Matt Barnes thank you

I never apologized or flip-flopped for liking Matt Barnes this year. Almost bought a #22 (that and #17 are the only jersey numbers I ever considered).

Hope you get picked up by a better organization than ours. Thank you for leaving it all on the floor every night.

He was the best bench player we have had in years and Temple put him in his top 3 teammates all time yeah he was a bonehead but he always gave it his all on the court. Oh and he was another guy that actually WANTED to be here. Thanks Matt now go help a contender!

Thanks Matt.

You played with heart and I'm sure coach joeger is pissed you are gone.

Another bone head move by Vlade. Waive the guy who has another year and $6 million left on his contract, instead of someone like Afflalo, who won't be back next year anyways.

Did we at least "stretch" his salary on this move or is that not available anymore?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Your wreckless play was sometimes really really bad, but I'd rather watch that than the sleepwalking we're gonna see in the upcoming post-DMC hangover.

Was always a fan of sactowns finest. Played with fire and passion and heart. we should really give him more credit.

As much as he may have lost some games for us he was the only one that orchestrated and understood Joergers offense.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Waive the guy who has another year and $6 million left on his contract, instead of someone like Afflalo, who won't be back next year anyways.

Did we at least "stretch" his salary on this move or is that not available anymore?
That's not clear. There are actually two different "stretches" - one for the actual money paid and one for the salary cap hit. The stretch for actual money paid is obligatory - we have to pay out next year's salary to Barnes over three years. Apparently, we have the option of deciding whether to stretch his salary cap hit or to take it all in one year. Frankly, I think taking it all in one year is the better move - I kind of doubt that we're going to be spending up to the cap next year anyway.

Thanks for what? Thanks for nothing! Barnes helped to end Boogie's career in Sacramento IMHO. Of course a man has to take responsibility for his actions, but you have a guy wholly convinced he got a bad rap over course of his career for his on and off court transgressions. He imparted this mindset onto Boogie. It didn't help improve his relationship with refs with faster suspension than any player in the league history.

Advanced analytics say Barnes is done. How badly did SAC want to get rid of this guy? He's owed $6.4 million next year! If he's a leader in the locker room as someone want to contend, why would his leadership not be valued even if he rides the bench? The biggest (and basically only) problem I had with Joeger is his inexplicable love affair with Barnes. I said and repeat if Barnes was waived NO team in the NBA would want him. I may be wrong but I stand by this.

I think Barnes has played his last NBA game, with last "shining accomplishment" playing a role in running the most dominant big man out of town. The idea that fans want to thank him for (1) his performance or (2) enabling of the behavior to continue to run amok that led giving away Boogie for $0.25 on the dollar is incredulous. Want to know who should be thanking Matt Barnes? The Pelican fans. For enabling their team to acquire Boogie for a relative pittance.

Last edited:
It seems the Warriors are going to sign Matt because of the Durant injury. Shouldn't they be afraid of this lockerroom cancer? He will hurt their culture....

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/836823272100671488
Not sure if you're serious about the snide, but it's a whole different situation when you're not looked upon for veteran stability or to build and establish culture. A team that barely wins 30 games for a decade needs veteran leadership a lot more than a perennial contender, surely you recognise that.

Not sure if you're serious about the snide, but it's a whole different situation when you're not looked upon for veteran stability or to build and establish culture. A team that barely wins 30 games for a decade needs veteran leadership a lot more than a perennial contender, surely you recognise that.
Surely you recognized, that our coach has called Matt our leader and the main catalysator for the "if you go down,always go down fighting" attitude the Kings had this season?
The one big change for the Kings this season was the never quit attitude we had in place. You don't waive Matt Barnes, because of culture or veteran leadership, you waive him, because of him not being a nice person, not being politically correct and because you have an absurd fear for the public reputation of your franchise.
While the Kings talk culture, the Warriors know, that fiery, competitive, hard nosed guys have their benefits, even when they sometimes look like douchebags off the court like Barnes.

Surely you recognized, that our coach has called Matt our leader and the main catalysator for the "if you go down,always go down fighting" attitude the Kings had this season?
The one big change for the Kings this season was the never quit attitude we had in place. You don't waive Matt Barnes, because of culture or veteran leadership, you waive him, because of him not being a nice person, not being politically correct and because you have an absurd fear for the public reputation of your franchise.
While the Kings talk culture, the Warriors know, that fiery, competitive, hard nosed guys have their benefits, even when they sometimes look like douchebags off the court like Barnes.
Or you waive him to force the coach's hand. As long as he was on the team he was going to play. And it's not management's place to TELL the coach who to play.

That's not clear. There are actually two different "stretches" - one for the actual money paid and one for the salary cap hit. The stretch for actual money paid is obligatory - we have to pay out next year's salary to Barnes over three years. Apparently, we have the option of deciding whether to stretch his salary cap hit or to take it all in one year. Frankly, I think taking it all in one year is the better move - I kind of doubt that we're going to be spending up to the cap next year anyway.
I think you are right in that the Kings will have so many players on Rookie deals paying Matt next will will help reach the cap.

Afflalo has a small buy-out option for the team next year. Trade option around draft time. Who else without potential value are you going to get rid off?
Langston, Tyreke, Lawson were all better waive options than Matt just because teams make it a specific point to attack whichever Guard we play out of position at the 3.