[Game] Kings vs San Antonio Spurs, 3/7/2024, 7:00p PT/10:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ellis needs to start at the 2 already.
It’s a serious consideration at this point. However, I don’t see it potentially happening until the playoffs when Brown makes a “series adjustment” and inserts him into the starting lineup.

In the offseason, I could see Huerter being traded which would open up that starting SG spot up for Ellis (or even Colby considering how well he’s been playing in the G League and that he has a lot of ‘Doug Christie’ in him). In fact, I wouldn’t be all that shocked if our 4 guard rotation ends up becoming Fox, Monk, Ellis, and Jones. Considering their contracts (Ellis & Jones), it would certainly help keep our payroll down if we could rely on both of those guys as key contributors.

The funny thing is that both Ellis and Jones have a longer wingspan and longer standing reach than Huerter so we’d be improving our length, defense, and ball handling with a Huerter for Ellis/Jones swap. The only question will be if Ellis/Jones can shoot the ball well enough to be a legitimate starting caliber player. Ellis has looked good so far in that department.

The other advantage of starting someone like Ellis over Huerter is that Ellis is best defending 1-2 while Huerter is best defending 2-3. That means you could assign Ellis to the more difficult PG or SG on the opposing team and have Fox take the easier assignment (conserving his energy for scoring and the 4th quarter). You can’t really do that with Huerter.

Well, thankfully the KINGS performance the last :57.7 seconds of the game kept my Samsung HDTV intact, as I seriously considered launching my remote into it with a very high rate of force had they lost to this $#/t team.

First HB with the urgency to put his head down and drive for a quick 2, then Domas with solid defense on the switch forcing Branham into a tough shot, then Monk with the effort play to secure the loose ball followed by his calm, cool, cold-blooded 3, then HB and Keon with the pressure defense leading to biggest end-of-game defensive play (and dunk) I ever recall Domas making as a KING, then Keegan and HB with “good enough” contest to prevent disaster.

My TV (and remote) are extremely grateful.

When the Kings don't hit their 3's and Fox isn't rolling, this isn't even a play in team. It's been that drastic this season. It's not even playing down to the competition, it's a result of being a team oriented 3 point focused shooting team.
I’ve been saying it for a long while now. This team‘s fortunes rely to heavily upon their 3 point shooting. But the same is true of many teams of this era, I suppose.

Any time this team loses or is losing, and I review the boxscore, it’s either the 3 point shooting or the free throw line disparity. Sometimes both.

And still manages to chip-in 20 points most nights,

I tried to educate the naysayers that his subdued performances the 2nd half of last season and during the postseason were largely due to his health. Many didn’t wanted to hear or acknowledge it.

The likes of Kevon Looney can’t hold a candle to Domas when relatively healthy. The production and head2head battles this season bear that out.

with all respect to Keon, but in this particular moment there was nothing special in Keon's defense - all credit goes to Sabonis:

I didn't say it was special, Keons pressure forced the player into one of the worst positions you can be in. Never stick to a corner, never throw a pass up and sideways like that with defenders lurking. That's exactly how you can get picked off. Great pick for sure and Domas is without doubt the hero here, but Keon angling his man towards the baseline essentially boxed his man in, and playing low took away a straight bounce pass as well. Arc on a pass like that is the enemy of a passer under pressure. And pressure is the key. Even Fox mentioned in the post game the Kings need to pressure more. That's proven to be the only legit form of defense the Kings can rely on this season.

Ok. So I just did something I don’t often do anymore and that’s watch “Inside the NBA”. This might be the 3rd or 4th time I’ve watched a short portion of it this season.

I already knew it was BAD (which is why I mostly avoid it) but it’s still hard for me to believe just how BAD it really is. I mean, these guys get paid megabucks to know absolutely nothing about what’s actually going on in the league. It’s clear as day that Shaq, Kenny and Chuck don’t bother doing any research whatsoever and often don’t even know the names of many players nor which teams they play for.

Tonight, Barkley was railing on the KINGS for having the worst defense in the league and that’s why he’d take Dallas over them in a potential play-in matchup.

Does TNT have any interns capable of fact-checking these guys and furnishing them with accurate data? Because not only are the KINGS not the worst defense in the league, many sources I’ve seen have them around the middle of the pack or worse case in the low 20’s. And even more hilarious than that — the Mavericks defense is rated worse!

What bothers me about Barkley, Shaq, and Kenny is that when they push these false or misleading narratives — there are lots of casual fans watching and listening. Is it that damned hard to pay just a little bit of attention or at least have an intern fact check your dumb @$$?

We get it. The KINGS are not a postseason front runner nor considered a legit threat to advanced very far. But citing defense as the reason they won’t beat a statistically worse defensive team is just dreadful analysis. It’s unbecoming of what shows like that are supposed to be about.

These clowns should be imprisoned for stealing their paychecks. And if basketball analysis isn’t what they are there for — then stop having them talk about the games and the players! Have them narrate and comment on tiktok videos or something similarly unfunny.

Ok. So I just did something I don’t often do anymore and that’s watch “Inside the NBA”. This might be the 3rd or 4th time I’ve watched a short portion of it this season.

I already knew it was BAD (which is why I mostly avoid it) but it’s still hard for me to believe just how BAD it really is. I mean, these guys get paid megabucks to know absolutely nothing about what’s actually going on in the league. It’s clear as day that Shaq, Kenny and Chuck don’t bother doing any research whatsoever and often don’t even know the names of many players nor which teams they play for.

Tonight, Barkley was railing on the KINGS for having the worst defense in the league and that’s why he’d take Dallas over them in a potential play-in matchup.

Does TNT have any interns capable of fact-checking these guys and furnishing them with accurate data? Because not only are the KINGS not the worst defense in the league, many sources I’ve seen have them around the middle of the pack or worse case in the low 20’s. And even more hilarious than that — the Mavericks defense is rated worse!

What bothers me about Barkley, Shaq, and Kenny is that when they push these false or misleading narratives — there are lots of casual fans watching and listening. Is it that damned hard to pay just a little bit of attention or at least have an intern fact check your dumb @$$?

We get it. The KINGS are not a postseason front runner nor considered a legit threat to advanced very far. But citing defense as the reason they won’t beat a statistically worse defensive team is just dreadful analysis. It’s unbecoming of what shows like that are supposed to be about.

These clowns should be imprisoned for stealing their paychecks. And if basketball analysis isn’t what they are there for — then stop having them talk about the games and the players! Have them narrate and comment on tiktok videos or something similarly unfunny.
The good thing about all this is that whatever side Barkley is picking to advance in a playoff series most of the times it is the other one winning it. Happened with the Kings too last season when he "guaranteed" that they would beat the Warriors. Hopefully no play in will be needed and Suns, Mavs, Lakers and Warriors will battle it themselves.

Seeing our opponents not missing free throws that often (Spurs were 100% good that Kings lost only one, Sabonis in the 4th "ruining" the 100%) I "googled" it and the Kings' opponents shoot 81% from the free throw line the 3rd best (or worst) in the league behind 81.2 (Nets) and 81.4 (Pistons).

Kings are "dead last" in opponents free throw percentage at G1C with 81.8% (Nets are 2nd with 80.5) which is very high and it doesn't make so much sense given the fact that is one of the loudest arenas in the league. Not so many "cookies" moments lately... maybe there should be some "gimmicks" behind the baskets to distract the opponents? It is hard to estimate why is this happening, but I think it has to do with the fact that many players find their rhythm versus the Kings, feel confident about themselves hitting many (mostly open) shots, so they have positive vibes getting their free throws as well.

When on the road Kings' opponents hit 80.4% tied 6th worst along with Denver. The fact that Pistons are also quite high in those rankings makes me think that teams don't have that much stress playing against them especially in 2023 where they were getting beaten non stop with big margins.

It's time for the Kings to relax, kick back, and jack, jack, jack away. After all, they deserve it. They won against the freaking Lakers and tonight is a back-to-back. Take 'er easy. They need the rest. Vivek should get them all recliners for their bench seating. No need to stress about defense and all that effort stuff. Wemby isn't playing so it's basically a JV high school team they'll be facing. Piece of cake.
And there you go. Correct right from the get-go.

Too close for my heart condition still happy for the win. Domas is a stud, just wish his supporting cast would make it easier for him.
Ellis needs Huerters minutes, from my observation last years three point contest signalled his downward spiral. Hope a change of teams benefits both parties.
I would be astonished if Huerter was still here next season. Barnes as well. It’s pretty clear by now that those guys are our biggest pain points. Hopefully we find takers this offseason.

Most people who watch them don't really care about the facts. They listen because they are entertained by them always clowning around. Charles is a huge draw. Even when he says things that aren't true, he's extremely compelling and entertaining.

I have been championing Keon Ellis and it's not surprising to me to see the Kings have success when he plays.

I dont understand how or why he fell out of the rotation, but he needs to get more minutes.

Keon impacts the game in so many ways, especially defensively with movement and deflections.

Domas is a damn stud. Trading Haliburton for Domas was absolutely the right move, as well as reupping him as soon as possible.

Keegan needs to be more aggressive. Somebody needs to show him video of Tim Duncan getting the ball on the wing and going in to a triple threat position, hitting the bank shot or making a pass, but being a threat. The one thing the offense is missing is Keegan being a triple threat on the wing.

Monk is running away with the 6th MOY award. Super happy for him. "Monk ain't no Punk". We need a shirt that says that, with artwork of him flexing after the dunk in Utah.

Fox was Fox. 17 in the 4th. He got some bad calls but the Kings got the dub so no harm, no foul. 32 shots is probably top much to score 33 but that's your superstar.

We need to stomp on the throat of crappy teams in the 3rd. That's our issue.
Well well well... What a game, what a win! oh, to be precise - crappy game, exceptional win :)

Very good pointers in your post.

First one I want to address - 3rd quarter. I watched all Bulls 1995-1996 season games, preseason too. Some - live, but not in Chicago. Ticket prices were nuts, I would drive to Milwaukee, Cleveland. One of the hallmarks of Phil's and Bulls team as a whole was the 3rd quarter. If first half something was not clicking - the game looked different after the break. Somewhere were stats about Bulls exploits in the 3rd, they were impressive, to say the least. Point is simple - best teams and best coaches (with coaches especially in Europe) understand what and how is needed to be adjusted and do that. BIG room for the Kings to improve. Sure, today's NBA is like WWE show, refs do whatever and to play defense is not allowed. Chicago announcers had an expression: "Let the dobermans loose". Meaning, that Bulls would start clamping down on defense. It worked. Usually, that season, 4th q was stress-less. Just cruising to the another W.

Keon. It's not important who starts the game. Huerter is an integral part of Kings O and D. There are plenty plays on O where he does everything automatically. Problem? He stopped to be efficient. OK, play him at the start of the game and the start of the 3rd and if he is a non factor - that's why teams have bench players.

Keegan goes through maturing doldrums. I hope and wish for him to settle down ASAP :)

Fox was Fox. Sometimes special, sometimes - not so.

Monk is locked as 6th MOY, nobody is even close.

Domas is Domas. He loves the game. He wants to win every game. After so-so start of the season, for himself and Kings, last 3? 4? 5? months his game went up a notch. And keeps going up. Relentless rebounding, exceptional passing, efficient scoring - a gem is still being polished. Pacers fans were united in one: Domas was untradeable. Lucky for Kings, Carlisle was a wrong coach for Domas and the rest is history.

OK boys :) Maybe this win will install some special juice into Kings. Because we, as fans, can take just that much ;)

First one I want to address - 3rd quarter. I watched all Bulls 1995-1996 season games, preseason too. Some - live, but not in Chicago. Ticket prices were nuts, I would drive to Milwaukee, Cleveland. One of the hallmarks of Phil's and Bulls team as a whole was the 3rd quarter. If first half something was not clicking - the game looked different after the break. Somewhere were stats about Bulls exploits in the 3rd, they were impressive, to say the least. Point is simple - best teams and best coaches (with coaches especially in Europe) understand what and how is needed to be adjusted and do that. BIG room for the Kings to improve. Sure, today's NBA is like WWE show, refs do whatever and to play defense is not allowed. Chicago announcers had an expression: "Let the dobermans loose". Meaning, that Bulls would start clamping down on defense. It worked. Usually, that season, 4th q was stress-less. Just cruising to the another W.
The Warriors during their dynasty were always "killing" their opponent in the 3rd quarter, there is an article trying to find out why this was happening so often.

https://psf.app/nba/the-golden-state-warriors-the-best-third-quarter-team-in-nba-history

Status
Not open for further replies.