[Game] Kings vs Clippers, 2/24/2023 7:30pm Pacific 10:30pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Fox completely turned it around after his mini-slump this season.
His mini-slump was the result of playing through injury, both he and Domas and even rookie Keegan, who is the only top rookie starting on a playoff team but also not getting a ton of respect while he is going to break the 3pt record for a rookie on far and away less shots than the top 3 people before him ...

...anyways I got sidetracked.

Fox played through injury when every other star in the league takes nights off for rest/load management.

Oh, BTW, Kings lead on Sportscenter.
Full game recap with generous Kings highlights!

This was for sure an arrival game. Playing one of the best coached teams in the league with their shiny new MVP having a career resurgence night and Kawhi being unstoppable with Domas getting sniped by the refs and we still pulled this out against all odds. In another year we lose this game by 300.

His mini-slump was the result of playing through injury, both he and Domas and even rookie Keegan, who is the only top rookie starting on a playoff team but also not getting a ton of respect while he is going to break the 3pt record for a rookie on far and away less shots than the top 3 people before him ...

...anyways I got sidetracked.

Fox played through injury when every other star in the league takes nights off for rest/load management.
Or because their plane got delayed.....

It's not clips peeps I don't think. The NBA reddit. We're third in the West, have been for two months, we're closer to the 2 seed. We're a good team that still gets no respect because we are kept off tv.

Fox goes to the all star game and doesn't even receive the inbounds passes as a PG.

People are going to be in for an awakening in May and June.
I love it, no respect, all the better. The fans, management, and most importantly the players know when symbiotic. This game showed alot. I'd love the Kings to get the Warriors in a series with Curry healthy.....you talk about a chip on the shoulder. Tonight the Kings proved it.

Really p's me off over on reddit a lot of "Russ lost" "Ty Lue is a bad coach" "Clippers collapsed"

No. The Kings won this game. They won it. They overcame questionable officiating, their other all star being removed from the game in the span of 30 seconds by horrifically non-existent calls, and a few calls that deliberately tried to swing the game. Also the non-kick kick ball is what swung the game one last time until we recovered.

But WE RECOVERED. WE WON. Nobody choked. WE just WON.
Questionable is being super kind.

Inept is probably a better word.

We can say it now and not have it be ”sour grapes”. But that was DISGRACEFUL.

I realize that the FT numbers and total foul numbers ended up nearly identical between the teams, but at one point late in the 1st half the Clippers had like 20 attempts to the KINGS 8.

Domas continues to get hammered consistently w/o many calls then on the other end the slightest bump is called against him. The illegal screen was BS. And so was the late foul they called on him against Kawhi.

The blocking call against Metu — who was clearly set — was the point where I was completely convinced the officials were going to gift the game to the Clips.

But Malik and De’Aaron gave them a gigantic FU!

All right folks, keep it rolling. I gotta go back and watch this one from the beginning. See you on the flip side.
I would like a rewatch if I could figure out what the hell is up with my LP. I went upstairs to get dinner and missed part of the 4th quarter.
I'll take a recorded version of this game. Someone toss that bad boy onto a DVD and send me a copy of it, LOL!!!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Kawhi had a few amazing defensive plays, especially in the OT's, but yeah. I think his trademark defense has certainly been taken down a few pegs over the years and injuries. He's still one of the best players in the league on offense though, as he damn well showed tonight.
he was the one who had the crunch time blocks and steals on Fox, but I don't blame you for not noticing. there wasn't much defense played by either team tonight
I did forget about his two blocks at the end. I guess I wasn't as impressed with those at the time because it seemed like it was more a matter of Fox being tired and not having his usual finishing burst near the basket and a little less loft on his floater than usual. He's going to be a problem in the playoffs for sure though we maybe found an answer with the aggressive doubling at the end.

we maybe found an answer with the aggressive doubling at the end.
This is a great point. Quite honestly, as well as Malik and De’Aaron played, a strong argument could be made that the late-game trapping and aggressive defense is what changed the game and won it for the KINGS.

IIRC they had not one, but two instances of coming back from 9 or 10 points in an instant when the outcome seemed like it might have been decided.

At the end, they got down 6 yet scored the last 7, I believe, to steal the game.

Swipa’s steal from Plumlee might have been the play of the game. All from the pressure defense.

Questionable is being super kind.

Inept is probably a better word.

We can say it now and not have it be ”sour grapes”. But that was DISGRACEFUL.

I realize that the FT numbers and total foul numbers ended up nearly identical between the teams, but at one point late in the 1st half the Clippers had like 20 attempts to the KINGS 8.

Domas continues to get hammered consistently w/o many calls then on the other end the slightest bump is called against him. The illegal screen was BS. And so was the late foul they called on him against Kawhi.

The blocking call against Metu — who was clearly set — was the point where I was completely convinced the officials were going to gift the game to the Clips.

But Malik and De’Aaron gave them a gigantic FU!
The Metu call was an utter disgrace. If they gave Plumlee the charge vs Domas, in which HE WAS MOVING and shoulder-checked Domas, then there's no damn way that Metu play was a blocking foul. I thought that was a clean charge anyway, but they just totally threw the standard they set in the game out of the window because one guy was Paul George and the other was Metu.

The Paul George leg kick was another. Should have been an offensive foul, ended up being a 3-point play.

Allowing Norm Powell and Kawhi Leonard to get to the line at will with ticky tack call after call

The kick ball off Russ's foot that they let go and sparked the LAC run

Deliberately getting Domas out of the game with the 2 quick fouls at the end of the 1st half, that just straight up were horrible calls from Tony Brothers.

I guess the great thing is we're so used to getting screwed at this point that the guys have just learned to accept that they won't get called fairly and fight through it. I remember us saying this at the beginning of the year too, but the Kings have absolutely adopted an "us against the world" mentality and they play like it (almost) every game.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Seems like KG to me in terms of loyalty to a city while playing for a franchise that does everything possible to blow his prime
well uh... prior to Monte and Coach Brown ...

Honestly Portland has had a string of bad GMs since Pritchard left. Although Olshey did draft Lillard, he just completely killed the team with his 2016 spending spree (and then still matched a huge offer on Allen Crabbe who immediately went back to average after getting paid). The new guy Cronin has no clue. Their medical trainers seem to be as bad as the Kings worst. It's pretty sad because they provided me with a lot of entertaining ball while we were down.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Seems like KG to me in terms of loyalty to a city while playing for a franchise that does everything possible to blow his prime
Yeah, I agree. I admire Lillard's commitment in trying to get it done for the franchise that drafted him but the Blazers are fumbling his career into the gutter and its sad to see. Other guys are demanding trades out of much better situations than he's in. I'm certain they would trade him if he asked for it and a fresh start might be what's best for him and for the Blazers.

I agree with you. I thought Fox got completely disrespected and disregarded in the All-Star game. His teammates who had the ball treated him like a random player who was there in place of an injured roster spot. He's making sure his peers know that he's at the same level as them.

Fox completely turned it around after his mini-slump this season. he's a franchise player. we need more games on national TV
He's closed the gap a good bit on Mitchell and Tatum in his draft class.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I haven't posted here or even logged in for years but damn I AM HYPED.
Ya'll can criticize me and rightfully so for coming out of my cave only because of this turnaround season but hey go kings!!
whatever everyone gets a pass if they come back in the next 24 hours.
absolutely I am thinking about certain people that vocally quit this team, yes you

I remember us saying this at the beginning of the year too, but the Kings have absolutely adopted an "us against the world" mentality and they play like it (almost) every game.
Yes they have.

And I love the dawg mentality Malik Monk brings to this team.

As a long time UNC Tar heels fan, the Malik we saw tonight reminded me of Malik at Kentucky when he dropped 47 as a freshman against my Heels.

Same swagger. Same big shot capability.

When he took the rebound coast-to-coast and dunked it with 2-hands while Batum could do nothing but watch —I was like DAAAAAAMMMNNN!

That kid had a ginormous chip on his shoulder. And that’s the MM I really dig.

Also, seeing Swipa so calm and composed during these tight and stressful games is such a treat to watch.

Some people were saying Kawhi Leonard should've fouled Fox at the end of regulation but If you see that play Fox acually has him beaten so badly that De'Aaron could've very easily turned a cheap foul there into an and-1, n a hard foul is barely even gonna look like a basketball play there because of the speed fox was moving n the fact his body is totally shielding his left hand/the ball.. It's probably more risky to foul him there than not..
Powell had a brain fart on that play by leaving Monk to help on Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.