[Game] Mavericks @ Kings 11/30 7PM PST 10PM EST

Rudy had the quietest 20 point game in awhile
The way it should be, much better as a 2nd option. I would say we played a pretty poor game and still won comfortably against a good team. Cousins is that good. If he was healthy all season we would be 3-4 games better and if Malone was coaching this team that would add another 2-3 games. Basically we would be a bit above .500 if both those variables are applied.

Cousins winshares per48 is near what Lebron was putting up last year. But is almost half of what Curry is doing this year. I feel like Cousin's defensive presence doesn't show as much as it should in advanced stats, as they are skewed alot by the total team effort.

Cousins winshares per48 is near what Lebron was putting up last year. But is almost half of what Curry is doing this year. I feel like Cousin's defensive presence doesn't show as much as it should in advanced stats, as they are skewed alot by the total team effort.
Sure they are. (Not updated yet after tonight's game)

Team Def Rating On Floor- 104.0
Team Def Rating Off Floor- 112.3

Team DRB% On Floor- 79.4%
Team DRB% Off Floor- 73.3%

Opponent eFG% On Floor- 51.7%
Opponent eFG% Off Floor- 53.2%

Pretty telling of his worth if you ask me.

RPM doesn't have him highly rated for some reason, but I'm thinking that's more sample size issue than it actually being right. Will be curious to check in on that later in the season. Think the same should happen for DBPM as the season goes on.

Sure they are. (Not updated yet after tonight's game)

Team Def Rating On Floor- 104.0
Team Def Rating Off Floor- 112.3

Team DRB% On Floor- 79.4%
Team DRB% Off Floor- 73.3%

Opponent eFG% On Floor- 51.7%
Opponent eFG% Off Floor- 53.2%

Pretty telling of his worth if you ask me.

RPM doesn't have him highly rated for some reason, but I'm thinking that's more sample size issue than it actually being right. Will be curious to check in on that later in the season. Think the same should happen for DBPM as the season goes on.
If we are looking at his production in comparison within our own team, then that is an excellent point. Great post.

Finally we played some defense.
Putting 4 shooters and Cuz on the floor, finally allowed Cuz to play inside. And playing him inside was needed, because his jumpshot was not there tonight. Good in game adjustment by Karl!
Curry showed everyone, what pride and grit on the defensive end look like. Rudy Gay might want to pay close attention to that. When your best perimeter defender is a small, weak guy, that barely made it into the NBA the wannabe All-Star SF, the former All-Star and All-Defensive PG, the sixth man of the year candidate PG and the SG with a championship ring should feel embarrassed.
This team is able to defend. Just put in the effort every night.
Willie looked improved out there.

Though I'm glad for the win, Dallas missed ALOT of open looks. The defense didn't play as well as the stats say. They are getting killed on the switches and certain players get lost on the switches. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, lol.
Indeed. But as far as I remember the same happened in our winning stretch under Malone. We were hustling on the defensive end and teams were missing more threes than usual.
I even remember Brick posting something like "if you chase guys around constantly, they will lose their rythm and miss shots they usually make".
So when we feel like Malone's stint was the last time we played solid D, we might take this into consideration.
Of course one game, doesn't mean anything has changed for the Kings. But it's a start.

Entity

Hall of Famer
So Dallas went super small and we kept cousins in and it worked to our advantage because cousins dominated. Now imagine if you kept two bigs on the floor. Maybe Karl saw that tonight. If cousins wasn't the franchise I bet Karl would have went super small too

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The Warriors have gotton lucky this year so far, but making a future statement concerning Bogut seems like wishful thinking.
History shows us that Bogut has held Cousins in check and made him shoot terrible percentages. What is Cousins record versus the Warriors since acquiring Bogut?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
History shows us that Bogut has held Cousins in check and made him shoot terrible percentages. What is Cousins record versus the Warriors since acquiring Bogut?
Not good, but as I mentioned this offseason, that seemed to have changed last year, with Cuz having some big games against them -- including being on his way to a monster in that game where Klay suddenly nuked us and made it all irrelevant.

And with the new 3pt/drive tactics all bets are off anyway. Draymond might be the more appropriate guy to try to guard Cuz doing those things.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Bogut relies on his dirty tactics to get at Cuz. I remember a game where he just straight up elbowed cousins in the face coming down the floor and nothing was called at all. I wonder how Cousins will play this time.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Not good, but as I mentioned this offseason, that seemed to have changed last year, with Cuz having some big games against them -- including being on his way to a monster in that game where Klay suddenly nuked us and made it all irrelevant.

And with the new 3pt/drive tactics all bets are off anyway. Draymond might be the more appropriate guy to try to guard Cuz doing those things.
In that case let's hope he punishes him in the post.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Bogut relies on his dirty tactics to get at Cuz. I remember a game where he just straight up elbowed cousins in the face coming down the floor and nothing was called at all. I wonder how Cousins will play this time.
All it comes down to is mind games with the oppositions. They know Cousins is a ticking time bomb and could go off any minute he is on the court so they use it as a tactic, which they should. All superstars need to be roughed up and shown they aren't going to just allow them to dominate them. It's how he handles it that separates him from a winner and loser IMO.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Honestly, I do not like Bogut and I do not like Draymond Green. I wouldn't mind seeing Cousins put both of them on their asses

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So a quick summary reveals:

We didn't really win, the Mavericks lost.
We were just lucky the Mavs missed so many shots.
Seth Curry should start.
No matter if we win or lose, George Karl is always wrong ... or would have been wrong except that he did the right thing.

Got it...

:p

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So a quick summary reveals:

We didn't really win, the Mavericks lost.
We were just lucky the Mavs missed so many shots.
Seth Curry should start.
No matter if we win or lose, George Karl is always wrong ... or would have been wrong except that he did the right thing.

Got it...

:p
I'm going to go with "almost certainly wrong-- until proven otherwise" :)