Monday will be crazy and other news, rumors, etc.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
And some more.....

Carmichael Dave@CarmichaelDave2mOk. Since it seems to be the most popular worry/talking point, let's walk through "But but Maloofs own the team" garbage.

Carmichael Dave@CarmichaelDave2mThe Maloofs are broke. Not you and me broke, but NBA broke. The 30 mil got them thru the season. They had to have it.

Carmichael Dave@CarmichaelDave1mLet's say they decide to hold on. NBA will say go ahead! Any sponsor that helps them here will be instantly boycotted. No attendance.

Carmichael Dave@CarmichaelDave1mMeanwhile, they have to maintain a minimum of payroll, still a large amount. And hire game day staff. The team will be draining them.

Carmichael Dave@CarmichaelDave57sThey will know the team won't be allowed to move. They know it was a MIRACLE Vivek and co would overpay at 525 to KEEP THEM HERE.

Carmichael Dave@CarmichaelDave56s
It's the ultimate checkmate. You want to hold onto the team? I SWEAR TO GOD 10% of me WANTS that to happen. Like cash dripping away for them

Carmichael Dave@CarmichaelDave19sThey may be _______, but they aren't THAT stupid. They have 30 million reasons to support Hansen, and truly want the deal. But.....

Carmichael Dave@CarmichaelDave22sOnce Hansen and Ballmer are slapped away like flies and out of the picture, the Maloofs will quite simply have ZERO CHOICE BUT TO SELL.
And with that, I am off to bed. Early start for work tomorrow.

I don't think the Maloofs can argue damages in a suit because of not getting more than Seattle's original bid amount. Why? Because Hansen/Ballmer would never have offered more than their original bid without Sacramento in the picture. I'm tired and not a lawyer so I could be wrong.

i have a gut feeling that if the team remains the maloofs, they'll do anything to avoid selling to the sac group. I really think it is presumptuous of us to think that they'll do the logical thing and sell the team even if the team is draining them money. They already proved to be pathological liars whose logic is flawed. Who knows, maybe they'll dip into their wells fargo stock that they allegedly have. I really, REALLY, REALLY hope that the NBA would invoke the "the best interest of the league" clause (if it exists) and take over the team like MLB did the Dodgers. (even though I wished the mlb would let the dodgers die!!!) Just take the mess out of the maloof's hands!!!!!They already proved that they're toxic to the league. Why would the NBA be so stupid to give it back to those *******s if they can avoid to do so?

Last edited:
i have a gut feeling that if the team remains the maloof's, they'll do anything but sell to the sac group. I really think it's presumptuous of us to think that they'll do the logical thing and sell the team even if the team is draining them money. Who knows, maybe they'll dip into their wells fargo stock that they allegedly have. I really, REALLY, REALLY hope that the NBA would invoke the "the best interest of the league" clause (if it exists) and take over the team like MLB did the Dodgers. (even though I wished the mlb would let the dodgers die!!!) Just take the mess out of the maloof's hands. They already proved that they're toxic to the league. Why would the NBA be so stupid to give it back to those *******s if they can avoid to do so?
I diasgree. I think this is a great card for them to play NOW, while they are arrogant and stupid enough to think they can still sway the vote. Once actually faced with this reality, and realize they aren't making any kind of statement anymore by holding on to the team, they are just looking like even broker idiots, they will have no other choice...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
i have a gut feeling that if the team remains the maloofs, they'll do anything to avoid selling to the sac group. I really think it is presumptuous of us to think that they'll do the logical thing and sell the team even if the team is draining them money. They already proved to be pathological liars whose logic is flawed. Who knows, maybe they'll dip into their wells fargo stock that they allegedly have. I really, REALLY, REALLY hope that the NBA would invoke the "the best interest of the league" clause (if it exists) and take over the team like MLB did the Dodgers. (even though I wished the mlb would let the dodgers die!!!) Just take the mess out of the maloof's hands!!!!!They already proved that they're toxic to the league. Why would the NBA be so stupid to give it back to those *******s if they can avoid to do so?
The Maloofs do own a very large chunk of Wells Fargo stock. There have been rumors, however, that it was leveraged when the Maloofs were trying to hold on to the Palms and cannot be sold until the loans against it are repaid.

The Maloofs are not going to retain ownership of the Kings, regardless of what they're saying right now. Remember, they're not known for their loyalty to the truth. They cannot afford to retain ownership as they are about as close to broke as you can get without actually having to start selling off assets. ...Oh wait...

They have pissed off too many people, including other owners, to be allowed to remain in the exclusive club that is the NBA. It's not a matter of us thinking they'll do the logical thing and sell the team. It's about us KNOWiNG they have no other choice. The Kings will be sold, and it won't be to Hansen/Ballmer. They went all in on a dead hand.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't think the Maloofs can argue damages in a suit because of not getting more than Seattle's original bid amount. Why? Because Hansen/Ballmer would never have offered more than their original bid without Sacramento in the picture. I'm tired and not a lawyer so I could be wrong.
I agree. I think they established fair market value for the team when they signed and submitted the sales agreement to the NBA. They also established an intent to sell and exit the league. And the NBA is going to ensure that they exit the league with 65% of $525M, just as it would have happened had the league approved HBN. There are no damages, so there is no standing.

There are no other teams available until 2017 at the earliest. Expansion is the only option for Seattle before a new politician comes around and everything starts over again.

Expansion is on the table I bet, owners are being extremely stubborn by negating it. There is downside risk for litigation, there is only upside for Kings being sold to Ranadive and expansion team in Seattle.

Expansion in Seattle is win-win-win for everyone.
Expansion might have been on the table until you guys started disregarding the entire NBA process and are trying to force your way into the league, against league's wishes.

NBA is already sick of Maloofs and their antics and Stern said that once this is all over they will go back and address how it got to this and change processes go ensure they don't get Maloofed again. Why do you think they would want an ownership group that has shown a total disregard f or NBA contitution and processes? And please don't say money because of that was the case, Larry Ellison would have had NBA team a LONG LONG time ago!

i'm listening to sacramento 1140 online waiting for news , when do local shows start?

*edit* don geronimo started, no news yet :mad:

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I agree. I think they established fair market value for the team when they signed and submitted the sales agreement to the NBA. They also established an intent to sell and exit the league. And the NBA is going to ensure that they exit the league with 65% of $525M, just as it would have happened had the league approved HBN. There are no damages, so there is no standing.
Hey Capt. - Hope you don't mind - I copied/pasted your couple paragraphs above into a post I made in the CBS story linked on page 2 of this thread. I linked back to your post here with attribution, but you summarized it so nicely it saved me a lot of typing. :p

Edit: but it looks like the post was removed. Hmmm.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Hey Capt. - Hope you don't mind - I copied/pasted your couple paragraphs above into a post I made in the CBS story linked on page 2 of this thread. I linked back to your post here with attribution, but you summarized it so nicely it saved me a lot of typing. :p

Edit: but it looks like the post was removed. Hmmm.
I don't mind. Sounds like not minding might be a moot point...!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Here's an interesting tweet.

Dale Kasler ‏@dakasler 9m
Hmm. @SBJSBD reports NBA will start talks on new nat'l TV contract 3 yrs before it expires. NBA had said no expansion til new TV deal

Is this the beginning of some sort of appeasement from the league to B/H? Letting them know that they wouldn't have to wait till 2016 for the league to address expansion? Hmmm!

Hmm. @SBJSBD reports NBA will start talks on new nat'l TV contract 3 yrs before it expires. NBA had said no expansion til new TV deal

Is this the beginning of some sort of appeasement from the league to B/H? Letting them know that they wouldn't have to wait till 2016 for the league to address expansion? Hmmm!
I don't think they wait until the last minute to do the TV deal anyway. I don't think they would do the TV deal early with the way that HBN have been acting either.

EDIT: Let me rephrase. I don't think they would do the TV deal early to appease HBN unless they felt that the Maloofs team up with them (HBN) could do some damage via lawsuit.

When it's all said and done though that tweet might be right. The NBA forgives the amount of debt that was the difference between the latest bid and Viveks bid to let the Maloofs walk with equal money because let's face it, the bids on this franchise are about 150mil too high.

Last edited:

I don't see the NBA appreciating all the obvious arm twisting by H/B on this. I'm thinking this could be Lucy holding out the football.

And then there is this:
Tim Montemayor ‏@TheMontyShow 49m

My feeling after talking to sources is there will be no change in course by the #NBA ...there is sentiment against this "manipulation"

Last edited:
I don't see the NBA appreciating all the obvious arm twisting by H/B on this. I'm thinking this could be Lucy holding out the football.

And then there is this:
Tim Montemayor ‏@TheMontyShow 49m

My feeling after talking to sources is there will be no change in course by the #NBA ...there is sentiment against this "manipulation"
this certainly echoes kf.com's sense of the NBA's current stance, as well. man, it's such a rollercoaster. i guess we all just have to strap in and wait as this thing plays. and hopefully we'll have a much clearer sense of exactly how it will play out in the next few days...

And there's this:

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 1h
A perception v. reality addendum: to make assumption that Maloofs & Sacramento side are at stand-still without communication would be wrong

Speaking of Amick, solid, brief write-up on the latest strong arm tactics by H/B/N and the Maloofs

"Hansen and Ballmer keep ignoring [the ground rules set by Stern], keep thinking they can complete this end-around on Stern and convince the owners to buy into the bidding war that the commissioner has always refused to endorse. They're counting on the cash to rule the day, assuming that Stern's lame-duck status (he's retiring next February) means he's less influential than ever and that this singular event will spark the sort of power shift they need.

But nothing has changed about the principal factors involved here, and the notion that the league would approve the sale of the minority share to Hansen-Ballmer to take the toxic and rudderless route is about as unlikely as the idea of the Maloofs sitting courtside at Sleep Train Pavilion in Sacramento for the 2013-14 home opener."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-kings-seattle-chris-hansens-maloofs/2154685/

this certainly echoes kf.com's sense of the NBA's current stance, as well. man, it's such a rollercoaster. i guess we all just have to strap in and wait as this thing plays. and hopefully we'll have a much clearer sense of exactly how it will play out in the next few days...
I'm not as nervous as the recommendation meeting. I don't think this will be over though when the vote happens. I think this carries on for a few more months with the Maloofs against the NBA/Sac. Hansen and Ballchinboy should be out of the picture soon though.

I'm not as nervous as the recommendation meeting. I don't think this will be over though when the vote happens. I think this carries on for a few more months with the Maloofs against the NBA/Sac. Hansen and Ballchinboy should be out of the picture soon though.
haha. i think the exact opposite. in my opinion, the maloofs will eventually cave to the demands of their debt. they need to sell this team, and they need to sell it at the $525 million valuation, at least. they're sticking by hansen/ballmer until the very end, but when the nba votes down the sale to hansen/ballmer, the maloofs will relent to ranadive/mastrov/jacobs. they might kick and scream and ***** and moan as they do it, but when push comes to shove, they'll sign on the dotted line and pocket their nba-record franchise sale. hansen/ballmer, on the other hand, have positioned themselves for anti-trust, and i doubt they'll just slink away with their tails between their legs, given their behavior thus far. i fully expect them to bitterly challenge the league's final decision, whereas the maloofs will likely fade into obscurity...

Last edited:
haha. i think the exact opposite. in my opinion, the maloofs will eventually cave to the demands of their debt. they need to sell this team, and they need to sell it at the $525 million valuation, at least. they're sticking by hansen/ballmer until the very end, but when the nba votes down the sale to hansen/ballmer, the maloofs will relent to ranadive/mastrov/jacobs. they might kick and scream and ***** and moan as they do it, but when push comes to shove, they'll sign on the dotted line and pocket their nba-record franchise sale. hansen/ballmer, on the other hand, have positioned themselves for anti-trust, and i doubt they'll just slink away with their tails between their legs, given their behavior thus far. i fully expect them to bitterly challenge the league's final decision, whereas the maloofs will likely fade into obscurity...
Where they belong!!

What can they possibly sue for? And who can they sue? They tried to buy a team with the explicit requirement that it was relocated and they were voted down. There's nothing that they could sue for there. The highest bid doesn't even matter in this case because the team isn't relocating, end of story.

HBN's problem is that they're screwed as soon as the Clowns take sacramento's offer. What grounds would they have to sue for? The Clowns, by selling, basically recognize the league's authority to enforce its rules and processes and validate that the PSA was bound to league review and approval. They are made "whole" so there's no "loss". That is why the other Clowns (HBN) are pushing so hard, increasing their offer, and making backup offers. They know it's game over once the team is sold to someone else. And with their actions and attempted hostile takeover, it may be Game Over for Seattle for good.

What can they possibly sue for? And who can they sue? They tried to buy a team with the explicit requirement that it was relocated and they were voted down. There's nothing that they could sue for there. The highest bid doesn't even matter in this case because the team isn't relocating, end of story.
HBN's problem is that they're screwed as soon as the Clowns take sacramento's offer. What grounds would they have to sue for? The Clowns, by selling, basically recognize the league's authority to enforce its rules and processes and validate that the PSA was bound to league review and approval. They are made "whole" so there's no "loss". That is why the other Clowns (HBN) are pushing so hard, increasing their offer, and making backup offers. They know it's game over once the team is sold to someone else. And with their actions and attempted hostile takeover, it may be Game Over for Seattle for good.
hey, i didn't say HBN would successfully pursue a lawsuit. i just said they wouldn't go away quietly. they'll likely cause a ruckus on the way out, and may attempt to sue, on what grounds i do not know. ask sonicsrising about that...

;)

I find it somewhat amusing that Seattle is finally doing a fan rally 2 days before the final vote is scheduled. I don't think that they should not do it, just the timing is odd.

hey, i didn't say HBN would successfully pursue a lawsuit. i just said they wouldn't go away quietly. they'll likely cause a ruckus on the way out, and may attempt to sue, on what grounds i do not know. ask sonicsrising about that...

;)
I've been banned so many times there that it's getting to become a pain in the butt to keep registering. :) From what I read there though they aren't really explaining what they are suing for but they are going to sue for something!

5 min ago, Carmichael Dave tweeted, and I quote: :)

Last time we had the run of smiley tweets, it preceded a 7-0 relocation vote. Wonder what this one is all about. Eerily quiet before the storm.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I know we've all wondered what motivates Seattle. If THIS ARTICLE from the website of local radio station KJR is any indication, it appears what motives them is inferiority complexes, a lack of anything resembling class and a bully mentality.

I've criticized Ailene Voisin a lot over the years, but it's been about her take on things. What KJR is doing is reprehensible - but I guess it helps to educate all of us on just who we're dealing with. People who are suffering from a life with too little sunshine and waaaaaay too much caffeine.

Good grief.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
5 min ago, Carmichael Dave tweeted, and I quote: :)

Last time we had the run of smiley tweets, it preceded a 7-0 relocation vote. Wonder what this one is all about. Eerily quiet before the storm.
Considering what Dave has been tweeting all morning and how his show went today, if I'm a Seattle person that :)would give me a really bad feeling in the pit of my stomach!