Kings picking 13th overall (formerly the draft lotto thread)

No I want that Kings luck, really would take it. Anyway, generally theres a diamond or 2 in the rough in every draft.

I've seen 3 mock drafts having Kings pick Frenchman Salaun - good shooting form for his size, but most basketball highlights have those for non-center players. Didnt see many defensive highlights. He looks decent - would contribute immediately off the bench if selected his first season. Who knows what'll happen.
If the Kings keep the pick going for pure upside and positional need with that kid would be a good idea. This draft is going to be a crap shoot. Saluan could easily be a riser.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Hunter is an interesting idea. He'll be entering year 1 of a 4 year / $95mm contract. At quick glance, he played 30 mpg and missed some time. So if ATL decides to draft another ~6'7" SF maybe they'll look to move off him? Huerter & the 13th pick for Hunter & remitting our pick? Essentially we'd be giving them the pick we owe early (and it's BARELY a lotto pick anyways), making the trade functionally Huerter + the #13 pick for Hunter.

Wes Wilcox was with Hawks before coming here which prob means good relationships there

Easy to forget, if the Pelicans had beaten LA, we'd have faced the Lakers for the 8 seed, which is as much of a free win as Pelicans was against us. And instead of talking about the #13 pick this board would likely be in an ongoing meltdown over getting bounced by OKC
Huerter (and salary filler) for Hunter straight up is already lopsided in favor of Atlanta. Why would we throw in the #13 pick too to take back a guy nobody wanted last off-season?

It's crazy to think Vlade went with the fringe Euro guy but then couldn't just draft Luka who was the complete no brainer pick on all levels.
Don't forget...Vlade saw a lot of the dude. Vlade knew he was going to be special in this league.

It was just the rest of us...Who apparently were so dang clueless about who the heck Vlade was bringing to Sacramento...:p:p:p

I'd flip HB+13, absolutely. Hunter, Avdija, etc.

There's warts with Hunter, but always been a fan of the talent and when if you can ever get him healthy, he's about as ideal as it gets as a role-playing wing in the NBA. Huerter struggled this year, but no coincidence he had a career season last year when he got away from Trae Young. Domas's best superpower is probably his ability to really elevate his teammates into career seasons. Over the past 2 years, like pretty much everyone in the rotation, for at least 1 year, showed out a career best mark or damn close to it.

Came across this video on another forum but haven't seen this guy's name on some mock drafts.

AJ Johnson. He played in the NBL last season. Looks quick and athletic.

I think there's plenty of talent in this draft at the back end of the lottery and #13 is a great place to be. Wings or a stretch 4, who can also play defense/rim protect should be in order. Taking a look at the draft board I really like Dalton Knecht, Cody Williams, Tristian De Silva or even Kyle Filipowski and it seems like 3 of 4 should be available by the time pick 13 rolls around.

I would go for best player available usually. And at our point order in the draft a lot of teams ahead of us just may make their decision on need and that may make our choice easier.

We have Sasha that needs playing time and I hate to go with a small 6’3” guard unless Monty has what he feels like a sure winner. other than that I would love another big center as I believe that is a weakness we need to address.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
wasn't the lottery usually held on a Thursday? what changed?
The NBA Draft is usually held on a Thursday. The NBA Draft Lottery is held on a day that ABC/ESPN has the broadcast rights to the NBA Playoffs. That does not occur on a Thursday until the conference finals; the first two rounds of the playoffs, ABC/ESPN only has broadcast rights on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.

So the lottery occurring on a Sunday means that ABC/ESPN did not want to wait until the conference finals to hold the lottery. Why? I don't know, and will be answering no further questions on the subject.

I'm wondering about him also. Good length, good shooting. No info on defence.

No I want that Kings luck, really would take it. Anyway, generally theres a diamond or 2 in the rough in every draft.

I've seen 3 mock drafts having Kings pick Frenchman Salaun - good shooting form for his size, but most basketball highlights have those for non-center players. Didnt see many defensive highlights. He looks decent - would contribute immediately off the bench if selected his first season. Who knows what'll happen.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Vecenie keeps mocking McCain to us largely due to him thinking we lose Monk. Don’t love the idea of using 13 to replace monk with a s similar skill set but not as good and not ready.

the Ringer description Kyle flip as have shades of a “health Zach Collins” if that’s true I’d take a close look at him
I have an aversion to Dukies but we could do worse. I don't think we should try to draft a Monk replacement aside from thinking if there actually are any they will likely be picked before we do.

Vecenie keeps mocking McCain to us largely due to him thinking we lose Monk. Don’t love the idea of using 13 to replace monk with a s similar skill set but not as good and not ready.

the Ringer description Kyle flip as have shades of a “health Zach Collins” if that’s true I’d take a close look at him
Small Duke SG. Seth Curry part 2 more than likely. Not terrible but yeah, no thanks.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a bit of a lazy trend to mock guards to the Kings to replace Malik. No rookie guard is going to replace what Monk does for this team and I think it's a bad idea to go into a draft looking to plug a specific hole in the first place.

Also (and I've made this point before) shooting & scoring is only part of Monk's impact on this team. His playmaking is huge. His personality is infectious. And his ability to make highlight plays (especially when attacking the rim) up the energy of everyone around him.

If the Kings lose him in free agency it's a huge blow and even drafting a guy like Dillingham (who is maybe the closest prospect to Monk in this draft) wouldn't change that. At least not next season.

Side note - I don't think Dillingham gets out of the top ten, and while he's a scorer and shotmaker with some upside as a passer, he's nowhere near the athlete Malik is.

It's a bit of a lazy trend to mock guards to the Kings to replace Malik. No rookie guard is going to replace what Monk does for this team and I think it's a bad idea to go into a draft looking to plug a specific hole in the first place.

Also (and I've made this point before) shooting & scoring is only part of Monk's impact on this team. His playmaking is huge. His personality is infectious. And his ability to make highlight plays (especially when attacking the rim) up the energy of everyone around him.

If the Kings lose him in free agency it's a huge blow and even drafting a guy like Dillingham (who is maybe the closest prospect to Monk in this draft) wouldn't change that. At least not next season.

Side note - I don't think Dillingham gets out of the top ten, and while he's a scorer and shotmaker with some upside as a passer, he's nowhere near the athlete Malik is.
We know coach Brown, betting on any pick playing a big role next season is a bad one to make. Maybe the first round C's are the best bet since they seem to be more developed and size is size. Even so, unlikely.

I like either one of the Colorado duo. Ideally Cody Williams, but Thunder probably pick him if he’s available and have him play alongside his bro. De Silva is a high IQ player and sort of reminds me of Jaquez. If we’re looking for a dynamic guard to possibly replace Monk, I’m big on Carrington

100% it would be rare for a rookie to come in and do what Monk did. Whoever we draft dont expect much this year unless you get a rare player.

We know coach Brown, betting on any pick playing a big role next season is a bad one to make. Maybe the first round C's are the best bet since they seem to be more developed and size is size. Even so, unlikely.
It depends on the player picking up the defense more than anything else. Saying because of Brown would be false when Keegan just did last year.