[NBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread: TDOS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 1h
Blake Griffin withdrew from Team USA camp to rest a small fracture in his back. It is not believed to be serious. http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11279085/blake-griffin-los-angeles-clippers-small-fracture-back…

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 1h
Griffin suffered the previously unreported injury during the playoffs. He's expected to make a full recovery, but not in time for USA camp
---------------------------------------------------------

A small fracture in his back not believed to be serious? Previously unreported? Hrm...

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Cleveland has got to be out of their minds if they give up Wiggins in a Love trade. Wiggins and LeBron would give Cleveland a fantastic pair of wing defenders, as good or better than Jordan and Pippen of years ago. And that's just at the beginning of Wiggins career when he's in diapers in his offensive game. Love is a good player, but he obviously doesn't have enough impact on the floor to carry a team, and his defense is mediocre.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This deserves it's own thread
Only the Spurs could do this. With their brains and track record they could hire a circus act and I'd buy in. If more than 50% of the population is women, then absolutely there is a great women's coach out there for basketball. And it wouldn't surprise me if the Spurs just nabbed one.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This deserves it's own thread
And yet, as a woman, I chose to post it here and not give it its own thread.

Why you ask? Because Becky Hammon fully deserves this spot, whether she's male, female or an alien from the androgynous planet Whocares. And for the record, Hammon isn't the first woman assistant coach in the NBA. She is the first PAID female assistant coach. Lisa Boyer was a "volunteer" assistant coach for the Cavaliers in 2002.

I look forward to the day when women in a variety of roles in sports will be judged solely on their ability and not because of their gender. I believe Pop and the Spurs took a long step in the right direction with this hiring. This from Pop speaks volumes: "I'm confident her basketball IQ, work ethic and interpersonal skills will be a great benefit to the Spurs."

Metta World Peace is going to have a new name in China. New high-profile import playing for Chinese basketball Association club Sichuan Blue Whales is known as Ron Artest but intends to change his name to "Panda Friend" in honor of his move to China. World Peace, who is known in China as "Ci Shiping", a literal translation of "Metta World Peace," now plans to name himself after China's giant panda, a precious animal based in Southwest China's Sichuan province, where his new team is also based. China Daily

Rumors tagsChina, Metta World Peace
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.ezbk5CIt.dpuf

You just can't make this stuff up Too Darn funny Panda Friend? Really? LOL

Metta World Peace is going to have a new name in China. New high-profile import playing for Chinese basketball Association club Sichuan Blue Whales is known as Ron Artest but intends to change his name to "Panda Friend" in honor of his move to China. World Peace, who is known in China as "Ci Shiping", a literal translation of "Metta World Peace," now plans to name himself after China's giant panda, a precious animal based in Southwest China's Sichuan province, where his new team is also based. China Daily

Rumors tagsChina, Metta World Peace
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.ezbk5CIt.dpuf

You just can't make this stuff up Too Darn funny Panda Friend? Really? LOL
"Panda Friend for Threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" Just when you thought Metta World Peace was as bad as it could get...

Once again, the Cavs show their true colors. What idiots! They will regret trading wiggins, big time.
Well, it'll be interesting in that either Cleveland or Minnesota will end up winning a trade for the first time in a while.

For what's worth, I also disagree. I think it was a lot to give up in terms of disgruntled superstar trades, but still a sound move for the Cavs. LeBron will be turning 30 this year--Wiggins may hit his prime in, what, six years? When LeBron is 36? Is that what they'll regret? Meanwhile, Love is still just turning 26 this year, he'll be quite good still for quite a few years. And we don't have any idea of whether Wiggins will ever be that good or not.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once again, the Cavs show their true colors. What idiots! They will regret trading wiggins, big time.
Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't say Wiggins has bust potential if only because even if he never gets significantly better than he is now he'll help a team just because of his size/length and athleticism. But I would say that he has the farthest to go to reach his potential as any if the top picks. At best he'll follow a Paul George like career arc which means he won't likely be a real force for a couple years. And LeBron wants to win now.

That said, the T'Wolves have a bundle of potential now. Wiggins and LaVine as well as Glen Robinson III joining young vets Thaddeus Young, Pekovic and Rubio. Should be lots of alley oops in Minnesota.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think the prospect of Wiggins was that Cleveland could transition from one superstar to the next, something that is rare outside of Los Angeles.

Now they'll probably win a title or two but when it's over it's probably over.

But it's really unclear just how good Wiggins will be.

I think the prospect of Wiggins was that Cleveland could transition from one superstar to the next, something that is rare outside of Los Angeles.

... and even if Wiggins is a superstar, how many superstars win more than "a title or two"?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Rank Player Pos Seasons played Total won Championship teams
1 Bill Russell* C 13 11 Boston Celtics
2 Sam Jones* G/F 12 10 Boston Celtics
3 Tom Heinsohn* F/C 9 8 Boston Celtics
3 K. C. Jones*, G 9 8 Boston Celtics
3 Tom "Satch" Sanders*[a] F 13 8 Boston Celtics
3 John Havlicek* F/G 16 8 Boston Celtics
7 Jim Loscutoff F 9 7 Boston Celtics
7 Frank Ramsey* F/G 9 7 Boston Celtics
7 Robert Horry F 16 7 Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Lakers, San Antonio Spurs
10 Bob Cousy* G 14 6 Boston Celtics
10 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* C 20 6 Milwaukee Bucks, Los Angeles Lakers
10 Michael Jordan* G/F 15 6 Chicago Bulls
10 Scottie Pippen* F/G 17 6 Chicago Bulls
14 George Mikan* C 7 5 Minneapolis Lakers
14 Jim Pollard* F/C 7 5 Minneapolis Lakers
14 Slater Martin* G 11 5 Minneapolis Lakers. St. Louis Hawks
14 Larry Siegfried F 9 5 Boston Celtics
14 Don Nelson* G 14 5 Boston Celtics
14 Earvin "Magic" Johnson* G/F 13 5 Los Angeles Lakers
14 Michael Cooper G/F 12 5 Los Angeles Lakers
14 Dennis Rodman* F 14 5 Detroit Pistons. Chicago Bulls
14 Ron Harper G/F 15 5 Chicago Bulls. Los Angeles Lakers
14 Steve Kerr G 15 5 Chicago Bulls. San Antonio Spurs
14 Kobe Bryant^ G 17 5 Los Angeles Lakers
14 Derek Fisher G 17 5 Los Angeles Lakers
14 Tim Duncan^ F/C 17 5 San Antonio Spurs
27 Vern Mikkelsen* F/C 10 4 Minneapolis Lakers
27 Frank Saul G/F 6 4 Rochester Royals, Minneapolis Lakers
27 Bill Sharman* G 11 4 Boston Celtics
27 Jamaal Wilkes* G/F 12 4 Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers
27 Kurt Rambis F 14 4 Los Angeles Lakers
27 Robert Parish* C 21 4 Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls
27 Will Perdue C 13 4 Chicago Bulls. San Antonio Spurs
27 John Salley F/C 11 4 Detroit Pistons, Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers
27 Horace Grant F/C 17 4 Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers
27 Shaquille O'Neal C 19 4 Los Angeles Lakers, Miami Heat
27 Tony Parker^ G 12 4 San Antonio Spurs
27 Manu Ginóbili^ G 11 4 San Antonio Spurs

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry for the format above. I wasn't able to figure out how to retain the original formatting from wikipedia. I did notice one interesting little factoid: One player (Frank Saul) won a ring with the Rochester Royals and 4 with the Minneapolis Lakers. :)

K

KingMilz

LaVine and Wiggins on the wings might be the most athletic combo ever ( in recent memory anyway)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Jonathan Santiago @itsjonsantiago · 10h
Played hurt during second half of the season RT @paulcoro: The #Suns announced that Isaiah Thomas underwent left wrist surgery today.
------------------------------
?!?!?!?!?!?! Am I totally losing my mind or is this the first we've known about this?
No, that was reported on the Kings broadcast a couple of times. Grant and Jerry just never made a big deal about it, so it was easy to forget.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
No, that was reported on the Kings broadcast a couple of times. Grant and Jerry just never made a big deal about it, so it was easy to forget.
But why wait so long to do it? As soon as the season was over would have been the ideal time ... unless he was concerned that it might interfere with his bargaining position for a contract?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Jonathan Santiago @itsjonsantiago · 10h
Played hurt during second half of the season RT @paulcoro: The #Suns announced that Isaiah Thomas underwent left wrist surgery today.
------------------------------
?!?!?!?!?!?! Am I totally losing my mind or is this the first we've known about this?
He injured his wrist at the end of last season. Probably thought it was healed and then it popped up again. I'm sure he would have had the surgery sooner if he has known it was required. Or maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No offense to the ten fans of the Atlanta Hawks but, now that their owner's been outed as a racist as well, maybe this'll finally be Seattle's chance to snag its white whale.

No offense to the ten fans of the Atlanta Hawks but, now that their owner's been outed as a racist as well, maybe this'll finally be Seattle's chance to snag its white whale.
I don't know, I mean Atlanta is a huge market, and Ballmer has a team now. On the other hand, Hawks fans are notoriously few and far between. Did I read somewhere that they were having problems selling out playoff games?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
**** Seattle, and you can tell them I said so. They don't deserve a team. Levenson's only a part-owner, anyway; make him sell his stake, sure, but he's not even an "absolute" majority owner. Making him sell wouldn't even give someone ownership of the Hawks.

Well said. **** Seattle.

With the arrogant and ignorant nature of their fans, particularly during the time they tried to steal the Kings, they do not deserve a team whatsoever. Sonicsrising can keep posting up delusional articles about relocation and expansion. They're not going to get a team any time soon.

I'm actually surprised there's nothing about this recent Hawks news on Sonicsrising . They're usually one to sweep at any given opportunities, no matter how delusional it can be..

Status
Not open for further replies.