Kings trade Tyrese and Buddy for Sabonis and Holiday and Lamb

Based upon what?

As a basketball player, Tyrese clearly is far more skilled. Better passer, play maker, shooter and scorer from anywhere on the court. He’s a guard. A wing. A ball handler. And FAR more impactful than a 20/10 dude that needs others to get him involved. And will never be a go to player with the game on the line. Most bigs aren’t.

This isn’t Shaquille O’Neal or Tim Duncan were talking about here. He’s only considered good in a league devoid of traditional big men. And he doesn’t provide a Ben Wallace type impact defensively.

So he grabs some rebounds and makes some nice passes for a big man. Big freaking deal. The KINGS already had that in DeMarcus Cousins, who was a better version of Sabonis. And selected also as an All-Star (which means $&#@). They won nothing.

And the league has tilted even further toward guards and wings since that time.

It’s like nobody considers why Indiana was willing to give up Sabonis for Tyrese. Because they know he’s the better player now and for the future too. And their evaluation is far more qualified than the KINGS. Period, end of story.
I don't disagree at all, and I've been banging the modern NBA drum for a good while now, but 1v1 Tyrese is defense dependent ATM. As soon as a hard hedge, double, or tough switch happens he has a step back 3 and that's about it. Sabonis is more productive and developed. He's not a rim protector, not a PF, is a bit T-rex style in length for a C, but he's polished at what he does. Cousins was more talented than Sabonis for sure, but no question Sabonis is more efficient at what he does and that's what these dorks running NBA teams look for.

What's desperate about it? I keep seeing that word used, and it's sooooo weird. Again, 2x all-star. Advanced stats darling. 25 years old. No future firsts outgoing. No draft capital given up period. With the bonus of dumping Buddy's contract. All at the cost of a single long-term asset. It sucks to see Haliburton walking out the door, but this is not what a desperation play to save one's job looks like.
THIS!

The way I see this whole thing is that we lucked out and got a really good player with the #12 pick 2 years ago, which ultimately netted us Sabonis.
Who changes absolutely nothing.

They sacrificed their future because freaking Vivek Randive is so obsessed with ending the 15 year drought that he’s mortgaging everything to try to win enough games to qualify for the stupidly lame play-in 9th or 10th seed.

That’s why this was done. The dude is an embarrassment. And so are the KINGS.

All for a player that’ll be gone after 2 more seasons, if not sooner.

What great trade!

Kind of off topic but could this mean a Brogdan (assuming health) for Simmons type deal incoming since Brogdan when playing well is as good fit at PG as Philly will ever get.

I don't disagree at all, and I've been banging the modern NBA drum for a good while now, but 1v1 Tyrese is defense dependent ATM. As soon as a hard hedge, double, or tough switch happens he has a step back 3 and that's about it. Sabonis is more productive and developed. He's not a rim protector, not a PF, is a bit T-rex style in length for a C, but he's polished at what he does. Cousins was more talented than Sabonis for sure, but no question Sabonis is more efficient at what he does and that's what these dorks running NBA teams look for.
Sabonis is #dorkanalyst dream. He's just such a polished offensive player and dominant rebounder.

Fox-Sabonis is good enough to be a 4-5 seed in the west. It's on McNair to surround them with the right pieces to make it happen. We saw exactly that tonight with how the Wolves have shaped up around KAT/DAR/Edwards and how much a great complimentary core can boost and enhance your main pieces to be even better.

If tyreke were traded in his sophomore year, our GM would have been stoned to death on the forum. (I am old enough on this forum to remember the "would you trade evans for wade?" poll. lol.)
We tend to think about growth as something linear (or even exponential.). Do not look for this growth in sports, because you won't find it.
if TH becomes an all-star this would be considered a miserable move. but most "young promising stars" do not. Spoiling the party - It is impossible to know who won the trade and only time will tell as a factor of TH's evolution.
Sabonis is actually safer. we know exactly what we are getting. (edit: this doesn't mean i'm for this trade)
Also this!

Who changes absolutely nothing.

They sacrificed their future because freaking Vivek Randive is so obsessed with ending the 15 year drought that he’s mortgaging everything to try to win enough games to qualify for the stupidly lame play-in 9th or 10th seed.

That’s why this was done. The dude is an embarrassment. And so are the KINGS.

All for a player that’ll be gone after 2 more seasons, if not sooner.

What great trade!
What future did they sacrifice? What has been mortgaged as a result of this trade? No draft picks are outgoing. No washed, over-the-hill players are incoming. The hysterics in this thread are just... out of control. McNair dealt one efficient, well-liked young player and brought in another efficient, well-liked young player while dumping Buddy Hield's salary and acquiring a couple of rotation-quality utility wings.

It is certainly a risk that Sabonis will walk when his contract expires in two years, but the attempt to craft a larger narrative of ULTIMATE DOOM from this single trade is absolutely baffling to me.

Garbage trade, garbage org.

4-5 seed my @$$. What a joke. More like 4th or 5th pick in every upcoming draft. Then miss on the draft pick or trade the player for garbage like they did today.

The KINGS under Vivek are a pyramid scheme with no return on investment in sight.

Have fun supporting this nonsense and living in fantasyland.

What future did they sacrifice? What has been mortgaged as a result of this trade? No draft picks are outgoing. No washed, over-the-hill players are incoming. The hysterics in this thread are just... out of control. McNair dealt one efficient, well-liked young player and brought in another efficient, well-liked young player while dumping Buddy Hield's salary and acquiring a couple of rotation-quality utility wings.

It is certainly a risk that Sabonis will walk when his contract expires in two years, but the attempt to craft a larger narrative of ULTIMATE DOOM from this single trade is absolutely baffling to me.
This is the only risk from this trade. If Sabonis walks for nothing while we still suck, this trade will be pretty dang close to passing on Luka in terms of damage to the franchise. If Sabonis resigns and the Monte retool works? We win this trade (from a basketball sense) fairly easily.

Monte pushed in a good chunk of his stack, but we're certainly not at the "If we don't win in the next 2 years, we're done for the next 10" yet. Potentially could happen depending on how the rest of the deadline shakes out.

4-5 seed my @$$. What a joke. More like 4th or 5th pick in every upcoming draft. Then miss on the draft pick or trade the player for garbage like they did today.

The KINGS under Vivek are a pyramid scheme with no return on investment in sight.

I for one, will miss your incredibly insightful posts around that contribute to great debate and discussion. Best of luck!

I was a big fan of Halliburto and felt Fox should of been traded instead, but the amount of backlash for this trade is crazy. It’s like that mystery box joke from Family Guy. Why trade for an all star when you already have a guy that could be anything, he could even be an all star!
I think it's because he doesn't quite fix the main problems that the team has and is potentially an ill fit with Fox since they've shot similar from beyond the arc over the course of their careers.

No one thinks that Sabonis is a bad player, he's the best player we've had since Cousins. The issue is whether acquiring him will just put us back in the Cousins 30 wins a year, middle to back end of the lottery era. The Kings need a top 4 pick this year extremely badly. If they get that and hit on a player, they could be a playoff team down the road with a Fox/Sabonis/top 4 pick core.

If he comes in and pushes them back to 8th in the draft and all they get is a backup wing out of it, then they're in the same situation they always find themselves in. Not bad enough to get the good players, not good enough to make the playoffs, not enough talent to get better through trades and no way of signing good free agents. It's why it's a potential rearranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic situation.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Sabonis and company had better be awesome… because we’ve paid for their services with our dearest blood.
Sabonis will be fine. Fine enough to win a lot? Probably not. The other guys meanwhile are probably going to instantly Ramon Sessions off the face of the NBA the second they step on the Sacramento court.

I like the trade. Am I the only one? This should force Fox to be more assertive, given he's about to have the ball in his hands a hell of a lot more. Also Sabonis is a monster. We often struggled to secure a rebound before this trade, now I have to think that won't be happening much anymore. I am also glad to see we moved Buddy, watching him take boneheaded shots every game and whisper sweet nothings to opposing coaches with his mouth covered after games was something I could stand no more of.
Amen!!

Sabonis will be fine. Fine enough to win a lot? Probably not. The other guys meanwhile are probably going to instantly Ramon Sessions off the face of the NBA the second they step on the Sacramento court.
Not to mention Holiday is not long for this world after he turns 33 in a couple months.

A - freaking - agree. It's a terrible trade and Haliburton will end up being much better.

Sabonis is #dorkanalyst dream. He's just such a polished offensive player and dominant rebounder.

Fox-Sabonis is good enough to be a 4-5 seed in the west. It's on McNair to surround them with the right pieces to make it happen. We saw exactly that tonight with how the Wolves have shaped up around KAT/DAR/Edwards and how much a great complimentary core can boost and enhance your main pieces to be even better.
No way. Fox has already proven that he's not the leader, because on paper we had a pretty kickbutt team, and 1v1 we had a lineup that could go against any NBA team. But for some reason the chemistry wasn't there. Fox is not the guy to take us into the future. We traded the wrong guy.