Matt Barnes thank you

Langston, Tyreke, Lawson were all better waive options than Matt just because teams make it a specific point to attack whichever Guard we play out of position at the 3.
They had to waive someone to fit the new guys, so waiving Galloway or Evans wasn't an option. Lawson was showing great strides in furthering WCS's development and was one of only two PGs on the roster, waiving him would not make any sense.

They had to waive someone to fit the new guys, so waiving Galloway or Evans wasn't an option. Lawson was showing great strides in furthering WCS's development and was one of only two PGs on the roster, waiving him would not make any sense.
The first part makes sense but IMO at this point Lawson has a good chance of not being back next year anyway. I see Tyreke and Galloway as basically point guards coming in and even then we still have 1 on the roster whereas we have zero small forwards.

I don't think Matt had the least value to the Kings, he just happened to be the oldest by five years. He is a "here and now" value not a future value. A simple, legimate decision. Hope he continues to do well with the Warriors.

The first part makes sense but IMO at this point Lawson has a good chance of not being back next year anyway. I see Tyreke and Galloway as basically point guards coming in and even then we still have 1 on the roster whereas we have zero small forwards.
In terms of his ability to defend, Afflalo is more of a SF than SG at this point, and Temple is ok there. Even Evans is fine there, too.

As for Lawson, again, the key to the season now is developing the youth. To the extent he can provide steady PG play to set up and work with guys like WCS, then he was worth keeping around.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Question, does Matt's warriors salary come off what kings owe him or off the salary cap?
Perhaps, but not much. We get back one half of whatever he makes above league one-year-vet minimum. I haven't see contract details, but presumably the Warriors are going to sign him for the vet minimum, which is a bit more than the one-year-vet minimum. So take the difference between the two of those salaries, pro-rate it for two months, take half of that, and that's the salary relief we get. But I don't believe that comes off of the salary cap.

With the not win now mode the Kings are in and their current cap situation, I suspect the Kings will be looking to add salary to get to the floor. Barnes salary is possibly irrelevant.