Letting Rondo walk

What happens with Rondo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can't wait? As in you can't wait for a scenario in which the Kings lose/struggle? It's statements like these that weed out the real Kings fans in my opinion. The ones who care more about being right than our team playing well.

I'd prefer us moving on from Rondo, but if we resign him, I'm not going to be rooting for him to fail. I'm going to hope he proves me wrong and the team is successful because of him.
lol you're so anxious to judge that you don't have your facts right at all.

I've constantly stuck up for Collison while many on this board destroyed him over every error - real or perceived. You couldn't be more wrong about my motivations - I was just commenting on the fact that the fans on this very board have been exceedingly hard on Collison in game threads and grade threads.

I like Collison very very much and always have and my game/grade thread comments prove it. I just think the people in the "start Collison - ditch Rondo" camp have short memories for how they crucified him so often the last couple years.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can see the arguments both ways for letting Rondo walk or re-signing him.

But I think if he's brought back then some significant trades must be made and Collison and/or Gay likely need to be moved to create a more balanced roster.

Because it makes very, very little sense to me to give a four year deal to a 30 year old PG that starts in the $15 million range just to keep together a roster that won 33 games.

Rondo was terrible defensively, still isn't a reliable shooter and forces a team's offense to operate in a particular way. If you commit to him then you need to shape the roster in a way that compliments his strengths and hides his weaknesses.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I can see the arguments both ways for letting Rondo walk or re-signing him.

But I think if he's brought back then some significant trades must be made and Collison and/or Gay likely need to be moved to create a more balanced roster.

Because it makes very, very little sense to me to give a four year deal to a 30 year old PG that starts in the $15 million range just to keep together a roster that won 33 games.

Rondo was terrible defensively, still isn't a reliable shooter and forces a team's offense to operate in a particular way. If you commit to him then you need to shape the roster in a way that compliments his strengths and hides his weaknesses.
I agree there need to be changes, but bringing back just the top 5 players from a 33 win team isn't a bad place to start is it? There's been a lot of focus on re-shaping the core of the team but just 1 year ago Gay and Cousins looked like they had great chemistry playing on Team USA together and then in Michael Malone's system and this year Rondo and Cousins were fast friends who had great chemistry on the court. I think if we bring back Rondo, Gay, Cousins, Casspi, and Cauley-Stein and then re-shape the rest of the roster with an emphasis on defense we should have enough new blood to expect a winning season while also maintaining some consistency in the locker room. I still think Shumpert would be a great target for our SG spot. He went to Israel with DeMarcus and Omri last summer so it seems like there's a start to some good team chemistry there and he's one of the best defensive guards in the league. Then we just need to find another big, a couple wings, and a backup PG with our cap space and draft pick.

And I don't think Rondo is so limited that you need to tailor the team to his strengths. He's not a go-to scorer and he's not going to hit a lot of pull-up jumpers but is that the only way to play PG anymore? Here's what doesn't make sense to me -- Mike Conley wasn't really any better this season than Darren Collison was for us last season. He's going to turn 29 before the 2016-2017 season begins. Are you okay offering him $15 million a year at age 29 but not okay offering Rondo $15 million a year at age 30? Other than making 16 more threes and 104 more free throws last season, I don't see a big argument for Conley over Rondo -- who had 497 more assists, 271 more rebounds, and 74 more steals. Even defensive rating favors Rondo even though he played on the worst defensive team in the league this season and Conley played on an average one. Perception doesn't seem to match reality here.

And I don't think Rondo is so limited that you need to tailor the team to his strengths. He's not a go-to scorer and he's not going to hit a lot of pull-up jumpers but is that the only way to play PG anymore? Here's what doesn't make sense to me -- Mike Conley wasn't really any better this season than Darren Collison was for us last season. He's going to turn 29 before the 2016-2017 season begins. Are you okay offering him $15 million a year at age 29 but not okay offering Rondo $15 million a year at age 30? Other than making 16 more threes and 104 more free throws last season, I don't see a big argument for Conley over Rondo -- who had 497 more assists, 271 more rebounds, and 74 more steals. Even defensive rating favors Rondo even though he played on the worst defensive team in the league this season and Conley played on an average one. Perception doesn't seem to match reality here.
Of course Rondo limits you- he has to have the ball in his hands, he isn't a real scoring/shooting threat, doesn't defend and shoots FT like he's Drummond.

It will be really hard to build a good offense with passing around Rondo, yes I said passing, with Rondo we are 4th from last in passes made in the league (only OKC, Detroit and the Lakers are worse) and that's before we take into account our crazy pace...

Rondo is as ball-dominant as they come- only one player in the entire league got more touches than Rondo this year (John Wall).

Defensive rating doesn't favor Rondo, it favors Conley:
Conley's DefRtg- 103.4
Rondo's DefRtg- 106.8

And a better OffRtg:
Conley- 105.1
Rondo- 103.3

Conley also have a higher PER at 19.45 to Rondo's 16.92.

Has the 6th highest RPM amongst PG's in the league +2.75 to Rondo's -0.24 (better than Rondo both in ORPM and DRPM).

Has 53.8 TS% to Rondo's 50.6 TS%.

And he is a +1.1 for his team while Rondo is -2.2.

But if you only count assist totals Rondo is clearly better.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree there need to be changes, but bringing back just the top 5 players from a 33 win team isn't a bad place to start is it? There's been a lot of focus on re-shaping the core of the team but just 1 year ago Gay and Cousins looked like they had great chemistry playing on Team USA together and then in Michael Malone's system and this year Rondo and Cousins were fast friends who had great chemistry on the court. I think if we bring back Rondo, Gay, Cousins, Casspi, and Cauley-Stein and then re-shape the rest of the roster with an emphasis on defense we should have enough new blood to expect a winning season while also maintaining some consistency in the locker room. I still think Shumpert would be a great target for our SG spot. He went to Israel with DeMarcus and Omri last summer so it seems like there's a start to some good team chemistry there and he's one of the best defensive guards in the league. Then we just need to find another big, a couple wings, and a backup PG with our cap space and draft pick.

I think Conley will get more than $15 million. Maybe $20 million per. And while I don't want the Kings to go after him the argument for him over Rondo would be that Conley is a good defender and Rondo is a poor defender who rarely gives good effort on that end of the floor.

I'm not convinced that Rondo/Gay/Cousins can be a good core as they are ball dominant players. And those three plus WCS is likely going to mean trouble with spacing the floor and moving the ball.

But beyond that, if Cousins, Gay, Cauley-Stein, Rondo and Casspi all return there's not a lot of assets left to upgrade the roster.

The Kings would have around $10 million in caproom (which isn't going to stretch very far this offseason) the #8 pick and the following players as trade bait;

Collison
Koufos
McLemore
Belinelli
Butler*
Anderson*

*assuming they don't opt out.

I think we can agree that Anderson and Butler aren't going to bring back anything in trade. Any one for one trade for Shumpert would eat further into caproom, reducing it to $4-8 million depending on who was traded. A two for one deal creates another roster spot that needs to be filled.

Of course, while I like Shumpert's defense he a sub 30% free throw shooter. Adding him would mean maybe the worst outside shooting starting five in the NBA.

There are scenarios where I could see the Kings improving the team this way but it would take very willing trade partners and the margin for error would be minuscule.

Maybe I'll work up a plausible scenario later. Sounds like a fun puzzle.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Staff member
Of course Rondo limits you- he has to have the ball in his hands, he isn't a real scoring/shooting threat, doesn't defend and shoots FT like he's Drummond.

It will be really hard to build a good offense with passing around Rondo, yes I said passing, with Rondo we are 4th from last in passes made in the league (only OKC, Detroit and the Lakers are worse) and that's before we take into account our crazy pace...

Rondo is as ball-dominant as they come- only one player in the entire league got more touches than Rondo this year (John Wall).

Defensive rating doesn't favor Rondo, it favors Conley:
Conley's DefRtg- 103.4
Rondo's DefRtg- 106.8

And a better OffRtg:
Conley- 105.1
Rondo- 103.3

Conley also have a higher PER at 19.45 to Rondo's 16.92.

Has the 6th highest RPM amongst PG's in the league +2.75 to Rondo's -0.24 (better than Rondo both in ORPM and DRPM).

Has 53.8 TS% to Rondo's 50.6 TS%.

And he is a +1.1 for his team while Rondo is -2.2.

But if you only count assist totals Rondo is clearly better.
That's a whole pile of numbers that mean nothing to me. For one thing, where are you getting your defensive rating stats from? basketball-reference.com has Rondo at 107 last season and Conley at 110. It's such a team dependent stat anyway that I only use basketball-reference's numbers for defensive rating because I've figured out a system that I trust over the course of the last 5 or 6 years. I normalize it based on the team average. Because the range on Sacramento last season was 107 (Cousins) to 113 (Belinelli) and the range on Memphis last season was 105 (Tony Allen) to 111 (Courtney Lee) that tells me Rondo's 107 is actually slightly better than a 107 rating would be on Memphis because the team average is worse.

Offensive rating is always going to be better for players with a higher TS% but I don't think that means a player is objectively better on offense. So if Mike Conley was at 115 last season and Rondo was at 105 (again, using basketball-reference.com -- there are different formulas out there so you really do have to specify what your source is) that could mean that Conley is 10 points better over the course of a game but Rondo has 12 assists per 36 min and Conley has 7 so that's at least 10 points right there that are easily accounted for.

PER and TS% are overused to the point of absurdity. DeAndre Jordan had a PER of 20.6 this season and 21 the season before. What is that really telling us other than he shot 70% from the floor on alley-oops and putbacks and doesn't handle the ball enough to incur turnovers? TS% is for lazy people who want one number to compare people by. It's useless to me as a shooting stat because it's so dependent on free throw shooting. I'm far more interested in comparing shotcharts and shooting percentages.

Here's Mike Conley's and Rajon Rondo's shotcharts side by side:

Take a close look at those splits. From three point range it's very close. Rondo was 62 for 168 overall according to nba.com which is 36.9%. Conley was 78 for 213 overall according to nba.com which is 36.6%. Conley made twice as many from straightaway but shot twice as many from there too. He was about 4% better from the left corner and about 3% better from straightaway and the left wing but Rondo was 8% better from the right corner and about the same from the right wing. Even with a miserable 6 for 21 on straightaway threes, Rondo still finished with a better overall average than Conley.

Then look inside the arc. Conley does most of this damage here with the pull up jumper near the free throw line but Rondo was significantly more effective scoring the ball near the basket with 103 more makes there at 5% better accuracy over the course of the season. And if you look at the actual splits for the other 7 zones on the floor, we're talking about 2 or 3 shots separating them. The percentages look a lot different with such small sample sizes, every miss is exaggerated. Overall if you break them down into mid-range and close-range you've got 94 for 237 (39.6%) for Conley and 68 for 193 (35.2%) for Rondo in the mid-range and 122 for 244 (50.0%) for Conley near the basket and 225 for 407 (55.3%) for Rondo near the basket. Rondo is trying to get all the way to the basket to score while Conley is happy to pull up for a mid-range jumper. Both of them are effective scoring the ball in their spots but Rondo is taking higher percentage shots -- 163 more shots near the basket at 55.3% vs. Conley taking 44 more in the mid-range at 39.6%. That's why Rondo's shooting % on 2pt fgs (48.8%) was also better than Conley's (44.9%).

Real Plus Minus is a joke. That's ESPN's proprietary stat that they won't even disclose the formula for. If that's your basis for offering a guy a huge contract, heaven help you because you're trading with snake oil.

And as for the contention that Rondo stops ball movement -- he's a gd point guard! Oh my god this drive's me so crazy. The whole role of the point guard is to run the offense to get players easy baskets. That Rondo has the ball in his hands a lot would be a problem if he also had an astronomically high usage rate but that's not the case. Only Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook had higher assist % this season. We were 26th in the league in assists per game a year ago and tied for 3rd this season so why should I care that our offense involved less passing? That sounds to me like 25 other teams are throwing the ball around for 24 seconds and coming up with worse shots out of it than we are. Did Steve Nash dominate the ball in Phoenix? You're damn right he did, because he was supposed to. This is not a bad thing! The marks of a quality offense are shooting percentage and assisted baskets. We were 7th and 3rd in those categories this season and 13th and 26th last season.

hrdboild

Staff member
I think Conley will get more than $15 million. Maybe $20 million per. And while I don't want the Kings to go after him the argument for him over Rondo would be that Conley is a good defender and Rondo is a poor defender who rarely gives good effort on that end of the floor.

I'm not convinced that Rondo/Gay/Cousins can be a good core as they are ball dominant players. And those three plus WCS is likely going to mean trouble with spacing the floor and moving the ball.

But beyond that, if Cousins, Gay, Cauley-Stein, Rondo and Casspi all return there's not a lot of assets left to upgrade the roster.

The Kings would have around $10 million in caproom (which isn't going to stretch very far this offseason) the #8 pick and the following players as trade bait;

Collison
Koufos
McLemore
Belinelli
Butler*
Anderson*

*assuming they don't opt out.

I think we can agree that Anderson and Butler aren't going to bring back anything in trade. Any one for one trade for Shumpert would eat further into caproom, reducing it to $4-8 million depending on who was traded. A two for one deal creates another roster spot that needs to be filled.

Of course, while I like Shumpert's defense he a sub 30% free throw shooter. Adding him would mean maybe the worst outside shooting starting five in the NBA.

There are scenarios where I could see the Kings improving the team this way but it would take very willing trade partners and the margin for error would be minuscule.

Maybe I'll work up a plausible scenario later. Sounds like a fun puzzle.
If your only argument for Conley over Rondo is defense, than you're on very shaky ground. Defensive rating, Defensive box plus minus, and DWS say Rondo has been better than Conley last season and over the course of his career. DReb% and Stl% say Rondo has been much better than Conley. So you're basically putting the eye test last season on one side of the ledger and 9 seasons worth of statistical data on the other and picking the eye test.

And I'll help you with the numbers. Cousins (15.7) Gay (13.3) Cauley-Stein (3.5) Casspi (3) and Rondo starting at 15 gives you 50.5 million. We have to add another million for Wayne Ellington's buyout and 2.5 million for the #8 pick so that's 54 million and 6 players out of a 92 million dollar cap. Trade assets are McLemore (4) Collison (5.2) Belinelli (6.3) and Koufos (8). We already had a trade on the table that was Koufos and McLemore for Shumpert (9.7). If we make that trade we now have 7 players and we're up to 64 million out of 92. So all we have to do is trade Collison and Belinelli for a $3 million player and we have enough cap space to offer a near max contract to somebody -- something in the 20 million a year range. Is that possible? I think so. Considering that nearly every team in the league will suddenly be way under the salary cap, with cash considerations going out and second round picks coming back you should be able to subtract either one without taking much back in salary. Then you can add veterans or rookies on minimum deals for the last 3 spots on the bench (these guys aren't going to play anyway) and sign 1 veteran with the room exception to fill out the rotation.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Staff member
What does that have to do with ESPN's RPM stat? I don't need an economics professor to tell me it's nonsense, I figured it out myself. He's quoted in that article but most of this is common sense. If you can't explain what a stat is actually measuring, than what good is it? I just thought that essay was a decent writeup that someone else made which saves me the trouble of typing this all out again or trying to find the last post where I wrote about it. Do a google search for real plus minus and you'll find a lot of other people calling it out as bunk too.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your only argument for Conley over Rondo is defense, than you're on very shaky ground. Defensive rating, Defensive box plus minus, and DWS say Rondo has been better than Conley over the course of his career. DReb% and Stl% say Rondo has been much better than Conley. So you're basically putting the eye test last season on one side of the ledger and 9 seasons worth of statistical data on the other and picking the former.

And I'll help you with the numbers. Cousins (15.7) Gay (13.3) Cauley-Stein (3.5) Casspi (3) and Rondo starting at 15 gives you 50.5 million. We have to add another million for Wayne Ellington's buyout and 2.5 million for the #8 pick so that's 54 million and 6 players out of a 92 million dollar cap. Trade assets are McLemore (4) Collison (5.2) Belinelli (6.3) and Koufos (8). We already had a trade on the table that was Koufos and McLemore for Shumpert (9.7). If we make that trade we now have 7 players and we're up to 64 million out of 92. So all we have to do is trade Collison and Belinelli for a $3 million player and we have enough cap space to offer a near max contract to somebody -- something in the 20 million a year range. Is that possible? I think so. Considering that nearly every team in the league will suddenly be way under the salary cap, with cash considerations going out and second round picks coming back you should be able to subtract either one without taking much back in salary.
I show Boogie's salary being significantly higher but otherwise I have similar numbers.

But (1) comparing Rondo's career stats to Conley's is disingenuous. By that logic Tim Duncan should be the top free agent on the market and due for a max contract. The stats and the eye test show Rondo was awful defensively last season. And very little of that was on Karl. Curry came in and played better defense despite lacking Rondo's tools. Rajon just didn't seem to put in the effort and that's troubling to me.

(2) Collison surely has some trade value but I'm not sure any team takes both he and Belinelli in a salary dump, taking $11.5 million and sending back just $3 million. When every team has caproom why would a team hamstring themselves for a mediocre starting PG/very good backup PG with just one year left on his contract and an unathletic shooter coming off his worst season to help the Kings clear capspace? Why not just see if you can get a Collison level backup PG for $8.5 million?

(3) I still don't see how Shumpert as the starting PG works in a lineup with Rondo/Gay/Cauley-Stein/Cousins. A sub 30% outside shooter alongside other poor outside shooters? The Kings would look like a less talented version of the Grizzlies.

hrdboild

Staff member
I show Boogie's salary being significantly higher but otherwise I have similar numbers.

But (1) comparing Rondo's career stats to Conley's is disingenuous. By that logic Tim Duncan should be the top free agent on the market and due for a max contract. The stats and the eye test show Rondo was awful defensively last season. And very little of that was on Karl. Curry came in and played better defense despite lacking Rondo's tools. Rajon just didn't seem to put in the effort and that's troubling to me.

(2) Collison surely has some trade value but I'm not sure any team takes both he and Belinelli in a salary dump, taking $11.5 million and sending back just $3 million. When every team has caproom why would a team hamstring themselves for a mediocre starting PG/very good backup PG with just one year left on his contract and an unathletic shooter coming off his worst season to help the Kings clear capspace? Why not just see if you can get a Collison level backup PG for $8.5 million?

(3) I still don't see how Shumpert as the starting PG works in a lineup with Rondo/Gay/Cauley-Stein/Cousins. A sub 30% outside shooter alongside other poor outside shooters? The Kings would look like a less talented version of the Grizzlies.
It's not disingenuous. I was intending to point out (quite sincerely I might add :) ) that based on statistical evidence, at no point in his career has Conley been better than Rondo as a defender. I edited it to clarify after you replied, but the stats say he was better this season too. Whether you prefer defensive rating, DBPM, or DWS the stats all say Rondo was better than Conley on defense this season. So it's really just the eye test which says otherwise and my eye test disagrees (as I've tried to explain, to no avail). And if Rondo was statistically better on defense in a season where so many people think he was coasting or not trying, how much better would he be under a defensive coach next year? The stats also say he was better from 3pt range, better on 2pt fgs, and substantially better on assists, rebounds, and steals. On the negative side, he's one year older.

You misunderstood me about Collison and Belinelli. I was saying we trade one of them for a $3 million player and dump the other one for a useless second round pick. We can send enough cash out (about 3.4 million I think) to entice somebody. Collison at 5.2 million this season is an elite backup PG and believe it or not, a lot of playoff teams are in the market for exactly that. And for teams with a lot of salary committed already, trading for one on a below-market deal (relative to this year's free agent class) giving up only a rarely used rotation player is probably exactly what they're looking for. Belinelli is a little trickier but that's where the cash considerations come in. We'll give you a 38% career marksman looking for a bounceback year and 3 million dollars for absolutely nothing in return! So instead of scouring the market for a shooter you're getting one at a 50% discount and no prolonged bidding war.

Shumpert would be the starting SG, but I think that was just a typo on your part? Nobody would be mistaking us for Golden State, that's for sure, but I don't think we'd be the worst shooting team by a long shot. Cousins is suddenly a plus shooter at the Center position for one thing. Gay isn't an elite shooter but he shot 36% last season which is league average. Shumpert is wildly inconsistent but he does have a full season shooting 40% from three under his belt already. As the 4th or 5th option he'd be getting much better looks so he could creep back up into respectable range. Rondo was at 37% this season which is actually above average for a PG position which is currently stuffed with a lot of guys who shoot like crazy and don't make as many as they think they can (Lillard, Westbrook, Irving, Thomas, Bledsoe, etc.) I never said Cauley-Stein would be a starter. I'd probably make him the third big with Rondo, Shumpert, and Gay on the perimeter and try to bring in a big who can shoot with my cap space -- remember I said I had enough there to give $20 million a year to somebody, maybe a little more if Rondo costs less than $15 million.

I'll take you up on the less talented version of the Grizzlies challenge though. Remember that's a team that got to the Western Conference Finals 3 years ago. Cousins is not less-talented than Marc Gasol. Rajon Rondo is not less talented than Mike Conley. Shumpert actually had a better defensive rating and DBPM than Tony Allen this year and he's not a complete liability on offense so that's a win. Rudy Gay is an upgrade over Jeff Green or old Tayshaun Prince/Vince Carter/Matt Barnes. So that just leaves whoever we sign at PF to compare to Zach Randolph. Surely with $20 million dollars we can find a PF who's not significantly worse than Zach Randolph. Off the bench we have a true marksman in Omri Casspi, a defensive swiss army knife in Willie Cauley-Stein, whoever we draft at #8 this year, whoever we trade Collison/Belinelli for, and some unknown veteran signing. Wouldn't that makes us the more talented version of the Memphis Grizzlies?

K

KingMilz

from this board, and from twitter... seems we don't deserve Rondo. I like him very much and was glad we had him last year and I hope to see what one more year with him - and a committed coaching staff - will bring.

but I'm in a small minority I guess. for me, I would adapt my defensive approach to let Rondo cheat and gamble when he's on the floor, and enjoy the rewards on offense (Kings scored hella points last year).

But it sounds like not meant to be.

Can't wait to see kingsfans.com just KILLING Collison next season every time he misses a clutch shot or turns it over in crunch time like y'all did last year.

edit: with that all said - if Vlade & Dave don't want him, then I'm good with that too. I'm all in with the org - starting at Vlade & Dave - they know hoops better than I
We really don't he did nothing but make Boston (post big 3)/Mavs worse and he's come here in a contract year not playing defense and playing for triple doubles rather than what actually matters. Kings fans deserve a team that competes every night just for once in the last 10 season and that starts by getting rid of players like Rondo (and others) and building a new culture with win first stats later guys.

We deserve players that actually play with some kind of pride in themselves and the Sacramento jersey and it's pathetic we have not been able to do so in over a decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a whole pile of numbers that mean nothing to me. For one thing, where are you getting your defensive rating stats from? basketball-reference.com has Rondo at 107 last season and Conley at 110. It's such a team dependent stat anyway that I only use basketball-reference's numbers for defensive rating because I've figured out a system that I trust over the course of the last 5 or 6 years. I normalize it based on the team average. Because the range on Sacramento last season was 107 (Cousins) to 113 (Belinelli) and the range on Memphis last season was 105 (Tony Allen) to 111 (Courtney Lee) that tells me Rondo's 107 is actually slightly better than a 107 rating would be on Memphis because the team average is worse.
You are talking about all this numbers as meaningles than turns around and talk about Stl% as the golden standard of judging defense... anyway:

I'm getting my numbers from NBA.com- you know the one's not operating on an estimate but actual tracking data and in any case even if you do use Basketball-refernce data than Conley's Netrtg is +5 while Rondo is (-2). so by that metric too, like pretty much all of them, Conley preforms significantly better.

And if you are talking about how he measures as it relates to his team than (I'm using NBA.com):
Memphis had a NetRtg of (-2.9) while Conley was +1.7 so he outpreformed his team by +4.6.
The Kings had a BetRtg of (-3) while Rondo was (-3.5) so he underpreformed for us and was a negative (-0.5).

Offensive rating is always going to be better for players with a higher TS% but I don't think that means a player is objectively better on offense. So if Mike Conley was at 115 last season and Rondo was at 105 (again, using basketball-reference.com -- there are different formulas out there so you really do have to specify what your source is) that could mean that Conley is 10 points better over the course of a game but Rondo has 12 assists per 36 min and Conley has 7 so that's at least 10 points right there that are easily accounted for.
Actually in NBA.com case- since it's not based on an estimate, there is no inherent advantage in having a higher TS% and a better ORTG (it's just how the team preformed when he was on the court per 100 poss), but god forbid the guy who's shooting more efficiently will count as positive influence on offense.

Your explanation using Rondo's assists has nothing to do with OffRtg, it checks how the team preformed when he was on the court- his personal box score stats doesn't answer that.

PER and TS% are overused to the point of absurdity. DeAndre Jordan had a PER of 20.6 this season and 21 the season before. What is that really telling us other than he shot 70% from the floor on alley-oops and putbacks and doesn't handle the ball enough to incur turnovers?
That DeAndre Jordan is a very effective player? do you think that's wrong? PER is overused but guys like Rondo who are ball-dominant should be high on that list, since it measures statistical contribution high Usage guys should be high on that least and if we'll use Nylon Calculus SportVU based true Usage Rondo is among lead leaders (11th)- and Still Conley who is far down the list is better since he is more effective.

TS% is for lazy people who want one number to compare people by. It's useless to me as a shooting stat because it's so dependent on free throw shooting. I'm far more interested in comparing shotcharts and shooting percentages.
FT's are things that exist, it's also the most effective shot in basketball and the reason Cousins isn't an ineffective scorer.
And when I want to say if someone is a more effective scorer judging it by a shotchart isn't the answer, TS% is- you can call looking at the whoule picture lazy but that doesn't make it true.

Real Plus Minus is a joke. That's ESPN's proprietary stat that they won't even disclose the formula for. If that's your basis for offering a guy a huge contract, heaven help you because you're trading with snake oil.
It's another example of him being better not the entire basis, you mentioned BPM and WS- in both this stats Conley (1.8 and 5.3) is better than Rondo (1 and 4.6) so you have no basis whatsoever as it relates to any advanced stats.
And you can call it a joke but it's actually pretty generous to Rondo unlike other advanced stats, it just that Conley is much better on it.

And as for the contention that Rondo stops ball movement -- he's a gd point guard! Oh my god this drive's me so crazy. The whole role of the point guard is to run the offense to get players easy baskets. That Rondo has the ball in his hands a lot would be a problem if he also had an astronomically high usage rate but that's not the case.
But you argued he doesn't limit the way your team plays- if your offense has to be putting the ball in his hands than it is limiting.
And his real usage puts him 11th in the entire league (like I mentioned) higher than Cousins.

If a guy holds the ball more than any player in the league (except Wall) and rarely shoot he's going to have a high assist numbers- which was fine if he made our offense any better when he was on the floor but it stays exactly the same (103.3 OffRtg).

To use another Nylon Calculos stat- Playmaking eFG% (eFG% of player’s teammates on shots assisted and potentially assisted by player), which is very relevant to your point of making easy buckets Conley is actually better than Rondo with 61.2% to Rondo's 60.6%.

This is not a bad thing! The marks of a quality offense are shooting percentage and assisted baskets. We were 7th and 3rd in those categories this season and 13th and 26th last season.
Actaully if you use TS% for us as a team (which you should) we dropped from 10th place last year to 11th this year... and made a small change regarding OffRtg climbing from 16th to 14th.

What's your argument about Rondo being better than Conley?

Last edited:

hrdboild

Staff member
You are talking about all this numbers as meaningles than turns around and talk about Stl% as the golden standard of judging defense... anyway:

I'm getting my numbers from NBA.com- you know the one's not operating on an estimate but actual tracking data and in any case even if you do use Basketball-refernce data than Conley's Netrtg is +5 while Rondo is (-2). so by that metric too, like pretty much all of them, Conley preforms significantly better.

And if you are talking about how he measures as it relates to his team than (I'm using NBA.com):
Memphis had a NetRtg of (-2.9) while Conley was +1.7 so he outpreformed his team by +4.6.
The Kings had a BetRtg of (-3) while Rondo was (-3.5) so he underpreformed for us and was a negative (-0.5).

Actually in NBA.com case- since it's not based on an estimate, there is no inherent advantage in having a higher TS% and a better ORTG (it's just how the team preformed when he was on the court per 100 poss), but god forbid the guy who's shooting more efficiently will count as positive influence on offense.

Your explanation using Rondo's assists has nothing to do with OffRtg, it checks how the team preformed when he was on the court- his personal box score stats doesn't answer that.

That DeAndre Jordan is a very effective player? do you think that's wrong? PER is overused but guys like Rondo who are ball-dominant should be high on that list, since it measures statistical contribution high Usage guys should be high on that least and if we'll use Nylon Calculus SportVU based true Usage Rondo is among lead leaders (11th)- and Still Conley who is far down the list is better since he is more effective.

FT's are things that exist, it's also the most effective shot in basketball and the reason Cousins isn't an ineffective scorer.
And when I want to say if someone is a more effective scorer judging it by a shotchart isn't the answer, TS% is- you can call looking at the whoule picture lazy but that doesn't make it true.

It's another example of him being better not the entire basis, you mentioned BPM and WS- in both this stats Conley (1.8 and 5.3) is better than Rondo (1 and 4.6) so you have no basis whatsoever as it relates to any advanced stats.
And you can call it a joke but it's actually pretty generous to Rondo unlike other advanced stats, it just that Conley is much better on it.

But you argued he doesn't limit the way your team plays- if your offense has to be putting the ball in his hands than it is limiting.
And his real usage puts him 11th in the entire league (like I mentioned) higher than Cousins.

If a guy holds the ball more than any player in the league (except Wall) and rarely shoot he's going to have a high assist numbers- which was fine if he made our offense any better when he was on the floor but it stays exactly the same (103.3 OffRtg).

To use another Nylon Calculos stat- Playmaking eFG% (eFG% of player’s teammates on shots assisted and potentially assisted by player), which is very relevant to your point of making easy buckets Conley is actually better than Rondo with 61.2% to Rondo's 60.6%.

Actaully if you use TS% for us as a team (which you should) we dropped from 10th place last year to 11th this year... and made a small change regarding OffRtg climbing from 16th to 14th.

What's your argument about Rondo being better than Conley?
Okay, first of all you're kindof being an ass for no reason. I wasn't even having a discussion with you, you just jumped in with a half dozen numbers and acted like they proved conclusively that Mike Conley is a "better player" than Rajon Rondo. I could have told you Rondo is a 4-time All-Star with a championship ring and Conley is a 0-time All-Star who's never won a game past the second round but I didn't do that because it proves nothing. Just like your comparison of PER and RPM proves nothing. Now it seems like you want to get into a "my stats are better than yours" argument which I'm not going to do because it's stupid. I use the stats I use because I've learned to trust them over a long period of time (through trial and error). I'm aware of what they do say and what they don't say and I'm flexible enough to admit that they can also be misleading when applied incorrectly. So it's not the numbers themselves which are meaningless, it's how you're using them. And because that's an actual discussion that we might learn something from, that's a discussion I'm willing to have.

This is now two posts in a row where you've rattled off a list of metrics absent any context and acted like you've proved a point. I don't doubt that you've convinced yourself, but to me NetRtg, TS%, and PER are so abstract and divorced from actual performance that I'm not going to make a list of players and rank them by these values and then act like I've made a definitive ranking of the best players in the league. I tried to demonstrate (for what I hope is the last time) why I don't accept TS% as the true mark of shooting efficiency. Rondo was better from the floor and better from behind the arc yet Conley has a higher TS%. That's great that Conley gets to the line more and converts at a much better percentage there. It certainly tells you something important about his scoring efficiency but if you're using TS% to tell you that Conley was a more effective shooter on the floor this season you're obviously incorrect because if you go shot by shot, the actual data says the exact opposite. Use it if you want, it's not totally useless, but don't act like it's the only shooting % mark worth using. And don't expect me to agree with you when you place it on a pedestal because that's your choice not mine and it's not as conclusive as you think it is. And no I'm not going to use TS% for the team nor do I think I should. DeMarcus Cousins missing free throws has nothing to do with Rondo's abilities as a playmaker or how effective the offense was at getting him in position to score in the first place.

Also, I mentioned Defensive BPM and Defensive WS -- both areas in which Rondo looks better than Conley on paper. You're talking about overall BPM and overall WS which subtracts the defensive rating from the offensive rating. I already explained why I don't think this is an accurate way to judge a PG, but more to the point I was arguing that Conley's defense isn't "obviously" better than Rondo's. If it were obviously better, there would be some statistical data to prove it and there's none. Rondo is better in every category. I mentioned steal % and defensive rebound % because they are factors in defensive performance, not because they are the only factors. Just like you said FTs are things that exist (thank you for that by the way, I was clearly misinformed :rolleyes: ) so too are defensive rebounds and steals things that exist and directly impact the game.

But really the whole point of all of this -- the only reason I'm responding at all rather than simply ignoring your smug self-satisfaction -- is because I disagree with your entire premise that you can use numbers to prove that one player is better than another. It was never my goal to prove that Rondo is better than Conley, it was my goal to prove that there's no conclusive evidence that Conley is better than Rondo -- on offense or defense. And since this topic is about not wanting Rondo back, I thought that was relevant because I imagine a similar poll asking if we should pursue Mike Conley in free agency would get a lot of enthusiastic yes'es and to me that has everything to do with perception bias and very little to do with measurable performance.

But the dumbest part of this by far is your continued insistence that having your point guard handle the ball more is hurting the team. Would we have been better off letting McLemore and Gay dribble more? Should we be asking Willie Cauley-Stein to create out of the high post? Should we be running a Princeton style offense with 4 players who are as likely to throw the ball to the other team as to their teammate? Maybe you have some stat to prove that more team ball movement invariably leads to better offense but I've watched enough basketball to tell you that a gifted playmaker transcends whatever statistical gymnastics you think you know. Even going by your preferred true usage %, here are the players who ranked higher than Rondo this season:

What a bunch of team killers. That's a list of the best players in the game and several highly regarded starting PGs. 7 of these guys were All-Stars last year. 3 more of them are former All-Stars. You had us trading for Jrue Holiday and making him our starting PG in your off-season plan thread. Doesn't he limit the way the team plays too if we have to put the ball in his hands? Clearly he's dominating the ball even more than Rondo and yet he's not getting as many assists. Curious. Maybe it's because he's shooting the ball more? Well, here's his shotchart from this season:

Like Conley, he was worse from the field and worse from behind the arc than Rondo. I'm not trying to pick on Holiday. He's a fine player who happened to have a down year shooting the ball this season, but even using your own logic I don't see why you want Holiday to be your starting PG and not Rondo. He handles the ball even more, shoots less efficiently from the floor and behind the arc, and at least based on the defensive measures that I've come to trust-- br.com's defensive rating, defensive BPM, and defensive WS -- Holiday is worse than Rondo in every category. Rondo generates more assists, more rebounds, and more steals whether you prefer per36 or per 100 possessions. Really the only advantage you get with Jrue Holiday is that he scores more, but he does that at a lower fg%. I have no doubt you've got a long list of numbers to prove to me that Holiday is a better player than Rondo but I frankly don't care about any of them unless you can explain to me how they're measured, what the margin of error is, and why I should trust them over the numbers I've been using for the last decade which work pretty well for me in predicting future performance.

The conclusion I've come to from reading everyone else's flawed reasoning is that this urgency to get rid of Rondo and replace him with a newer, younger model is less statistically based than people act like it is. In fact, it's starting to take on the feel of a witch hunt. Refute one argument and there's always a new argument with even less quantitative evidence to back it up. Too old, too expensive, can't shoot, can't defend, he's hurting the team with his ball dominance. And considering how unpopular the idea of bringing him here in the first place was, I can't say I'm at all surprised. There's always going to be something to dislike if you're actively looking for it.

Okay, first of all you're kindof being an ass for no reason. I wasn't even having a discussion with you, you just jumped in with a half dozen numbers and acted like they proved conclusively that Mike Conley is a "better player" than Rajon Rondo. I could have told you Rondo is a 4-time All-Star with a championship ring and Conley is a 0-time All-Star who's never won a game past the second round but I didn't do that because it proves nothing. Just like your comparison of PER and RPM proves nothing. Now it seems like you want to get into a "my stats are better than yours" argument which I'm not going to do because it's stupid. I use the stats I use because I've learned to trust them over a long period of time (through trial and error). I'm aware of what they do say and what they don't say and I'm flexible enough to admit that they can also be misleading when applied incorrectly. So it's not the numbers themselves which are meaningless, it's how you're using them. And because that's an actual discussion that we might learn something from, that's a discussion I'm willing to have.

This is now two posts in a row where you've rattled off a list of metrics absent any context and acted like you've proved a point. I don't doubt that you've convinced yourself, but to me NetRtg, TS%, and PER are so abstract and divorced from actual performance that I'm not going to make a list of players and rank them by these values and then act like I've made a definitive ranking of the best players in the league. I tried to demonstrate (for what I hope is the last time) why I don't accept TS% as the true mark of shooting efficiency. Rondo was better from the floor and better from behind the arc yet Conley has a higher TS%. That's great that Conley gets to the line more and converts at a much better percentage there. It certainly tells you something important about his scoring efficiency but if you're using TS% to tell you that Conley was a more effective shooter on the floor this season you're obviously incorrect because if you go shot by shot, the actual data says the exact opposite. Use it if you want, it's not totally useless, but don't act like it's the only shooting % mark worth using. And don't expect me to agree with you when you place it on a pedestal because that's your choice not mine and it's not as conclusive as you think it is. And no I'm not going to use TS% for the team nor do I think I should. DeMarcus Cousins missing free throws has nothing to do with Rondo's abilities as a playmaker or how effective the offense was at getting him in position to score in the first place.

Also, I mentioned Defensive BPM and Defensive WS -- both areas in which Rondo looks better than Conley on paper. You're talking about overall BPM and overall WS which subtracts the defensive rating from the offensive rating. I already explained why I don't think this is an accurate way to judge a PG, but more to the point I was arguing that Conley's defense isn't "obviously" better than Rondo's. If it were obviously better, there would be some statistical data to prove it and there's none. Rondo is better in every category. I mentioned steal % and defensive rebound % because they are factors in defensive performance, not because they are the only factors. Just like you said FTs are things that exist (thank you for that by the way, I was clearly misinformed :rolleyes: ) so too are defensive rebounds and steals things that exist and directly impact the game.

But really the whole point of all of this -- the only reason I'm responding at all rather than simply ignoring your smug self-satisfaction -- is because I disagree with your entire premise that you can use numbers to prove that one player is better than another. It was never my goal to prove that Rondo is better than Conley, it was my goal to prove that there's no conclusive evidence that Conley is better than Rondo -- on offense or defense. And since this topic is about not wanting Rondo back, I thought that was relevant because I imagine a similar poll asking if we should pursue Mike Conley in free agency would get a lot of enthusiastic yes'es and to me that has everything to do with perception bias and very little to do with measurable performance.

But the dumbest part of this by far is your continued insistence that having your point guard handle the ball more is hurting the team. Would we have been better off letting McLemore and Gay dribble more? Should we be asking Willie Cauley-Stein to create out of the high post? Should we be running a Princeton style offense with 4 players who are as likely to throw the ball to the other team as to their teammate? Maybe you have some stat to prove that more team ball movement invariably leads to better offense but I've watched enough basketball to tell you that a gifted playmaker transcends whatever statistical gymnastics you think you know. Even going by your preferred true usage %, here are the players who ranked higher than Rondo this season:

What a bunch of team killers. That's a list of the best players in the game and several highly regarded starting PGs. 7 of these guys were All-Stars last year. 3 more of them are former All-Stars. You had us trading for Jrue Holiday and making him our starting PG in your off-season plan thread. Doesn't he limit the way the team plays too if we have to put the ball in his hands? Clearly he's dominating the ball even more than Rondo and yet he's not getting as many assists. Curious. Maybe it's because he's shooting the ball more? Well, here's his shotchart from this season:

Like Conley, he was worse from the field and worse from behind the arc than Rondo. I'm not trying to pick on Holiday. He's a fine player who happened to have a down year shooting the ball this season, but even using your own logic I don't see why you want Holiday to be your starting PG and not Rondo. He handles the ball even more, shoots less efficiently from the floor and behind the arc, and at least based on the defensive measures that I've come to trust-- br.com's defensive rating, defensive BPM, and defensive WS -- Holiday is worse than Rondo in every category. Rondo generates more assists, more rebounds, and more steals whether you prefer per36 or per 100 possessions. Really the only advantage you get with Jrue Holiday is that he scores more, but he does that at a lower fg%. I have no doubt you've got a long list of numbers to prove to me that Holiday is a better player than Rondo but I frankly don't care about any of them unless you can explain to me how they're measured, what the margin of error is, and why I should trust them over the numbers I've been using for the last decade which work pretty well for me in predicting future performance.

The conclusion I've come to from reading everyone else's flawed reasoning is that this urgency to get rid of Rondo and replace him with a newer, younger model is less statistically based than people act like it is. In fact, it's starting to take on the feel of a witch hunt. Refute one argument and there's always a new argument with even less quantitative evidence to back it up. Too old, too expensive, can't shoot, can't defend, he's hurting the team with his ball dominance. And considering how unpopular the idea of bringing him here in the first place was, I can't say I'm at all surprised. There's always going to be something to dislike if you're actively looking for it.
I've always respected your opinions. Hopefully you aren't taking the poll results as a witch hunt. The poll gave us the options of him being back or not. I voted not. Doesn't mean I want him gone just that I somewhat expect him to be gone. I think his season is going to make him too expensive.

If the price is right, I want him back. 12-15, yes. Upwards of 20, no. I'm afraid somebody is going to make an offer that Vlade walks away from.

the way poll is worded, it has nothing to do with whether Kings should keep Rondo or not.

Rondo has value, I would not sign him for max, but I would be willing to give him more money than what he got last year.
How much more... well in Vlade I trust to make sure that whether Rondo stays or gets more money somewhere else, Kings end up better.

hrdboild

Staff member
I've always respected your opinions. Hopefully you aren't taking the poll results as a witch hunt. The poll gave us the options of him being back or not. I voted not. Doesn't mean I want him gone just that I somewhat expect him to be gone. I think his season is going to make him too expensive.

If the price is right, I want him back. 12-15, yes. Upwards of 20, no. I'm afraid somebody is going to make an offer that Vlade walks away from.
As much as I want Rondo back, over $15 million a year and I probably balk too. We're in a tough position if some other team decides to throw a ton of money at him. But then that's kindof the problem with trying to build some consistency here. If we're letting another good player go because they're too expensive, that sends a message to the other players that maybe we're not fully committed to winning. From a cap management point of view I don't think we can afford to give Rondo a max deal and still put a winning team on the floor, but does that matter to DeMarcus? I'm worried about the greater ramifications of saying thanks but no thanks and then trying to convince Cuz that we'll find him someone better. You could say "screw Cuz and what he thinks" but finding someone to replace him isn't going to be easy either.

But then people were saying last summer that Rondo didn't want to be here or some other team would offer him more money and neither one turned out to be true, so we'll see. We could use a little bit of good fortune for a change. I don't think we're screwed if he leaves, I just think we'd be better off keeping him here if possible.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
from this board, and from twitter... seems we don't deserve Rondo. I like him very much and was glad we had him last year and I hope to see what one more year with him - and a committed coaching staff - will bring.

but I'm in a small minority I guess. for me, I would adapt my defensive approach to let Rondo cheat and gamble when he's on the floor, and enjoy the rewards on offense (Kings scored hella points last year).

But it sounds like not meant to be.

Can't wait to see kingsfans.com just KILLING Collison next season every time he misses a clutch shot or turns it over in crunch time like y'all did last year.

edit: with that all said - if Vlade & Dave don't want him, then I'm good with that too. I'm all in with the org - starting at Vlade & Dave - they know hoops better than I
I'm right there with you on this.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not big on Shumpert and I'm not in favor of trading Koufos and McLemore to get him, but if I start with your premise here's where the team would end up and what would need to happen next.

Assuming Acy & Butler join Curry and Anderson in opting out, the Kings have approximately $28 million in cap room to start the offseason, counting the cap hold for the #8 pick but not counting the cap holds for Rondo & Moreland because they are relatively pointless. Let's assume the Shumpert deal happens on draft night. Then the roster looks like this:

Cousins
Cauley-Stein
Gay/Casspi
Shumpert/Belinelli
Collison

and now the Kings have about $30.5 million in cap room and seven players under contract. The #8 pick would add one player but if the play is to trade Belinelli for caproom that's a push. And since the goal is to re-sign Rondo AND open up room for a big free agency signing at PF the Kings will need to add bodies on the cheap.

So barring Kris Dunn or another high level prospect falling to #8 I'd say the strategy should be to trade the pick to one of the teams with multiple first rounders. Let's say the Celtics want Poeltl and will trade the #16 and #23 to move up.

PG, SG & C (the assumption is that a starting PF is a FA target) are positions that now only have one player under contract so ideally you get rookies at two of those three spots. Taking the average of the three mock drafts I'm looking at would give Wade Baldwin at #16 and Ivica Zubac at #23. I can live with that. The cap holds for those two slots are slightly more than for the #8 so now the Kings have $30.2 million in cap room.

After the moratorium a trade is made sending Belinelli for a warm body that nets them an extra $3 million in caproom.

Now the roster is

Cousins/Zubac
Cauley-Stein
Gay/Casspi
Shumpert
Collison/Baldwin

They sign Rondo for $15 million and then have $18.2 million to spend on a PF. The top options are:

Al Horford
Pau Gasol
Ryan Anderson
Marvin Williams
Myers Leonard
Donatas Motiejunas
Terrence Jones
Joakim Noah
Ersan Ilyasova

The first two are going to contenders. Anderson seems gettable. Williams is more of a tweener but could be a guy the Kings could get. Motiejunas' injury history scares me. Does Noah have anything left? Would he fit with Cousins? Leonard is a restricted which complicates things. And he's more of a center which would hurt defensively. On the other hand, a guy like Terrence Jones might be available for less cash, giving them room for another player. For simplicity I'm taking Ryan Anderson at $16 million. Acy can be brought back with the remaining cash and then the team has the room exception to add one more player and two guys that have to be on minimum contracts, unless the warm body from the Marco trade is a functional rotation player.

Cousins/Zubac
Anderson/Cauley-Stein/Acy
Gay/Casspi
Shumpert/
Rondo/Collison/Baldwin

I don't know what SG could be had for the room exception, but if Curry could be signed using it then Collison could be dealt for a backup SG.

Cousins/Zubac/Minimum contract player
Anderson/Cauley-Stein/Acy
Gay/Casspi/ Warm body from Belinelli trade
Shumpert/SG from Collison trade/minimum contract player
Rondo/Curry/Baldwin

Doable. I'm not sure how good that team can be, but it's doable.

Last edited:
Rondo is a definitely a better pure pg than Collison, but watching the playoffs, i'm not 100% sure a ball dominant pg is really all that necessary anymore. Watching the Warrior's games, they seem to play through Draymond at the top of the key, and then let Curry and Thompson run off screen's until someone opens up. You don't see Steph in there being the major playmaker all of the time, and in fact, he's a guy who's more often than not moving without the ball and making plays off of catch and shoot sets.

A common belief is that it's a pg's league right now, but i disagree. I think we are seeing a clear shift to being more of a shooter's league.. I don't think it's any coincidence that we've been a pretty poor team in the last decade, and we're always near the bottom ranking in 3pt shooting. Rondo is such a poor shooter, that we'll really need to adjust the whole make up of the roster if we want to make him the pg of the future.

It all depends on what we can do in the offseason. If we have to overpay to get Rondo, and that inhibits us from going out and getting the right complimentary pieces next to him, then i think we're right back where we were last season. We need to get more balanced on offense (i.e. perimeter shooting), and unless we can make some nice trades, i think we might have to let Rondo walk in order to fill in some of our other offensive gaps.

Try to read your own posts from time to time, if I had a hint of snark you have tons of it (and on this post it's on an whole other level)- you have a "everybody who disagrees with me is dumb" attitude... even when you are wrong- in fact you even say it yourself:
The conclusion I've come to from reading everyone else's flawed reasoning
But anyway let's put it behind us because this petty fighting is not worth your time or mine.

Again you keep talking about why Rondo is better and the stats you like- and you have yet to show me a metric in that shows Rondo as better.
It's not a "my stats are better than yours" it's you have no stats on your side (and no- All-star apperences from 5 years ago and a championship ring from 8 years ago doesn't hold the same value).

There's nothing all that complicated about TS% and it tells you the efficiency of the player scoring- if I'm going to say a someone is a more efficient scorer based on TS% it will be right, would it tell me how he shoots from the right corner? sure it won't- but if you ask who is a more efficient scorer it gives you the right answer.

And even if I can see some little logic on not using it for a player- why won't you use it for a team? I would get the criticism if you offered a true alternative but you used FG% to prove your point about the team... it doesn't take into account 3's or FT's it's about as meaningless as it can be.
You talk down to me for using TS% and than expect me to use FG%?
And DMC is profiting from TS% big time since he gets to the line so much- that's the point I was making, if you look only on FG%/eFG% he is very bad- but you shouldn't because getting to the line is part of the game.

So DBPM and DWS are good becuase they favor Rondo but overall BPM and WS are bad becuase they don't? if that's not cherry picking I don't know what is.
There are defensive stats in which Conley is better- besides the clear eye test, like DefRtg and DRPM... you discount them, you discount the eye test and ignore the thoughts of pretty much any scout and analyst- all regard Rondo of the last 4 years as terrible defender and Conley as a good one.

Know you say there is no way to prove Conley is better than Rondo- let me ask, is there a way to prove anyone is better than Rondo by your standard?
You have yet to find one metric that shows he is the better overall player besides assist totals, defensive rebounding and steals (which are a huge part of the problem for Rondo- he doesn't even try to defend his man and just gambles all the way) on every single aspect Conley was shown better and that to add to the basic thing which he is a far more diverse player who can score, shoot, be a playmaker and defend.

Now we get to my dumbest part by far (just after my smug self-satisfaction- and I'm being an ass right?)- his ball dominance, of course high usage guys are good, most teams won't let bad players have such a big share of their teams possessions...
But those guys can score and make their team offense better- Rondo doesn't, you made the claim that he doesn't force you into a certain playstyle it was a counter to that- now you go back on it and say it's good- where is the evidence for that?

I'm glad you so my offseason proposal- yes Holiday is dominant, but he is also a good 3pt shooter with good size who would be far better suited to play off the ball and while he had a higher real usage he took far less time with the ball in his hands: 67.3 touches to Rondo's 2nd highest 95 and 4.7 minutes of ball possesion to Rondo's 7.5.
I'm also not married to Holiday- this idea is one I had last season and I floated it again this year- the main thing about my plan was Marvin Williams.
True usage is not a measure of how much time he had the ball in his hands but "offensive plays on which a player contributes to the end result while he is on the floor: “Contributing” is defined as a scoring attempt, turnover or potential assist"- I think it's better from regular usage since it also takes more things into account and creates a more complete picture.
And maybe he is a bad fit and I was wrong I'm not married to the idea of Holiday, I dislike the idea of keeping Rondo as our starter.

Refute one argument and there's always a new argument with even less quantitative evidence to back it up
I guess you do know how I feel during this discussion ;)
And again and I mean that with zero snark- so you actually have something quantitive to offer in favour of Rondo outside his assist totlas and stl%?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If your only argument for Conley over Rondo is defense, than you're on very shaky ground. Defensive rating, Defensive box plus minus, and DWS say Rondo has been better than Conley last season and over the course of his career. DReb% and Stl% say Rondo has been much better than Conley. So you're basically putting the eye test last season on one side of the ledger and 9 seasons worth of statistical data on the other and picking the eye test.

And I'll help you with the numbers. Cousins (15.7) Gay (13.3) Cauley-Stein (3.5) Casspi (3) and Rondo starting at 15 gives you 50.5 million. We have to add another million for Wayne Ellington's buyout and 2.5 million for the #8 pick so that's 54 million and 6 players out of a 92 million dollar cap. Trade assets are McLemore (4) Collison (5.2) Belinelli (6.3) and Koufos (8). We already had a trade on the table that was Koufos and McLemore for Shumpert (9.7). If we make that trade we now have 7 players and we're up to 64 million out of 92. So all we have to do is trade Collison and Belinelli for a $3 million player and we have enough cap space to offer a near max contract to somebody -- something in the 20 million a year range. Is that possible? I think so. Considering that nearly every team in the league will suddenly be way under the salary cap, with cash considerations going out and second round picks coming back you should be able to subtract either one without taking much back in salary. Then you can add veterans or rookies on minimum deals for the last 3 spots on the bench (these guys aren't going to play anyway) and sign 1 veteran with the room exception to fill out the rotation.
Sorry hrdboild, if you think that Rondo is a better defender than Conley, then your bias has blinded you and there's nothing I can say. If you watched the games this year, and thought that Rondo played good defense, I have no explanation other than selective blindness. Anyone, and I mean anyone who was being honest, had to admit that Rondo not only didn't play good defense, he stunk. He flat out didn't even try at times.

When you add in that both Vlade and Joerger mentioned that they wanted a team that had more ball movement, and player movement, that doesn't fit what Rondo does. Yes, he's a very good assist player, but he dominates the ball doing it. That's not likely to fit what Joerger wants, which could lead to confrontation. Something not foreign to Rondo. Karl may be the first coach he didn't bump heads with, and he didn't because the system Karl ran, fit perfectly what Rondo wanted to do.

hrdboild

Staff member
Sorry hrdboild, if you think that Rondo is a better defender than Conley, then your bias has blinded you and there's nothing I can say. If you watched the games this year, and thought that Rondo played good defense, I have no explanation other than selective blindness. Anyone, and I mean anyone who was being honest, had to admit that Rondo not only didn't play good defense, he stunk. He flat out didn't even try at times.

When you add in that both Vlade and Joerger mentioned that they wanted a team that had more ball movement, and player movement, that doesn't fit what Rondo does. Yes, he's a very good assist player, but he dominates the ball doing it. That's not likely to fit what Joerger wants, which could lead to confrontation. Something not foreign to Rondo. Karl may be the first coach he didn't bump heads with, and he didn't because the system Karl ran, fit perfectly what Rondo wanted to do.
It's not that I think he was great, it's that I don't think he was nearly as bad as popular opinion suggests. His on-the-ball technique is unconventional, but surprisingly effective. I've been looking at defensive ratings for years trying to figure out good FA targets that will improve our defense each off-season and all of the metrics I use say Rondo was better than average this year. I'm not making this stuff up. It's all there on basketball-reference.com and you can go back for 20 years and see how reliable they are or how closely they align with common sense. Now you could dismiss them all as unreliable or flawed instead, but that seems to me like you'd just be altering the facts to fit the conclusion you've already decided on. I saw some really lazy defense out of Rondo this year too but then I also saw some really lazy defense out of Cousins at times and he still finished the season as our best overall defender.

The story with Cousins this whole career has been "how much better would this guy be if he didn't take possessions off every game?" I think the same applies to Rondo. Early in the season he was taking plays off because we had no backup and he was on the floor for 48 minutes. Later in the season after the full-on anti-George Karl rebellion set in he looked like he was taking entire games off as a point of protest. That's always been part of the narrative on Rondo -- he's great when he tries hard but he doesn't always show up for regular season games. I don't know why that is nor do I know if Coach Joerger will get him to change. I'm not a fan of his pouting demeanor either, but he's so good when he's focused and locked in that I just put up with it the same way I put up with DeMarcus' antics.

I suppose having two of these guys on the same team probably drives a lot of people crazy. Is it unprofessional? Sure it is. Am I embarrassed to root for them? Not really. Would I prefer that we just move on and start over with a less mercurial more conventionally likable duo? I wouldn't, though I can see why other fans would. I like rooting for underdogs and cantankerous personalities. I loved Ron Artest when he was here long after he wore thin on most Kings fans. And like Artest, both Cousins and Rondo are completely unique players in the NBA and for me anyway, fascinating to watch game after game. Also they're really good basketball players which has to count for something. I don't really know what Vlade and Joerger want so I don't feel equipped to comment on that. But I will go to the mat arguing for a traditional PG over a motion offense because that's what I like watching and I strongly disagree that a team can't win anymore playing that way. If your defense is good enough and you can score baskets more often than not, you can win. It's not any more complicated than that. No amount of fancy statistical analysis is going to convince me that the game has changed so dramatically as to eliminate the importance of the PG and the C positions but I've always been a bit of a skeptic. I'll probably be the ranting old man the kids shake their heads at (if I'm not there already).

hrdboild

Staff member
Try to read your own posts from time to time, if I had a hint of snark you have tons of it (and on this post it's on an whole other level)- you have a "everybody who disagrees with me is dumb" attitude... even when you are wrong- in fact you even say it yourself:

But anyway let's put it behind us because this petty fighting is not worth your time or mine.

Again you keep talking about why Rondo is better and the stats you like- and you have yet to show me a metric in that shows Rondo as better.
It's not a "my stats are better than yours" it's you have no stats on your side (and no- All-star apperences from 5 years ago and a championship ring from 8 years ago doesn't hold the same value).

There's nothing all that complicated about TS% and it tells you the efficiency of the player scoring- if I'm going to say a someone is a more efficient scorer based on TS% it will be right, would it tell me how he shoots from the right corner? sure it won't- but if you ask who is a more efficient scorer it gives you the right answer.

And even if I can see some little logic on not using it for a player- why won't you use it for a team? I would get the criticism if you offered a true alternative but you used FG% to prove your point about the team... it doesn't take into account 3's or FT's it's about as meaningless as it can be.
You talk down to me for using TS% and than expect me to use FG%?
And DMC is profiting from TS% big time since he gets to the line so much- that's the point I was making, if you look only on FG%/eFG% he is very bad- but you shouldn't because getting to the line is part of the game.

So DBPM and DWS are good becuase they favor Rondo but overall BPM and WS are bad becuase they don't? if that's not cherry picking I don't know what is.
There are defensive stats in which Conley is better- besides the clear eye test, like DefRtg and DRPM... you discount them, you discount the eye test and ignore the thoughts of pretty much any scout and analyst- all regard Rondo of the last 4 years as terrible defender and Conley as a good one.

Know you say there is no way to prove Conley is better than Rondo- let me ask, is there a way to prove anyone is better than Rondo by your standard?
You have yet to find one metric that shows he is the better overall player besides assist totals, defensive rebounding and steals (which are a huge part of the problem for Rondo- he doesn't even try to defend his man and just gambles all the way) on every single aspect Conley was shown better and that to add to the basic thing which he is a far more diverse player who can score, shoot, be a playmaker and defend.

Now we get to my dumbest part by far (just after my smug self-satisfaction- and I'm being an ass right?)- his ball dominance, of course high usage guys are good, most teams won't let bad players have such a big share of their teams possessions...
But those guys can score and make their team offense better- Rondo doesn't, you made the claim that he doesn't force you into a certain playstyle it was a counter to that- now you go back on it and say it's good- where is the evidence for that?

I'm glad you so my offseason proposal- yes Holiday is dominant, but he is also a good 3pt shooter with good size who would be far better suited to play off the ball and while he had a higher real usage he took far less time with the ball in his hands: 67.3 touches to Rondo's 2nd highest 95 and 4.7 minutes of ball possesion to Rondo's 7.5.
I'm also not married to Holiday- this idea is one I had last season and I floated it again this year- the main thing about my plan was Marvin Williams.
True usage is not a measure of how much time he had the ball in his hands but "offensive plays on which a player contributes to the end result while he is on the floor: “Contributing” is defined as a scoring attempt, turnover or potential assist"- I think it's better from regular usage since it also takes more things into account and creates a more complete picture.
And maybe he is a bad fit and I was wrong I'm not married to the idea of Holiday, I dislike the idea of keeping Rondo as our starter.

I guess you do know how I feel during this discussion ;)
And again and I mean that with zero snark- so you actually have something quantitive to offer in favour of Rondo outside his assist totlas and stl%?
It's true, I'm kindof an ass too. :) We're both passionate about our opinions, I can appreciate that. It's nothing personal of course. And I could probably stand to be more open-minded about a lot of things. Especially right before I go to bed when I get downright hostile for some reason. I'm happy to call you my friend -- sorry about the snark.

Some of your arguments though are downright confusing to me. FG% does include 3pt% -- it includes everything except free throws so I don't think it's useless if you're measuring the quality of the shots a team is getting. Of course it doesn't account for players being wide open and missing anyway, but hopefully over the course of a season that evens out a bit league-wide. That's where common sense comes in. If you know you have a team of non-shooters you can't really blame the guy passing the ball for the low team FG%. I'm not talking down to you for using TS% -- I just don't appreciate people talking down to me as if FG% and 3PT% are for bar rants only and the educated folks are using TS% these days. I flat out don't like it as a stat. The whole discussion of the shooting charts was me trying to demonstrate why. It's counter-intuitive to say "this guy is actually worse, you're just using the wrong stat" when it's quite plain in black and white that the player with a higher TS% (both players in this case) missed more shots from the floor than the player with a lower TS%. For my purposes, FG% and 3PT% are much more useful tools. They isolate exactly what I'm trying to talk about without the statistical noise of poor free throw shooting factored in. And in terms of assisted baskets it is statistical noise because free throws typically don't create assists (unless it's a 3pt play but that becomes a lot more work to calculate -- I have a full-time job, and I'm not trying to win the stat Olympics).

DBPM and DWS aren't better stats than BPM and WS in a vaccum, but if we're trying to isolate a player's defensive contributions than they're not just better, it's apples and oranges. Overall BPM and WS factors in a player's offensive contributions as well so they're useful for measuring a players overall impact on the game but useless for measuring their ability as a defender. I don't discount your defensive rating, I just don't know anything about what NBA.com uses to calculate it and I've always used Drtg from basketball-reference.com. I'm sure it comes across sometimes like I'm just interested in winning an argument but that's not my personality. I don't want to talk people into agreeing with me, I want to be correct. I'm obsessed with the truth. I use the stats I know because I can tell when there's an outlier and how to account for it. I don't know anything about defensive rating from nba.com so I don't use it. And I don't know anything about real plus minus because ESPN doesn't want me to know. It's not that I dismiss it when I don't like the results, I dismiss it for everything across the board. It's not falsifiable therefore it's not scientifically permissible.

Maybe this is just semantics, but do you agree that Steve Nash deserved his MVP awards? Is it possible to be an MVP without leading your team in scoring? You make it sound like that's a contradiction in terms and I don't see why assists should be considered less important to the team than points. By definition every assist includes a made basket. If you're going to dismiss assists, rebounds, and steals outright and say "prove to me Rondo is a better player using something else", I just don't understand the point of the question. Why should I want to do that? Andre Drummond and DeAndre Jordan are both terrible free throw shooters. They can't create their own shot nor do they create a lot of shots for their teammates. What they do is rebound the hell out of the ball and block shots. You're going to tell me those contributions aren't important? Do their teams have to play a certain way to accommodate a player who can't dribble the ball or shoot beyond 15 feet? Yeah I suppose they do. And yet that's a sacrifice those teams are not only willing to make, they'll pay max money for the privilege of handicapping their team in that way.

What that indicates to me is that there is no single metric which can be used to sort every player in the league. Some players are elite shotblockers and rebounders, some are elite shooters, some are mediocre shooters but elite scorers because of their ability to force fouls and convert at the free throw line, some are elite individual defenders, and some are elite playmakers. How are you going to compare an elite shotblocker like Hassan Whiteside to an elite scorer like James Harden and say which one is better? It doesn't even make sense to ask that. If you want interior defense, Whiteside is a better fit. If you're having trouble putting points on the board maybe you invest in Harden instead. Maybe Conley and Holiday have more diverse overall games but you have to acknowledge that trading out Rondo for either one of them means losing something in certain areas (playmaking, rebounding, and as far as I can tell, team defense as well) while you gain in shooting ability and ball movement. And frankly, Rondo shot the 3 ball better than both of them this season so it's even less obvious to me that either one would actually be an upgrade.

It feels like our arguments are just sliding by each other in parallel though. I show you every metric I use and you dismiss all of them. Then you show me every metric you use and I dismiss all of them. We're never going to come to any kind of agreement like this. You seem a lot more comfortable with advanced stats than I am, which is fine. I'm old-fashioned in the sense that I want you (or really anyone) to prove it to me why I'm supposed to use your metrics instead. Are counting stats flawed? Sure. Are defensive ratings universally accepted? Not even close. But we're not talking about a few points of difference here. Rondo was the league leader in assists (by a large margin), he was 7th overall in steals, he was #2 in rebounding among all PGs (and basically tied for #2 among all guards). These are significant and important parts of the game in which he has demonstrated over the course of his career that he's among the best in the league. Why should the burden be on me to prove to you that he's better than two starting PGs who aren't elite in any skill areas?

hrdboild

Staff member
Rondo is a definitely a better pure pg than Collison, but watching the playoffs, i'm not 100% sure a ball dominant pg is really all that necessary anymore. Watching the Warrior's games, they seem to play through Draymond at the top of the key, and then let Curry and Thompson run off screen's until someone opens up. You don't see Steph in there being the major playmaker all of the time, and in fact, he's a guy who's more often than not moving without the ball and making plays off of catch and shoot sets.

A common belief is that it's a pg's league right now, but i disagree. I think we are seeing a clear shift to being more of a shooter's league.. I don't think it's any coincidence that we've been a pretty poor team in the last decade, and we're always near the bottom ranking in 3pt shooting. Rondo is such a poor shooter, that we'll really need to adjust the whole make up of the roster if we want to make him the pg of the future.

It all depends on what we can do in the offseason. If we have to overpay to get Rondo, and that inhibits us from going out and getting the right complimentary pieces next to him, then i think we're right back where we were last season. We need to get more balanced on offense (i.e. perimeter shooting), and unless we can make some nice trades, i think we might have to let Rondo walk in order to fill in some of our other offensive gaps.
This isn't even true though. Rondo was a better 3pt shooter than a whole lot of PGs this season (though Collison was quite notably not among them). If shooting is the most important skill for a PG now than we should just put Collison back in the starting PG spot. We're unlikely to find a better outside shooter at the position. What I see in the playoffs is that talent wins, not any one style of play. I bet that defensive juggernaut of a Detroit Pistons team would still win today if Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Wallace and the other Wallace were still in their primes. People tend to have a short memory about these kinds of things but that team was capable of holding teams under 70 points a game. I think it's just an accident of history that any particular group of players comes together at the right time. If Golden State doesn't draft Klay Thompson or sign Igoudala, maybe we never see this team win a championship? If you want to chase every new trend at the same time every other team in the league is chasing it, you're probably going to spin yourself in circles. I think we have to learn a lesson from the Oakland A's here. Teams in smaller markets have to be one step ahead of the pack chasing after undervalued players rather than overvalued ones. The fact that every other team in the league seems to think outside shooting is their ticket to the Finals too could give us an advantage if we go after the talent that they're ignoring and build a team tailored around their strengths instead.

hrdboild

Staff member
I think that things could become a lot clearer after the draft. If we end up drafting a PG then it is just about a certainty that Rondo is not coming back.
If we're taking a PG in the top 10 this year though it's probably Kris Dunn -- which is basically my best-case scenario for this draft -- and I don't think we have to give up on Rondo in that case either. At least not right away. Dunn would be making only 2.5 million next season while taking over the important backup PG role which leaves us more money to spend at SG, SF, and PF. Maybe it doesn't make a lot of sense to immediately block him with a 3 or 4 year Rondo deal, but he did say that Rondo was his favorite player growing up. Rather than pulling another Ben McLemore or Jimmer Fredette and clearing out the roster for him before he plays a single NBA game it would be smart to bring him along slowly in a bench role until he's ready. He's big enough and athletic enough that we could actually play him at SG too without losing much if anything on defense. And you know he'd be attached to Rondo's hip the whole time soaking up whatever knowledge he can. If Dunn is ready for a bigger role right away he becomes a great sixth man for a couple years until Rondo's contract is up. My perfect off-season would involve us drafting Dunn to be our PG of the future and also re-signing Rondo for 4 years to be our PG of the present. A rookie PG won't look nearly as appealing to other free agents as a 4-time All Star and we're not going to be able to upgrade the team dramatically through trades alone.