Let's look at the bright side for a moment.

Sorry if I got off track there. I was pretty tired when I posted that. Basically, the point I was trying to make towards the end is that big name free agent signing are rare, period. There hasn't been enough of them to say that big or small markets have an advantage. too small of a sample size. Which is why i still maintain that attracting free agents has little to do with market size in most cases.
No problem. Was coming off of a long national beer week and was quite tired myself. I think we will just have to agree to disagree.

The fact that the non locals are mostly the ones who will still follow the team demonstrates that pretty clearly. There's nothing that unites a region like rooting for your sports team. outside fans can still be just as passionate but they never have that same level of attachment that local fans do.
That is bull****. How can you assume to know what other people are feeling and thinking.

That is bull****. How can you assume to know what other people are feeling and thinking.
I'm not assuming anything. I'm making a judgement based on observable actions. The fact that local fans tend to be the ones who will not be able to support the team in another market suggests that the team means more to them on a personal level. If it didn't, they'd be easily able to just keep following it in a different market. Local fans feel like they're losing their girlfriend or something. The move just doesn't effect non local fans that same way because they don't have that same regional pride thing involved.

I'm not assuming anything. I'm making a judgement based on observable actions. The fact that local fans tend to be the ones who will not be able to support the team in another market suggests that the team means more to them on a personal level. If it didn't, they'd be easily able to just keep following it in a different market. Local fans feel like they're losing their girlfriend or something. The move just doesn't effect non local fans that same way because they don't have that same regional pride thing involved.
It is more regional pride then love of the team. If they loved the team so much they would follow them no matter where they go. You see what I did there.

It is more regional pride then love of the team. If they loved the team so much they would follow them no matter where they go. You see what I did there.
That's kind of like saying if you loved your girlfriend so much you'd keep in touch with her after she dumps you. Sometimes you just gotta cut ties all together and move on. I wish I could put my personal feelings aside and still follow/root for the team because I really like this team. I know I can't though. Heck, I haven't even been able to watch games for the last week or two because it just bums me out.

That's kind of like saying if you loved your girlfriend so much you'd keep in touch with her after she dumps you. Sometimes you just gotta cut ties all together and move on. I wish I could put my personal feelings aside and still follow/root for the team because I really like this team. I know I can't though. Heck, I haven't even been able to watch games for the last week or two because it just bums me out.
Like I said earlier regional pride. I have followed the Kings for 12 years now. I will not leave them now.

Like I said earlier regional pride. I have followed the Kings for 12 years now. I will not leave them now.
You're correct, it is because of regional pride. What i'm saying is that regional pride is strong enough for some folks that we can't imagine rooting for the team once they leave. Part of why we love The Kings so much is that we feel like they're our team. It's not that we won't still like the players we just won't have the enthusiasm/commitment for the team that we had while they were here. It seems a perfectly reasonable reaction to me and I'm honestly surprised that so many folks are looking down their noses at other fans as if they aren't real fans because of it. Not that you're doing that, but there's been a lot of around here for the last few days.

Last edited:
You're correct, it is because of regional pride. What i'm saying is that regional pride is strong enough for some folks that we can't imagine rooting for the team once they leave. Part of why we love The Kings so much is that we feel like they're our team. It's not that we won't still like the players we just won't have the enthusiasm/commitment for the team that we had while they were here. It seems a perfectly reasonable reaction to me and I'm honestly surprised that so many folks are looking down their noses at folks as if they aren't real fans because of it. Not that you're doing that, but there's been a lot of around here for the last few days.
Almost as bad as some saying that we outsiders do not have emotional attachment to the team as local fans.

Almost as bad as some saying that we outsiders do not have emotional attachment to the team as local fans.
You don't. That's not to say that you have a lesser emotion attachment, but it's different. Regional pride and loving the team are two different type of emotional attachments. Local fans are dealing with a double whammy because we love the team and have the regional pride thing. Whatever though, if you want to act like losing your hometown team doesn't sting in a way that outsiders just can't relate to, then go right ahead.

i never really felt any of that hometown pride thing with this team because everybody i knew couldnt get past all of the losses. they just saw a failure of a team, and i pretty much felt alone and continue to feel alone in my passion for the kings. so ya. thats not really an issue at all for me. but that doesnt mean i wont the $@#! out of them tho when theyre gone.

Who is looking down at you Rookie? Is it the guy you are arguing about big vs small markets who used quotations around the word fans in another thread, or the numerous people who say they will follow this team until the cows come home. I really don't understand why you keep bringing it up. If and when the Kings move, will that be the last of RookieOfTheDay? Let's be real, your too stubborn to leave! J/K, but seriously I agree with Aleks, it is ignorant to claim people outside the city are not as vested, I wouldn't want to be lumped into that crowd by you if I lived out of state or even county for that matter.

Who is looking down at you Rookie? Is it the guy you are arguing about big vs small markets who used quotations around the word fans in another thread, or the numerous people who say they will follow this team until the cows come home. I really don't understand why you keep bringing it up. If and when the Kings move, will that be the last of RookieOfTheDay? Let's be real, your too stubborn to leave! J/K, but seriously I agree with Aleks, it is ignorant to claim people outside the city are not as vested, I wouldn't want to be lumped into that crowd by you if I lived out of state or even county for that matter.
I never claimed people outside aren't as vested. It's a different kind of passion though. Is the idea that folks feel a special attachment to their hometown teams because they're the hometown team really that difficult to grasp? I thought it was pretty common knowledge but some of you are acting like it's an absurd concept or something. I'm beginning to wonder if folks aren't taking a contrary position merely for the sake of it.

I never claimed people outside aren't as vested. It's a different kind of passion though. Is the idea that folks feel a special attachment to their hometown teams because they're the hometown team really that difficult to grasp? I thought it was pretty common knowledge but some of you are acting like it's an absurd concept or something. I'm beginning to wonder if folks aren't taking a contrary position merely for the sake of it.
That is funny because you are the one that is trying to argue. It also funny that you were to trying to defend the orginal poster that I was quoting. You know damn well what I was arguing. Let me ask you this. Do you feel local fans are more invested emotionally than the rest?

Ahhhhh yes they are different kinds of passions. Well I pulled a Rookie then, I assumed that you were implying that out of towners are not as attached to the team as locals, just like you assume everyone who says they will still support the team is accusing you of being a crappy fan.

I think you are a great fan, and I can feel your hurt when you talk about this team being so close to being relevant again, only to have them leave, and I am here for you... brother. I was not trying to pick a fight, but rather I guess I did not want to feel like I will have have less of an attachment to my team, say if the physical distance between me and them increases. And I sure as heck would not want someone saying something to that effect. Back to the thread though, I hope they get the best FA they can possibly get, and I do think knucklehead millionaires find SoCal more appealing then Sac.

Last edited:
That is funny because you are the one that is trying to argue. It also funny that you were to trying to defend the orginal poster that I was quoting. You know damn well what I was arguing. Let me ask you this. Do you feel local fans are more invested emotionally than the rest?
I've addressed that multiple times now. There's an extra emotional attachment that comes from a team being your hometown team that isn't there otherwise. I'm not claiming that's the case with everyone, but it's the case with me and countless others. To use myself as an example of what I'm talking about, I'm a Celtics fans. If they moved from Boston, I'd still be a Celtics fan because I have no regional or emotional ties to Boston. However, I'd completely understand why Boston natives may not want to be fans any longer. I wouldn't sit there and be like...I'm a better fan than you guys because I'll still follow the team. That's just rubbing it people's faces. It sucks, bad, to lose your hometown team, especially when they're the only big game in town.

Last edited:
Ahhhhh yes they are different kinds of passions. Well I pulled a Rookie then, I assumed that you were implying that out of towners are not as attached to the team as locals, just like you assume everyone who says they will still support the team is accusing you of being a crappy fan.

I think you are a great fan, and I can feel your hurt when you talk about this team being so close to being relevant again, only to have them leave, and I am here for you... brother. I was not trying to pick a fight, but rather I guess I did not want to feel like I will have have less of an attachment to my team, say if the physical distance between me and them increases. And I sure as heck would not want someone saying something to that effect. Back to the thread though, I hope they get the best FA they can possibly get, and I do think knucklehead millionaires find SoCal more appealing then Sac.
Wrong. I assumed no such thing. I was referring to specific examples where people did that. You won't find anywhere where I claimed "everyone who says they will still support the team is accusing you of being a crappy fan". I understand that many people outside the region love this team and i think that's great! All I'm saying is that there's no way this move hurts fans outside the region the way it's hurting fans from/in the region. Outside fans can go on being fans easier because watching the games in Anaheim won't bring the same level of pain and disgust that it would bring to lifelong Sacramento folks.

I've addressed that multiple times now. There's an extra emotional attachment that comes from a team being your hometown team that isn't there otherwise. I'm not claiming that's the case with everyone, but it's the case with me and countless others. To use myself as an example of what I'm talking about, I'm a Celtics fans. If they moved from Boston, I'd still be a Celtics fan because I have no regional or emotional ties to Boston. However, I'd completely understand why Boston natives may not want to be fans any longer. I wouldn't sit there and be like...I'm a better fan than you guys because I'll still follow the team. That's just rubbing it people's faces. It sucks, bad, to lose your hometown team, especially when they're the only big game in town.
It still does not mean you care for the team or more attached to the team then other fans. That is like saying local fans are more attached and care more deeply about the team then other fans. Which I think is total bul****.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If you will still follow the Kings if they leave Sacramento, you are not a better fan nor are you a worse fan now.

If you will not follow the Kings if they leave Sacramento, you are not a better fan nor are you a worse fan now.

We've been over this so much already. No one likes being called out as a lesser fan. It's happened here for all sorts of other reasons over the years and it's always a cheap argument that helps nobody. You both obviously care a great deal. Let's just leave it at that.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If we're using the girlfriend metaphor, then what the city is doing to the Kings, would be like telling your girlfriend how much you want her and love her, and at the same time telling her she's not worth spenning a penny on. And 14 years later....

If we're using the girlfriend metaphor, then what the city is doing to the Kings...
If you're going to attribute the city government's actions to RookieOfTheDay, then you should at least give him credit for loaning her $75M.

P.S.: RotD, we can't define what a fan is. Not because it's impolite to, or against board rules, but because it's impossible, since there's no person or thing that defines a franchise. For some, not even a place. An owner could trade all the players, fire all the managers, and sell the team to owners who were going to move it and change the name and uniforms, and there'd still be a few people who would stick with that franchise. Don't ask me why, that's just how it is. So please take it down a notch, okay?

Last edited:
Yes for the simple fact that we are close to the players, and we are at the games. If you have never been to a playoff game at Arco then you haven't experienced what we have. Not to mention the whole reason I became a Kings fan was a bonding thing with my pops. I don't think watching something on a tv thousands of miles away can even come close to comparing to MY EXPERIENCE and emotions that are tied to the games I have seen here in person.

I have been to approx 600-700 games since 1989 including preseason, and playoff games. I had watched, listened or attended games for 10 years straight. And before that I had another 7 or 8 year streak going (with some time off when I was in college at UNR).

When someone from the other side of the globe or thousands of miles away checks a box score once and a while and writes about them as if they are his/her life and that they are bigger fans than the people that have been there and done that for 20 years then it kind of eats at me.

I am a diehard Bengal fan, and have pictures of myself as a kid in my Kenny Anderson Jersey but I have only attended the games they played at SF or Oakland. I have watched every single game for years (since league pass came out), but I wouldn't even consider myself in the same boat (fan wise) as someone who has had season tickets from Paul Brown Stadium to Riverfront for 20 years. That kind of a fan will always have one up on me because I don't live there and cannot be there in person to experience it.

Last edited:

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
There are Kings fans everywhere in California. In SoCal last year when we organized a group to go to the Kings-Clippers game at Staples, we had replies from 50+ fans down here and 30+ paid (the + is several bought last minute tickets I had to dig up) and went as part of the group. When we got to the arena our group of 30 was immediately behind a Jewish group of 75-100 there to support Omri. This year we got 20 to go but the main problem being the economy and it was the Clippers, Griffin not withstanding. We all have our histories of Sacramento and the Kings. Even now, I can go to a local sports bar (D Street Cafe or Oggi's, both in Encinitas) and have them put up the Kings game and get folks watching.

One thing I will add however, is how the Kings put Sacramento on the world map. Traveling around Europe or the Far East on business from 1998 through 2006, whenever I wore a Kings "T" or jacket, someone, somewhere would comment or give a thumbs up for the Kings. Previous to the Vlade era no one every remarked or made a comment about the Kings. Even now way down in Mexico on holiday (Cancun, Zihuatanejo, etc) wearing a Kings T always gets positive comments.

It's unfortunate some fans will support them anywhere while others will kiss them off when they leave Sacramento. How many of you-who-will-kiss-them-off, spent any time or effort 3, 4, 5 and 6 years ago actively supporting keeping the Kings in Sacramento? How many of you wrote letters to city council members and the mayor, to corporate business folk, to Cal Expo folk, etc. trying to get more support for a new arena? Living in Santa Cruz (getting CruzDude moniker) after moving there I did all of that many times. There are major developers and law firms behind the scenes who were involved (who also had season tickets too) but at the time they all wondered where the fans were in working the business and city worlds to help promote the need for a new arena.

Yes for the simple fact that we are close to the players, and we are at the games. If you have never been to a playoff game at Arco then you haven't experienced what we have. Not to mention the whole reason I became a Kings fan was a bonding thing with my pops. I don't think watching something on a tv thousands of miles away can even come close to comparing to MY EXPERIENCE and emotions that are tied to the games I have seen here in person.

I have been to approx 600-700 games since 1989 including preseason, and playoff games. I had watched, listened or attended games for 10 years straight. And before that I had another 7 or 8 year streak going (with some time off when I was in college at UNR).

When someone from the other side of the globe or thousands of miles away checks a box score once and a while and writes about them as if they are his/her life and that they are bigger fans than the people that have been there and done that for 20 years then it kind of eats at me.

I am a diehard Bengal fan, and have pictures of myself as a kid in my Kenny Anderson Jersey but I have only attended the games they played at SF or Oakland. I have watched every single game for years (since league pass came out), but I wouldn't even consider myself in the same boat (fan wise) as someone who has had season tickets from Paul Brown Stadium to Riverfront for 20 years. That kind of a fan will always have one up on me because I don't live there and cannot be there in person to experience it.

Obviously you are more better fan then me and the rest of the fans not living in Sacramento
:mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes: