Kings picking 13th overall (formerly the draft lotto thread)

Pointing out all the other player moms in the crowd after interviewing Clingan about his mom being dead seems a little insensitive lmao
That’s what I just thought I lost my mom 6 yrs ago a week before Mother’s Day 2weeks before her 94 yes 94 birthday. I’m a lot older than these young men but I thought what a hard question for this young man especially after pointing out the two other moms SMFH Still a tough day and I give big kudos to this young man keeping himself together.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Like considering where their roster is at and the general lack of consensus top star talent at the top of the class, there is pretty much no easy answer for what the Hawks should do here at all. They were already trying to trade Trae

I thought the Kings got the #2 pick after he announced it ....i thought he's announcing in a reverse order.... #1, then #2 ect....lol. I was excited but realize I was wrong and then felt disappointed lol. My brain was somewhere else lol...
This is the type of draft that's more about scouting than order if you're keeping the pick. Solid players all around, but if you find a star it's probably going to be a combo guard in this particular draft and trade wise those don't have a ton of value these days.

Very curious if this will have an implication for our trade flexibility? We still owe ATL a future conditional first, but with the #1 pick coming inaybe there's reason for them to get rid of it

I almost wonder if a package of Huerter and the #13 pick could get us something like Dejaunte Murray back and "forgiving" or returning the future first. Especially if they pick a combo guard and want give Huerter time to get right without pressure to rush back.

EDIT: Hawks have #1 pick not #3.

Very curious if this will have an implication for our trade flexibility? We still owe ATL a future conditional first, but with the #1 pick coming inaybe there's reason for them to get rid of it

I almost wonder if a package of Huerter and the #13 pick could get us something like Dejaunte Murray back and "forgiving" or returning the future first. Especially if they pick a combo guard and want give Huerter time to get right without pressure to rush back.

EDIT: Hawks have #1 pick not #3.
Can't see that package netting Murray. De'Andre Hunter, that should be the target. The Kings have to look at players with some negatives most likely and if they do, fit and upside is the way to go even if it's a gamble.

Can't see that package netting Murray. De'Andre Hunter, that should be the target. The Kings have to look at players with some negatives most likely and if they do, fit and upside is the way to go even if it's a gamble.
Hunter could be a solid buy low candidate. Hawks adding another $10M to their payroll I believe puts them in that $180-185M range for payroll after taking into account filling in the rest of the roster. I would think they have to get rid of 1 or 2 of their vets.

Hunter is an interesting idea. He'll be entering year 1 of a 4 year / $95mm contract. At quick glance, he played 30 mpg and missed some time. So if ATL decides to draft another ~6'7" SF maybe they'll look to move off him? Huerter & the 13th pick for Hunter & remitting our pick? Essentially we'd be giving them the pick we owe early (and it's BARELY a lotto pick anyways), making the trade functionally Huerter + the #13 pick for Hunter.

Wes Wilcox was with Hawks before coming here which prob means good relationships there

Easy to forget, if the Pelicans had beaten LA, we'd have faced the Lakers for the 8 seed, which is as much of a free win as Pelicans was against us. And instead of talking about the #13 pick this board would likely be in an ongoing meltdown over getting bounced by OKC

I feel like every "Bad draft" ends up having studs in the backend of the lotto.

13th is basically the first pick, people!
Agreed. I think there will a few players available at #13 that could become starters or eventual All-Star level players. It’s Monte’s job to pick the right guy. There’s always good players available at #13.

I’m hoping Monte keeps this pick and finds a cheap, price controlled gem at #13.

Last edited:
The Hawks finally winning the draft lotto but winning it in this particular draft class is Kings luck haha
No I want that Kings luck, really would take it. Anyway, generally theres a diamond or 2 in the rough in every draft.

I've seen 3 mock drafts having Kings pick Frenchman Salaun - good shooting form for his size, but most basketball highlights have those for non-center players. Didnt see many defensive highlights. He looks decent - would contribute immediately off the bench if selected his first season. Who knows what'll happen.