Kings want Evans or Rubio?!

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Word-on-the-Street-June-16th-3263

-The Sacramento Kings
are doing their best to convince people that they have Tyreke Evans at the top of their board, even going as far as to tell Evans as much in their workout last week. Most NBA people we speak to believe that this is nothing more than them “blowing smoke” in order to give themselves a backup plan in case Rubio is gone at #2 or #3, and also to “stir the pot” amongst Rubio’s camp. The Kings would very likely want Rubio to work out for them rather than just conduct a meet and greet, but as of right now there are no plans for that.

-In the unlikely case that Rubio slips past Sacramento, it appears that Washington will not hesitate to pick him if they feel like he’s indeed the best player on their draft board. The prevailing sentiment at the moment is that Rubio is not in a position to return to Joventut, and that he may have lost some of the leverage he once had by keeping his name in the draft and suing his former team.
Really it makes sense. Probably one of they highest ranked youngsters in the draft and which ever one is there we are likely to pick. I wonder what our thinking would be if both are gone by the time we are on the clock? Would we go for Thabeet or go with someone else?!

a combo guard again?

it could be a ruse.. i mean if we SHOW okc and memphis we are desperate for rubio they would want us to cough up more than we should..

i really think our back up at the point will be flynn.. if rubio is taken, I see us picking harden and trading him to some other team for a point and an extra pick.

if they want excitement back in arco i dont see petrie passing up on rubio... hes got youth.

if no rubio

Flynn.. cause picking holiday at the 4th might be too high.

or draft jennings and swap him for rubio...

Last edited:
I'm stoked with either payer. In fact, I have moments where Evans excites me more than Rubio. So it's a win-win whichever way we go between those two. Fynn would be nice too.

I think part of this might be for the teams behind us. It sounds like there are some teams in this draft who really like Tyreke Evans. That way if Rubio is gone then Petrie can possibly get more for the pick and trade down a few spots (i.e. Minny at 6 who seems to really like Evans to play along side Foye and Telfair) and get our PG.

what about this one??

Jordan Hill Getting Love: The latest on Jordan Hill is he has some serious interest from several teams. The Sacramento Kings see him as the fall back plan. If they cannot get Rubio in trade or fail to make the other moves they are considering trading down for Jordan Hill seems to be a viable option, especially if it helps them move off Kenny Thomas or the long term deal of Beno Udrih. The Kings are expected to be aggressive on draft night and could have some splashy moves in the works according to sources. Hill also seems to have drawn the affections of Washington at #5 if they keep the pick.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12958

This just doesn´t make sense. Why in the world should we go again for a big. We´ve already found our two starting bigs in Thompson and Hawes. We need a point guard. And if not a point guard, I don´t picking Harden.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The Kings are expected to be aggressive on draft night and could have some splashy moves in the works according to sources.
This is the part I like hearing. An aggressive FO on draft night. Kinda wonder what has lit a fire under them this year..... ;)

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think it is a carbon copy of Jason Thompson. And if other teams see that as an asset it could be a tool to bring us in something down the road.

what about this one??

Jordan Hill Getting Love: The latest on Jordan Hill is he has some serious interest from several teams. The Sacramento Kings see him as the fall back plan. If they cannot get Rubio in trade or fail to make the other moves they are considering trading down for Jordan Hill seems to be a viable option, especially if it helps them move off Kenny Thomas or the long term deal of Beno Udrih. The Kings are expected to be aggressive on draft night and could have some splashy moves in the works according to sources. Hill also seems to have drawn the affections of Washington at #5 if they keep the pick.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12958

thats what i want to see!! thats what i want them to do on draft night! be as aggressive as you can be

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Interesting chatter. So the Kings might be saying (not necessarily truthfully) that if they don't get one big guard in Rubio they'll take another big guard in Evans. At least it makes some sense. There are several small guards in this draft. How much different are they from one another? Is Flynn >> Mills? I doubt it. Is Flynn > Teague? Well, maybe, sort of. The Kings might go bigger with the first pick and then take the best of the smaller guards left at #23. Just a thought...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This is the part I like hearing. An aggressive FO on draft night. Kinda wonder what has lit a fire under them this year..... ;)
Lack of attendance!!! They seem to be doing everything possible to keep the fans interested this off-season. Which is fine with me. Something to talk about..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Interesting chatter. So the Kings might be saying (not necessarily truthfully) that if they don't get one big guard in Rubio they'll take another big guard in Evans. At least it makes some sense. There are several small guards in this draft. How much different are they from one another? Is Flynn >> Mills? I doubt it. Is Flynn > Teague? Well, maybe, sort of. The Kings might go bigger with the first pick and then take the best of the smaller guards left at #23. Just a thought...
Also, don't forget that there are going to be some players available in the off-season. Ramon Sessions springs to mind in the free agent dept. Its also possible that they might trade for a pt guard.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
a combo guard again?

it could be a ruse.. i mean if we SHOW okc and memphis we are desperate for rubio they would want us to cough up more than we should..

i really think our back up at the point will be flynn.. if rubio is taken, I see us picking harden and trading him to some other team for a point and an extra pick.

if they want excitement back in arco i dont see petrie passing up on rubio... hes got youth.

if no rubio

Flynn.. cause picking holiday at the 4th might be too high.

or draft jennings and swap him for rubio...
I understand your inference with the combo guard. But its not a bad word, once you wash Douby out of your mouth. Wade is a combo guard. As is Arenas and probably O.J. Mayo could be included in that group. So it depends on who your talking about. If Evans come closer to being Wade than he does Douby, then no one will be complaining. Personally I like Flynn. But I could live with Evans, who I think has star potential.

I think I said that on the draft thread not sure, but my thinking is why not get a Tyreke Evans and play the match ups and get a Lawson or a more traditional point at 23? With Evans you can play the matchups and use a huge lineup very few teams could defend. Picture this Evans K-Mart Garcia Thompson Hawes. Your above 6-5 for every player who can throw that at you? Or Evans K-Mart Donte Thompson Hawes virtually unguardable. Then against smaller quicker pg's you use your more traditional pg.

I can't see Evans being in Mayo's league, Mayo has/had a better bball IQ, quicker off the dribble, more creative off the dribble, a much more smoother game, and a far better shot. Evans is bigger, longer, and stronger than Mayo though. I think if Evans is going to make it, it's going to be at SG. He has all the physical tools to be a SG so I don't know why people are fretting about him being a "combo" guard.

I think I said that on the draft thread not sure, but my thinking is why not get a Tyreke Evans and play the match ups and get a Lawson or a more traditional point at 23? With Evans you can play the matchups and use a huge lineup very few teams could defend. Picture this Evans K-Mart Garcia Thompson Hawes. Your above 6-5 for every player who can throw that at you? Or Evans K-Mart Donte Thompson Hawes virtually unguardable. Then against smaller quicker pg's you use your more traditional pg.
I agree that, but the PG we already have BENO,whoever is determined to nowhere to go but up next year:p, so th 23 pick and 31 pick I prefer just taking the BEST in our rebulid case, just a opinion....

I can't see Evans being in Mayo's league, Mayo has/had a better bball IQ, quicker off the dribble, more creative off the dribble, a much more smoother game, and a far better shot. Evans is bigger, longer, and stronger than Mayo though. I think if Evans is going to make it, it's going to be at SG. He has all the physical tools to be a SG so I don't know why people are fretting about him being a "combo" guard.
When EVANS moves to the PG position in the middle of this season , the Memphis starts to win running games, so I think he can be qualified the

"combo" guard like mayo and roy.....

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/04/01/can-tyreke-evans-be-a-star-nba-point-guard/

Quote:
Honestly, Evans is a quantam leap ahead of where O.J. Mayo sat this time last season in terms of draft stock. Mayo served as USC's two-guard in his one collegiate season, and while showing great shooting range and athleticism, his stint with the Trojans didn't provide a real glimpse into his "quarterback" abilities. Fate forced Evans the other way. In December, with the Tigers struggling, Calipari moved Evans to point guard. The rest would be legend if Memphis had made the Final Four: until last week's loss to Missouri in the Sweet 16, the Tigers had reeled off 27 straight wins since Evans ascended.

Quote2:
But that's OK! Look at (ahem) Dwyane Wade. In his sophomore season at Marquette, Wade averaged 27 points, 5.5 assists and four turnovers per 40 minutes. Evans averaged 24/5/5. But Wade turned 21 during his sophomore season; Evans turned 19 two months before this season began. Wade's freshman numbers are nearly identical to those of Evans (even true shooting percentage is dead close).

Last edited:
I know mills was at the goldenstate camp.....but I wonder why they haven't worked him out? they have everybody.

Evans, Casspi and Mills, what do you guys think?

When EVANS moves to the PG position in the middle of this season , the Memphis starts to win running games, so I think he can be qualified the

"combo" guard like mayo and roy.....

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/04/01/can-tyreke-evans-be-a-star-nba-point-guard/

Quote:
Honestly, Evans is a quantam leap ahead of where O.J. Mayo sat this time last season in terms of draft stock. Mayo served as USC's two-guard in his one collegiate season, and while showing great shooting range and athleticism, his stint with the Trojans didn't provide a real glimpse into his "quarterback" abilities. Fate forced Evans the other way. In December, with the Tigers struggling, Calipari moved Evans to point guard. The rest would be legend if Memphis had made the Final Four: until last week's loss to Missouri in the Sweet 16, the Tigers had reeled off 27 straight wins since Evans ascended.

Quote2:
But that's OK! Look at (ahem) Dwyane Wade. In his sophomore season at Marquette, Wade averaged 27 points, 5.5 assists and four turnovers per 40 minutes. Evans averaged 24/5/5. But Wade turned 21 during his sophomore season; Evans turned 19 two months before this season began. Wade's freshman numbers are nearly identical to those of Evans (even true shooting percentage is dead close).
Well personally I think Mayo and Roy are both better PG's than Evans in terms of IQ and decision making, but I didn't say he wasn't capable of playing some point, I basically said he has the physical tools to be a SG, so there's no need to worry about him not having a position in the NBA.

Evans or Rubio at #4 sounds good.

If they go with Evans, pick a solid back up PG at #23 also. PGs are high value down the line even if we don't end up using the player. We all know Beno will be shopped through out the season.

This draft is starting to look a lot better then I thought it would be...

At this point I will take whoever. I just hope that Petrie gets the best player available.

Gotta love how everybody claims to have inside information, and that it points clearly to us picking Evans, and Hill, and Holiday at #4. I have to wonder how much of this is intentional disinformation spread by the FO, or journalists and bloggers just making stuff up. Because at least 2 out of these 3 rumors are false, and more than likely all of them are. Geoff won't let the world see any of the important workout videos, because he keeps personnel decisions as his depest, darkest secret. He's not going to tell anyone what's on his mind, especially a journalist.

Oh well, reports like these still provide badly-needed TDOS entertainment value.

I'm stoked with either payer. In fact, I have moments where Evans excites me more than Rubio. So it's a win-win whichever way we go between those two. Fynn would be nice too.
I feel the same way. I'd much rather have Rubio at this point, but I'm happy with Evans as long as we use our other picks wisely.

At this point, I'll be happy with whoever Petrie picks that isn't named Jennings or Hill. I think Curry has a much lower ceiling than some people think, but I'm starting to change my mind a little about him.

If Ricky Rubio is sitting there at #4 I'd be pretty surprised if the Kings did not select him even if Thabeet is there and/or Evans. I'd be very happy with him and I think since Maloof's are always "involved" they see his marketing and entertainment value - at least hope it's something they can bank on. Of course, there's still the issue of his buyout in Spain so that could be a deal breaker - but I doubt it.

I feel the same way. I'd much rather have Rubio at this point, but I'm happy with Evans as long as we use our other picks wisely.
I know this isn't 'kosher' around these parts, but I'm starting to lean towards Evans over Rubio ever so slightly. I think in between a Dwayne Wade/Rodney Stuckey isn't far off for him.

S

sactownfan

Kings draft board...

Rubio beats Holiday by a little
Holiday beats Flynn by a little

Rubio/Holiday/Flynn