Letting Rondo walk

What happens with Rondo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I doubt, this rumor came from Vlade, and he's the only truly reliable source at this point, though it might be an early sign, that Kings didn't like being played last year, and are trying to send a signal, that they won't participate in a bidding war.

I think vlade would go $15 mil a year for 4 year max.

If it tops that, I think he lets rondo walk and rolls with collison and re-signs Seth curry.

I still don't understand why FA comes after the draft. However, I guess it could really help us in this case. If Dunn is there at 8, Rondo is 100% gone. I'm just really curious as to what that figure Vlade has in mind is.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
When do we have to make decisions to release cap holds on players?
There's no specific date. The cap holds begin to apply on July 1st (there is the moratorium, of course) and they can be released as necessary. If we have a cap hold for Rondo that is interfering with our ability to sign another player, we can come to agreement with that player, and then simultaneously release Rondo's cap hold to make room when we submit the other player's contract to the league.

I still don't understand why FA comes after the draft.
I think the reasoning behind this is that the NBA Playoffs doesn't end until mid to late June.

If Free Agency occurred 1st, you would have to wait a good month, before having the draft, if you wanted things to settle out and finalize deals before the draft. That would push the the Draft to late July or early August and training camp starts in September.

Also, in the NBA, more than any other sport, one player can make a huge difference to your teams make up. Since the draft is a crap shoot and you don't know who you are going to land in the draft, once you draft a player, you will know what your teams needs are come free agency.

It's a win-win for the Free Agent players and the teams to know where they stand as far as team needs and fit, come free agency time.

Last edited:
I would want Rondo back, but at a reasonable price, say $15 mil per year for 4 years.

My prediction is that the New York Knicks will throw near max money at Rondo (i.e. $18 mil/yr for 4 years) and the Kings will let him walk.

Yeah I agree that Dunn will be gone at #8. Why not start Curry and have Collison as a backup? We would have plenty of money to strengthen other positions

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I have no idea where this rumour started but it's encouraging. Word on the street is that the FO isn't interested in over paying for Rondo.

http://hoopshype.com/rumor/1054671/
Sort of thing where when, as you have done, you analyze it....yeah, where would this come from? Vlade doesn't talk. But we do have two new pieces, with two new agents -- Joerger and the assistant GM. Its not impossible they and Vlade have talked Rondo, that one of them have said something to somebody and... There's also of course the possibility of gamesmanship -- put this word out to try to suppress bids...or possibly the reverse, try to convince teams they can have him if you are Rondo's agent. Then again, its just as likely its the normal made up NBA stuff where somebody looks a a situation, tries to project/predict in a vague way, then sells ti as sources.

Now I think the direct source was a blurb from Lowe. But the Lowe blurb was just a "scuttlebutt/sources say" thing too, and I would imagine Lowe is not a Rondo fan, which unfortunately always taints his reporting.

Yeah I agree that Dunn will be gone at #8. Why not start Curry and have Collison as a backup? We would have plenty of money to strengthen other positions
I don't think Curry is a PG in the NBA right now. He only played well as a PG in 1-2 games at the end of last season vs. Ronnie Price. His handles are still extremely meh for a PG, and I don't know if he really knows how to play PG yet. He went from being a SG, to a combo guard, so that's progress.

Once he goes up against the west PGs like Curry, Lillard, Paul, Westbrook, Bledsoe, etc, he's probably going to get exposed on defense. He has the focus and effort, but he lacks the lateral quickness and foot speed to keep up with them. It's why he fairs better against SGs because he has actually has the strength to put a body on them.
I'm still not sure that he can create shots off the dribble. A lot of his shots last year were catch and shoot, he still had trouble getting separation.

If Seth Curry is our starting PG next year, we're going to be in trouble.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Highly unlikely Dunn is available at #8 unfortunately.
Maybe, maybe not. I have a feeling that one of the super athletic bigs is going to get drafted much higher than currently predicted. Labissiere or Chriss being the guys I'm thinking of. These are the types of players that look amazing in workouts. Long, athletic, bouncy and full of potential.

Phoenix has Bledsoe, Knight and Booker. Even if they trade one of their PGs they still have their starting backcourt in place. And if Bender is off the board I think they are looking at Brown, Labissiere and Chriss. Likewise I think Denver wants a SG or PF. I think they'd take

And is there a team that thinks Ellenson can be a poor man's Kevin Love or Tom Gugliotta? He's more heavy legged than both of those guys and doesn't have quite the same scoring ability, he's not the rebounder Love is or as tough as Googs but he's an intriguing face up PF with a range of skills. Denver could use a stretch 4. And New Orleans might already be conceding that they'll let Anderson walk and might be looking for a replacement. Or do the Pelicans look to nab Poeltl to put next to Davis?

I think Ingram and Simmons go top 2 but after that? I think Bender goes 3 or 4. So if Murray, Hield & Brown happen to go in the top seven then it would just require one team going after Labissiere, Chriss, Ellenson or Poeltl to possibly have Dunn drop to the Kings.

I can't see Philadelphia, LA or Boston taking Dunn in the top 3. I don't think Phoenix needs another guard. Denver has their big, young PG and Dunn and Mudiay aren't a great matchup to share the backcourt. So it really comes down to how much Minnesota likes Rubio, how much New Orleans likes Holiday and whether they'd rather fix other holes.

This is a tough draft to predict. Personally I think Dunn is the 3rd best player in this draft and possibly the 2nd. But there are so many guys in the lottery range that I could see falling anywhere in a 5 or 6 pick range. Some mock drafts have Buddy Hield being taken 3rd but I could envision him having a Paul Pierce like slide. Jaylen Brown has been slotted anywhere from 4th to 13th on draft sites.

Workouts and draft rumors may start to clear things up a bit but right now it's all a bit murky. I definitely hope Dunn drops to the Kings. I wouldn't even mind seeing them trade up to get him.

Maybe, maybe not. I have a feeling that one of the super athletic bigs is going to get drafted much higher than currently predicted. Labissiere or Chriss being the guys I'm thinking of. These are the types of players that look amazing in workouts. Long, athletic, bouncy and full of potential.

Phoenix has Bledsoe, Knight and Booker. Even if they trade one of their PGs they still have their starting backcourt in place. And if Bender is off the board I think they are looking at Brown, Labissiere and Chriss. Likewise I think Denver wants a SG or PF. I think they'd take

And is there a team that thinks Ellenson can be a poor man's Kevin Love or Tom Gugliotta? He's more heavy legged than both of those guys and doesn't have quite the same scoring ability, he's not the rebounder Love is or as tough as Googs but he's an intriguing face up PF with a range of skills. Denver could use a stretch 4. And New Orleans might already be conceding that they'll let Anderson walk and might be looking for a replacement. Or do the Pelicans look to nab Poeltl to put next to Davis?

I think Ingram and Simmons go top 2 but after that? I think Bender goes 3 or 4. So if Murray, Hield & Brown happen to go in the top seven then it would just require one team going after Labissiere, Chriss, Ellenson or Poeltl to possibly have Dunn drop to the Kings.

I can't see Philadelphia, LA or Boston taking Dunn in the top 3. I don't think Phoenix needs another guard. Denver has their big, young PG and Dunn and Mudiay aren't a great matchup to share the backcourt. So it really comes down to how much Minnesota likes Rubio, how much New Orleans likes Holiday and whether they'd rather fix other holes.

This is a tough draft to predict. Personally I think Dunn is the 3rd best player in this draft and possibly the 2nd. But there are so many guys in the lottery range that I could see falling anywhere in a 5 or 6 pick range. Some mock drafts have Buddy Hield being taken 3rd but I could envision him having a Paul Pierce like slide. Jaylen Brown has been slotted anywhere from 4th to 13th on draft sites.

Workouts and draft rumors may start to clear things up a bit but right now it's all a bit murky. I definitely hope Dunn drops to the Kings. I wouldn't even mind seeing them trade up to get him.
I don't see Dunn getting past either Minnesota and especially not New Orleans.

Dunn would be my pick if he slid to us, but I'm not holding my breath.

I would want Rondo back, but at a reasonable price, say $15 mil per year for 4 years.

My prediction is that the New York Knicks will throw near max money at Rondo (i.e. $18 mil/yr for 4 years) and the Kings will let him walk.
I think that is too much for Rondo. But my guess is someone will pay him that much, in which case, I say let him go.

I don't see Rondo coming back, especially if we can grab Dunn at #8. We have a shooting problem and an athleticism problem at our wings. Rondo does not solve those issues. I loved watching Rondo play this year, but that play was his ceiling and I don't think it turned into wins because of the defensive lapses. (His own, not the teams)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mentioned this in another thread, but here's the basic math with Rondo:

(a) How much will he cost?
(b) Could the Kings get a better player with that money?

Considering how good Collison/McLemore/Gay/Thompson/Cousins played two years ago - especially under Malone but even under Corbin and Karl they were statistically one of the better starting fives - I'd be tempted to let Rondo walk and see if the draft and free agency can't be used to find a bench player and a starting SG respectively.

Collison/FA SG/Gay/Cauley-Stein/Cousins with Joerger as coach could be pretty effective.

The hard part is whether the Kings can actually land any of the free agents they'd want. Teams are going to have a TON to spend, the free agent class isn't all that strong after Durant, LeBron and Drummond with only KD really looking like he might consider changing teams. Dwight Howard is arguably a top 10 free agent this year. Hassan Whiteside is about to get a $20 million/year deal from somebody. So after some of the big dominoes (Durant, Horford, Conley, DeRozan) go and Lebron, Drummond, and end of career vets like Wade, Duncan and Dirk either retire or re-sign with their current team, there's not a ton left. So there will still be 15-20 teams out there with $20 million to spend. How many guys will consider Sacramento, even with an overpay? And how many of those guys would we be comfortable with the team overpaying for?

If the choice is Rondo or Bazemore I'm taking Bazemore. But is Kent Bazemore going to choose the Kings over the Hawks for similar money? How much overpay is needed?

Ryan Anderson is a guy mentioned as a potential target who some have said wants to come back home. Would you choose Anderson over Rondo?

Fournier? I like him but he doesn't help the defense and he's a gamble because he's restricted and Orlando may just match.

Pau?

Courtney Lee?

Jared Dudley?

I'm okay with letting Rondo, but only if the Kings can use that caproom to bring back a player that helps the team more. The counter argument is that statistically Rondo didn't help the team any more than Collison and maybe less.

So do you let Rondo walk and gamble in the feeding frenzy that will be this summer's free agency?
Or do re-sign him and count on trades (Gay, Collison, #8 to reshape the team)?

It's going to be a busy offseason in the NBA.

I mentioned this in another thread, but here's the basic math with Rondo:

(a) How much will he cost?
(b) Could the Kings get a better player with that money?

Considering how good Collison/McLemore/Gay/Thompson/Cousins played two years ago - especially under Malone but even under Corbin and Karl they were statistically one of the better starting fives - I'd be tempted to let Rondo walk and see if the draft and free agency can't be used to find a bench player and a starting SG respectively.

Collison/FA SG/Gay/Cauley-Stein/Cousins with Joerger as coach could be pretty effective.

The hard part is whether the Kings can actually land any of the free agents they'd want. Teams are going to have a TON to spend, the free agent class isn't all that strong after Durant, LeBron and Drummond with only KD really looking like he might consider changing teams. Dwight Howard is arguably a top 10 free agent this year. Hassan Whiteside is about to get a $20 million/year deal from somebody. So after some of the big dominoes (Durant, Horford, Conley, DeRozan) go and Lebron, Drummond, and end of career vets like Wade, Duncan and Dirk either retire or re-sign with their current team, there's not a ton left. So there will still be 15-20 teams out there with $20 million to spend. How many guys will consider Sacramento, even with an overpay? And how many of those guys would we be comfortable with the team overpaying for?

If the choice is Rondo or Bazemore I'm taking Bazemore. But is Kent Bazemore going to choose the Kings over the Hawks for similar money? How much overpay is needed?

Ryan Anderson is a guy mentioned as a potential target who some have said wants to come back home. Would you choose Anderson over Rondo?

Fournier? I like him but he doesn't help the defense and he's a gamble because he's restricted and Orlando may just match.

Pau?

Courtney Lee?

Jared Dudley?

I'm okay with letting Rondo, but only if the Kings can use that caproom to bring back a player that helps the team more. The counter argument is that statistically Rondo didn't help the team any more than Collison and maybe less.

So do you let Rondo walk and gamble in the feeding frenzy that will be this summer's free agency?
Or do re-sign him and count on trades (Gay, Collison, #8 to reshape the team)?

It's going to be a busy offseason in the NBA.
The ONLY top free agents players I think we realistically have a shot at getting, sans a massive overpay are:

1)Rondo (DMC connection)
2)Ryan Anderson (Sacramento connection)

and former Joerger players:

3) Courtney Lee (Joerger connections)
4) Jeff Green
5) Matt Barnes

6) Arron Afflalo (California connection)

Personally, I think Vlade gives Rondo his offer (4 years/$60 mil) and if he takes it, we re-sign Rondo. If he doesn't, Rondo walks and we will be okay with Collison and a re-signed Seth Curry.

I get the feeling, because Joerger wants more ball movement, that Rondo will not be back.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The ONLY top free agents players I think we realistically have a shot at getting, sans a massive overpay are:

1)Rondo (DMC connection)
2)Ryan Anderson (Sacramento connection)

and former Joerger players:

3) Courtney Lee (Joerger connections)
4) Jeff Green
5) Matt Barnes

6) Arron Afflalo (California connection)

Personally, I think Vlade gives Rondo his offer (4 years/$60 mil) and if he takes it, we re-sign Rondo. If he doesn't, Rondo walks and we will be okay with Collison and a re-signed Seth Curry.

I get the feeling, because Joerger wants more ball movement, that Rondo will not be back.
I tend to agree. But if Dunn were to fall to 8, it's possible the Kings could sign both Anderson and Courtney Lee with the $25.5 million or so in caproom they are slated to have.

Cousins/Koufos
Cauley-Stein/R Anderson
Gay/Casspi/J Anderson or Butler (assuming they both opt in)
Lee/McLemore/Belinelli
Collison/Dunn

is pretty solid. Use the room exception for either Curry (if that's enough to land him) or Acy and sign a couple minimum contract guys for the last two spots and roll the ball out.

It's essentially an upgraded version of the Collison/McLemore/Gay/Thompson/Cousins lineup that was very effective two years ago but with a significantly upgraded bench.

I tend to agree. But if Dunn were to fall to 8, it's possible the Kings could sign both Anderson and Courtney Lee with the $25.5 million or so in caproom they are slated to have.

Cousins/Koufos
Cauley-Stein/R Anderson
Lee/McLemore/Belinelli
Collison/Dunn

is pretty solid. Use the room exception for either Curry (if that's enough to land him) or Acy and sign a couple minimum contract guys for the last two spots and roll the ball out.

It's essentially an upgraded version of the Collison/McLemore/Gay/Thompson/Cousins lineup that was very effective two years ago but with a significantly upgraded bench.

I love this if it were to happen, this would give us flexibility to trade Ben or Bellinelli or both during the season as well. Assuming we re-sign Curry.

Cousins/Koufos
Cauley-Stein/R Anderson
Lee/McLemore/Belinelli
Collison/Dunn

If Dunn fell in our laps, that would definitely be the dream scenario.

Let him walk.... He's a bottom tier starter imo. The NBA is deeper at pg than any other position. We had rondo at his best in a style that suited him perfectly and we still lost more than we won.

from this board, and from twitter... seems we don't deserve Rondo. I like him very much and was glad we had him last year and I hope to see what one more year with him - and a committed coaching staff - will bring.

but I'm in a small minority I guess. for me, I would adapt my defensive approach to let Rondo cheat and gamble when he's on the floor, and enjoy the rewards on offense (Kings scored hella points last year).

But it sounds like not meant to be.

Can't wait to see kingsfans.com just KILLING Collison next season every time he misses a clutch shot or turns it over in crunch time like y'all did last year.

edit: with that all said - if Vlade & Dave don't want him, then I'm good with that too. I'm all in with the org - starting at Vlade & Dave - they know hoops better than I

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
from this board, and from twitter... seems we don't deserve Rondo. I like him very much and was glad we had him last year and I hope to see what one more year with him - and a committed coaching staff - will bring.

but I'm in a small minority I guess. for me, I would adapt my defensive approach to let Rondo cheat and gamble when he's on the floor, and enjoy the rewards on offense (Kings scored hella points last year).

But it sounds like not meant to be.

Can't wait to see kingsfans.com just KILLING Collison next season every time he misses a clutch shot or turns it over in crunch time like y'all did last year.

edit: with that all said - if Vlade & Dave don't want him, then I'm good with that too. I'm all in with the org - starting at Vlade & Dave - they know hoops better than I
I'm definitely all-in on bringing back Rondo, I just don't see the point of trying to change anyone else's mind about it anymore and I think I've been loud enough already that people know where I stand. We all watched Collison start for a season and the general consensus then was that he was a decent starter but would make for an exceptional backup. Personally I thought the Rondo/Cousins tandem was one of the only bright spots of this past season with Cauley-Stein's development and Omri Casspi's ascent to elite shooter status being the others. If you've got a great tandem of PG and C and they play well together and they like each other well enough to hang out and discuss game tape in their free-time, why would you want to break that up? Maybe you can get someone else with a higher TS% or PER but are they going to replace everything else Rondo does? Are they going to form a close bond with DeMarcus? I also think Rondo has somehow become the scapegoat for George Karl's obsession with sacrificing defense to load more shooters on the floor. He had the same defensive rating this year as Kosta Koufos and Willie Cauley-Stein (only Cousins was better) yet he's "obviously terrible on defense" if you listen to Kings fans. I watched George Karl lose game after game in the fourth quarter with 3 guards on the floor, Rondo playing off the ball, and Rudy Gay playing PF. So it's pretty obvious to me what the big problems on this team were but like you I'm resigned to the fact that I'm just a fan and ultimately it doesn't matter what I want. I have strong opinions about what I'd like to see, but I'll watch whoever wears the uniform next season.

You can't wait? As in you can't wait for a scenario in which the Kings lose/struggle? It's statements like these that weed out the real Kings fans in my opinion. The ones who care more about being right than our team playing well.

I'd prefer us moving on from Rondo, but if we resign him, I'm not going to be rooting for him to fail. I'm going to hope he proves me wrong and the team is successful because of him.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
You can't wait? As in you can't wait for a scenario in which the Kings lose/struggle? It's statements like these that weed out the real Kings fans in my opinion. The ones who care more about being right than our team playing well.

I'd prefer us moving on from Rondo, but if we resign him, I'm not going to be rooting for him to fail. I'm going to hope he proves me wrong and the team is successful because of him.
I think he meant it sarcastically.