Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

Do you think a All-start ''superstar'' will come to play the 6th man in our roster ??
I highly doubt in such scenrio Monk will be the one with more minute over Lavine ....
Have not see much of Lavine but the Kings need a hard worker at the moment , one who can creat but also put efforts in defence
I don't see many of you describing Lavine as a defender ...
Here's the thing, with the way Brown plays guard lineups I think Monk and LaVine would be fine regardless of who starts. You are essentially just simply upgrading Huerter in a deal for LaVine and replacing production from both Barnes and Huerter into a better creator. I read some blurbs that the Bulls are actually looking for picks for LaVine though. If so, I doubt Monte does that unless things get desperate. The thing about LaVine should be a process of condensing players not impacting much right now (Heurter, Barnes, and Davion) into all star level talent if at it's peak. That's the upgrade. Anything more complicated than that gets dicey.

The idea behind adding another star level producer is number 1, Fox doesn't have to carry ALL THE TIME anymore. It takes pressure off of him. Fox and LaVine can account for 50 points out of your offense nightly. Domas at 18, Keegan at 15, and Monk at 15 means those spots around them can be utility guys. At the spot next to Keegan you can go pick up someone like Torrey Craig, Nic Batum, Jae Crowder, etc. this summer and the fact that they don't produce shouldn't hurt much.

The first is lottery protected in ‘24, top 12 in ‘25 and top 10 in ‘26. Turns to seconds after that
If I understand it right, this means that our first round picks of '24, '25 and '26 are tied up and can't be traded midseason. The '27 pick is the earliest we could possibly trade.

Last edited:
Because Lavine is way more of a creator than Grant. I like Grant too though. I think you can overlap all 3 guys in Fox, Monk and Lavine and even have Lavine at SF against certain lineups. I don’t know what Monte is going to do but all the main guys being mentioned as available could help us in one way or the other.

Otherwise, Monte needs to go find a guy who can guard Ingram. He’s killed us. We are having to double him and they have way too many 3 point shooters.

I don’t lose sight that Sac has been great against most of the opposition but they have struggled against certain teams.
True, but if Grant could be had for the same package as LaVine you obviously go Grant if you're Monte.

Virtually every NBA player wants to start. And I'd bet my house that LaVine would be an unhappy camper if he were to be traded to the Kings to come off the bench.
I know I’m saying if they were smart being a 6th man is better why start you’re not getting the offense ran through you with the teams 2 best players starting

Maybe, assuming they can play together. But it also means a very small lineup. Without shoes Fox, Monk, and Lavine measured 6'2", just under 6'2" and 6'4.5" respectively. Fox has improved as a defender but Monk and Lavine are not strong on that end of the floor.

It feels like you're just trading Huerter's shooting and playmaking for LaVine's ability to create for himself. I don't think that improves the team.
LaVine can run point though and what the Kings need is anything that safeguards them from the inability to score outside of their offense. If Monte can find that in a 6'8" player that can also D up great, but with the pieces he's looking to move and with what's out there, good luck.

Personally I would really like Monte to see what it would take to get Bojan out of Detroit. Older, yes, but talk about a perfect fit.

Here's the thing, with the way Brown plays guard lineups I think Monk and LaVine would be fine regardless of who starts. You are essentially just simply upgrading Huerter in a deal for LaVine and replacing production from both Barnes and Huerter into a better creator. I read some blurbs that the Bulls are actually looking for picks for LaVine though. If so, I doubt Monte does that unless things get desperate. The thing about LaVine should be a process of condensing players not impacting much right now (Heurter, Barnes, and Davion) into all star level talent if at it's peak. That's the upgrade. Anything more complicated than that gets dicey.

The idea behind adding another star level producer is number 1, Fox doesn't have to carry ALL THE TIME anymore. It takes pressure off of him. Fox and LaVine can account for 50 points out of your offense nightly. Domas at 18, Keegan at 15, and Monk at 15 means those spots around them can be utility guys. At the spot next to Keegan you can go pick up someone like Torrey Craig, Nic Batum, Jae Crowder, etc. this summer and the fact that they don't produce shouldn't hurt much.
That sounds nice ... If it happens like this at all ...
There is a lot of quesitons around LeVine atm starting with his injury as well ?
how bad is that he missed already over a month of play ? or they are just frozing him because of the future trade ?

Guys ,
can you help me a bit with those Pics ...
Seems in same trades they are more important then the players ...
You have the first 4 lotarry teams who are going to pick the top 4 prospect , then you have reserved picks per team per rounds right ?
How much value bring a secured first round pick for example ? It is obvious that first lets say 10 picks are those who are caring the best players ... Cases like Jokic , somehwere deep in the first , middle of second round are countable on one hand ....

If I understand it right, this means that our first round picks of '24, '25 and '26 are tied up and can't be traded midseason. The '27 pick is the earliest we could possibly trade.
technically we can’t trade the ‘27 either due to the Stepien Rule since it’s possible the first round pick we own Atlanta conveys in ‘26. My guess is Monte has an agreement in place with the Hawks to give them minor compensation for taking the protections off and accepting the ‘24 outright. (Only if we find a trade at the deadline that requires picks)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Guys ,
can you help me a bit with those Pics ...
Seems in same trades they are more important then the players ...
You have the first 4 lotarry teams who are going to pick the top 4 prospect , then you have reserved picks per team per rounds right ?
How much value bring a secured first round pick for example ? It is obvious that first lets say 10 picks are those who are caring the best players ... Cases like Jokic , somehwere deep in the first , middle of second round are countable on one hand ....
The NBA lottery process determines the top four picks, and then the rest of the teams (who didn't "win" the lottery) pick in reverse order of final record. All 14 teams in the NBA lottery have the chance at moving up into the top four picks (but the four worst teams have the best odds, and it decreases from there), but none of the 16 teams who made the playoffs have any chance at moving up.

Jokic is quite unusual - an MVP selected in the middle of the second round - but NBA teams value late first-round picks more than you might think at first. Because first-round picks have a predetermined salary for four years (the final two both options for the drafting team) which decreases to only a bit over $1M per year towards the end of the first round, a late first-round pick is a good place to find a cost-controlled young rotation player for teams that are year-in, year-out playoff contenders. Typically the high-ceiling underclassmen - the ones who are likely to become stars - are snapped up before the 20th pick or so, and then the draft pivots towards the selection of 4- or 5-year college players who aren't usually considered to have a star ceiling but who have demonstrated that they have a good chance of becoming NBA rotation players.

technically we can’t trade the ‘27 either due to the Stepien Rule since it’s possible the first round pick we own Atlanta conveys in ‘26. My guess is Monte has an agreement in place with the Hawks to give them minor compensation for taking the protections off and accepting the ‘24 outright. (Only if we find a trade at the deadline that requires picks)
So a Grant/Lyles/ two 1st round picks for Grant can work

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wonder if Tyrese potentially missing time on account of him tearing his balls (probably) doing the splits in a game will affect the Pacers interest in Siakam.

The counter idea to that, is all the things you said about LaVine, Monk can do...and has done, if given the ball with his number called. We just watched it against Orlando, when Fox wasn't feeling it. They need to commit to a more even distribution of shots, even when Fox is feeling good, which will minimize some of the wear and tear.

I get that Fox always wants the ball, but his body is not going to hold up. We're only 35 games in...and he's already walking around like it's been a full season

That sounds nice ... If it happens like this at all ...
There is a lot of quesitons around LeVine atm starting with his injury as well ?
how bad is that he missed already over a month of play ? or they are just frozing him because of the future trade ?
That's the other issue but he's back now so we'll see. These all add up to why he might be a giveaway. If Monte can hold onto his picks then he still gives himself chances to make other moves as well. If he doesn't have to add firsts in a deal for a star maybe he can swing those for the Thybulle types.

The counter idea to that, is all the things you said about LaVine, Monk can do...and has done, if given the ball with his number called. We just watched it against Orlando, when Fox wasn't feeling it. They need to commit to a more even distribution of shots, even when Fox is feeling good, which will minimize some of the wear and tear.

I get that Fox always wants the ball, but his body is not going to hold up. We're only 35 games in...and he's already walking around like it's been a full season
They can all do pretty much everything, the more's the merrier when it comes to versatility. You can't have enough of it just ask the Warriors at their peak. I also think it might safeguard the Kings from Monk leaving at the very least which is still very possible. For the regular season even distribution might work, and I remember having conversations last year and getting blasted when I brought up the Kings shot chart being TOO evenly distributed during the regular season and it not matching up with most legit teams historically. You simply do not see shot distribution like that on contenders very often if ever and there were no guarantees that it would translate to the playoffs, well, it didn't. During the regular season Fox took around 18 shots per game, and the next 3 guys in Domas, Monk, and Huerter were around 10-12 with a bunch of 7-9 FGA per game under them. In the playoffs that shot distribution was forced to change and it dropped the Kings from the best offensive rated team ever to around 12th out of 16 because they couldn't consistently create or hit shots outside of the DHO. As the system failed Fox jumped to 23, Domas to near 15, and Monk to around 13. Why? Because they were the only players that could basically comfortably create offense for themselves or others. Now the system could translate come a second go around, but I think those results are why Monte is looking in the direction he is and if so, the numbers kind of back it up. Remember, the next phase is all about playoff basketball, which regardless of wear and tear is a totally different animal still although shooting teams do seem to have a bigger advantage than ever before.

Because Lavine is way more of a creator than Grant. I like Grant too though. I think you can overlap all 3 guys in Fox, Monk and Lavine and even have Lavine at SF against certain lineups. I don’t know what Monte is going to do but all the main guys being mentioned as available could help us in one way or the other.

Otherwise, Monte needs to go find a guy who can guard Ingram. He’s killed us. We are having to double him and they have way too many 3 point shooters.

I don’t lose sight that Sac has been great against most of the opposition but they have struggled against certain teams.
It sounds like you made the case for going after Grant vs. someone like Lavine in regard to helping us against teams like the Pelicans AND bringing in another shot creator.

We have a shot creator at PG and SG already. I think it would be much more wise to focus on bringing in a shot creator at the forward spot (to avoid redundancy & overlap).

Fox, LaVine, and Monk would be a ton of cap spent on two positions and if you’re playing all 3 at the same time, you’re even more undersized on the court than many of the lineups we play today (which is an issue that seems to be highlighted when playing against the Pelicans). Keon Ellis actually has more length than Lavine to put it in perspective. LaVine only has a 6’8.25” wingspan (decent for a SG) and a 8’4” standing reach (below average for a SG). Monk is not particularly big/long either at the SG spot.

Could a Fox-Monk-LaVine lineup work against certain matchups? Sure, but if you’re going to have 65-75% of your cap ($95-105 mil) tied up in those 3 players, you better make sure they can actually be on the court together across matchups. That doesn’t seem to be the case with Fox, Monk, and LaVine. That’s not an investment worth taking on IMO.

Last edited:
Another morning and no closer to a trade. Word is Wiggins very likely available, I have mixed feelings about that one, perhaps Brown can get the best out of him. Too much money for his contribution.
Caruso would be a solid get, out of all the frequently mentioned players he’s who I can get most behind. No saying Chicago will consider moving him but he fits well with our team and doesn’t create a conflict with Monk like LaVine. Kuzma, I like him more than most around these parts but if Washington is selling, Gafford is a player I like, but again no mention he’s available. Grant and Thybulle, would also look good but are they really available.

Last edited:
Another morning and no closer to a trade. Word is Wiggins very likely available, I have mixed feelings about that one, perhaps Brown can get the best out of him. Too much money for his contribution.
Caruso would be a solid get, out of all the frequently mentioned players he’s who I can get most behind. No saying Chicago will consider moving him but he fits well with our team and doesn’t create a conflict with Monk like LaVine. Kuzma, I like him more than most around these parts but if Washington is selling, Gafford is a player I like, but again no mention he’s available. Grant and Thybulle, would also look good but are they really available.
I wouldn't be shocked if we try and trade for Wiggins knowing the Brown-Wiggins connection. With his athleticism, you could probably play him at SG as well which would go a long way to addressing the length and athleticism concerns with our current roster. He also gives you another go-to scoring option.

The major concern is his motivation. Is he just mailing it in now that he has his new contract or is it GSW related? We know Moody and Kuminga seem frustrated. Perhaps Wiggins is not too happy in GSW anymore? Hard to know for sure.

He's a taller version of Davion
That’s a poor comparison. Marcus Smart is one of those guys you absolutely hate playing against. He’s going to bump you, hit you, play rough, talk **** and get in your face, dive for loose balls, and is an absolute menace on defense. First team all defense type of guy on that end. I would love to have him on the Kings. His offense has improved over the years and so has his decision making, but still occasionally can pull a bonehead play out of nowhere. However, his pros far outweigh his cons. He’s heated and scrapped with many a player over the years (Boogie included), but the guy can instantly improve any defense. Just have to have strong coaching and be tolerant of some minor antics here and there.

I wouldn't be shocked if we try and trade for Wiggins knowing the Brown-Wiggins connection. With his athleticism, you could probably play him at SG as well which would go a long way to addressing the length and athleticism concerns with our current roster. He also gives you another go-to scoring option.

The major concern is his motivation. Is he just mailing it in now that he has his new contract or is it GSW related? We know Moody and Kuminga seem frustrated. Perhaps Wiggins is not too happy in GSW anymore? Hard to know for sure.
We still don’t know why Wiggins missed so much time last season. He’d be a perfect fit if motivated - but non-motivated players scare me. And I really like Lavine, but I hate his contract. I’m more and more leaning Grant and Thybulle - and telling Keagan to hit those boards.

That’s a poor comparison. Marcus Smart is one of those guys you absolutely hate playing against. He’s going to bump you, hit you, play rough, talk **** and get in your face, dive for loose balls, and is an absolute menace on defense. First team all defense type of guy on that end. I would love to have him on the Kings. His offense has improved over the years and so has his decision making, but still occasionally can pull a bonehead play out of nowhere. However, his pros far outweigh his cons. He’s heated and scrapped with many a player over the years (Boogie included), but the guy can instantly improve any defense. Just have to have strong coaching and be tolerant of some minor antics here and there.
Minus the talk, you pretty much described Davion. Smart has had a lot more time to improve, Mitchell is just in season 3.

But again, Smart has more length, which obviously is an advantage

You closed the door for him with tolerant coaching :)
If your name isn’t Murray(version from this season) Brown doesn’t show tolerance :)

We still don’t know why Wiggins missed so much time last season. He’d be a perfect fit if motivated - but non-motivated players scare me. And I really like Lavine, but I hate his contract. I’m more and more leaning Grant and Thybulle - and telling Keagan to hit those boards.
I’d also prefer Grant in this scenario. He’s signed for a number of years so no immediate worry about him bolting off somewhere else. I also think Keegan is a capable rebounder, he just has to be motivated to be one. I don’t like Wiggins as he seems to have regressed this year and Lavine is too risky (health wise and $$ wise) unless you can get him for dirt cheap. Siakam I wouldn’t touch for reasons I stated before. Since Memphis is now back to being a terrible team, I’d ask about Smart. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea but the guy would give us an edge we currently don’t have.

You closed the door for him with tolerant coaching :)
If your name isn’t Murray(version from this season) Brown doesn’t show tolerance :)
I have to respectfully disagree here. Brown gives a lot of players the benefit of the doubt and by all accounts, has a healthy relationship with most of the team and has given most players extended looks. Holding players accountable for their actions does not make you an intolerant coach, it just makes you a coach. That’s what they are supposed to do. Don’t know what happened with Sasha, but I think Brown is relatively tolerant for a coach. Stern, maybe, but he does have some flexibility to him. Thibs is a coach who has no tolerance, for example. It’s his way or the highway.

Minus the talk, you pretty much described Davion. Smart has had a lot more time to improve, Mitchell is just in season 3.

But again, Smart has more length, which obviously is an advantage
Davion isn’t the menace that Smart is though. He’s not going to make you uncomfortable or play the mind games that Smart does. Smart is definitely several tiers above Davion on the defensive side, one of those reasons being size, yes, but he has intangibles that Davion just doesn’t.

I have to respectfully disagree here. Brown gives a lot of players the benefit of the doubt and by all accounts, has a healthy relationship with most of the team and has given most players extended looks. Holding players accountable for their actions does not make you an intolerant coach, it just makes you a coach. That’s what they are supposed to do. Don’t know what happened with Sasha, but I think Brown is relatively tolerant for a coach. Stern, maybe, but he does have some flexibility to him. Thibs is a coach who has no tolerance, for example. It’s his way or the highway.
Maybe, just maybe, "You don't know (him), bruh."