Kings want Evans or Rubio?!

The Sacramento Kings are doing their best to convince people that they have Tyreke Evans at the top of their board.

Ok, how many leaks have there been about a Petrie pick? How many times did the so-called draft experts got a Kings pick wrong in their mock drafts? In my lifetime, there has been no leak, absolutely none, out of the Kings camp. Think about it, Petrie is a guy who wouldn't disclose what he had for breakfast that morning.

So if the report is to be believed, suddenly the Kings want people to know they like Evans?!! This is not even a leak, it's volunteered information - like opening up the war room and making their secret known.

All I have to say is, I don't buy it. This smells like a smokescreen. In fact, this makes me wonder if the Kings even like Evans at all. I'm almost convinced that just by leaking this info, it means the guy at the top of the Kings' draft board is anyone but Evans. Or, this maybe a ploy to encourage teams to make offers to trade up to the #4.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Honestly, Evans is a quantam leap ahead of where O.J. Mayo sat this time last season in terms of draft stock. Mayo served as USC's two-guard in his one collegiate season, and while showing great shooting range and athleticism, his stint with the Trojans didn't provide a real glimpse into his "quarterback" abilities. Fate forced Evans the other way. In December, with the Tigers struggling, Calipari moved Evans to point guard. The rest would be legend if Memphis had made the Final Four: until last week's loss to Missouri in the Sweet 16, the Tigers had reeled off 27 straight wins since Evans ascended.
Evans is ahead of where Mayo was last year only because last year's draft was so much better than this year. Mayo was a much better defensive player for USC than Evans was for Memphis last year. He also set a record for three point shooting. He didn't play PG like Evans did, but his jump shot was already perfect so he was guaranteed to at least be a scorer. Perfect jumpshot, some ability to play PG, and very very good defense with enough size to play SG made Mayo a very good all-around prospect. Evans hasn't been able to consistently hit jump shots in game situations and he's more of a slasher than a natural floor leader which I think leaves him with more question marks.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Evans is ahead of where Mayo was last year only because last year's draft was so much better than this year. Mayo was a much better defensive player for USC than Evans was for Memphis last year. He also set a record for three point shooting. He didn't play PG like Evans did, but his jump shot was already perfect so he was guaranteed to at least be a scorer. Perfect jumpshot, some ability to play PG, and very very good defense with enough size to play SG made Mayo a very good all-around prospect. Evans hasn't been able to consistently hit jump shots in game situations and he's more of a slasher than a natural floor leader which I think leaves him with more question marks.
You certainly have the general perception of Evans down. Hard to argue with facts, and the facts are that he didn't shoot the ball well. That said, he does appear to have all the tools to be a good defender. I hate to keep bringing up Wade, because I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying he's the next Wade. But Wade wasn't a very good shooter coming out of college. He's still not a good 3pt shooter, which is why he doesn't take many. Wade was a slasher, and still is to a certain extent. But his midrange shot has improved dramaticly. I think that Wade is a little better athlete than Evans, but Evans is a little longer athlete.

I still like Rubio as my point guard of choice at this point. My second choice is Flynn(I'm pretty sure what I'm getting in him). But there is something about Evans that I can't put my finger on that tells me he's going to be a star.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
You certainly have the general perception of Evans down. Hard to argue with facts, and the facts are that he didn't shoot the ball well. That said, he does appear to have all the tools to be a good defender. I hate to keep bringing up Wade, because I don't want anyone to think that I'm saying he's the next Wade. But Wade wasn't a very good shooter coming out of college. He's still not a good 3pt shooter, which is why he doesn't take many. Wade was a slasher, and still is to a certain extent. But his midrange shot has improved dramaticly. I think that Wade is a little better athlete than Evans, but Evans is a little longer athlete.

I still like Rubio as my point guard of choice at this point. My second choice is Flynn(I'm pretty sure what I'm getting in him). But there is something about Evans that I can't put my finger on that tells me he's going to be a star.
While I think Mayo was clearly the more polished player coming out of college (really, he's one of the few guys who would have been great right out of high school I think) -- a case could certainly made that Evans has more room to grow. He's bigger and longer than Mayo, and by looks I'd say just a bit faster as well, so he should be the better defender long term if he commits to it consistently. Mayo had an attitude out there on defense that he wasn't going to take plays off. That's where Evans needs to get eventually.

Offensively I think Evans is better at getting to the basket. Mayo mostly uses his dribble moves to set up his jump shot and has some trouble getting by defenders. Whether Evans can play PG or not is a whole different question, but I don't think Mayo will ever be an NBA point guard and he's already carved out a pretty good role for himself. Like you said, if he's anything close to Dwayne Wade, it doesn't matter if he can play PG or not. I'd be happy if Evans is the pick. We need a PG obviously, but Evans can get a trial run there for a year or so while we don't have any better options and see if he sticks. We need the best player available no matter what.

gunks

Hall of Famer
If we could switch some picks with Minnie like some people were saying I'd be a happy camper.

We could probably get Flynn at 6, and if we move up from 23 to 18(? that was it right?), that could get us Teague or Williams.

I loved the quote about the Kings making lots of moves draft day. I'm getting antsy.

Evans or Rubio at #4 sounds good.

If they go with Evans, pick a solid back up PG at #23 also. PGs are high value down the line even if we don't end up using the player. We all know Beno will be shopped through out the season.

I concur :)

We should be drafting TWO point guards this year regardless, since Beno is not in our future plans.

I like that also, but if we are going to be aggressive we need some more picks to go with the 4th and 23rd in the first round
Not necessarily more. There is a saturation point where you can have too many rookies. However, trading up and getting better picks so we can get the players that Geoff and Jason really like would be a good type of aggression.