[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (APR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The fact that one writer gave Monte a first place vote for what he did should be enough to revoke his voting rights.

Maybe you thought running it back was a good idea, I can squint and see an argument. But it wasn’t first place good.

The fact that one writer gave Monte a first place vote for what he did should be enough to revoke his voting rights.

Maybe you thought running it back was a good idea, I can squint and see an argument. But it wasn’t first place good.
You're right, it wasn't just "first place good"...
It was FIRST PLACE GOOD!!! :p:p:p

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Honestly that's far less offensive than leaving Monk off the 6th man list altogether who really cares? I kind of have a hard time deciding between Stephens and Presti for #1. Not going to defend even giving Monte a vote but again, who cares.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Top 3 should have been closer but I can see Stevens winning it for moves made in the last 365 calendar days yes.
I beg to differ. Is it Executive of the Year, or Executive of the Year(s)? What did Presti do during 2023-24 to merit consideration for Executive of the Year, other than save his owner some money? Any significant moves he's made to improve that team came prior to this season.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I beg to differ. Is it Executive of the Year, or Executive of the Year(s)? What did Presti do during 2023-24 to merit consideration for Executive of the Year, other than save his owner some money? Any significant moves he's made to improve that team came prior to this season.
I will concede that which is why I called out in the non-bolded portion of the same sentence that strictly based on a 1 year cycle it is Stevens. (KP and Jrue plus the little tinkering like Queta I don't think he's really missed this year).

But voters typically reward this one for the payoff and I think Minny and OKC had bigger payoffs vs. last year's results. Certainly the Kings last year benefited primarily from Domas, Brown and Keegan which all happened before July 1, 2022.

But also looking at OKC's transaction log for 23-24 it is insane for a team that did all their big stuff in years prior. Non stop tinkering and I can't even tell with their pics which ones are coming in and out. Guy's draft board must look like the wall in a conspiracy nut's closet just tracking which picks they own. :D
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Oklahoma-City-Thunder/33/Transaction-History

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
But voters typically reward this one for the payoff and I think Minny and OKC had bigger payoffs vs. last year's results. Certainly the Kings last year benefited primarily from Domas, Brown and Keegan which all happened before July 1, 2022.
I'm inclined to feel like, since all the other awards go to the end of the regular season, then EOY voting "season" should start when the previous regular season ends; after all, when would any of the transactions between April 15 and July 1 be counted otherwise? So, McNair's 2022-23 EOY campaign featured:
  • Hired Mike Brown
  • Drafted Keegan Murray
  • Signed Malik Monk
  • Traded for Trey Lyles
  • Traded for Kevin Huerter
That's not bad.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm inclined to feel like, since all the other awards go to the end of the regular season, then EOY voting "season" should start when the previous regular season ends; after all, when would any of the transactions between April 15 and July 1 be counted otherwise? So, McNair's 2022-23 EOY campaign featured:
  • Hired Mike Brown
  • Drafted Keegan Murray
  • Signed Malik Monk
  • Traded for Trey Lyles
  • Traded for Kevin Huerter
That's not bad.
I'm not disagreeing that they should, I'm just saying that because of that the voters are likely to extend it even further than that into 2-3 year cycles and award when the team turns a corner. Barring some kind of crazy movement. I have to believe Domas got lumped in to Monte even though it happened the year prior.

The history of the award is certainly an interesting one, for those who don't know the inaugural winner, I really don't want to spoil it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.