost ratings too. Some of these EC playoff match ups aren't good for ratings.

If you want to tweak with the over all seeding you really have to have a solid reason. The current system is designed to maximize interest and viewership from coast to coast. Making the play offs "more competitive" by focusing on pure record will result in sub .500 teams being eliminated while bringing in a few more marginal teams but to what end? Sure big NBA fans might like the purity but can you honestly say that the first round in the West was TOO competitive this year? Was the East TOO lopsided? As far as the NBA is concerned making hardcore fans happy (who will watch anyway) has no real cash advantage. And in the end going by pure record will have zero impact on the final outcome. Looking at the champions since 1950 the team with the WORST seeding to ever win a championship (the 95 Rockets) were a 6 seed in fact if you want to make the play offs MORE competitive just start with 8 teams. Historically it would not have changed a thing in terms of final outcome.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
... I'd argue it would boost ratings too.
No, it won't. And, since you live over here, too, you ought to know why.

People love to talk about the 'East Coast Bias,' as it pertains to sports media coverage, but don't believe that it extends to sports viewership. Many, if not most, of the population centers in the United States are still on the east coast, and teams like the Thunder and the Clippers and the Warriors aren't nearly as popular east of the Mississippi as I feel like west coast people think they are.

Sure, there are always hardcore basketball fans, and people who are going to star-gaze, but think about how many Kings Fans you know who opt out of watching the playoffs because the Kings aren't in it, and imagine that happening in a half dozen cities with anywhere between half again and five times the population of Sacramento.

Implementing a system that could result in as few as two eastern conference teams making the playoffs any given year could essentially amount to telling as much as two thirds of your viewership, "You know what? We don't care if you watch." Best case scenario, the ratings would stay exactly the same. There's no chance they'd improve.

EDIT - On preview, I see that @HndsmCelt nailed it in his second sentence.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't see the NBA implementing the 16 best teams record wise strategy but what they can maybe do is relocate some West teams to the Eastern Conference and go from there?

No, it won't. And, since you live over here, too, you ought to know why.

People love to talk about the 'East Coast Bias,' as it pertains to sports media coverage, but don't believe that it extends to sports viewership. Many, if not most, of the population centers in the United States are still on the east coast, and teams like the Thunder and the Clippers and the Warriors aren't nearly as popular east of the Mississippi as I feel like west coast people think they are.
No, what you're ignoring and has proven time and time again to factor greatly into tv ratings across sports, both in the US and internationally is star power and following the top teams. You're looking at the local perspective, not the national. There's two strong Eastern tv markets that seem to do pretty well no matter what. Those being NY and Chicago. There's also notoriously poor large markets back East such as ATL and DC. Where the East is strong is Chi, NY and wherever Lebron plays. After that, there's a helluva lot more parity among the ratings. Here's a graph from 2013-14 to show that.

What you see is the Lebron factor, followed by the Lakers(a Western NY/Chi), then Durant/Westbrook(star power). After that, it's the two regularly strong Eastern markets in NY/Chi followed by teams with popular stars. Griffin/CP3, the Spurs, George and Ind who were a good story that year, Harden/D12, Curry, and it then continues on as there's not all that separation. Just because Boston is Boston, an historic Eastern market doesn't equate to higher ratings than when we were on national tv as you can see.

More on 2013-14

Perennial powers the Lakers and the Boston Celtics suffered through tough seasons, while the New York Knicks in the nation’s top DMA disappointed greatly. Another big market squad, the Philadelphia 76ers, narrowly avoided a record losing skein. None of those squads made the playoffs. Conversely, teams like Indiana, Portland and Houston rose up in the standings and interest levels among NBA fans.

It was a tough season on ABC, whose schedule was heavy with Lakers, Knicks and Bulls games. The broadcast network saw its household rating decline 21% to a 2.3 from a 2.9, while its audience receded 23% to 3.6 million from 4.7 million.

Outside the the top markets in LA, NY and Chi star power and storylines play into ratings a great deal but even then, poor teams in big markets no matter where they are hurt ratings. We see that across sports.

BTW, this "system" likely isn't going to see only two EC teams in the playoffs. But if for argument's sake 14 of the top 16 teams were in the West, I see little point in keeping 6 of the WC out of the playoffs so 6 EC teams in the bottom half of the league get to play playoff basketball. Terrible. Then no one is going to watch outside those poor markets and national/neutral fans will go watch paint peel instead.

Sure big NBA fans might like the purity but can you honestly say that the first round in the West was TOO competitive this year?
YES, the first round playoffs for the West were WAY too competitive -
did you watch the playoffs at all?
Why do you think it's a serious discussion this year?

The Spurs should never have gone up against the Clippers in the first round - that was a huge mistake, caused by the current seeding system.
I would bet that next year there will be changes to the playoff structure, and you can virtually guarantee that if so, Divisional-champion-preferred-seeding is the thing that will be eliminated next year, and they will look into a Top 16 in later years. The Trailblazers should not have been seeded #4 just because they won the Northwest division.

The Clippers/Spurs was by far the most competitive matchup of the entire playoffs.
It's highly likely that if they hadn't matched up in the 1st round, one of them (if not both of them) would still be playing. Both of them were better than Houston (Clips just choked it away, and CP3 wasn't the same after his Spurs series injury). The Warriors got very fortunate to dodge them because of the current seeding system.

If you want to tweak with the over all seeding you really have to have a solid reason. The current system is designed to maximize interest and viewership from coast to coast. Making the play offs "more competitive" by focusing on pure record will result in sub .500 teams being eliminated while bringing in a few more marginal teams but to what end? Sure big NBA fans might like the purity but can you honestly say that the first round in the West was TOO competitive this year? Was the East TOO lopsided? As far as the NBA is concerned making hardcore fans happy (who will watch anyway) has no real cash advantage. And in the end going by pure record will have zero impact on the final outcome. Looking at the champions since 1950 the team with the WORST seeding to ever win a championship (the 95 Rockets) were a 6 seed in fact if you want to make the play offs MORE competitive just start with 8 teams. Historically it would not have changed a thing in terms of final outcome.
I'm going to quote your whole post because, damn -
all your arguments here are horrible.

* There is a solid reason to change the playoffs. Huge, known, long-standing reasons.
* You answered your question yourself - the better teams would be in the playoffs, instead of the bad EC teams getting playoff exposure. Worse teams should not be in the playoffs over better teams. That is pretty self-explanatory.
* "No real cash advantage"? Are you actually proposing (or defending) that the NBA should be seeding the playoffs to favor whichever team's fanbase is larger?! That's the end result of this line of thinking.
"I'm sorry, small-market team (or West coast team), I know you are a much better team with a better record, but we can't let you into the playoffs because we have to show preferential treatment to this East Coast (or big market team) because we think they have more fans." <-- Disproven by rainmaker's excellent post
* Changing the playoff seeding would have zero impact?! Are you serious? The better teams would be playing, the first rounds would have better basketball (with little chance of another Spurs/Clippers debacle), and it equalizes the playoff opportunities, eliminating arbitrary geographical separation. And you conveniently dismiss that as "zero impact".
Tell that to the Suns last year, or the Thunder this year, or maybe the Kings next year.
Making the playoffs is HUGE for a squad - it leads to beneficial trades and free agent signings.... but no - it makes "zero impact", presumably because those teams wouldn't win the championship.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
No, what you're ignoring and has proven time and time again to factor greatly into tv ratings across sports, both in the US and internationally is star power and following the top teams...
No, I didn't ignore it. I certainly didn't ignore that casual fans star-gaze. I, in fact, said that exact thing. What I said was that east coast fans won't go out of their way to watch west coast teams in the playoffs, if there are no east coast teams in it, and your regular season numbers do not refute that.

The only thing your numbers prove is that ratings have declined, because east coast teams have been bad. It does not logically follow that the optimal solution would be to remove the east coast teams from the equation. That would be the opposite of a solution. The so-called west coast stars are not nearly as popular as west coast people think they are. The best the NBA could hope for by removing east coast teams from their television schedule is that their ratings won't move. They're not going to go up, and nothing you've posted suggests otherwise.

IfAt1st said:

* There is a solid reason to change the playoffs. Huge, known, long-standing reasons.

Gee I must just be clueless to miss these HUGE long standing reasons and the NBA executives must be as well.
* You answered your question yourself - the better teams would be in the playoffs, instead of the bad EC teams getting playoff exposure. Worse teams should not be in the playoffs over better teams. That is pretty self-explanatory.

You either willfully ignored or missed the qualifier MARGINALLY better teams. This year it would have meant Brooklyn stays home and OKC makes the PO. That’s it. I am not sure how changing the flavor of first round cannon fodder by it’s self justifies upsetting a system that as I said is designed to maximize viewership across the country. I also honestly doubt OKC would prefer to make the PO as a 8 seed at the cost of a shot in the lotto but I do know that loosing the viewers in NY would really hurt… it’s sort of a large market.

* "No real cash advantage"? Are you actually proposing (or defending) that the NBA should be seeding the playoffs to favor whichever team's fanbase is larger?! NO I am not and you know that. That's the end result of this line of thinking.

No it is not. The NBA is built to promote fan interest. The Neo-Gladiatorial play offs crowning Champions from each conference and having them battle it out for the NBA Championship allows for 3 rounds of competition between the teams most fans know best and have a vested interest in seeing either win or lose. (eg: My two favorite teams are the Kings and whoever is playing the Lakers)

However the immediate result of giving births to teams based on record is the effective end of conference championships and there by the end of conferences. You can’t very well have Conference Champs when one conference gets more births and the seeding mixes the two from jump-street. Also there is no longer a reason for the conference distinctions; in fact you would WANT every team meet about 3 times during season play in order to make the standing more meaningful. So now what YOU give is a 16 team tournament whit only an NBA championship that could omit huge sections of the country… all this to make sure that a 45-37 team makes the play offs and a 36-44 team does not because it matters which team loses in the first round.

I am however saying that the NBA system is designed to maximize profits
and I don’t see any reason THEY would change it in order to loose money.
"I'm sorry, small-market team (or West coast team), I know you are a much better team with a better record, but we can't let you into the playoffs because we have to show preferential treatment to this East Coast (or big market team) because we think they have more fans." <-- Disproven by rainmaker's excellent post <-- Disproven by Slim’s better post

* Changing the playoff seeding would have zero impact?! Are you serious? The better teams would be playing, the first rounds would have better basketball (with little chance of another Spurs/Clippers debacle), and it equalizes the playoff opportunities, eliminating arbitrary geographical separation. And you conveniently dismiss that as "zero impact".

This is a pure straw man argument and you know it. You intentionally feign misunderstanding when I clearly state “will have zero impact on the final outcome.” I then followed that FULL statement up with proof. Your out of context quote only serves to open the door for your position that what really matters is better round one competition even though you grudgingly confess that those better first round match ups will not affect the final outcome.

So lets give the rest of this section the attention it deserves. The HUGE impact you would effect is to replace a few sub-.500 teams with a few just above .500 teams (against differently weighted pools) ostensibly because “you know the better team has the better record” But will give you this much eliminating the conferences, and picking the to 16 teams by record would have an impact with large areas of country turning off the NBA in April. I will grant you that the improved cannon fodder in round one make a few first round series a bit more interesting and might even mean more game 6 and 7s… heck one or two of these marginal teams might even upset and sneak into round two. But it will not change the final outcome.

As for what you call the Spurs Clippers debacle I will give you this it is a good reason for the league to get rid of the rule giving top seeds to conference winners, but does it really matter? What team “snuck into the semi-finals? Memphis? Houston? LA? Let’s be honest Pop’s habit of sitting starters cost him games, turns out that had consequences. The aged Spurs could not take a team that then laid down in the semi-finals so while I acknowledge that the seeding rule giving conference winners top seeds set up an imbalance that ignored records the truth is the WINNER of that match up put up the saddest performance in the semi-finals. Would the Spurs have fared better? I doubt it but I will say I can’t picture them giving up like the guys that beat them did.

Tell that to the Suns last year, or the Thunder this year, or maybe the Kings next year.
Making the playoffs is HUGE for a squad - it leads to beneficial trades and free agent signings.... but no - it makes "zero impact", presumably because those teams wouldn't win the championship.

Again it would seem that you 1. Understand that my point IS that wholesale change of the birth and seed process will not change the outcome of the finals. 2. You feel that OTHER considerations are worth the NBA risking having entire sections of the country tune out in April. 3. That consideration is for a few teams on the fringe to get into round one while a few other teams on the other edge of the fringe stay home. Go to an OKC board a see how many fans were WANTING to tank and how many were upset about not making the playoffs. Do you think any FA’s are really going to look at Brooklyn as better local than OKC this season because of the play offs? Seriously? And how exactly does being in the play offs as a number 8 seed benefit in trades? Any examples of guys who just had to get on to that number 8 team?

So if I have this right you would eliminate the conferences and there by conference championships. This would require a leveling of the schedules with each team meeting either 2 or 3 times which either reduces the season to 58 games or extend it to 87 games. You know it will not change the outcome but it will give play off births to the top 16 team based on record regardless of location in order to benefit the 15th and maybe 14th seed and to NOT reward the teams with the 16th and 17th or maybe even 18th best record. You would risk large areas of the country tuning out, because of a graph showing large markets have the highest viewership during the regular season. Have I got that right?

IfAt1st said:

Gee I must just be clueless to miss these HUGE long standing reasons and the NBA executives must be as well.

You either willfully ignored or missed the qualifier MARGINALLY better teams. This year it would have meant Brooklyn stays home and OKC makes the PO. That’s it. I am not sure how changing the flavor of first round cannon fodder by it’s self justifies upsetting a system that as I said is designed to maximize viewership across the country. I also honestly doubt OKC would prefer to make the PO as a 8 seed at the cost of a shot in the lotto but I do know that loosing the viewers in NY would really hurt… it’s sort of a large market.

* "No real cash advantage"? Are you actually proposing (or defending) that the NBA should be seeding the playoffs to favor whichever team's fanbase is larger?! NO I am not and you know that. That's the end result of this line of thinking.
No it is not. The NBA is built to promote fan interest. The Neo-Gladiatorial play offs crowning Champions from each conference and having them battle it out for the NBA Championship allows for 3 rounds of competition between the teams most fans know best and have a vested interest in seeing either win or lose. (eg: My two favorite teams are the Kings and whoever is playing the Lakers)

However the immediate result of giving births to teams based on record is the effective end of conference championships and there by the end of conferences. You can’t very well have Conference Champs when one conference gets more births and the seeding mixes the two from jump-street. Also there is no longer a reason for the conference distinctions; in fact you would WANT every team meet about 3 times during season play in order to make the standing more meaningful. So now what YOU give is a 16 team tournament whit only an NBA championship that could omit huge sections of the country… all this to make sure that a 45-37 team makes the play offs and a 36-44 team does not because it matters which team loses in the first round.

I am however saying that the NBA system is designed to maximize profits and I don’t see any reason THEY would change it in order to loose money.
"I'm sorry, small-market team (or West coast team), I know you are a much better team with a better record, but we can't let you into the playoffs because we have to show preferential treatment to this East Coast (or big market team) because we think they have more fans." <-- Disproven by rainmaker's excellent post <-- Disproven by Slim’s better post

This is a pure straw man argument and you know it. You intentionally feign misunderstanding when I clearly state “will have zero impact on the final outcome.” I then followed that FULL statement up with proof. Your out of context quote only serves to open the door for your position that what really matters is better round one competition even though you grudgingly confess that those better first round match ups will not affect the final outcome.

So lets give the rest of this section the attention it deserves. The HUGE impact you would effect is to replace a few sub-.500 teams with a few just above .500 teams (against differently weighted pools) ostensibly because “you know the better team has the better record” But will give you this much eliminating the conferences, and picking the to 16 teams by record would have an impact with large areas of country turning off the NBA in April. I will grant you that the improved cannon fodder in round one make a few first round series a bit more interesting and might even mean more game 6 and 7s… heck one or two of these marginal teams might even upset and sneak into round two. But it will not change the final outcome.

As for what you call the Spurs Clippers debacle I will give you this it is a good reason for the league to get rid of the rule giving top seeds to conference winners, but does it really matter? What team “snuck into the semi-finals? Memphis? Houston? LA? Let’s be honest Pop’s habit of sitting starters cost him games, turns out that had consequences. The aged Spurs could not take a team that then laid down in the semi-finals so while I acknowledge that the seeding rule giving conference winners top seeds set up an imbalance that ignored records the truth is the WINNER of that match up put up the saddest performance in the semi-finals. Would the Spurs have fared better? I doubt it but I will say I can’t picture them giving up like the guys that beat them did.
Again it would seem that you 1. Understand that my point IS that wholesale change of the birth and seed process will not change the outcome of the finals. 2. You feel that OTHER considerations are worth the NBA risking having entire sections of the country tune out in April. 3. That consideration is for a few teams on the fringe to get into round one while a few other teams on the other edge of the fringe stay home. Go to an OKC board a see how many fans were WANTING to tank and how many were upset about not making the playoffs. Do you think any FA’s are really going to look at Brooklyn as better local than OKC this season because of the play offs? Seriously? And how exactly does being in the play offs as a number 8 seed benefit in trades? Any examples of guys who just had to get on to that number 8 team?

So if I have this right you would eliminate the conferences and there by conference championships. This would require a leveling of the schedules with each team meeting either 2 or 3 times which either reduces the season to 58 games or extend it to 87 games. You know it will not change the outcome but it will give play off births to the top 16 team based on record regardless of location in order to benefit the 15th and maybe 14th seed and to NOT reward the teams with the 16th and 17th or maybe even 18th best record. You would risk large areas of the country tuning out, because of a graph showing large markets have the highest viewership during the regular season. Have I got that right?
Didn't read this, because I don't have interest in this topic, but it's very nice to see thorough discussion on this board. Whether I end up agreeing with you are not, thanks.

Well, I don't like the sass though.

Status
Not open for further replies.