[NBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (OCT/NOV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never get worked up over people we passed on in the draft. None of them would have ever developed into the players they are today if we picked them. We have been terrible at developing players.

Solomon Hill has not looked good to start the season.
He was very good against Kawhi on D, denying him the ball and contesting tough. He shouldn't create anything for himself on offense, and current Pels team can't create open shots for him.

I think Joe Johnson can get you an iso bucket in crunch time as well as just about any player not named Lebron.
Too lazy to find the gif, but there was a picture flowing on RealGM, that showed Rudy being best in the league in last minute shots over the last 5 or 7 years at 44%. :D

I think Joe Johnson can get you an iso bucket in crunch time as well as just about any player not named Lebron.
I agree with you, but he is no longer a player who can carry a team on his back for a quarter (or half). Most of the teams that succeed in the playoffs have players who can do that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We can't keep kicking ourselves every time someone we didn't pick winds up being good. (Do you think the Wizards stay up at night wondering what'd happen if they picked Boogoe instead of John Wall?)
What's really important is whether or not the guys we pick wind up helping the team or not. Turner had a monster game last night but it's not like Willie was out there stinking it up for us either.
Exactly. And, considering the crapstorm the front office and coaching staff was until recently, those good players we didn't pick might well have stunk up the place had we drafted them.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
In only 25 minutes of play, Russ has a triple double...just another day at the office for him.
Yeah, I watched that... it was still a four-point margin with, like, four minutes to go in the game. Westbrook continues to have to put up all-time numbers, just so that the Thunder can beat the worst teams in the league.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/Grit-in-the-NBA/grit-nba-stephen-curry-grittiest-player-nba

If you want a laugh, here is this article calling Steph Curry the "grittiest" player in the NBA.... that alone just blows my mind, but apparently someone in the article developed a new definition for grit: "The Power of Passion and Perseverance".....

....That's called hard work in my book and it's not what I consider to be grit. When I think of "gritty" players, I think of Z-bo, Matt Barnes, Dreymond Green etc. and probably the last person I think of is Steph. The entire article is based on a ridiculous topic to begin with (how do you even quantify "grit?"), but changing the definition of grit in order for it to fit Curry is silly to say the least. Journalism at its finest.

On another note, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, and Memphis are looking pretty bland to start off this season. Plus with the Lakers and T-Wolves being pretty young, along with the Suns being terrible, we have a solid chance of making the playoffs. I say we probably end up duking it out for the bottom seeds with Houston, Utah and Memphis. The Thunder could potentially fall out of the top 4 as well. They might be 3-0 now, but Westbrook has to average 40 for them to win against lower tier teams. Can't do that for 82 games.

Early in the season Spurs seem to be the best in the Conference. Warriors will figure stuff out and finish in the top-2. Clippers deserve #3 after beating Blazers in Portland, who themselves look solid and deserve to be slotted at #4, even if for lack of clear competition (until Kings get to 6-2 right before Collison's return :D).
And then it's free for all (in no particular order):
  • Utah is really struggling with offense without Hayward and Favors returning from injury.
  • Memphis looks old, plus have injury concerns, including their biggest off-season acquisition, who is walking microfracture surgery.
  • Houston is a classic D'Antoni team, and Ariza and Capela can't defend 2-on-5, while their third good defender is constantly injured (not sure, he'll get a lot of PT from Mike, when healthy). They will outscore a lot of teams. Doubt, it happens 50 times this season.
  • Pelicans have yet to win despite AD's heroics, and Holiday is not coming back any time soon.
  • I will put both Nuggets and Wolves here, since they have similar problem - too young, although Denver has more veterans, but they are young in the most important position for team offense - PG, though Wolves just lost Rubio
  • Dallas is done to me. They will get to 35-40 wins, but no way, they get into POs.
  • Suns, LAL - Mateen.

Since someone mentioned Steph, I'll talk about the other Curry...Seth.
Seth hasn't had a great start to the season. His debut is solid when you see 3-4 7pts 3rebs 3sts 1asts... but what you also see is 6 fouls. Same pattern in his 2nd game...solid-solid-solid-4fouls. 3rd game, he was non-existent on offense.
Seth is getting exposed on defense. I watched the Pacers game and some of the Rockets games. He's really struggling with his lateral quickness. The fouls he was picking up in the 1st game came from him trying to defend the ball, and not the ball handler. He gives lots of effort, but it's his own physical limitations that catch up.
I think Seth is a good bench player, but not someone you could rely on for 20mpg.
Early in the season Spurs seem to be the best in the Conference. Warriors will figure stuff out and finish in the top-2. Clippers deserve #3 after beating Blazers in Portland, who themselves look solid and deserve to be slotted at #4, even if for lack of clear competition (until Kings get to 6-2 right before Collison's return :D).
And then it's free for all (in no particular order):
  • Utah is really struggling with offense without Hayward and Favors returning from injury.
  • Memphis looks old, plus have injury concerns, including their biggest off-season acquisition, who is walking microfracture surgery.
  • Houston is a classic D'Antoni team, and Ariza and Capela can't defend 2-on-5, while their third good defender is constantly injured (not sure, he'll get a lot of PT from Mike, when healthy). They will outscore a lot of teams. Doubt, it happens 50 times this season.
  • Pelicans have yet to win despite AD's heroics, and Holiday is not coming back any time soon.
  • I will put both Nuggets and Wolves here, since they have similar problem - too young, although Denver has more veterans, but they are young in the most important position for team offense - PG, though Wolves just lost Rubio
  • Dallas is done to me. They will get to 35-40 wins, but no way, they get into POs.
  • Suns, LAL - Mateen.
It's really early in the season, but I think the teams locked for the playoffs no matter what are:
1. GSW
2. SAS
3. LAC
4. POR
Teams who are most likely getting in:
5. MEM
6. HOU
Teams who are looking in:
7. OKC
Wildcards:
8. Kings
9. Jazz
10. Mavericks
11. Pelicans
Even though it's really early in the season, this is where the Kings really need to capitalize on the Jazz missing Hayward for 10-15 games, Pelicans missing Holiday and Tyreke, etc.

Last edited:
Since someone mentioned Steph, I'll talk about the other Curry...Seth.
Seth hasn't had a great start to the season. His debut is solid when you see 3-4 7pts 3rebs 3sts 1asts... but what you also see is 6 fouls. Same pattern in his 2nd game...solid-solid-solid-4fouls. 3rd game, he was non-existent on offense.
Seth is getting exposed on defense. I watched the Pacers game and some of the Rockets games. He's really struggling with his lateral quickness. The fouls he was picking up in the 1st game came from him trying to defend the ball, and not the ball handler. He gives lots of effort, but it's his own physical limitations that catch up.
I think Seth is a good bench player, but not someone you could rely on for 20mpg.

It's really early in the season, but I think the teams locked for the playoffs no matter what are:
1. GSW
2. SAS
3. LAC
4. POR
Teams who are most likely getting in:
5. MEM
6. HOU
Teams who are looking in:
7. OKC
Wildcards:
8. Kings
9. Jazz
10. Mavericks
11. Pelicans
Even though it's really early in the season, this is where the Kings really need to capitalize on the Jazz missing Hayward for 10-15 games, Pelicans missing Holiday and Tyreke, etc.
Again I don't think, OKC, Mem and Hou should be considered locks for POs:
  • Thunder finished 45-37(missed POs), when Westy and Durant gave them 94 games combined. And they still had Jackson, Ibaka, and, yes, Waiters back then. And this edition of Thunder is very shallow: they start Singler and gave 30 minutes of PT to rookies each game already. Oladipo, Roberson and Singler each missed 10-15 games last couple of years. And each game Westbrook misses will be a loss.
  • Marc had to make 3 3s in OT to get a home victory vs Wizards. Their previous 2 games started with giant holes early on. Marc comes off 'big man killer' injury, Parsons is constantly injured, and Z-Bo is aging.
  • Houston should've missed POs last year. And they lost 3 big men, who in different degrees did provide defense. They are currently top-5 in offense and bottom-5 in D. Rockets were #7 in O and #21 in D last season, and barely sneaked into POs. They better have best offense, if they insist on playing no defense.

Again I don't think, OKC, Mem and Hou should be considered locks for POs:
  • Thunder finished 45-37(missed POs), when Westy and Durant gave them 94 games combined. And they still had Jackson, Ibaka, and, yes, Waiters back then. And this edition of Thunder is very shallow: they start Singler and gave 30 minutes of PT to rookies each game already. Oladipo, Roberson and Singler each missed 10-15 games last couple of years. And each game Westbrook misses will be a loss.
  • Marc had to make 3 3s in OT to get a home victory vs Wizards. Their previous 2 games started with giant holes early on. Marc comes off 'big man killer' injury, Parsons is constantly injured, and Z-Bo is aging.
  • Houston should've missed POs last year. And they lost 3 big men, who in different degrees did provide defense. They are currently top-5 in offense and bottom-5 in D. Rockets were #7 in O and #21 in D last season, and barely sneaked into POs. They better have best offense, if they insist on playing no defense.
I agree, the places 6-8 are up for grabes in my opinion. I have Utah #4 and Portland #5 but after that its equal opportunity.

I agree, the places 6-8 are up for grabes in my opinion. I have Utah #4 and Portland #5 but after that its equal opportunity.
I just don't understand Utah. They have underachieved the last 2 seasons and haven't made the playoffs yet with that roster and yet everyone considers them a lock? I don't see them as a 4 seed.

I just don't understand Utah. They have underachieved the last 2 seasons and haven't made the playoffs yet with that roster and yet everyone considers them a lock? I don't see them as a 4 seed.
I can see where you are coming from so I'll my explain reasoning. First, they won 40 games last year but they had the point differential of a 48 win team.
I guess that difference is mainly because they couldnt close game. This is supported by them being on of the worst teams at the end of the 4th quarter. But this year they should be much improved in that aspect. They added really good vets in Joe Johnson and Borias Diaw. They also upgraded their PG position by trading for George Hill. So I expect them to win more of these close games this year.

Second, their core of Hayward, Favors, Gobert and Hood is young and therefore can be expected to improve. They also have Exum returning from injury and finally being healthy. Lyles is in his second year as well now.

So all in all I feel quite comfortable putting them at 46-50 wins.

40-win team, that should have won some more, with 1 more year of experience to all the young/entering their prime vets, plus massive improvement to PG position, plus Joe Johnson to help with bench scoring - that's why people project Utah so generously. At the same time they will be without Hayward for 4-6 weeks, so considering he can't shoot or dribble the ball all this time it's safe to say, that Utah will play 30 games, before they get full-strength. And without Hayward their last year's anemic offense looks downright bad.

40-win team, that should have won some more, with 1 more year of experience to all the young/entering their prime vets, plus massive improvement to PG position, plus Joe Johnson to help with bench scoring - that's why people project Utah so generously. At the same time they will be without Hayward for 4-6 weeks, so considering he can't shoot or dribble the ball all this time it's safe to say, that Utah will play 30 games, before they get full-strength. And without Hayward their last year's anemic offense looks downright bad.
I am not attempting to say anything bad about Utah, I happen to like a lot of players on their roster. It's just I wouldn't be so quick to project them at 50 wins when they have underachieved for 2 straight seasons. Last year they should have been in the playoffs and they literally choked it away. With Hayward out (their best scorer and one of their best playmakers) out for such a big stretch, they may come out stumbling. George Hill isn't a scorer and neither is Diaw. How will they score effectively/efficiently? Also, Joe Johnson is a ghost of what he used to be, I wouldn't count on much from him. He's that type of player if his shots aren't falling, he's a liability out there at his age.

They have the potential to be good, but they have yet to reach that potential. In fact, when it comes time to buckle up and fight hard, they seem to fade instead. It would be nice seeing them in the playoffs though, they are a solid franchise and some new blood (along with the Kings of course) in the playoffs would be great to see.

K

KingMilz

Someway somehow the Chicago Bulls through 3 games to me anyway have been the most exciting team in basketball you got 5 guy in there starting line up that just chase down loose balls (including shockingly Rondo) the amount of deflections and steals is staggering and there offense has great chemistry. I'm even starting to like Rondo on a different team........what on earth is going on?

K

KingMilz

Also missing Burkes and Favors just came back and is nowhere near 100%

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Also missing Burkes and Favors just came back and is nowhere near 100%
Diaw also showing the genius of the Spurs system by coming over and not looking all that great on the Jazz roster.

That team when healthy is possibly the best defensive team in the league but they seem to have the same problem as the Pelicans where someone important always seems to get hurt at the wrong time.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Ray Allen officially announced his retirement today but considering he hasn't played for two years I was more surprised that he hadn't retired yet
He's been holding out for a championship contender that already had everything they needed to win a championship, except for a backup SG that could play 25 minutes a game, and get buckets. Like, what would that team even look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.