Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

Beef Stew is already signed to a a pretty reasonable 4 year extension that begins next season. 15 per with a team option for the 4th. So he’s locked down for more than he’s worth given the makeup and direction of Detroits team and his role…but that can turn into very good value here.

I would trade 13 and some expirings for him as well. Be it HB..or the pick with one of a Duarte, Davion or Trey. Though I’m assuming teams that already have one pick in this first round aren’t desperate to add another.

Jalen Smith would be an interesting one as well.
I have not watched him enough to have an opinion but the consensus I’ve seen online from Pistons fans is they see him as a bench big. They aren’t happy with his defense and his “brick hands” on offense. Doesn’t mean they are right but interesting nonetheless.

I have not watched him enough to have an opinion but the consensus I’ve seen online from Pistons fans is they see him as a bench big. They aren’t happy with his defense and his “brick hands” on offense. Doesn’t mean they are right but interesting nonetheless.
situation and role matters a whole lot when you are on a lottery team vs a winning team. I wonder what Hornets fans thought of PJ throughout those years?

I can't see Brown starting over Ellis. And this situation is dependent on Monk re-signing when now there's potentially more of a minutes crunch for him.

Instead of Bruce Brown on a costly one year deal, why not just keep #13 and draft Devin Carter?
Brown should be a target IMO. I think the easy answer is you run Ellis, Brown, and Keegan considering it's unlikely Portis would be gettable to begin with. Brown played mostly PF with the Nets. I'm not sure that's totally feasible with teams getting bigger but he's kind of like a poor mans PJ Tucker in some ways. That would definitely put pressure on Keegan to jump into being a legit 2nd option scorer though. No more 1.6 FTA kind of stuff.

Stewart is on the Pistons so anything you can gather from him as a player has to be somewhat skewed, lol. That organization has drafted well and tanked almost everything after that point. It would be intriguing as to what coach Brown could do for Stewart. Stewart seems like the type of player Brown would love and know exactly how to use. Stewart straddles that line of being both a physical type but yet does have legit skill.

Thoughts on Isaiah Hartenstein? I know he’s been brought up in the past. Looking pretty good in a starter role and against the Pacers.
Seems he’s in a similar position as Monk as he enters this summer’s FA. New York can only offer him about what we can offer Monk, so it may be financially difficult. Also I would think he could play along side Sabonis.

Thoughts on Isaiah Hartenstein? I know he’s been brought up in the past. Looking pretty good in a starter role and against the Pacers.
Seems he’s in a similar position as Monk as he enters this summer’s FA. New York can only offer him about what we can offer Monk, so it may be financially difficult. Also I would think he could play along side Sabonis.
Dude rules, but I think he's due for a massive starter contract (and he deserves it). I think him and Domas could work too, but think we're priced out with the MLE

From punching Eubanks. Apparently the police are still “investigating” but he was issued a citation and it was months ago. I doubt that’s going anywhere. He already served a suspension from the NBA for it.
Interesting. Stew doesn't pop statistically like a Deni Avdjia or Daniel Gafford, so it's not as clear if you could see a huge spike if you got him on a good team. But I think the skill-set is real interesting to be a 4 defender that's sort of like a free safety in the Draymond mold and is now a decent spacer on the other end.

Still think I'd rather stick with 13 and develop somebody. It's close though

Now that the draft lottery is set, I still think this is probably the best realistic trade for us this offseason if we’re feeling good about resigning Monk…

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

For

Jerami Grant

Grant upgrades our PF spot by giving us more length, athleticism, defense, rim protection, and scoring than Barnes. And they’re about the same from a shooting/floor spacing, rebounding, and passing perspective. On top of that, Grant is not a very high usage player which makes me think he can buy in and still be effective.

In addition, to upgrading our PF and addressing many of our weaknesses (length, athleticism, go-to scoring, defense from the PF spot, rim protection), we add a couple of early 2nd round picks to add to #45 which gives us a few swings at finding a diamond in the rough.

If we resign Monk, Edwards, and Len, we’d go into next season with a roster of…

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Ellis / Monk / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes / Edwards
PF - Grant / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len
Picks - #34 / #40 / #45

That’s a very well balanced team with minimal weaknesses. Then assuming we convey our 2025 1st to ATL, we’d have all of our future 1sts freed up again for trade in the 2025 off-season (plus any young assets we currently have on the roster).

Now that the draft lottery is set, I still think this is probably the best realistic trade for us this offseason if we’re feeling good about resigning Monk…

Kevin Huerter
Sasha Vezenkov
Chris Duarte

For

Jerami Grant

Grant upgrades our PF spot by giving us more length, athleticism, defense, rim protection, and scoring than Barnes. And they’re about the same from a shooting/floor spacing, rebounding, and passing perspective. On top of that, Grant is not a very high usage player which makes me think he can buy in and still be effective.

In addition, to upgrading our PF and addressing many of our weaknesses (length, athleticism, go-to scoring, defense from the PF spot, rim protection), we add a couple of early 2nd round picks to add to #45 which gives us a few swings at finding a diamond in the rough.

If we resign Monk, Edwards, and Len, we’d go into next season with a roster of…

PG - Fox / Mitchell
PF - Grant / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len
Picks - #34 / #40 / #45

That’s a very well balanced team with minimal weaknesses. Then assuming we convey our 2025 1st to ATL, we’d have all of our future 1sts freed up again for trade in the 2025 off-season (plus any young assets we currently have on the roster).
Monte really should be making a play for Grant and now is the time, but if Barnes can be moved instead of Sasha that would be better. Sasha is someone that still has some upside because his per 48's are decent and his salary is much better coming off the bench than Barnes'. If Barnes moves to the bench and his play suffers you just created your new cap anchor. Can't do it. Now is the time to talk to the Blazers. They dropped to 7th and perhaps they could package 13 and 14 to move up and determine their own future in the process.

I can't see Brown starting over Ellis. And this situation is dependent on Monk re-signing when now there's potentially more of a minutes crunch for him.

Instead of Bruce Brown on a costly one year deal, why not just keep #13 and draft Devin Carter?
I haven't followed college basketball this season, so I am unable to comment on Devin Carter.

With guys like Wemby, Chet and Alex Sarr going to be around in the future, I'm wondering if the Kings FO should figure out a way to draft a Center with the height and mobility needed to handle them (perhaps, not with the #13 pick).

Anyway, I also like this option that was posted by twslam07.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
PF - Grant / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len
Picks - #34 / #40 / #45

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't followed college basketball this season, so I am unable to comment on Devin Carter.

With guys like Wemby, Chet and Alex Sarr going to be around in the future, I'm wondering if the Kings FO should figure out a way to draft a Center with the height and mobility needed to handle them (perhaps, not with the #13 pick).

Anyway, I also like this option that was posted by twslam07.
Will we continue to see guys like Chet & Wemby enter the league? Maybe. Sarr to me is slightly less polished/effective Mobley. Either way, they've all gone in the top 3 of the draft so far, so it's not as easy as saying, "let's go get our own version of that archetype".

I'm still not a big Jerami Grant fan, especially because I don't see him as a great fit on the Kings. And definitely not given his current contract.

I'm still on board with trying to poach Jonathan Isaac from the Magic. He didn't have a great postseason, still has the injury concerns, and the Magic clearly need to make some moves (adding shooting and playmaking to start) to improve next season. He's a gamble, but if the Magic strike out on Klay Thompson, would they be interested in a Huerter for Isaac deal?

Will we continue to see guys like Chet & Wemby enter the league? Maybe. Sarr to me is slightly less polished/effective Mobley. Either way, they've all gone in the top 3 of the draft so far, so it's not as easy as saying, "let's go get our own version of that archetype".

I'm still not a big Jerami Grant fan, especially because I don't see him as a great fit on the Kings. And definitely not given his current contract.

I'm still on board with trying to poach Jonathan Isaac from the Magic. He didn't have a great postseason, still has the injury concerns, and the Magic clearly need to make some moves (adding shooting and playmaking to start) to improve next season. He's a gamble, but if the Magic strike out on Klay Thompson, would they be interested in a Huerter for Isaac deal?
Regarding Isaac, I don't think that deal is enough (from what I've learned talking to ORL fans). He's a really difficult player to trade for considering how impactful he is when he plays but also being a big injury risk.

As for Grant, his contract will only be about 19.4%-21.1% of the cap for the next 4 seasons. A 0-6 year max is 25% of the cap, 7-9 year max is 30%, and a 10+ year max is 35%. He's not paid like a star but he is paid like a really good starting player (which aligns with my view). But perhaps you view his contract negatively because of his age? He just turned 30, but has only played 19,603 career minutes compared to Barnes (will be 32 in a month) who has played 31,036 career minutes and Sabonis (just turned 28) who has played 17,981 career minutes. I think there is more tread on his tires than people think.

But putting the contract aside for a second, what makes you question his fit with our current core?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding Isaac, I don't think that deal is enough (from what I've learned talking to ORL fans). He's a really difficult player to trade for considering how impactful he is when he plays but also being a big injury risk.

As for Grant, his contract will only be about 19.4%-21.1% of the cap for the next 4 seasons. A 0-6 year max is 25% of the cap, 7-9 year max is 30%, and a 10+ year max is 35%. He's not paid like a star but he is paid like a really good starting player (which aligns with my view). But perhaps you view his contract negatively because of his age? He just turned 30, but has only played 19,603 career minutes compared to Barnes (will be 32 in a month) who has played 31,036 career minutes and Sabonis (just turned 28) who has played 17,981 career minutes. I think there is more tread on his tires than people think.

But putting the contract aside for a second, what makes you question his fit with our current core?
With Grant, a big part of it for me is the anemic rebounding. He's not an upgrade from Barnes in that department and I think that is really concerning. His defensive metrics have been declining for years and it's a big gamble (IMO) to count on him being better on that end with less offensive responsibility. SOMETIMES, that's a valid point for college players shouldering a huge load on offense, but I generally don't buy it for NBA veterans.

And on the offensive end, his usage has been climbing the last few seasons but his free throw rate has generally declined. In short, I think he's a higher paid, very slightly better version of Harrison Barnes and that just doesn't move the needle. He doesn't help this team take a leap in any real way.

One definite positive for Grant is that he's a significantly better shooter from the right side of the floor and the Kings run a LOT of their action with Sabonis & Fox from the left side.

As for Isaac, Orlando fans may not be the best judge of his value. I thought he might have too high a price tag too, but then I realized he's an UFA after next season and the Magic will need to decide how highly they want to pay a 6th man with his injury history given that they'll have to pay Franz and then Paulo in the next two offseasons. I think if they could add some outside shooting, and punt on whether to re-sign Isaac given his injury history, that might appeal to them. Of course, if Isaac wants to stay with the Magic and would give them a hometown discount because they supported him through his struggle to get back on the court, then it may be a moot point.

Last edited:
With Grant, a big part of it for me is the anemic rebounding. He's not an upgrade from Barnes in that department and I think that is really concerning. His defensive metrics have been declining for years and it's a big gamble (IMO) to count on him being better on that end with less offensive responsibility. SOMETIMES, that's a valid point for college players shouldering a huge load on offense, but I generally don't buy it for NBA veterans.

And on the offensive end, his usage has been climbing the last few seasons but his free throw rate has generally declined. In short, I think he's a higher paid, very slightly better version of Harrison Barnes and that just doesn't move the needle. He doesn't help this team take a leap in any real way.

One definite positive for Grant is that he's a significantly better shooter from the right side of the floor and the Kings run a LOT of their action with Sabonis & Fox from the left side.

As for Isaac, Orlando fans may not be the best judge of his value. I thought he might have too high a price tag too, but then I realized he's an UFA after next season and the Magic will need to decide how highly they want to pay a 6th man with his injury history given that they'll have to pay Franz and then Paulo in the next two offseasons. I think if they could add some outside shooting, and punt on whether to re-sign Isaac given his injury history, that might appeal to them. Of course, if Isaac wants to stay with the Magic and would give them a hometown discount because they supported him through his struggle to get back on the court, then it may be a moot point.
I think the reason I can overlook the rebounding is that we were just fine as a team rebounding with someone like Barnes starting at PF. Swapping Barnes for Grant doesn't really hurt us in that category, and that's a category that many of us seem to think is a lower priority compared to adding length, athleticism, scoring/creation, and defense (all things Grant helps us with).

Yeah I wouldn't say it's a "big gamble" to hope that Grant's defensive impact improves with a smaller role, less responsibility on the offensive end. And I've posted this before in other threads, but it's also his defensive potential/ceiling that is attractive even if that effort isn't always there quarter after quarter, game after game. Would you rather have someone who plays average defense throughout the year but plays great defense in crunch time, 4th quarters, the playoffs, etc. or would you rather have someone who plays above-average defense all the time? Everything else equal, I'm somewhat inclined to opt for the player who can elevate his defense to another level when the time demands it (similarly to how Fox dials it up and picks his spots) as I think it ultimately raises the ceiling of our team when trying to make a deep playoff run. We know Grant is capable of playing great defense. So yes, the gamble is hoping he puts in that effort to play at a level he is capable of playing at (or at least puts in the effort in more crucial moments like Fox).

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that we were playing great defense with Barnes as our starting PF towards the end of the year. I have a hard time seeing how replacing Barnes with someone like Grant doesn't improve that defensive unit (or at the very least, keep it consistent).

As for his free throw rate, it has been between .367-.375 for the past 4 seasons. I don't really see it decreasing as you suggest but maybe we're looking at difference numbers?

In general, Grant gives us a lot of improvements over Barnes (age, length, athleticism, defense, rim protection, scoring) and is on par with Barnes on other areas (rebounding, shooting, passing, ballhandling). I don't really see an attribute that I'd give a clear nod to Barnes on which is a good thing if your goal is to ultimately upgrade from Barnes.

Coming back to Isaac...on a general NBA forum, I proposed a trade of...

Jonathan Isaac

for

Kevin Huerter
2025 POR 2nd

...so far only 10% of the vote thinks it's a fair trade and 0% of the vote thinks that the Magic win the trade by a little, by a lot, etc. The rest of the votes (90%) think the Kings win the trade. Now if I were to remove #13, the 2025 POR 2nd, and #18 from the equation, and propose a simple Huerter for Isaac deal as you mentioned, you can imagine how much more lopsided that vote may be. Obviously, this is NBA fans voting (not just ORL fans) so take it with a grain of salt but you can get a sense for how much value he still holds despite these fans understanding that he is an expiring next year.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

if the Cavs do end up having to go full fire sale in the offseason because Donovan wants out, I’d probably kick the tires on LeVert and Okoro trades even if I’m not particularly enamored with either guy (though Levert would give us another guy capable of getting his own bucket and has experience playin off of Domas). (Assuming they won’t give us Mobley for Davion and Duarte and a pick or something)

if the Cavs do end up having to go full fire sale in the offseason because Donovan wants out, I’d probably kick the tires on LeVert and Okoro trades even if I’m not particularly enamored with either guy (though Levert would give us another guy capable of getting his own bucket and has experience playin off of Domas). (Assuming they won’t give us Mobley for Davion and Duarte and a pick or something)
tired: Caris LeVert

Wired: Dean Wade

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
tired: Caris LeVert

Wired: Dean Wade
I think my issue with Dean Wade is that the sample size of him actually being the super efficient two-way player he is this year is really small and his shooting splits don’t really come off a number big enough to really tell me that he’s taken that leap to fully elite catch and shoot guy. He’d still be solid but if his shooting cools back down, he becomes power forward Chris Duarte. I also feel like if we wanted another floor spacing forward to play between Domas and Keegan for stretches, we could just drop the BAE on McBuckets or simply try to play Sasha more.

I think my issue with Dean Wade is that the sample size of him actually being the super efficient two-way player he is this year is really small and his shooting splits don’t really come off a number big enough to really tell me that he’s taken that leap to fully elite catch and shoot guy. He’d still be solid but if his shooting cools back down, he becomes power forward Chris Duarte. I also feel like if we wanted another floor spacing forward to play between Domas and Keegan for stretches, we could just drop the BAE on McBuckets or simply try to play Sasha more.
I mean, I'm more referencing him for his defense. Dude pops in literally every defensive stat known to man. Legit big wing size and basically every metric known to man says he's one of the best defenders in basketball. He'd be an awesome litmus test for these stats to see if he'd actually hold up in a 30 MPG role. Because man... everything about this dude says he's ready for a massive breakout if he didn't have a Mobley/Allen in front of him. And this is multi-year type production from him, but he's just blocked on the Cavs.

He’s playing the best basketball of his career. Don’t see him leaving a contending team to join up with a team that didn’t make the playoffs in a significantly harder conference where he’s not getting a) more money and b) a bigger role. I haven’t looked at the numbers, but the most we can offer is the MLE. Is that even more than what the Knicks can do? Why would they be hesitant to spend that money on him?

The Sabonis experiment at the 4 didn’t work when the Pacers had a seemingly perfect fit with Myles Turner. With Hartenstein, the offense would be awful with 0 floor spacing.