Monday will be crazy and other news, rumors, etc.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
just a thought but ive noticed that throughout this entire process the maloofs have been vary careful in not saying that they wont take the sac offer no matter what. sure they have trashed the ownership group, shown complete alliance with hansen the entire time, but they wont outright say they will never take a sac offer no matter what. even yesterday when windhorst reported the maloofs wouldnt take a sac offer they quickly backed off of that today(could mean that windhorst's source was from seattle and threw that in their).

I think they are mucking this up partly do to hating KJ but mostly for the 30m gift and potential 625m price tag from the hansen side, they are obligated to stick with hansen until the PSA(s) are voted down free them of any potential lawsuits at which i believe, and alot of other do as well, that the goofs will have no choice but to take sac's offer.
I thought I read a note where they were talking with Ranadive. At this point separating fact from rumor is difficult but they would be absolute fools if they weren't talking to him. It's Burkle they seemed to hate and who can dislike Vivek? :) I mean really. That's what makes his leadership so exciting.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Going pretty much how I thought it would. I told all my friends up here (Seattle), that all the raised bid is going to accomplish is burning bridges towards a Sonics team ever coming back.

Its like, really H/B? Really?!?! You're going to try to bully Stern and bribe a bunch of billionaires with a petty 4 million each (relo fees) after they already made up their minds to keep the Kings in Sac. REALLY!??!!?

I think H/B have been spending too much time with the Magoofs, stupidity is contagious.

Sucks for Seattle BB fans... But I keep asking, where the **** were H/B when the Sonics got stolen?

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
Sucks for Seattle BB fans... But I keep asking, where the **** were H/B when the Sonics got stolen?
Ballmer tried to make a $150 million offer to renovate KeyArena, but it was too late. He probably really wishes things were done differently, hence the financial hardball... all of this is just a drop in the bucket to his $15B net worth.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Ballmer tried to make a $150 million offer to renovate KeyArena, but it was too late. He probably really wishes things were done differently, hence the financial hardball... all of this is just a drop in the bucket to his $15B net worth.
$400 million or so back then would have gone a heck of a lot farther towards keeping the team than $800 million will now in trying to steal one. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
just a thought but ive noticed that throughout this entire process the maloofs have been vary careful in not saying that they wont take the sac offer no matter what. sure they have trashed the ownership group, shown complete alliance with hansen the entire time, but they wont outright say they will never take a sac offer no matter what. even yesterday when windhorst reported the maloofs wouldnt take a sac offer they quickly backed off of that today(could mean that windhorst's source was from seattle and threw that in their).

I think they are mucking this up partly do to hating KJ but mostly for the 30m gift and potential 625m price tag from the hansen side, they are obligated to stick with hansen until the PSA(s) are voted down free them of any potential lawsuits at which i believe, and alot of other do as well, that the goofs will have no choice but to take sac's offer.
There's a much simpler answer. The Maloofs are like the cheating pond-scum husband (or wife) who cheats on wife #1, gets a divorce, marries his mistress, cheats on her, gets a divorce, marries the new mistress, and then tries to convince the new wife he would never cheat on her (while he's busily setting up a late-night date with wife #1).

Of course the Maloofs will sell to the Sacramento group. They'll sell to anyone who's willing to buy from them. Luckily for us, it's Ranadive and not some other bozo who wants to move the team to North Dakota or something.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Since Ballmer is so freaking rich, he could have solved all of this by paying for and building a new arena in Seattle himself. nothHad he done that back when the Sonics left, they'd have their new team. There's no way Sacramento could have fought off a Hansen purchase offer if there was a brand-new arena just waiting for an anchor tenant. In fact, he might have been able to lure another team to the Pacific Northwest once the ground had broken on said arena.

Hey every one I having been lurking this site religiously for years and I just wan to say dont know what I would have done without Kingsfans Vf and your positive attitude. Thank you! I'm not trying to paint a bad picture and I HATE the Magoofs but if you were selling something on ebay and someone offered 100 million more and ebay said no wouldnt you be upset and refuse to sale too. I just think this will drag out between sac and the Ma goofs and it may get uglyier than it already is!

The fact that there is no Committee meeting scheduled for tomorrow, and nothing changed today, solidifies the stance that the recommendation is upheld unless I am missing something

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 7m
NBA relocation committee met today on future of Kings. Their recommendation to owners for vote next week remains to leave team in Sacramento

that'll do.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
brian windhorst‏@windhorstespn9m
nba relocation committee met today on future of kings. Their recommendation to owners for vote next week remains to leave team in sacramento

Ah, just got beat to it. Yep, GREAT news!

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 7m
NBA relocation committee met today on future of Kings. Their recommendation to owners for vote next week remains to leave team in Sacramento

that'll do.
great, except what's this about the vote being next week? haven't we been through enough waiting??

[/sigh]

Going pretty much how I thought it would. I told all my friends up here (Seattle), that all the raised bid is going to accomplish is burning bridges towards a Sonics team ever coming back.

Its like, really H/B? Really?!?! You're going to try to bully Stern and bribe a bunch of billionaires with a petty 4 million each (relo fees) after they already made up their minds to keep the Kings in Sac. REALLY!??!!?

I think H/B have been spending too much time with the Magoofs, stupidity is contagious.

Yea, I can feel your pain. I mean, Seattle does really deserve a team, but then again so do we....I really DO hope Seattle gets a team in the future.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Twitter:

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 18m

Folks. All I can say is, we MAY not be done today. MAY not be. The dominoes are starting to fall. May be tonight, tomorrow, but buckle up.

Yea, I can feel your pain. I mean, Seattle does really deserve a team, but then again so do we....I really DO hope Seattle gets a team in the future.
I used to feel that way. After witnessing their hypocrisy, arrogance and sense of entitlement, I hold them in the same regards as the Maloofs... *K THEM!

May Seattle NEVER get an NBA team again, and may OKC and the Kings make it to the conference finals EVERY YEAR (with the Kings winnning, of course!)...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
great, except what's this about the vote being next week? haven't we been through enough waiting??

[/sigh]
The relocation committee will present their formal recommendation to the BoG on Wednesday, if stuff doesn't happen before then. It will be 7 working days after that formal recommendation that the vote is to be taken. Always was the schedule, but it got lost in the shuffle once we heard about the 7-0 vote to recommend that the Kings stay.

For those wondering about the Windhorst tweet...

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 3m

Sorry, typo in last tweet. I forgot we were already in next week. NBA owners expected to vote on Kings relocation THIS week, Wednesday.

The relocation committee will present their formal recommendation to the BoG on Wednesday, if stuff doesn't happen before then. It will be 7 working days after that formal recommendation that the vote is to be taken. Always was the schedule, but it got lost in the shuffle once we heard about the 7-0 vote to recommend that the Kings stay.
I think this is inaccurate. I think Wednesday is the vote date, and has always been the vote date, and that Wednesday reflects the proper time that needs to elapse to allow a vote. I think Windhorst is wrong that the vote is next week.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey every one I having been lurking this site religiously for years and I just wan to say dont know what I would have done without Kingsfans Vf and your positive attitude. Thank you! I'm not trying to paint a bad picture and I HATE the Magoofs but if you were selling something on ebay and someone offered 100 million more and ebay said no wouldnt you be upset and refuse to sale too. I just think this will drag out between sac and the Ma goofs and it may get uglyier than it already is!
This isn't eBay. It's much more complicated than that.

1. ANY sale agreement is subject to and dependent upon the approval of the NBA.
2. Any attempt to relocate a team is subject to and dependent upon the approval of the NBA.
3. Hansen/Ballmer and the Maloofs made a purchase agreement for a specific amount of money that was binding to both of them subject to and dependent upon the approval of the NBA, and yet they did not seek the assistance or advice of the NBA, choosing instead to make back-room deals in an attempt to shut out other potential buyers.
4. The NBA, looking at the whole situation and having years of experience in dealing with the Maloofs, allowed the Sacramento group to put forth a counter-offer that would match the amount of money in the original purchase agreement AND keep the Kings in Sacramento.
5. Hansen, with about as much hutzpah as could be imagined, has tried to cry foul about the allowance of the Sacramento counter-offer, all the while trying to pretend he, Ballmer and the Maloofs weren't caught red-handed.
6. The relocation committee, whose approval is necessary for any relocation, has indicated they will be recommending to the Board of Governors that they reject the request to relocate the Kings to Seattle.
7. Once the relocation is formally rejected, a vote will be taken on the sale itself, unless Hansen/Ballmer see the hand-writing on the wall and stop the madness.
8. The Board of Governors will vote on the sale proposal (the original one). The raised bids are immaterial and are, more or less, merely attempts by Ballmer/Hansen to attempt to sway opinion. It's not going to work, because it's clear to all concerned that their real desire is for a team in Seattle, NOT Sacramento.
9. Once the Seattle purchase offer is dealt with, there is only one remaining offer on the table. That of the Vivek group. The Maloofs will either accept that offer or they face dire consequences. The exorbitant offers of Hansen/Ballmer are not relevant and they cannot be considered.

This is all almost over. It's not going to drag out further. Keep in mind one very important detail: The ONLY reason the Kings are being sold is because the Maloofs are broke, as in "can't afford to run the team for another year and may or may not have already been derelict in timely payments of bills such as employee paychecks" broke. They are not going to turn down the only remaining offer for cold, hard cash.

please stern, please take the team away from these morons. I hope Carmichael Dave is right that the dominos start to fall. Has there been any time where a team was stripped from the owners?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think this is inaccurate. I think Wednesday is the vote date, and has always been the vote date, and that Wednesday reflects the proper time that needs to elapse to allow a vote. I think Windhorst is wrong that the vote is next week.
Yeah, it looks as though they're trying to clarify. If appears the relocation vote is still Wednesday, but the sale vote - if held - will come after the finance committee recommendation.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Twitter:

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 25m

“@mcconnellj: @CarmichaelDave Does this mean all wrapped up for Sac side soon or more wrinkles coming?" All. Good. Things.

Brian Windhorst ‏@WindhorstESPN 18m

Sorry, typo in last tweet. I forgot we were already in next week. NBA owners expected to vote on Kings relocation THIS week, Wednesday.

Last edited: