[Game] Kings @ Rockets - 22 JAN 2014, 20:00 EST/17:00 PST

Which player's streak of consecutive games with a 3 pointer will end first?

• Kyle Korver

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Isaiah Thomas

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
More referring to Rudys. He played a lot last night and Achilles injury is a curious one.
Ok, but you said that a bunch of minutes were played and that there were 2 injuries and then indicated that the injuries might have been due to the minutes played.
If you only meant Rudy, then you would have said a single injury instead of including Cousins.
So I think it's just coincidence since Cousins was injured and he didn't play heavy minutes last night.

Ok, but you said that a bunch of minutes were played and that there were 2 injuries and then indicated that the injuries might have been due to the minutes played.
If you only meant Rudy, then you would have said a single injury instead of including Cousins.
So I think it's just coincidence since Cousins was injured and he didn't play heavy minutes last night.
My head hurts now...thanks.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It's still the third game in four nights; it's not as if he came in tonight well-rested. And you're not going to convince me that all that travel, sleeping in hotels, road schedule, change in routine, etc. doesn't have a deleterious effect on a player's rest.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm gonna be honest. If this roster is all I had to look forward to for the rest of the year, I'm not sure how many games I could watch. I know I would not be making any more trips to STA.

It's still the third game in four nights; it's not as if he came in tonight well-rested. And you're not going to convince me that all that travel, sleeping in hotels, road schedule, change in routine, etc. doesn't have a deleterious effect on a player's rest.
I have no problems with a coach resting impact players in a blow-out game.
However, if we're fighting for play-off position I don't want the coach to have a 35 minute limit and take out key players because he's afraid that they'll get hurt in the next game. And in my mind if I'm willing to let players play 40-42 minutes in close games to secure the victory I don't really have a leg to stand on if I'm calling out a coach if he decides to give them more minutes in a game which looks out of reach.

Now we are not a play-off bound team, but we are a team which is trying to learn how to win. We saw in the T-Wolves game that though we had the big league, we almost gave it away. So in this case, I had no problems with Malone playing the guys to make sure that it stayed a blow-out game.

I hate that Rudy and Cousins got hurt, but I don't want my coach to play these guys fearfully, because I don't believe that's a winning mentality.

I blame Coach Malone for our bad luck tonight. Not because of minutes played last night. First time all year he hasn't worn a tie. And a black shirt on top of that. That's bad mojo.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I have no problems with a coach resting impact players in a blow-out game.
However, if we're fighting for play-off position I don't want the coach to have a 35 minute limit and take out key players because he's afraid that they'll get hurt in the next game. And in my mind if I'm willing to let players play 40-42 minutes in close games to secure the victory I don't really have a leg to stand on if I'm calling out a coach if he decides to give them more minutes in a game which looks out of reach.

Now we are not a play-off bound team, but we are a team which is trying to learn how to win. We saw in the T-Wolves game that though we had the big league, we almost gave it away. So in this case, I had no problems with Malone playing the guys to make sure that it stayed a blow-out game.

I hate that Rudy and Cousins got hurt, but I don't want my coach to play these guys fearfully, because I don't believe that's a winning mentality.
That's all well, and to the good. I just want you to acknowledge that there is a cause and effect at play. There's significantly more than a non-zero chance that Malone got our two best players injured, in the name of cultivating a winning mentality.

The unfortunate part of wanting to see Landry come in in garbage time is that the 5/6 big man might be his role for that contract. I like athleticism versatility of acy/dwill in the bench unit the way it's currently composed and see Landry more of a offensive oriented ISo guy. How deep a rotation will Malone use? Hope Landry shows me something

I'm gonna be honest. If this roster is all I had to look forward to for the rest of the year, I'm not sure how many games I could watch. I know I would not be making any more trips to STA.
I certainly don't think I can watch this team play Indiana Friday without Cuz and Rudy

What else would you attribute it to, if not luck? It been medically proven that fatigue makes humans more susceptible to illness. Do you really think it's unreasonable that they'd be more susceptible to injury as well?
I worked as a strength and conditioning coach for roughly five years and I can 100% say with certainty that fatigue and overuse does increase the chance of injury. How much depends on the person but it's a clear factor. You get tired/fatigued, over compensate, balance is thrown off just a bit and increased pressure is put on joints/ligaments. Being tired itself screws up balance/coordination.

If recovery didn't matter and pro athletes were simply robots, they wouldn't be jumping in an ice bath after every game and getting massages most days of the week. It's really fatigue and lack of recovery time which can hurt an athlete.

BTW, I'm far behind everyone in watching this if you're wondering why I'm quoting this now.

That's all well, and to the good. I just want you to acknowledge that there is a cause and effect at play. There's significantly more than a non-zero chance that Malone got our two best players injured, in the name of cultivating a winning mentality.
Well, I'm not really certain what you want from me.
The fact is that the more a player is on the court, the more chances they will have for injury. That's a given.
But every coach has to make a choice in 'risking' their players by playing their best players more minutes. And it's always going to be a case of risk vs. reward, and sometimes you win that equation and sometimes you lose that equation, and there isn't any definitive line that you can draw to say 'This is bad and this is not bad' since injuries by their vary nature can't be predicted.
But given where the organization is at, Malone can't be 'risk'-averse if he wants to get this team headed in the right direction.

No-one knows what the numbers are, so it's impossible to speculate as to what is a good amount of minutes and what isn't, so I can't play the percentage game and say that Rudy was X% more likely to get injured in this game due to the increase of minutes the previous game. What is true, and will always be true is that the % definitely goes up the more time a player spends on the court, but the growth of that % is anyone's guess.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I worked as a strength and conditioning coach for roughly five years and I can 100% say with certainty that fatigue and overuse does increase the chance of injury. How much depends on the person but it's a clear factor. You get tired/fatigued, over compensate, balance is thrown off just a bit and increased pressure is put on joints/ligaments. Being tired itself screws up balance/coordination.

If recovery didn't matter and pro athletes were simply robots, they wouldn't be jumping in an ice bath after every game and getting massages most days of the week. It's really fatigue and lack of recovery time which can hurt an athlete.

BTW, I'm far behind everyone in watching this if you're wondering why I'm quoting this now.
But isn't it also true that not every injury is due to fatigue and overuse? That's what I've been arguing. It's easy to point to the road trip, extended minutes, etc. but it's also possible it was just a misstep and bad luck. People are also so quick to want to point a finger and ascribe blame when something like this happens. I do not fault Malone for the minutes Rudy played last night and, as others have pointed out, you cannot have a coach base his use of his roster on a fear of extended minutes leading to inevitable injury.

So that means IT should sit soon. As Grant is now pointing out.