[NBA Playoffs] Conference Finals open thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Someone on the wrestling forum I post at pointed out that Mark Jackson will be on the call for every game the Warriors play, however many more games they play, for the remainder of this season. I'm sure that won't be awkward, at all...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sincerely doubt Rockets can beat Warriors at their own game. Series isn't even really interesting. No clash of styles, no conflicting strategies. Just two teams racing up and down the floor chucking, except one is better at it and has more defenders, particularly with Beverley gone -- an absolutely key loss for the Rockets against Curry.

Atlanta has been awful these playoffs, notably saved last series by good old fashioned big man play from Horford when all the gimmicktry failed. But LeBron's team may be ruined by injuries, and if they are, Atlanta could have every chance to steal the series.

K

KingMilz

I think if you look back at it the Clippers badly shot themselves in the foot at the start of the year when they made the Hawes signing (which looked a good value for $$ and he brought what they needed). They essential aside from Crawford had no bench and they spent a decent amount on Hawes. Hawes essentially turned into there version of Carl Landry which when your competing for a championship is a lot more costly than when your battling for the #1 pick.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Watching the Clippers collapse was good entertainment for me and I'm not a big fan of the Rockets. How do the Clippers show some heart and grit against SA and then just not give full effort on the defensive end over the last game and a half? Sure would have liked to have seen a screen shot of Ballmer in his sideline seat as it became apparent that they were going to be eliminated.

I really don't think I will be able to watch the West conf finals without gagging.

MVP foul calls vs MVP-runner-up foul calls.

It's not about basketball much; it is about which team is more favored by the refs.

The most interesting thing to me will be: Which will be more protected by the refs - the Warriors over-aggressive, hands-y defense, or Harden's superstar calls?
Anyone actually believe Harden will get that kind of chicken-crap phantom call they called vs JJ Redick when he's up against the Dubs?

I really don't think I will be able to watch the West conf finals without gagging.

MVP foul calls vs MVP-runner-up foul calls.

It's not about basketball much; it is about which team is more favored by the refs.

The most interesting thing to me will be: Which will be more protected by the refs - the Warriors over-aggressive, hands-y defense, or Harden's superstar calls?
Anyone actually believe Harden will get that kind of chicken-poopoo phantom call they called vs JJ Redick when he's up against the Dubs?
That was a great and entertaining game tonight. You are being very negative, sir.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Warriors had so many open shots...this series won't last long if Houston doesn't clamp down a bit. Losing Dwight for the game didn't help their cause either...

Houston had some problems with the small lineup of the Warriors too. The second quarter run by the Warriors was pretty impressive. Howard was unable to punish them for defending him with much smaller guys.
I think J.Smith can be the X-factor in this series. Rockets need him to deal with Green and Barnes on D, but if he doesn't hit his shots, Warriors will play off him and dare him to shoot.

And yet, I find myself agreeing - at least in part - with what he said. The officials have already played too much of a part in these playoffs, IMHO.
in the Cleveland/Bulls series, yes.

The officials did not have an influence on game one of the WCF last night

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
No go to player is killing ATL. Just zero star power. No one wants to step up. No one's capable of stepping up.

Get blown off your home floor when Cle has neither Love nor Kyrie? Can't believe how weak the East is.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I wish it was Washington instead of Atlanta....at least they have a star PG and an up and coming star SG to give Cleveland some type of challenge. sigh. The Eastern playoffs have been a sham for such a long time, too bad LeBron isn't retiring anytime soon.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
... and a cat named Lebron
That, too. Sometimes, it's less about what you "don't got," and more about what the other guy "got."

Washington had a go-to player. A couple of them, in fact. One of them has even proven his mettle on a championship level. They're still watching the ECF on television, like the rest of us. There are several reasons why Atlanta is not going to win this series, but lack of a go-to player is not one of them.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/05/20/shot-creation-and-these-playoffs/

Interesting article showing, that:
  • out of 4 semi-finalists Atlanta is the only one without players, that can create their own shots effectively with Teague leading them at measly .413.
  • Cavs had 4 (Iman Shumpert wants to get payed) and Rockets had 2 players (Terry and Smith are ridiculously more effective in POs) jumping way over their heads generating their own offense. Green, Barnes and Speights responded very well to the challenges of PO defense.
  • there was a time, when Iggy and Bogut could score

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That, too. Sometimes, it's less about what you "don't got," and more about what the other guy "got."

Washington had a go-to player. A couple of them, in fact. One of them has even proven his mettle on a championship level. They're still watching the ECF on television, like the rest of us. There are several reasons why Atlanta is not going to win this series, but lack of a go-to player is not one of them.
Know you're a Hawks fan but they've been trash the entire playoffs. Brooklyn threatened them. Brooklyn. So did the Wizards. Neither one of those teams would even have been a playoff team out West. Now the Cavs are delivering a mercy killing. The Hawks all for one and one will chuck a three offense has died on the vine and certainly has a lot of questions about its playoff worthiness right now. They may not even have made it out of last round were it not for some good old fashioned, and out of character, big man dominance by Al Horford.

And now this series it truly is as simple as Lebron >> any Hawk. He's unstoppable and controls everything, and the Hawks have no idea on their end who's going to lead them. That Spurs title last year was freaky, and even they only had 3-4 HOFs and a Top 10 All Time player on the roster. Otherwise these collective teams basically sneak 1 champion in every 10 years or so during a down season, and then its all superstars all the time in the NBA for another decade. We should see another group of relative mediocrities pull off a title circa 2024 or so.

Good news for us actually, as we've got 1 of about 10 guys in the NBA who fits the profile as championship leading man.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Well, in the first place, you're confusing my not hating the Hawks for being a Hawks fan, but I can understand why someone who has contempt for the eastern conference might make that mistake. "Fan" is entirely too strong a word to describe my interest. I watched more Hawks games this season than any other teams, besides the Kings and the Pelicans, but that had more to do with availability than fandom. The Hawks were simply the team that was on my TV more than anybody else, so I watched them.

In the second place, I maintain that your post doesn't contradict anything else I said. Of course, LeBron James >> than any Hawk, but I already stipulated that. But that's not the same thing as them losing because they don't have a go-to guy: if Atlanta had a go-to guy, they'd still be losing this series. Ask Chicago. Ask last year's Pacers. That other guy is too good, has nothing to do with the lack of a superstar; there are, maybe, three guys in the entire league that you could put on the Hawks, that would have any impact on the outcome of this series. The Hawks are losing because, to paraphrase Geno Auriemma, the Cavs have LeBron James, and the Hawks don't.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
now that Korver is out for the rest of the playoffs, the Cavaliers can go for the sweep and get this dreaded series over with. These conference finals have been a disappointment to say the least...how did Houston get here?

Get ready for Cleveland and Golden State NBA final, somewhat (or maybe a lot) boring like these much of these playoffs. Get ready for Lebron playing his so-called point forward or really point guard vs. Steph Curry matchup at some level. Can James just bulldoze his way over Curry and flatten teeth of Ws defense to win NBA title of Cleveland. Not likely this year and especially with banged up Irving, loss of Love.

Get ready for Cleveland and Golden State NBA final, somewhat (or maybe a lot) boring like these much of these playoffs. Get ready for Lebron playing his so-called point forward or really point guard vs. Steph Curry matchup at some level. Can James just bulldoze his way over Curry and flatten teeth of Ws defense to win NBA title of Cleveland. Not likely this year and especially with banged up Irving, loss of Love.
I wouldn't count on it. Warriors have been playing some damn fine defense in the playoffs. The Warriors are very disciplined on defense and great at using double teams while falling back to their guys and not losing shooters. They also have waves of versatile defenders to bother Lebron, both outside and at the rim.

Then add to the fact that Curry is looking like he can challenge for the best player in the world title (and, at least in these playoffs, is very clearly number 2 behind James), and it's not looking great for Cleveland.

I've always liked Lebron, and really want to see him win a ring for Cleveland (altho I didn't like those Miami teams and loved warning the Spurs beat them). I just have to think that the W's have to be heavy heavy favorites going in.

I'm just praying our FO doesn't try to look to Golden State to get any lessons about building a team

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the Warriors didn't even have to go through San Antonio, OKC or LA to get to the finals. Must be nice. I hope one year the Kings can be so fortunate. The Cavs had to go through a terrible Celtics team, beaten down Chicago team and a injury riddled Atlanta team.

Status
Not open for further replies.