Kings trade Tyrese and Buddy for Sabonis and Holiday and Lamb

Becoming pretty obvious that Monte would've traded Fox first, but because of his regression and contract, Fox simply wasn't valued by the rest of the league.
here’s my thing. I agree that it’s pretty obvious that the kings would rather trade fox over hali but the pacers weren’t having it. So as a kings fan, I was upset we traded ty. But we need to stop taking it out on fox and sabonis. They’re kings now. I’m tired of hearing it should have been fox or ty will be better than sabonis. It’s like not drafting the player you want. Yes it sucks, but would you rather the kings player become great and you be wrong, or does your ego so fragile that you rather be right when it hurts the team? It’s happened and let’s hope fox gets better and meshes with sabonis who plays like an all star and Monte adds another good piece in a trade.
(Not all directed at you @kb02, just quoted you cuz I agreed with your post)

This trade grade all comes down to who else they bring in to compliment the main guys now.

Kings now have a legit “big 2” but both players have obvious flaws and don’t necessarily compliment each other, so the real test will be to see who they add, and if they can fill out the rest of the puzzle with the right complimentary players.

As a pessimistic Kings fan, my money would be on not figuring out the rest of the puzzle Pieces, and having an awkward and ill fitting roster, but I hope Monte proves me wrong…

Last edited:
here’s my thing. I agree that it’s pretty obvious that the kings would rather trade fox over hali but the pacers weren’t having it. So as a kings fan, I was upset we traded ty. But we need to stop taking it out on fox and sabonis. They’re kings now. I’m tired of hearing it should have been fox or ty will be better than sabonis. It’s like not drafting the player you want. Yes it sucks, but would you rather the kings player become great and you be wrong, or does your ego so fragile that you rather be right when it hurts the team? It’s happened and let’s hope fox gets better and meshes with sabonis who plays like an all star and Monte adds another good piece in a trade.
(Not all directed at you @kb02, just quoted you cuz I agreed with your post)
12 month runway. We'll see.

With Sabonis the Kings can finally run a modern, motion offense. They have not had the personnel to initiate the offense with a big near the top of the key. This will allow the Kings to find more players that fit into their system (or we will finally have a system).

It’s bittersweet that Hali would fit beautifully into this system and kinda funny that Sabonis would fit perfectly into what Walton was trying to run.

Also, Sabonis is going to get other players better looks from 3. Hali could make all the reads, but driving and dishing to 3 point shooters wasn’t his thing. It SHOULD be Fox’s thing.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
But he's second to Steph in three pointers made this season! (because it's literally all he'll do)
It's gotta be the contract, right? Because Ben McLemore is, basically, the same player, in the same role, and he doesn't catch anywhere close to this kind of heat, from anybody. At least, not since his first stint in Sacramento and, since then, he appears to have become an ironic fan favorite, in some circles (Or, maybe, a sincere fan favorite? With @SLAB, I can never tell).

I legitimately always had a soft spot in my heart for McBen. It wasn’t his fault he wasn’t very good, but was still better than all the other trash they brought in to replace him year after year.
His shooting form was beautiful... It just never went in. Well for us anyway.

I was shocked when I saw this news a few hours ago and I've been sitting on it, thinking about it and trying to understand why it was done.

I think I get it now:

This is about maximization of value. Unfortunately, De'Aaron has regressed this year, and it has hurt his trade value.

I bet you Monte's initial offer was De'Aaron and there was no bite.

And unfortunately, with the great play of Davion and Haliburton, that trade value probably wasn't going to get much higher.

Tyrese's trade value, on the other hand, is sky high right now. He has loads of potential and is on a rookie contract, definitely something attractive for the pacers.

I really don't think this is so much the franchise going all in on Fox as it is maximizing trade values.

What is likely to happen now is that Fox is going to blow up and rebuild his trade value.

Now the sitting out makes more sense to me.

Fox was probably sitting out to showcase Haliburton and to actually get his ankle right.

Perhaps Monte also saw something during this time that made him want to pull the trigger not sure.

So all in all what is probably going to happen now is that the Kings are going to shoot for the play-in and Fox's value will increase.

Then as far as what will happen in the off-season is fair game. Could be that Fox is traded for a top pick or another player that fits the team more, you never know.

I really loved Hali and I think we all did that's why it feels like such a gut punch to us. He was really a great personality and competitor.

I also think what this means is that Barnes and/or Holmes will be gone by the trade deadline, so long as they get a piece that fits the team more. Holmes and Barnes value are likely pretty high right now, especially Barnes perhaps also due to the sitting out of De'Aaron.
I agree with this. It was assessing total asset value, with an objective of having a better team currently (and the next two years). They assessed and determined (Fox+Sabonis) > (Hali+Fox trade return). I'm sure the decision was much more difficult to the front office than that, but I think that's how Monte's brain works. And, I'm sure they understand the sign might very well be reversed on that equation in 4 years, but this franchise is floundering and the immediate is more important to them than a long term "smart" team building plan (which of course we can all agree or disagree with, but it's the reality). It's actually not all that different from the Houston approach where Monte grew up. Its easy to say a rookie is under team control for X number of years. This is true; however, in the current NBA things change quickly. Superstars easily force themselves out of a situation. Young players don't pan out as anticipated. Future draft picks are more likely to not produce a star player than they are to. They believe you take your swing when you can get an opportunity to improve your team. Of course we can disagree that Sabonis is of the same caliber of when Houston acquired Harden, but I think it's the same general idea (and forgive me, I don't recall the exact details of the Harden trade with OKC, other than knowing they were fleeced.... but the point is the philosphy isn't all that different.)

I remember the year we brought in Afflalo and Grant would just rave about what an amazing vet presence he was that the Kings haven’t had in many years.

…. We’ve been very very bad for a long time
They tried so hard to find a replacement for Ben and failed over and over again. Afflalo. James Anderson? Stauskus??? Belinelli. Yeah....this place is a meat grinder. Especially for SG.

I agree with this. It was assessing total asset value, with an objective of having a better team currently (and the next two years). They assessed and determined (Fox+Sabonis) > (Hali+Fox trade return). I'm sure the decision was much more difficult to the front office than that, but I think that's how Monte's brain works. And, I'm sure they understand the sign might very well be reversed on that equation in 4 years, but this franchise is floundering and the immediate is more important to them than a long term "smart" team building plan (which of course we can all agree or disagree with, but it's the reality). It's actually not all that different from the Houston approach where Monte grew up. Its easy to say a rookie is under team control for X number of years. This is true; however, in the current NBA things change quickly. Superstars easily force themselves out of a situation. Young players don't pan out as anticipated. Future draft picks are more likely to not produce a star player than they are to. They believe you take your swing when you can get an opportunity to improve your team. Of course we can disagree that Sabonis is of the same caliber of when Houston acquired Harden, but I think it's the same general idea (and forgive me, I don't recall the exact details of the Harden trade with OKC, other than knowing they were fleeced.... but the point is the philosphy isn't all that different.)
Monte told us the team wasn't going to tank. With that being said, this is the only way to move forward. Shuffling pieces around until you find a group that fits.

All I ever ask of a GM is that he has a plan, even if I don't like it. We'll know more what that plan is after Thursday. Perhaps not even until draft day.

I agree with others who say that Monte is all in on winning now. He better make the play in this year and middle of the playoff pack by mid-season next year or he'll be on the hot seat. Monte knew what Vivek wanted when he signed up.

Monte told us the team wasn't going to tank. With that being said, this is the only way to move forward. Shuffling pieces around until you find a group that fits.

All I ever ask of a GM is that he has a plan, even if I don't like it. We'll know more what that plan is after Thursday. Perhaps not even until draft day.

I agree with others who say that Monte is all in on winning now. He better make the play in this year and middle of the playoff pack by mid-season next year or he'll be on the hot seat. Monte knew what Vivek wanted when he signed up.
Agreed... with that said, I don't think that necessarily means we mortgage the future between now and the deadline. I suspect the front office understands they are already behind the eight ball for this season (although no signs suggest they will say this publicly). I think the strategy is more realistically about the off season moves and next season.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Agreed... with that said, I don't think that necessarily means we mortgage the future between now and the deadline. I suspect the front office understands they are already behind the eight ball for this season (although no signs suggest they will say this publicly). I think the strategy is more realistically about the off season moves and next season.
I do think that this year's pick is off limits in trade talks. The ones from 2023 and beyond though can probably be had if they bring us back a third cog.

This trade grade all comes down to who else they bring in to compliment the main guys now.

Kings now have a legit “big 2” but both players have obvious flaws and don’t necessarily compliment each other, so the real test will be to see who they add, and if they can fill out the rest of the puzzle with the right complimentary players.

As a pessimistic Kings fan, my money would be on not figuring out the rest of the puzzle Pieces, and having an awkward and ill fitting roster, but I hope Monte proves me wrong…
Actually this trade comes down to:
1) can they make the fit work Fox and Sabonis
2) can they resign Sabonis or do they lose him in 2 years.

best case is this team makes it to the play-offs this year

worst case Barnes leaves as an unrestricted free agent next year followed by Sabonis the year after that….

This team is very close to being bad for another 5 years in the pursuit of avoiding the consecutive playoff record.

worst case Barnes leaves as an unrestricted free agent next year followed by Sabonis the year after that….

This team is very close to being bad for another 5 years in the pursuit of avoiding the consecutive playoff record.
In rooting for the crash and burn personally.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The problem with this approach is that of the three ways of adding talent (draft, free agency, and trade), trade is the one where it's most difficult to get a big increase in overall talent. You have to give something to get something, and if you don't give up draft picks or "free agents" (i.e. eat salary cap space for somebody), then you're usually making incremental improvements at best. Yes, those incremental improvements can result in "better fit" but when your team is as frankly pathetic as the Kings have been, an incremental improvement in talent and better fit doesn't get you very far. Can we trade Barnes and Holmes and Bagley for similar talent levels that is a better fit? Perhaps. Perhaps not. But while we "only" have to jump three teams and three games in the standings to get to the 10th spot and a desperate attempt at the play-in, we're 6.5 games from even the #9 spot, and we're 11 games down and 7 teams away from guaranteed playoff position. There is just simply no incremental talent/better fit combo out there sufficient to get us to the #9 spot this year, much less the #6 spot. So the game of getting rid of future assets that might result in big talent increases to incrementally get better this year seems absolute folly at this point.

I think the play-in has been very bad for us as a franchise. Under the old rules, we would 7 games behind and have to jump five teams to get to the #8 spot (and a basically guaranteed first-round bounce), and with 26 games left we'd never try. But dammit, watch us burn first round picks to shuffle deck chairs and keep churning between 10-14 in the lottery until we finally hit it and spend it right.

You know they can trade him at the deadline in 2 years if they don't think he will resign.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Barnes is key to both Jermi Grant and Collins. PJ washington we assume can be had for Holmes.
what would we look like with

Fox/Mitchell
Davis/holiday/lamb
Grant/holiday/harkless
Washington/metu/harkless
Sabonis/Jones/Len/Quenta

that is basically every starter gone from the start of the year except fox and we replaced Buddy with Holiday.