Kings trade Tyrese and Buddy for Sabonis and Holiday and Lamb

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Is being a low end playoff fodder level team just to not be the most futile team in the history of the NBA really being happy though?
The thing is that we absolutely do not know what could happen in the ensuing days/months. Maybe we sneak into the playoffs/play-ins this season. Just doing that and reducing the #KANGZ stench could help our assets appreciate in value. Then we could potential unload players for more assets than they're worth now.

The problem with being a bad team is that everyone'll try to buy low on your assets because, well, they're on a terrible team. Even if the team's a first-round exit sort of squad, you can sell the players on it as "winning players" and get more for them.

Or maybe the Kings surprise us and wind up better than we think like the Bulls have this season? Who knows. i'm just choosing to not be distraught over a losing team trying to do something- anything- to break the cycle. Could it be Bill Murray driving his car off a cliff in Groundhog Day? Maybe, but there's only one way to find out.

Barnes is key to both Jermi Grant and Collins. PJ washington we assume can be had for Holmes.
what would we look like with

Fox/Mitchell
Davis/holiday/lamb
Grant/holiday/harkless
Washington/metu/harkless
Sabonis/Jones/Len/Quenta

that is basically every starter gone from the start of the year except fox and we replaced Buddy with Holiday.
that could be the worst shooting team in history. They might have to replace the glass with plywood.

The problem with this approach is that of the three ways of adding talent (draft, free agency, and trade), trade is the one where it's most difficult to get a big increase in overall talent. You have to give something to get something, and if you don't give up draft picks or "free agents" (i.e. eat salary cap space for somebody), then you're usually making incremental improvements at best. Yes, those incremental improvements can result in "better fit" but when your team is as frankly pathetic as the Kings have been, an incremental improvement in talent and better fit doesn't get you very far. Can we trade Barnes and Holmes and Bagley for similar talent levels that is a better fit? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But while we "only" have to jump three teams and three games in the standings to get to the 10th spot and a desperate attempt at the play-in, we're 6.5 games from even the #9 spot, and we're 11 games down and 7 teams away from guaranteed playoff position. There is just simply no incremental talent/better fit combo out there sufficient to get us to the #9 spot this year, much less the #6 spot. So the game of getting rid of future assets that might result in big talent increases to incrementally get better this year seems absolute folly at this point.

I think the play-in has been very bad for us as a franchise. Under the old rules, we would 7 games behind and have to jump five teams to get to the #8 spot (and a basically guaranteed first-round bounce), and with 26 games left we'd never try. But dammit, watch us burn first round picks to shuffle deck chairs and keep churning between 10-14 in the lottery until we finally hit it and spend it right.
I don't disagree with this at all. However, it's a matter of how the GM executes the strategy as well.

An argument I've made that fits into the execution of a win now strategy is that Vlade absolutely should have traded the 2018 pick if the goal was to make the playoffs that season. If that #2 pick was not worth starting because you believed you were on the cusp of a playoff berth, then he wasn't worth drafting to begin with.

At the very least, Marvin should have been traded before the start of season 2. I don't like the strategy, but Monte pulled the trigger on trading his prized draft pick in year 2. Whatever strategy you choose, you can't half a## it.

Barnes is key to both Jermi Grant and Collins. PJ washington we assume can be had for Holmes.
what would we look like with

Fox/Mitchell
Davis/holiday/lamb
Grant/holiday/harkless
Washington/metu/harkless
Sabonis/Jones/Len/Quenta

that is basically every starter gone from the start of the year except fox and we replaced Buddy with Holiday.
Honestly have no idea why y’all want grant

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Also, Sabonis apparently really wanted to come to California because his wife's from here. (Being born in Portland probably helps too)

Sure, she's from SoCal but we're technically the same state and none of the LA teams is going to have enough cap space/assets to pick him up in free agency in two years.

Also, Sabonis apparently really wanted to come to California because his wife's from here. (Being born in Portland probably helps too)

Sure, she's from SoCal but we're technically the same state and none of the LA teams is going to have enough cap space/assets to pick him up in free agency in two years.
Sabonis also has spent his whole career in OKC/Indiana. You could see how it'd be appealing to sign a big contract in your prime to come to California.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
One underrated part of this trade is that I no longer have to pretend I enjoy listening to JJ Reddick's podcast simply because a player from the team I root for is on it once a month.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If you can't differentiate Halliburton from Kmart & Reke I'm not sure what to tell you.
no comparing games at all. Comparing fan hype. Haliburton is a slightly above average player. some of you act like he is gonna be a multi year all-star. he needs the ball to be effective at all when he is off ball he is invisible and he doesn't make anybody any better. he can jump passing lanes but on ball defense is on par with Buddy.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
no comparing games at all. Comparing fan hype. Haliburton is a slightly above average player. some of you act like he is gonna be a multi year all-star. he needs the ball to be effective at all when he is off ball he is invisible and he doesn't make anybody any better. he can jump passing lanes but on ball defense is on par with Buddy.
Man, it’s crazy how the entire NBA world is overrating this “slightly above average player”

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
looking at some of the metrics and Domatas has a 65% TS% as a high post big man, which is insane and pretty much Joker territory.

I also didn't realize that he's actually younger than Jokic.

The thing is that we absolutely do not know what could happen in the ensuing days/months. Maybe we sneak into the playoffs/play-ins this season. Just doing that and reducing the #KANGZ stench could help our assets appreciate in value. Then we could potential unload players for more assets than they're worth now.

The problem with being a bad team is that everyone'll try to buy low on your assets because, well, they're on a terrible team. Even if the team's a first-round exit sort of squad, you can sell the players on it as "winning players" and get more for them.

Or maybe the Kings surprise us and wind up better than we think like the Bulls have this season? Who knows. i'm just choosing to not be distraught over a losing team trying to do something- anything- to break the cycle. Could it be Bill Murray driving his car off a cliff in Groundhog Day? Maybe, but there's only one way to find out.
is it possible? Sure. Is it likely and worth any further emotional investment in the team? That judgement is up to each fan to decide.

this team used to have a high 3 point percentage as a strength when Monte took over. Currently we stand at 20th in the league and we just traded 2 of our best shooters to a team that was 25th. Our defensive rating was 29th and Indiana was 25th.

I get the trade from Indiana’s view. They add shooting. Hali and Turner could be a strong pick and roll combo. The team tanks this year. Etc….

I just don’t see how this trade doesn’t make our weaknesses worse.

This seems like a very big oversimplification of Hali’s game. The guy has a very bright future in this league. Naturally gifted passers and three point shooters are so desirable in today’s game for a reason. They are very easy to build around. Even if Haliburton never reached star potential something very special could’ve been built here with him as a major piece that would’ve lasted many years. The perceived ceiling of a Fox-Sabonis core just isn’t as high. Also Sabonis could just wind up leaving in two years.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Man, it’s crazy how the entire NBA world is overrating this “slightly above average player”
I mostly agree with you here but let's keep in mind that the entire NBA world spent the offseason hyping up Lebron/AD/Russ as the next big thing and was convinced the Nets big three was somehow not going to backfire.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I mostly agree with you here but let's keep in mind that the entire NBA world spent the offseason hyping up Lebron/AD/Russ as the next big thing and was convinced the Nets big three was somehow not going to backfire.
yeah i feel like people are listening to the talking head and regurgitating their opinions. i blame Kayte for slamming Hali & Holmes into their heads every game.

is it possible? Sure. Is it likely and worth any further emotional investment in the team? That judgement is up to each fan to decide.

this team used to have a high 3 point percentage as a strength when Monte took over. Currently we stand at 20th in the league and we just traded 2 of our best shooters to a team that was 25th. Our defensive rating was 29th and Indiana was 25th.

I get the trade from Indiana’s view. They add shooting. Hali and Turner could be a strong pick and roll combo. The team tanks this year. Etc….

I just don’t see how this trade doesn’t make our weaknesses worse.
I think this is just move 1 for what Monte wants his retool to be. Fox/Sabonis will be here game 1 next season, but literally everyone and everything else could be on the chopping block. I'd bet every single dollar I have the team won't enter game 1 next season with a new draft pick being the only change to what's currently on the team.

Is what it is. We've all been advocating for a proper rebuild for literally like 5+ years. Monte chose a different direction (likely at the behest of ownership) and put himself on the clock coinciding with the Sabonis contract. He'll get 2 years with his coach/Fox/Sabonis and the core he puts around them otherwise he's out.

I think this is just move 1 for what Monte wants his retool to be. Fox/Sabonis will be here game 1 next season, but literally everyone and everything else could be on the chopping block. I'd bet every single dollar I have the team won't enter game 1 next season with a new draft pick being the only change to what's currently on the team.

Is what it is. We've all been advocating for a proper rebuild for literally like 5+ years. Monte chose a different direction (likely at the behest of ownership) and put himself on the clock coinciding with the Sabonis contract. He'll get 2 years with his coach/Fox/Sabonis and the core he puts around them otherwise he's out.
Do you think there is any possibility that Fox could still get traded this off-season?